Achiever Ruled Inelgible, SPA going to state

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

Post by massalsa »

SECoach

Post by SECoach »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
powerplayer wrote:
u12dad wrote:I am a parent of a United Player. If true, which present indications are, the right thing for the MSHSL to do would be to schedule Henry Sibley to play Mahtomedi, possibly tonight/tomorrow and have the championship game on Saturday. I believe that I speak for all parents that we do not want a free pass to the State Tournament. It appears that the MSHSL has taken the first step, please make it right for all rule abiding teams in section 4A!
Super classy u12dad. I hope this is how they do it. It is sad to think that the other teams in your section should be punished for the wrong doings of AA. Good luck!
The problem with that is what if Mahto wins? Does SSP then get to play Mahto since they wouldn't have had to play SPU in the Semi's? Does Chisago Lakes get back in as a 3 seed since they would have played SP Blades, then the Sibley/SPU winner, thus avoiding a first round upset by Mahto? How far do you take it?

What a huge black eye for girls hockey and the MSHSL.
Let me walk you through how it works........Players sign up for a sport. They complete paperwork that is signed by parents and turned in to the school. There are questions such "Did you enroll at this school for the first time during the last 12 months?"

Once the team is picked, the coach submits a roster to the athletic department. The school athletic department then electronically certifies to the MSHSL who is on that roster and that the players meet all eligibility requirements. The MSHSL accepts the schools statement and only investigate when a complaint is filed. Yes, they trust the schools to either do their job, or not cheat.

This is not a black eye on girls hockey or the MSHSL. It is however a black eye on AA, the AA administrators and coaches, and the parents that completed forms knowing they were inaccurate. I do feel sorry for those that sought out information from the school and coaches and were provided inaccurate information. The parents could have surely completed their paperwork accurately, and then the school certified the roster regardless of what that answers were. This falls 100% on AA.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

SECoach wrote:This is not a black eye on girls hockey or the MSHSL. It is however a black eye on AA, the AA administrators and coaches, and the parents that completed forms knowing they were inaccurate. I do feel sorry for those that sought out information from the school and coaches and were provided inaccurate information. The parents could have surely completed their paperwork accurately, and then the school certified the roster regardless of what that answers were. This falls 100% on AA.
I totally agree with SECoach on this.

Now I wonder:

1. What will happen to the program next year, how many of the girls will leave, transferring to other schools? Will AA even be able to field a varsity team?

2. If so, will Chris Peterson survive and return as coach?

3. Were the new owners aware of these potential issues when they decided to step in and buy the organization? If not, do they have any legal recourse against the former owners if the school itself does not survive this and they lose their entire investment?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Wow.

All this drama, heartache, teeth gnashing, and disappointment.

For what ?

High school hockey.............

Pathetic doesn't begin to describe the mindset that allowed this to happen.

Massive miss on priorities in life.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Most girls will be eligible to play as noted above. If not, they can always go to the Thoroughbreds.

Other teams have players from WI on their teams. Hill has four that played youth hockey in Western WI. Maybe they have all moved to MN).

If AA manages to stay a float the team will return next year with good potential. There are maybe 2 seniors on this team.

While the MSHSL is cordial and welcomes them back next year, the real issue maybe finding other HS to play next year during the regular season.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

A few quick notes:

1. This topic has blown up so much that it would be difficult for me or another admin to police everything, but if I find something out of line, I'm deleting it, at the very least. Our normal rules about civility and libel apply.

2. We already have two threads devoted to this. There is no need to make new ones. If you want to bring up things discussed on an old topic, link to it in one of the existing topics.
Nordic

Post by Nordic »

Some people are acting like this is a surprise, what about the forum that was started on Nov 5th by BP. It was brought up then. I remembered it, but did not read through it again. But I thought this was brought up then. So some people just waited until it really meant something, during the sections. Then sent in the facts. Bomb.... Boom....
But, one team is left out from playing in the section championship and the chance to EARN the opportunity to play in a state game. Those are the girls I feel sorry for. I would like to hear what people think should happen to the coach. Because no one is going to convince me he did not know. Can penalties be handed down there?
Maybe in the end, some parents, players knew this was a chance it would happen this way. And the ice time and training was worth it. Just a thought, no facts on that.
Peace to all, hope the state girls have a good fun tournament.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Marty

You are correct about the quality of team they could have next yr.
10 of the girls on roster are 7th, 8th, and 9th graders(see MSHSL website)

I personally saw them a couple of times and the young players were awfully good against nice competition.

The MSHSL statement seems to indicate that the school has a future with them, but, who knows...

Also, Hill has 5 Wisconsin girls on varsity roster and they all live in Wi.
Living in another state is not the problem if you join the school before the 10th grade.However, treating what is actually a transfer as a move for immediate eligibility is a BIG problem
Marty

Post by Marty »

The non-residency rule was probably and originally put in place to prevent a few teams from brining in out of state basketball players for a season, etc... Bet no one envisioned it being an issue in girls hockey.

I brought up the HM WI girls not because there were possible violations, but because some on this thread and the other thread seem to think that simply living in another state precludes you from play MSHSL sports. Not true if you follow the rules.
ERhockeydad

Post by ERhockeydad »

I feel bad for girls that transferred for the hope of exceeding and trying to make it to state. What happens to the 10th and 11th grades going into next year?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

I'll echo other's comments; the powers that be have had all season to rule on this.

Why now ?

What took so long ?
TXinMyRearView

Post by TXinMyRearView »

puckbreath wrote:I'll echo other's comments; the powers that be have had all season to rule on this.

Why now ?

What took so long ?
Because they were doing well enough to threaten the success of other more established programs, would be my guess...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Wasn't it the very recent email that triggered the whole controversy? If that email hadn't been sent would we even be discussing the issue?