HP 16 & 17 this weekend

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

HP 16 & 17 this weekend

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Last time I checked there were rosters for only 3 of the 8 sections with no schools and no coaches listed.

Has the MGHCA running this for Mn Hockey finally shot themselves in the foot for they way they have been operating the last few years? Have the players finally figured out that unless they are in the correct off season program it is not worth the time, money and frustration?
Maybe it is time for better leadership.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Meant the first weekend in April

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Not sure what is going on. I know that for the 17 section 6A/AA tryouts there were not enough players trying out to even roster the compliment of 18 skaters. Everyone who tried out made it. This from the section with large schools like Minnetonka, Wayzata, Maple Grove and the powerhouse Benilde.

Ritz727272

Post by Ritz727272 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:44 am

After the HP15 joke last year, I'm not surprised this is becoming a bygone. My daughter made the 102 last year, but didn't even want to do it this year for the 16. Week in St. Cloud was a waste, and for the $, better off getting a summer of Os for the same cost as a fundraiser for MN hockey in st. Cloud

pucktech

Post by pucktech » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:05 am

demongoed wrote:Not sure what is going on. I know that for the 17 section 6A/AA tryouts there were not enough players trying out to even roster the compliment of 18 skaters. Everyone who tried out made it. This from the section with large schools like Minnetonka, Wayzata, Maple Grove and the powerhouse Benilde.
Section 6 (17's) looks to be the only one with this issue. All others have over 18 rostered.
All rosters are now posted except Section 2. Section 2's finishing their tryouts today 3-30-14 so they should be posted this week.

HP 17's Rosters -- www.minnesotahockey.org/page/show/799515-hp-17-rosters

HP 16's Rosters -- www.minnesotahockey.org/page/show/799476-hp-16-rosters

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 pm

demongoed wrote:Not sure what is going on. I know that for the 17 section 6A/AA tryouts there were not enough players trying out to even roster the compliment of 18 skaters. Everyone who tried out made it. This from the section with large schools like Minnetonka, Wayzata, Maple Grove and the powerhouse Benilde.
It might be a reach but I am guessing that the 18th player on section 6's 17 team might be filled by someone who did not even go to the tryouts.
She was playing in a hockey tourney out of the state while tryouts were being held.

Skipped tryouts and made the roster?!?!

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 pm

I've seen this for a long time, and this is no better or worse then any year in the past. It is all based on what families are hoping to get out of it.

If you are looking for a chance for your daughter to skate with some different people and work with a couple different coaches, and understand that some sections have more talent than others at a given age group, but in general the Spring Festival is a fun weekend of about average HS level competition. This is a solid event. If your child makes the final 54 great, the choices are harder now then ever, as there are more very good players, but not as many elite players, so yes some kids that could've made it won't, beauty is in the eye of the person upstairs with the pen. Making it to National Camp is a great experience for an elite few, and a chance to get on the ice with high level D1 coaches. In most cases the right kids make it to this level, although I think it's fair to argue more MN kids deserve to go based on our top end talent (so with that said there are some kids who are good enough who don't get invited).

If you are looking for player development at the early levels this is not the thing for you. If you are worried about cost this is not the thing for you, as it is probably a little higher priced for the amount of ice and player development you get (always has been), especially when compared with opportunities offered by the MGHCA. If you think it's all politics, this is not the event for you, being involved for many years there is very little politics involved, but that won't change your mind as that is the only way to explain why your little darling isn't good enough.

Last it's typical to see the highest level of participation at the 15 level, and as the girls get older there are a number of reasons they choose not to participate anymore including:

Didn't advance at younger ages, so doesn't want to try again
Spring Sport
Spring Break
Burnt out
Other conflicts (the whole process is rather long, and players are highly encouraged to be at everything)
Cost
Travel

I'm sure there are many more reasons as well.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Skipped tryouts and made the roster?!?![/quote]

Maybe they saved a spot for Grace Bizal of Hopkins as she was playing in the U18 world championships in Budapest as a 16 year old. I am guessing that she might have made that team had she been here. (sorry for the sarcasm over two posts)

bmk1234

Post by bmk1234 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:05 pm

pucktech wrote:
Section 6 (17's) looks to be the only one with this issue. All others have over 18 rostered.
All rosters are now posted except Section 2. Section 2's finishing their tryouts today 3-30-14 so they should be posted this week.

