Tis the Transfer season...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

NotMuchToSay wrote:You would allow your daughter to quit her high school team because a select few classmates chastised her and that there is animosity amongst them? If anything, the quality players have animosity towards their less qualified teammates that choose not to play any hockey or train during the summer. If my daughter ever told me she wanted to quit her high school team because of that reason, then I think I would feel a sense of failure. It would mean I did not teach her to get along well with all types of athletes. A good life's lesson would be to not quit the team, but to figure out a way for her to include the high school players of all levels as a sense of TEAM. This lesson will take her into college and her first job where she'll have to get along with her coworkers. Overall, I believe that summer hockey is reserved for the all the high quality players that wish to play against/with each other. Just my two cents...
So let me understand this, you're saying, a group of girls who are a year older and same age who continually make your daughter miserable on and off the ice, who don't care to work hard, don't care if they win or lose, and partake in questionable activities, shouldn't be a reason enough want to transfer to a school where there are players who want to work hard and your child could thrive socially. Hmmm. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't look elsewhere for your kid. I dont believe it's "getting along" as much as dealing with b.s. and surviving. Survive high school so you can thrive in Selects. I guess in my mind I'd rather have my kid happy 9 months out of the year than have her desperately look forward to the 3 months away. Let me ask you this, have you ever been at a job where you couldnt stand your co-workers? I wouldn't wish it on anyone...
NotMuchToSay

Post by NotMuchToSay »

I concede :| . Obviously there may be some very horrific team situations where circumstances could warrant the need to move to another team. Nobody wants their child to endure "miserable" situations at any time. And they should have to. My daughter's team was lucky. Her coach could immediately sense when there was dissention between the players and enlisted the help of the current captains and set up team building events throughout the year. These were attempts to keep the team unit as one. It did not solve all the issues, but the on/off ice morale seemed to improve after each gathering. Everyone would have to be on board too - players AND parents. Again, this may not be of any help to the team that has the "bad seed" ring leader that just will not stop at causing trouble. My main point I'm trying to make is to try all possible ideas first. Then, if there doesn't seem to be any change, then you should most certainly do what is best for daughter. Clearly, I appear to be in the minority with my opinion, so I'll just be done after this. I think I've responded enough for a whole year :)
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

I think your responses have been right on point. I've almost never seen it where the top kids on a team are pushed around by the non-performers. Most coaches spend the majority of time on their top kids and the bubble kids get scraps. But maybe this is a weak program (and allowing this behavior might be a reason it's weak).

I think in the specific example which opened the thread: First-line kids (one of whom is a captain) leaving top level programs which are all within 5-6 miles of another, heading to other top programs. These kind of transfers seem a little suspect to me, and I agree with u10father that the new team should discourage juniors and seniors from jumping schools like this.

If your daughter's the top level 8th grader, if she's not going to be challenged at her school, if her coaches can't help her or if she's playing with boozers or potheads, you'd be nuts to NOT transfer. That's not the case here.
Marty

Post by Marty »

zambonidriver wrote: If I had a dollar for all the times I have heard "my kid better play after all of the money I have spent" I could start my own association.
Bubble kids hovering between JV and V are rarely the kids leaving, it is the high end kids.

Program loyalty ? My DIRECT observations seem to suggest that many parents of higher end players are loyal to:

1) themselves and their player (son or daughter)
2) off-season or summer team(s)
3) local association

in that order. Many parents have said that to me directly while standing next to me at Braemar, Superrink or some other summer venue.
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:I think your responses have been right on point. I've almost never seen it where the top kids on a team are pushed around by the non-performers. Most coaches spend the majority of time on their top kids and the bubble kids get scraps. But maybe this is a weak program (and allowing this behavior might be a reason it's weak).

The program in question has traditionally been a top program. However, with the large underclass coming up, this is about to change. Lack of skills, lack of willingness to work hard and lifestyle of bad choices will be the demise of this bunch.
I realize if my kid is talented enough to go beyond high school hockey, most of that will be determined through Reebok HP and so forth. Playing/winning for the high school is just a bonus...but you certainly want your kid to thrive in their own school. Decisions, decisions...
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

Marty wrote:
zambonidriver wrote: If I had a dollar for all the times I have heard "my kid better play after all of the money I have spent" I could start my own association.
Bubble kids hovering between JV and V are rarely the kids leaving, it is the high end kids.

Program loyalty ? My DIRECT observations seem to suggest that many parents of higher end players are loyal to:

1) themselves and their player (son or daughter)
2) off-season or summer team(s)
3) local association

in that order. Many parents have said that to me directly while standing next to me at Braemar, Superrink or some other summer venue.
I think your list of priorities is spot on!! Family 1st and Summer hockey is the best season in my opinion.

Why would anyone be shocked that a family would think of the best fit for child and family? If my family is all on board with any decision reguarding school or sports or anything I would not give a crap about what anybody else thinks is the right or the correct "moral" path!! Jeezus!! You owe the local assoc nothing and they owe you nothing!

As a business owner I don't want anyone on my team that does not want to be there! They are a cancer that will erode the base. Get the hell out and find the greener pasture you are looking for and good luck with that!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Well, #1 is a given and that is fine and makes complete sense. Unfortunately, I've seen a plethora of examples of #2 trumping #3, but clearly the ultimate goal of this is to help #1, even in the strongest associations and HS programs. In the end, I suppose few can argue about looking out for #1 first, at the expense of all else.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

mnhockeyguy2014 wrote:Family 1st and Summer hockey is the best season in my opinion.
If the above quote is accurate, and I think there are families who believe it is, why would you uproot your whole family just to be able to play on a different HS team?

