Class AA State Seedings and discussion

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Class AA State Seedings and discussion

Post by Sparlimb »

My prediction is below. You could make an argument for HM to be #1 as they have beaten both BSM and EP, but I already know BSM will get rewarded for coming through 6AA. You could also make an argument for Lakeville North as the #3 seed, but EP will get credit for their conference record and beating Edina. Burnsville and Mounds View could upset in the 1st round, but I think Andover or Roseau will have a mammoth task to make the semis. Obviously anything can happen and we will have a new champion this year. Congrats to all teams and good luck!

Seed.....Team..........................Record.............Record vs Tourney
1..........Benilde-St. Margaret.....25-2-1.............4-1 (Loss to HM)
2..........Hill-Murray..................24-3-1.............4-1 (Loss to LN)
3..........Eden Prairie.................21-7................0-3
4..........Lakeville North.............22-4-2.............2-3
5..........Burnsville....................21-7................1-1
............Mounds View...............17-8-3.............0-2
............Andover......................16-9-3.............1-1
............Roseau.......................16-12...............0-1
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I think you nailed the top 4 but i would place both MV and Andover above Burnsville. And I would give the edge to Andover for the 5th spot but MV arguably came through a tougher section.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

I'm afraid they won't take into account the Lake conference championship when they do the seeding.

1) BSM
2) EP
3) Hill
4) Lakeville
5) Mounds View
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

You can't say that the Lake conference has fallen this year, since it was arguably the toughest it ever was historically, but ironically you also won't see two Lake teams in the top 4 in State as we've seen for quite a few years in a row.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:I'm afraid they won't take into account the Lake conference championship when they do the seeding.

1) BSM
2) EP
3) Hill
4) Lakeville
5) Mounds View
I don't see EP being seeded over HM since HM has 4 less losses and owns a 5-0 win over EP. I know EP is currently ranked higher, but on those two facts alone it doesn't make sense...
iceage

Post by iceage »

Sparlimb wrote:
D6 Girls Fan wrote:I'm afraid they won't take into account the Lake conference championship when they do the seeding.

1) BSM
2) EP
3) Hill
4) Lakeville
5) Mounds View
I don't see EP being seeded over HM since HM has 4 less losses and owns a 5-0 win over EP. I know EP is currently ranked higher, but on those two facts alone it doesn't make sense...
HM also beat BSM in their only meeting.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

That's the art part of the seeding, isn't it? If HM was 5-23, but defeated both EP and BSM, they would clearly be seeded below both. If HM was 28-0, but defeated both EP and BSM, they would be seeded above. The actual results are somewhere in between, although much closer to the latter. HM and BSM have very similar records, but BSM with a much stronger SOS. I think that the seeders give more weight to head-to-head than to SOS and 6AA and give #1 to HM and #2 to BSM. This might actually motivate BSM more since they felt slighted at receiving the #2 seed in 6AA as well.

1 HM
2 BSM
3 EP
4 LN (although I could see them sneaking up to #3 based on performances at last two state tourneys against Tonka)
5 MV

When do seedings come out?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

sinbin wrote:That's the art part of the seeding, isn't it? If HM was 5-23, but defeated both EP and BSM, they would clearly be seeded below both. If HM was 28-0, but defeated both EP and BSM, they would be seeded above. The actual results are somewhere in between, although much closer to the latter. HM and BSM have very similar records, but BSM with a much stronger SOS. I think that the seeders give more weight to head-to-head than to SOS and 6AA and give #1 to HM and #2 to BSM. This might actually motivate BSM more since they felt slighted at receiving the #2 seed in 6AA as well.

1 HM
2 BSM
3 EP
4 LN (although I could see them sneaking up to #3 based on performances at last two state tourneys against Tonka)
5 MV

When do seedings come out?
Seedings will be out sometime this afternoon. Only reason I thought Burnsville might get #5 is they were a #1 seed in their section and MV was #3. Hard to say. I'd like to have a discussion with someone that knows why Blaine roars into sections every year with something like a 22-3 record and always gets upset by Irondale and Mounds View?

In fact, Class A Bracket already posted:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showXMLbrack ... acket=6550
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

When I look at the schedules of Hill and Benilde, I don't see a whole lot to separate the two teams. Neither of them plays a particularly difficult conference schedule and both of them play a tough non-conference slate, with Benilde's probably being slightly more difficult. When you look at common opponents, both defeated Chaska, Eden Prairie and Mounds View. Benilde lost to Edina, which Hill tied and Benilde beat Lakeville North, which Hill split two games against. Hill beat Benilde head to head at Benilde, which could give them an edge in the seeding, but Benilde came through what is annually the toughest section in the state while Hill's section was not as tough this year as it has been in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens in the seeding meeting today. Good lucks to all sixteen teams in the state tournament.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

AA bracket is up
#2 Hill-Murray vs. Burnsville
#3 EdenPrairie vs. Andover
#1 Benilde-St. Margaret's vs. Roseau
#5 Mounds View vs. #4 Lakeville North
Marty

Post by Marty »

slacsap wrote:AA bracket is up
#2 Hill-Murray vs. Burnsville
#3 EdenPrairie vs. Andover
#1 Benilde-St. Margaret's vs. Roseau
#5 Mounds View vs. #4 Lakeville North
Seems about right. It truly does not matter if you lose the quarter, the semi, or the final game - a loss is a loss and you are not state champion.

Should be some good hockey games.