Attendance at the State Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Marty wrote:Remember when Warroad HS beat the USA Women's (pre-Olympic) team in 2006 ?
I did attend the USA women's/Hopkins game leading up to the 2010 Olympics and the USA team won! Pretty sure the score was 6-5. And as I recall they also beat Eagan and one of the Rochester teams (Century?) that year.

Yes, in high school the boys are bigger/stronger/faster than the girls, and as you would expect the game is also faster. But the better girls teams are very talented and compete every bit as hard as the boys. And from a fan's perspective they offer one huge advantage over the boys: you get to see the most skilled players available at their age group. This past season over 40 of the most skilled boy players left their high schools early for juniors, and this trend has had an adverse impact on the quality of play.

Contrast this with girls hockey in Minnesota where nearly all players play for their school all the way through their senior year...and then the very best go straight to D1 programs and play as true freshmen. AND, once they are playing college, the same thing applies: you get to see the best players at those age groups as none of the top players leave early for the pros (with one major exception, when the very best like an Amanda Kessel leave their college team to play in the Olympics, but that only happens once every four years, and do generally return to their college team if they have any eligibility remaining).

A little off track from the topic at hand, but I really do appreciate the fact that with the girls game you are able to see the very best talent there is - at each age level and right here in Minnesota - as players advance and improve their skills, all the way through D1 if that's the route they choose.
about22pandas

Post by about22pandas »

LZ94 wrote:
So if you don't take her to the nicest restaurant, does she get really pissed?

:oops:
You have no idea :lol:
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Attendance will pick up as the talent depth increases. Same for the boys single A teams, usually a strong first line then a noticeable drop. When parity between 3 or 4 lines happens then the folks will come watch!!
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

I'd personally like to see them extend the girls hockey season another couple of weeks and then host the girls and boys state hockey championships back to back on the same day. I think it would be huge for a full day of hockey and for the girls to get the same crowd as the boys would be stellar...don't shoot me..it's just a pipe dream

1 pm A girls
3 pm A boys
6 pm AA girls
8 pm AA boys
MNHockeyFan

Re: f

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Tenoverpar wrote: 1 pm A girls
3 pm A boys
6 pm AA girls
8 pm AA boys
Interesting thought, but I think if the boys and girls tournaments were run simultaneously it would be just too much. As it is with the just the boys, there is a LOT of hockey being played, with 16 teams and a total of 22 games in just four days. Adding in the A and AA girls would double that!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Even with Ridder and Mariucci in the mix in addition to Xcel? Even if temporally feasible, I think that means that girls first games would not be at Xcel.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

wolfman wrote:For starters move the whole tourney to Ridder Arena. Dont mess with the ticket prices for the first year and see what happens. I have a feeling if it was free there would be about the same amount of people showing up. I just think it would be so much better for the girls and the fans that show up at Ridder. I went one day to girls tourney down in St. Paul and the girls dont need to play at Xcel. IMO
I know is not the intent of this thread, but there are technical issues with playing at the Xcel when it's nearly empty. My son played there a couple games as a goalie in the Schwan's Cup. He hates it. The dark green (empty) seats makes tracking the puck nearly impossible. The sounds that make the game so enjoyable to watch and play, are muffled. It's difficult to hear voices, stick taps, skates and pucks banking off the boards.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I suppose it would be the same issue for both goalies, assuming both ends are equally filled (or un-filled). As a skater, my daughter enver had an issue with tracking the puck. Perhaps it does vary by goalie vs. skater?
Marty

Post by Marty »

The two week stagger is designed to allow for enough facilities and officials to cover the play-off push in both leagues.

If the girls followed the boys, they would not start their season until / about December 1. State rules designate HS sports last no longer than 17 weeks from day 1 to state championship game.

You will not move boys hockey earlier ... there is already some conflict with Fall football.
U14ABystander

Post by U14ABystander »

Another way to create more interest in the girls state tournament: Fix the sections or reformat the playoffs so that you actually have the best teams in the state playing. It is ridiculous that Minnetonka, Benilde, Wayzata, Hopkins, and Maple Grove are in the same section. The first 4 have been 4 of the best teams in the state the last few years, and Maple Grove is going to join them and be very good for the next 3 years too. That section tournament displays way more talent than the state tournament does.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

"Ridiculous"? I'm sick of the city-its whining about the lack of more metro teams in the tournament. Wah,wah, wah. The tournament is about geographic inclusiveness. NO different than any other sport having divisions. Is it "fair" the Seahawks and 49ers couldn't both be in the superbowl? Programs talent level cycles. someone who is good this year may not be in a few years. The reason the tournament is good for HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is that you get representation from all over the state. Now go back and finish your gerbers strained carrots, whiner. :roll:
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Pepperpot you just dont understand. Let me explain it to you. The top six teams from section 6 should go to state every year. All the good players and teams are in section 6. The coaches in section 6 are some of the best (recruiters)in the country. I hear Tonka has a new 9th grader coming that is the real deal. Im sure Benilde will reload this summer. :lol:
notahockeyguy

Post by notahockeyguy »