Section 2 for 17's has about 11 skaters trying out. 16's have about 16.

pucktech

Post by pucktech » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:05 am

All Rosters are now posted. Section 6 and Section 2 (17's) both look low on numbers. Section 4 (17's) only has 19 rostered. All others rostering 20.

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:16 am

Unless a couple of these teams shorten the bench (and how can you when everyone's paying?) I like D4 or D1 in the 17's.

The 16's are more of a toss-up. I'll go with D2 for no other reason than loyalty.

I'd also be surprised if they didn't find a way to fill out those teams that are short.

beenthere

HP program

Post by beenthere » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Money grab. been through it for boys and girls all the same. They keep changing the name but still the same. Latest case in point senior classic selection for NIT . watch !! not one who didn't donate to hp or reebok or whatever they call it next year will not make it. Truth be told the have a pre determined list and it starts at 15 yes there will be a change here or there through 17's but watch and see for those of you just starting. I know several that have been asked to participate without trying out over the years. Many high school coaches do not support these programs and it hurts there players chances. Pony up the cash !! Oh if you ask there is an evaluation formula but what is it ? your guess is as good as mine.

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Looks like a couple teams did fill their rosters out, at least at 17s

U10Father

Post by U10Father » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 am

Someone explain D6's roster to me.

Kids from other Districts, kids playing out of position... Very good top end talent, but ?

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:41 am

Some players were added to sections that were short on players. These placements were for players who made the spring festival, but were unsure if they could attend, do to playing in Nationals in Boston. Instead of reserving a roster spot that might not be used, the players Including SSM players were put in limbo until they were sure they would be attending the spring festival and then placed on roster that needed players.

Don't Poke The Bear

Post by Don't Poke The Bear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Anybody know why they aren't posting scores on MN Hockey website for the girls? Scoring is live on the boys' side.

Updates anyone?

OnTheBench

Post by OnTheBench » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Don't Poke The Bear wrote:Anybody know why they aren't posting scores on MN Hockey website for the girls? Scoring is live on the boys' side.

Updates anyone?
As far as I am aware, they have never posted the scores for the girls. The only place to find that information is here. This weekend it has varied from game to game whether they even announce who scored after a goal or the shot totals at the end of the periods. I don't recall them announcing that information in previous years either.

Here is what I wrote down for scores through this afternoon.

16's
3A/AA 2 4A/AA 3
1A/AA 5 6A/AA 4
5A/AA 2 8A/AA 1
2A/AA 1 7A/AA 0
3A/AA 1 6A/AA 3

17'S
3A/AA 1 4A/AA 2
1A/AA 7 6A/AA 4
5A/AA 3 8A/AA 4
2A/AA 0 7A/AA 1
3A/AA 2 6A/AA 0

pucktech

Post by pucktech » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 pm

Don't Poke The Bear wrote:Anybody know why they aren't posting scores on MN Hockey website for the girls? Scoring is live on the boys' side.

Updates anyone?
OnTheBench wrote:As far as I am aware, they have never posted the scores for the girls. The only place to find that information is here. This weekend it has varied from game to game whether they even announce who scored after a goal or the shot totals at the end of the periods. I don't recall them announcing that information in previous years either.
Score tickers now up and game stats listed: shots, goals & assists (only thing not listed is who infracted penalties).

www.minnesotahockey.org/highperformance ... -16-and-17

CrossXbar

Post by CrossXbar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Anyone know when or how to find out who made the final 54?

bmk1234

Post by bmk1234 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:11 pm

CrossXbar wrote:Anyone know when or how to find out who made the final 54?
Final 54's are posted.
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sho ... -16-and-17

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Need some rumors that have drifted my way confirmed if possible.
Seems there are a number of players on the final 54 for both the 16 and 17 that were not on the festival rosters, did they pay for the first part or did they get a free ride to the final 54?

