It's Time! - Preseason Top 20

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but EGF lost their 3 top point leaders - 1 to Shattuck and 2 for BE.

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:47 am

ZamMan91 wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
The Bone wrote:High School Girls AA 2014-15 PRESEASON 
1 Hill Murray
2 Eden Prairie
3 Edina
4 Minnetonka
5 Blaine 
6 Wayzata 
7 Maple Grove 
8 Lakeville North 
9 Hopkins 
10 Stillwater Area 
11 Burnsville 
12 Benilde St Margaret's
13 Irondale 
14 Cretin-Derham Hall 
15 Lakeville South 
16 Roseau 
17 Dodge County 
18 Buffalo
19 Andover 
20 Forest Lake

High School Girls A 2014-15 PRESEASON 
1 Blake
2 Mound Westonka 
3 Thief River Falls 
4 Breck 
5 Proctor/Hermantown 
6 South St. Paul 
7 Warroad 
8 Red Wing 
9 Alexandria 
10 East Grand Forks 
11 St. Paul United 
12 Totino-Grace 
13 Hibbing/Chisholm 
14 Mankato East/Loyola 
15 New Prague 
16 New Ulm 
17 Orono 
18 Moose Lake Area 
19 Chisago Lakes Area
20 Princeton 
Blaine moves up from #12 to #5 after they graduated their top 4 players who produced 87 goals (and 178 points) last year? Yet, Mounds View's top 4 only loses Sutton to graduation, and that core scored 60 goals (136 points). Interesting that Blaine moves up, but MV drops out from #11. Did MV lose Brodt, Thompson, or Unterseher to the privates? If not, what am I missing here?
Answer to your question is nope. Sutton is gone. However last year's top line for much of the year was 2 sophomores and a freshman. The second line was mostly all sophomores. Sutton's defense partner was a sophomore. Point is that the have lots of fast and experienced kids coming up. Probably not a top ten, but close.
Goalie Dad. I'm a little confused by your make up of Blaine's top lines last season. The two times my daughter's team played them last year their top line was the Swanstrom twins and Kirsten Falk. They were all seniors who are now all playing D-1 hockey. There's no doubt that they are a deep talented team but don't see them ranked that high after losing all that offensive output.
ZamMan91 -Sorry if my post was confusing. I was referring to Mounds View, not Blaine.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Forest Lake heading north for scrims @ Duluth.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:44 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Forest Lake heading north for scrims @ Duluth.
Old Goalie-you heading up to Duluth for scrimmage? Curious to hear how the team did.

pucktech

Post by pucktech » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Looks like a good scrimmage weekend planned up in Duluth with some good competition:
Centenial, White Bear Lake, Forest Lake, Maple Grove, Chaska/Chanhassen, Eagan, BSM, Park Cottage Grove, Duluth, Rochester Century, SPU and Hill Murray.

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but EGF lost their 3 top point leaders - 1 to Shattuck and 2 for BE.
Sadly, for EGF, this is true...with those 3 they should have made another strong run at state. Without them...they're still a very good team, just not as deep.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

pucktech wrote:Looks like a good scrimmage weekend planned up in Duluth with some good competition:
Centenial, White Bear Lake, Forest Lake, Maple Grove, Chaska/Chanhassen, Eagan, BSM, Park Cottage Grove, Duluth, Rochester Century, SPU and Hill Murray.
Looks more like a regular season with that many teams?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 am

Rocket-The wife and grandma went. I stayed home one peewee in Roch/one peewee here. I did hear WBL beat FL. Three to one. All first 1/2 penalty shots. 2nd 1/2 even. Chaska @1;00/ Roch @3;00.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:40 pm

HM beat BSM 3-0.
Cent lost to Eagan 3-2 (each had 1 penalty shot goal).
Cent also beat WBL 4-1, and they beat HM 3-2 (each had 1 ps goal).

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:18 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Rocket-The wife and grandma went. I stayed home one peewee in Roch/one peewee here. I did hear WBL beat FL. Three to one. All first 1/2 penalty shots. 2nd 1/2 even. Chaska @1;00/ Roch @3;00.
They had three penalty shot goals in one half? That's highly unusual, right?? Rarely see one penalty shot let alone three.
And Centennial beats HM? Don't think I would have picked that. Good for them.
Any other scores? Were the jv teams up there or just varsity?

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Rocket-The wife and grandma went. I stayed home one peewee in Roch/one peewee here. I did hear WBL beat FL. Three to one. All first 1/2 penalty shots. 2nd 1/2 even. Chaska @1;00/ Roch @3;00.
They had three penalty shot goals in one half? That's highly unusual, right?? Rarely see one penalty shot let alone three.
NTMH - clearly you're new to the scrimmage format on weekend one. It's ok, not the first time you've been ignorant.