Here are the ticket sales for section 6 this year. Semi-Finals at Parade 4 top teams. Student sales 608 Adult sales 616. Finals at Ridder. Ep Edina Bsm Wayzata 464 student 558 adult. You make the determination of how big of following girls hockey has.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

pepperpot wrote:"Ridiculous"? I'm sick of the city-its whining about the lack of more metro teams in the tournament. Wah,wah, wah. The tournament is about geographic inclusiveness. NO different than any other sport having divisions. Is it "fair" the Seahawks and 49ers couldn't both be in the superbowl? Programs talent level cycles. someone who is good this year may not be in a few years. The reason the tournament is good for HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is that you get representation from all over the state. Now go back and finish your gerbers strained carrots, whiner. :roll:
Sounds like the classic case of the pepperpot calling the pepperkettle black!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Sounds like the classic case of the pepperpot calling the pepperkettle black!
No question pepperpot likes to "stir the pot" on occasion! :wink:
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Is it right that we're taking potshots at pepperpot?
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Could the girls tournament ever go back to Ridder? How would they go about this? MGHCA make recommendation to MSHSL or what other avenue?
LZ94

Post by LZ94 »

Rocketwrister wrote:Could the girls tournament ever go back to Ridder? How would they go about this? MGHCA make recommendation to MSHSL or what other avenue?
RW - I will paste my post from the previous page about this - but I'll remove my Cloquet snarkiness about Cloquet so 22Panda doesn't get in trouble from his Lumberjill.

"The X gave the MSHSL the arena for free when the unmentionables sued.

Since there is no charge for the building, the MSHSL will never move the tourney from the X until that changes.

They would have to pay the U to rent Ridder, so it's a better deal to play in an arena with no atmosphere, than to try and make the games better at Ridder. "

Also, the MGHCA basically has NO power over the decisions the MSHSL makes, regardless of what their brass tries to tell you.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

about22pandas wrote:Why does everyone think the girls want to go to Ridder?

The Cloquet girls didn't and the girls out there now don't, either.

The biggest problem with attendance is the fact that boys sectionals are the same weekend. The cost matters, but slightly.

If you want the girls state tournament to get headway, amazing attendance and something that wont affect the boys tournament?
Move the girls to the weekend after the boys, instead of 2 weeks beforehand.

For instance, I am dating one of the "Cloquet girls" that get thrown under the bus by everyone. Her coach in 2004 or 05 cared more about watching his son play sections rather than them advancing in the consolation bracket, so they put in their backup goalie who didn't start the entire year and they got demolished since she was terrible. He did this so they didn't have to play Saturday so he could watch his son play instead of being stuck in St Paul.

*** high school coach? ***

If the girls tournament was after the boys I guarantee attendance would double. Its just a hard sale when you have boys sections and youth tournaments going on, on top of all the other hockey. Switch seasons or just have the girls start a week later then the boys in November and problem solved.
about22pandas

Post by about22pandas »

Ha no worries, I won't get in trouble. I think its interesting! I'm not from the area so I just wanted to throw out the side she's told me. I definitely understand where the hostility comes from.

For my opinion on the lawsuit - Were the girls paying for a host previously and were the boys getting the X rented for free? If this was the case I'd totally file a lawsuit too, that's gender bias.

Personally? I want it to be a great experience which will promote girls hockey. At Ridder the crowds would still suck, possibly be good for a couple years since its an exciting new thing but beyond that, unless we change the culture and even possibly the dates of the tournament, its still going to be the 5th best thing to do that weekend hockey wise. Since UofM will be on, Wild and HS boys sections, plus all the youth hockey... its not going to sellout or even have a good crowd unless its not competing against those factors.

And yes, Rocket, I was informed one of the coaches (probably head coach) wanted to get back up north to watch a sections game for his kid in 04 or 05, so they tanked consolation to go home early.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

04-05...that would of been Bartholdi (spelling???) , who (i believe) has 2 daughters...no boys. huh, either way...

fact of the matter is girls hockey is 2nd stage to boys; and to be honest that won't change.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

pepperpot wrote:"Ridiculous"? I'm sick of the city-its whining about the lack of more metro teams in the tournament. Wah,wah, wah. The tournament is about geographic inclusiveness. NO different than any other sport having divisions. Is it "fair" the Seahawks and 49ers couldn't both be in the superbowl? Programs talent level cycles. someone who is good this year may not be in a few years. The reason the tournament is good for HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is that you get representation from all over the state. Now go back and finish your gerbers strained carrots, whiner. :roll:
I really don't care either way, but I just want to get some clarity. Are you saying that the state tournament is better with teams from all over the state or are you saying the tournament is better if teams from "your" part of the state get in? Are we talking about the "real" hockey people from up north. I bet what you meant to say is that the state tournament would be better if a team from Moorhead, Warroad, Duluth, Rochester and Mankato got in right???? ALL outstate areas correct??? I think we should make a rule that any team that got in last year can not get in the following year! After all... others daughters (i mean schools) "deserve" their "turn"!!!

Can't wait for Wolfman to pull up his diapers, wipe the snot from his pouty nose and chime in on this one! Enlighten me o'moon worshipper, where is this 9th grade "real deal" move in coming from? or is this just puppy breath your spewing out?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The Wolfman just reports what he hears on the street. The Wolfman also loves to poke fun at section 6. The Wolfman also thinks this Forum is a lot of fun. The Wolfman will not name kids names but he will drop some hints hear and there. Howl for the Wolfman......
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

wolfman wrote:The Wolfman just reports what he hears on the street. The Wolfman also loves to poke fun at section 6. The Wolfman also thinks this Forum is a lot of fun. The Wolfman will not name kids names but he will drop some hints hear and there. Howl for the Wolfman......
Not bad! :lol:
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

The MN_Bowhunter wants to change his name. The MN_Bowhunter thinks it sounds silly when he talks about himself in the 3rd person. The MN_Bowhunter thinks it sounds way more awesomer when The Wolfman does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1al92PfXBXA