Hinterland

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pepperpot

Hinterland

Post by pepperpot »

Get the Midol out, the ladies are still in a funk about cheater academy and their darling leader Chris (Jim Jones) Peterson. Yawn. Let's talk about the north country, much more entertaining. Lots of drama unfolded during mosquito season. EGF lost their coach and three solid players, two to Jim Jones and one to Sha-tick. TRF lost their coach. My beloved Cloquet didn't make a change, neither did Moose Lake or Duluth upsetting some and creating some transfers and juicy gossip that ran through the youngsters twitterdom. Rapids lost some good players. Mirages graduated their top player, but picked up Duluth's best up and comer due to a unstable program. My early predictions:

I Falls, Eveleth and Silver Bay stink.
Hibbing has a couple of good young players but no depth, which means no chance.
Moose Lake has the twins, but they won't mean anything as they don't have goaltending, or defense.
Hermantown/Proctor Mirage will stay on top at A. With Duluths top forward moving to Hermantown and most players returning, they should be good, despite an untested goaltender. They will return to state. If goalie plays well, they could go further than consolation.
Out west, EGF will be a shadow of what they were last year. Look to TRF to dominate if they get a coach. Warroad can do OK, but shouldn't be a factor.
So, it will be TRF and the Mirage representing at A.

Now onto AA. Duluth continues to have issues. Losing a stud forward to graduation and then the next in line to Hermantown will hurt. Several players quit too? I don't get Duluth. They should have a unbelievable program. Could be the biggest underachievers (pun intended) in the state. Coaching change next year is a bet I'd take, although I'd put the blame on the AD. Rapids is OK, but will struggle with a aggressive schedule and the loss of their best player. Roseau will be steady. Didn't lose anyone important, but has goaltending that isn't consistent. That leaves Cloquet, who has more dysfunction than the Kardashians. They will win some games, but sketchy goaltending and a lack of firepower will hurt them. That and parents who won't shut up. So, it will be Rapids and Roseau. Unfortunately at AA, neither team will make it past the first round if they even make it. They can't compete with the powerhouse metro teams.

Oh I forgot about Marshall. They posted on here that they hired a coach, then he resigned. Then they hired another coach (JV coach from Cloquet who would make a fantastic Varsity coach, hint hint!) but he resigned and hopefully is staying at Cloquet. Now they have another coach, but they don't have a team. Good stuff. Maybe their AD and Duluths can get together and exchange notes.
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

Very entertaining post!! You should consider doing stand-up or writing for late night comedians at least!! Bravo! =D>
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Entertaining indeed!!
goaline

nutshell

Post by goaline »

North in a Nutshell, and quite accurate might I add
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

East to Mirage transfer? Someone moved from Duluth to Hermantown? Please tell me they built a new house or something.

Pepper not a criticism just a question - no Hinterland players commuting for weekend elite league games this year?
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Last edited by 36Guy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:East to Mirage transfer? Someone moved from Duluth to Hermantown? Please tell me they built a new house or something.

Pepper not a criticism just a question - no Hinterland players commuting for weekend elite league games this year?
Rapids has a player on the elite league rosters.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Elites? More paycheck hockey? Fine for the metro I guess, but most northern parents with half a brain won't spend another seven nights in a hotel in addition to their summer hockey, spring hockey winter hockey and fall hockey. Obviously the parents of the rapids kid figured she'd get something out of it. It reminds me though of the spring elites for the little ones. Ooooooo, better lobby to get your kid on that. Nothing says winner like an elite jersey. Just think if they applied that $1500+ to some personalized training. She could actually improve on some weak areas of her game and still have enough left over for a couple of burgers at Gordys. Unless, of course, she doesn't have a weakness and just wants to showcase her awesomeness. :roll:
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

Those that want to hate on elite leagues and there price are welcome to do so for sure. Can you deny the very large percentage of the States best participate in them year after year and is very good competition for top end players and pushes others more in average elite game vs HS regular season???
Nevertoomuchhockey

Not to mention the coaches are the real deal in terms of college connections. And sure lots of those girls are already committed, others looking to be showcased. But the value of playing in this kind of league are the same as Tier 1 whether it's summer or year round - better teammates and better competition makes you better.
Comparing this program to HP anything reveals an ignorance of who and what's involved, and another example of your bias against metro players. I guess the north and south girls who played last year and the year before caved into the politics or had too much disposable income?
And as far as the $1500+ for personal training? Well THEY DO THAT TOO. That's why they are the top talent.
Too funny pepper.
MN_Bowhunter

Re: Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

YourMommyDidntLoveUEnough wrote:
Dear MN_Bowhunter,

It appears you have mistaken this website for Match.Com and for your clarification your gender is mistaken.

As I’m sure you are a lonely woodsman (derived from your moniker)

Please return to the safety of your parents basement for your safety and the safety of others.