They give a penalty shot with a chase situation in these scrimmages.

Send me a DM if you need more clarification, I'd understand if you don't want to look silly.

You're welcome.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:11 pm

LZ94 wrote:
NTMH - clearly you're new to the scrimmage format on weekend one. It's ok, not the first time you've been ignorant.

Send me a DM if you need more clarification, I'd understand if you don't want to look silly.

You're welcome.
Well that escalated quickly.

My daughter is in 6th grade. My son has never played in a format like that. Feel free to call me ignorant - just because I haven't been around the girls high school game as much as you? OK. I'm "welcome"? That's laughable. Oh, and I look silly because I asked a question to which I'm surely not the only one who didn't know the answer. Yes, bring on the condescension and disdain.

The only thing that's embarrassing about this exchange is your pathetic elitism.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 am

Chaska looked good as well.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:52 am

LZ94 wrote:

You're welcome.
Well that escalated quickly.

My daughter is in 6th grade. My son has never played in a format like that. Feel free to call me ignorant - just because I haven't been around the girls high school game as much as you? OK. I'm "welcome"? That's laughable. Oh, and I look silly because I asked a question to which I'm surely not the only one who didn't know the answer. Yes, bring on the condescension and disdain.

The only thing that's embarrassing about this exchange is your pathetic elitism.
The first time I saw penalty shots like that was 3 on 3 where it is used in place of the penalty box. Since then I've seen it used at a couple of scrimmages, but not many. For scrimmages there is no consistency. At the scrimmages held in Eden Prairie on Saturday (EP, Wayzata, CDH, Lakeville S, Armstrong/Cooper) penalties resulted in a faceoff in the offending party's d-zone. Year's prior teams played shorthanded at the discretion of the coaches, taking turns working on power play and penalty kill. It's not like anyone thinks the scores of these games matter.

panpan111

Post by panpan111 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am

Duluth scrimmage weekend is what it is...team bonding, figure out your final roster, and have fun! Penalty shots is how it has always been handled so you don't have a kid they need to evaluate sitting in the box for 2 minutes of a 50 minute running time game. I do like the way EP played it with a face-off!
Chaska looked good, Centennial was already in mid-season form from a short bench standpoint, goalie played great. ...everyone else looked like they were still evaluating their rosters.
Great times for the kids & parents in Duluth! Hope to see everyone again next year.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:47 am

Now that rosters are being finalized and games starting...will we have BIG GAMES AND PREDICTIONS thread starting up.

Hope so , it makes the season even that more entertaining

panpan111

Post by panpan111 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:38 am

Back to the topic...
1. Hill Murray
2. Eden Prairie
3. Tonka
4. Edina
5. Wayzata
6. Lakeville North
7. Maple Grove
8. Chaska
9. Lakeville South
10.CDH

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 am

I want to change mine after seeing rosters and a couple scrimmages.

1) Hill Murray - Still too deep, too talented with experience
2) Eden Prairie - Should win the Lake with the veteran group
3) Minnetonka - Added a top end talent to aid scoring and I think their D will be fine
4) Wayzata - Really scary how deep they are
5) Lakeville South - Now I think this team will be the better of the two Lakevilles
6) Maple Grove - Great balance, well-coached
7) Lakeville North - Should be great defensively
8) Chaska - Good speed, scoring
9) Edina - Really don't like how they dumped so many experienced players in favor of youth - it is now pretty much a two-person team with a bunch of good kids.
10) Mounds View - If the depth comes through, look out.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:28 pm

I agree with the two lists above. I'd like to throw in Irondale and Eagan as wild cards for the top 10. Irondale lost top two to grad, but they still have a lot of points on the table from last year's returners. Eagan is also returning several good players, and looked sharp up north.
And I also agree with the Duluth scrimmage weekend. Fun time. However, the quote about Centennial short benching is false. PM me if you like. They rolled three lines the whole time.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:28 am

nu2hockey wrote:Now that rosters are being finalized and games starting...will we have BIG GAMES AND PREDICTIONS thread starting up.

Hope so , it makes the season even that more entertaining
Having done this for the past 5+(?) years, I am ready to pass the baton! If there are any volunteers out there who would be willing to take this on, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help get you started....

tarasov

It's time - Preseason Top 20

Post by tarasov » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:55 pm

D6 Girls Fan, "9) Edina - Really don't like how they dumped so many experienced players in favor of youth - it is now pretty much a two-person team with a bunch of good kids."

Are you clueless or what?[/quote]

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:03 am

Nope. Pretty much understand the whole situation.

rascalbrock

Anoka vs Wayzata tie

Post by rascalbrock » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Wow! I see that Anoka tied Wayzata. Surprising to me as I didn't think Anoka would be that strong this year. Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody have any insight to this game?