#2. Friday all decisions were made did not mater how good you did.

Some people involved thought the whole weekend was a joke and a waste of time.
If anyone has any way to confirm maybe things can get changed(hopefully).

OnTheBench

Post by OnTheBench » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:18 am

greybeard58 wrote:Need some rumors that have drifted my way confirmed if possible.
Seems there are a number of players on the final 54 for both the 16 and 17 that were not on the festival rosters, did they pay for the first part or did they get a free ride to the final 54?
Looking at the rosters, I can count a total of four girls who weren't listed on section teams that made the 54's. That includes two players who were busy on the USA 18's during the section tryout phase (one at each age level). The other two were national camp players last year (also one at each age level). I believe one was recovering from an injury and the other was getting over an illness. I have no inside information on how the process works, but I can say that every single player listed on a section roster this year that received an invite to the national camp at both the 15's and 16's levels last year made it to the 54's this year. As such, it is not surprising that a couple of top players who were unable to participate in the festival received an invite to the next phase. Some might say that this confirms that the process is unfair and the slots are predetermined. Others might say that it is simply the case that it is pretty obvious who the top players are, and it is entirely reasonable to provide some level of accommodation for special circumstances such as an injury. Regarding the selection process during the festival, I can say that on my daughter's team the girls who were selected stood out above the rest. Maybe one or two more girls could have been selected for the 54's, but I don't believe there were any obvious slights.

blueblood

greybeard

Post by blueblood » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:26 pm

What's your deal? Why don't you offer to volunteer your time to MN Hockey or do you like to sit back toss mud to see what sticks?

Unless you've been in the evalution process, you are nothing but a monday morning qb trying to discredit alot of hard working volunteers.

-bb

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:54 pm

BB
First off I have been involved one way or another since before the current HP system has been in place. During that time I have seen the 15's organized by the Districts and the 16 and 17's run basically by high school coaches first for the boys and later the MGHCA convinced Mn Hockey and changed the girls format to follow the boys. The boys process for years has been political and unfortunately the girls became the same way.
I have personally witnessed some very odd choices as to the selection of the players advancing but also more so on the girls side. Since the MGHCA has been involved there have been a number of good players either not invited or not allowed to advance even though their skills on the ice dictated they should. The players played for the wrong team, BB if you have been around this long check some of your HP rosters for your final 54 girls and then compare to the girls that have received D I scholarships. These girls were found despite being ignored by the Girls High school coaches. It seemed every year that if you skated for the right coach or were paying for the correct off season program those players advanced. It didn't hurt that the same people were also evaluators.

The HP program is supposed to be self supporting with fees and a gate admission, when players are given a free ride as at least 7 were that means the other participants not only paid their way but also for the ones who were given a free pass. What you did last year is to be applauded but this is a new year and lets see if you have improved enough to actually earn a spot.

The problems have been there for a while and is now showing up as fewer numbers even trying out as the players have it figured out the system needs to be fixed. The senior fest had problems, the junior fest is no more and the 16 & 17 festival had problems even filling out their rosters yet players were given a pass.

Hopefully those that are on the inside and want to fix will step up and work to fix the problem.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Greybeard, I have to say your comments ring true. I have heard the same from D I coaches who have said they see girls at the national camp that are not as good as some of those left behind. The comments seemed more about MN girls that didn't make it while others from other states did although I got the sense they weren't 100% behind those that came out of MN either. It is what it is though. Whether right or wrong, there are lots of ways to get to the end and this is only one of them. The good news is that many D 1 coaches recognize this process and program for what it is. Something to consider but totally NOT the be all end all.