While you say "best" I would disagree to the point that I think the goals MSHSL and the Coaches Association are very different then the goals of AAA hockey. With that in mind I think it is very difficult to compare them as to which is the best. I think both have their positives and negatives.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Hansonbrother wrote:
D6 Girls Fan wrote:I think your responses have been right on point. I've almost never seen it where the top kids on a team are pushed around by the non-performers. Most coaches spend the majority of time on their top kids and the bubble kids get scraps. But maybe this is a weak program (and allowing this behavior might be a reason it's weak).

The program in question has traditionally been a top program. However, with the large underclass coming up, this is about to change. Lack of skills, lack of willingness to work hard and lifestyle of bad choices will be the demise of this bunch.
I realize if my kid is talented enough to go beyond high school hockey, most of that will be determined through Reebok HP and so forth. Playing/winning for the high school is just a bonus...but you certainly want your kid to thrive in their own school. Decisions, decisions...
God help us if Reebok HP determines post grad hockey possibilities. Any talent there came before the HP selection, is hardly developed by it. It may correlate with HP in many cases but it certainly isn't cause and effect. You don't play college hockey because you were HP. You get to play HP because you have the talent to play beyond high school.
Or you know someone who knows someone. Or your kid is a great student and athlete. Or you have a famous hockey name. Or..... See my point?

Pick the best education for your child. Please. Even the best young players won't make a living at hockey. Pick the best summer team your kid can make, and get them into the scouted tourneys. Enjoy it and make sure they are enjoying it too. What's best for my child isn't what's best for yours.

You can make a highlight reel off of any high school's season. What you can't do is match the academics and culture. Start there.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:The rumors I heard:

Blue leaves for Green (the family's second move)
Red leaves for Blue after being given the captaincy of Red last spring.

..and a couple more under consideration - with less than a month before school starts.
Wow...Blue leaves for Green? Girls working out together in summer does not equal transfer. D6...I thought you were better than this? Also, where did this 2 time transfer attend high school before? To my knowledge (in this case is pretty good) I don't believe the player you are referring to ever attended another high school? So how is that a "transfer"???
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

This is why we never repeat rumors with actual names in them.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

That would have made it a little harder for her dad to refute your rumor.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

InigoMontoya wrote:That would have made it a little harder for her dad to refute your rumor.
And yet it still happened. I would guess 3 people on this entire forum know what and who you guys are talking about. I bet only 2 of you care. Let it go. The kids get a short period of time to play HS Hockey, it should be fun for them. If that means the kid has to change schools for reasons that make sense to them, so be it.
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Local radio is reporting that Roseau Ram senior Maddy Helgeson transferred to Bauer-Emerson Academy. She will be missed.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

There will be a few other High school teams that lose kids to Bauer-Emerson. I wish them all the best of luck. Great oppertunity for the kids that leave and great oppertunity for kids that might not have gotten to play HS hockey. I say it all works out in the end. Im a glass half full guy!
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

EGF loses 2 good players to BE and 1 to SSM in same year... losing good coach besides... Toughest Tier 1 hit so far to a MN girls HS program.... That's another MN girl to SSM Otter...
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:That would have made it a little harder for her dad to refute your rumor.
And yet it still happened. I would guess 3 people on this entire forum know what and who you guys are talking about. I bet only 2 of you care. Let it go. The kids get a short period of time to play HS Hockey, it should be fun for them. If that means the kid has to change schools for reasons that make sense to them, so be it.
Trust me..a whole lot more than 3 people know what we are talking about. But yes, small rumors are pretty insignificant. Good luck to Helgesons, great family! And I think Wolfman is actually tied up some where and someone is blogging for him, that was way to nice? (Kidding...peace!)
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The wolfman knows his colors.
Blue=Tonka
Red=BSM
Green=HM
The Wolfman will be all love this year on the Forum :lol:
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

wolfman wrote:The wolfman knows his colors.
Blue=Tonka
Red=BSM
Green=HM
I still wish the Bowhunter could speak about himself in the 3rd person like the Wolfman does...
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Blue=Tonka
Red=BSM
Green=HM
They're all close. Geographically, Education-wise, and Hockey-wise.

How is HM close to Tonka geographically? On a scale of North America they're close. On a scale of the twin cities they're almost as far apart as possible. You people confuse the Bowhunter. The Bowhunter thinks this is good reading for some of you.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... tic-father
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Blue=Tonka
Red=BSM
Green=HM

How is HM close to Tonka geographically? On a scale of North America they're close. On a scale of the twin cities they're almost as far apart as possible. You people confuse the Bowhunter. The Bowhunter thinks this is good reading for some of you.

36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

36Guy wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Blue=Tonka
Red=BSM
Green=HM

Actually I was being polite to Wolfman and not trying to correct him since he has turned over a new leaf with his politeness. But the original "transfer" rumor was Tonka to Edina not HM.

So..
Blue = Tonka
Red = BSM
Green = Edina

in this particular case anyway.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I'm about as far out of the loop as one can be, but my west-side/public bias had always assumed that Green=Edina. This blind squirrel does occasionally find a nut. I'll need to work on referring to myself in the third person, though, if that's the direction this forum is going. Go with the flow, as they say. If true, intriguing transfer across the west-side Mason-Dixon line, from blue to green, must be even rarer than a blind squirrel finding a nut.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

To the lay person Green always = Edina. I was thinking outside the box considering the party's involved. Truth be told I might have guessed and tried to put the puzzle together on my own😊. The Wolfman will not stop till all girl hockey mysteries are solved....
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Can't tonka develop their own players anymore?