Thanks in advance for your understanding!
Fixed that for you. Why did you feel you needed a new moniker? Letsgetrealpeople was good enough.
I can assume that you are still drinking the CP Koolaid or you wouldn't be back in here being a condescending douche again. I have a question for you. What did you think of the TV coverage of the state tournament last year? How was the play by play and the color commentary? Were there too many commercials?
Nevertoomuchhockey

Pepper thank you for acknowledging my all-knowingness. And yes my now 6th grade daughter made the leap from 12uA to the elite league. If she's not D1 committed by the time she is jv eligible, I've failed her as a parent. I will immediately change from hockey to basketball and move in on the Mrs. to birth another girl worthy of my time and attention. I will ask CP to be her godfather and home "school" her until she can enter BE pre-k.

Your niece? Your NIECE? Please please tell us she reads this. You keep telling yourself that extra time and money and training and playing in scouted tournaments is a waste of time. That any player with ambitions higher than mediocrity on a mid level talent team has a sickness specific to the rich and privileged. And mostly you just pat yourself and all your similar disillusioned outstate buddies (which I don't really believe exist outside your household) that hockey in the hinterland is somehow more genuine and authentic and that if the players up there can't or don't have puck ambitions beyond high school that puts you in the morally superior position of looking down on the girls that do.

What's the saying? Those that can't... Troll forums to prop up their self worth?

You don't speak for the hockey parents up there. I bet you don't even speak for your niece.

"And the haters gonna hate hate hate. D1 players just gonna shake shake shake." 8)
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Can you children please take it outside? Thank you.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

C-dad wrote:Can you children please take it outside? Thank you.
Agreed!... Karl, please monitor. I enjoy my evenings reading the Forum, much more than the east and west side fish-wraps. But the negative B-E and Elite posts is making my stomach turn. Not just on this thread, but they seem to be spreading like the flu to other posts (same posters). Everyone has the free right to go where they want to go for hockey. The rules are out there, and they seem to be followed and enforced (where needed). Everyone has the free right to comment to the pro's and con's to the options out there too. But when posters and kids start to get hammered, it's time to take a step back.

Peace all.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I like it. This forum has been pretty dull all summer; too many golf-clap threads. Nice to see someone pulling the other guys sweater over his head once in a while.
Last edited by InigoMontoya on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Pepper thank you for acknowledging my all-knowingness. And yes my now 6th grade daughter made the leap from 12uA to the elite league. If she's not D1 committed by the time she is jv eligible, I've failed her as a parent. I will immediately change from hockey to basketball and move in on the Mrs. to birth another girl worthy of my time and attention. I will ask CP to be her godfather and home "school" her until she can enter BE pre-k.

Your niece? Your NIECE? Please please tell us she reads this. You keep telling yourself that extra time and money and training and playing in scouted tournaments is a waste of time. That any player with ambitions higher than mediocrity on a mid level talent team has a sickness specific to the rich and privileged. And mostly you just pat yourself and all your similar disillusioned outstate buddies (which I don't really believe exist outside your household) that hockey in the hinterland is somehow more genuine and authentic and that if the players up there can't or don't have puck ambitions beyond high school that puts you in the morally superior position of looking down on the girls that do.

What's the saying? Those that can't... Troll forums to prop up their self worth?

You don't speak for the hockey parents up there. I bet you don't even speak for your niece.

"And the haters gonna hate hate hate. D1 players just gonna shake shake shake." 8)
NTMH...(first notice my tone of voice, it is very soft and gentle). 545 posts in 11 months??? All basically about AA and BE. Please do me and the rest a huge favor. Put down the computer, go outside, run a lap around the house to clear your head. You are obviously a very passionate hockey mom who loves the game. I guarantee you can add more value to these threads if you try. The forum has become like "Groundhog Day" and every thread turns to the same subject. Your like the HS drop out that doesn't know that he will be Hemmingway some day. Refocus..and we will all follow you through the trenches.
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

InigoMontoya wrote:I like it. This forum has been pretty dull all summer; too many golf-clap threads. Nice to see someone pulling the other guys sweater over his head once in a while.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one!! Sometimes watching the gloves fly is entertaining...
Nevertoomuchhockey

A very passionate hockey mom...

Hmmm. Been called a lot of things in my day but that one is by far my favorite.

Oh sorry I guess I've exceeded my post quota.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Pepper thank you for acknowledging my all-knowingness. And yes my now 6th grade daughter made the leap from 12uA to the elite league. If she's not D1 committed by the time she is jv eligible, I've failed her as a parent. I will immediately change from hockey to basketball and move in on the Mrs. to birth another girl worthy of my time and attention. I will ask CP to be her godfather and home "school" her until she can enter BE pre-k.

Actually, it was bad timing on my part. This post was one of your best.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

36Guy wrote:

Actually, it was bad timing on my part. This post was one of your best.
Any post that can work in a Taylor Swift reference is a successful post.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

You forgot about Marshall. They now officially have a HS team and are part of the Lake Superior Conference along with Proctor/Hermantown, Duluth, Cloquet and Superior. I don't think they will be playing Varsity this year- just JV.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Hard water fan wrote:You forgot about Marshall. They now officially have a HS team and are part of the Lake Superior Conference along with Proctor/Hermantown, Duluth, Cloquet and Superior. I don't think they will be playing Varsity this year- just JV.
Marshall not playing varsity this year...
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

I think it's great they got it together - more options. The added bonus is that it might force Duluth to start
meeting expectations...