Cloque-Esko-Carlton Girls High school hockey......

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

"I think it says a lot about our hockey culture in Cloquet Esko and Carlton."
You sure got that right.
"We want to play the best."
Good A teams play good AA teams all the time. What's your point? Maybe Lenarz shouldn't do the scheduling!
"We might get knocked down, but I guarantee you we get back up and keep coming."
So now we will play a weaker AA schedule so we can get a few wins and claim victory before getting crushed in sections? Idiotic.
"Having a chance to be the best in the state is worth more than wondering if we could be the best in the state."
Wondering?? Do you think our girls actually care if they are AA or A? Did anyone ask them? Do you think the girls from Thief feel they aren't the best? most would agree that thief or blake is every bit as good as tonka or hill, if not better. Did you know that the good A teams schedule the good AA teams during the season? Having the state split into A and AA doesn't mean one is better. It means one comes from smaller schools and communities. I don't consider it honorable. I consider it thick-headed. This isn't boys. Look at the numbers and get real.

There Rocket. I'll crawl back in my hole now and I may not come out again. We'll see what they do with coaching. I'm not holding my breath.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

pepperpot wrote:"I think it says a lot about our hockey culture in Cloquet Esko and Carlton."
You sure got that right.
"We want to play the best."
Good A teams play good AA teams all the time. What's your point? Maybe Lenarz shouldn't do the scheduling!
"We might get knocked down, but I guarantee you we get back up and keep coming."
So now we will play a weaker AA schedule so we can get a few wins and claim victory before getting crushed in sections? Idiotic.
"Having a chance to be the best in the state is worth more than wondering if we could be the best in the state."
Wondering?? Do you think our girls actually care if they are AA or A? Did anyone ask them? Do you think the girls from Thief feel they aren't the best? most would agree that thief or blake is every bit as good as tonka or hill, if not better. Did you know that the good A teams schedule the good AA teams during the season? Having the state split into A and AA doesn't mean one is better. It means one comes from smaller schools and communities. I don't consider it honorable. I consider it thick-headed. This isn't boys. Look at the numbers and get real.

There Rocket. I'll crawl back in my hole now and I may not come out again. We'll see what they do with coaching. I'm not holding my breath.
I know we've chatted before, but looking at how CEC did in playoffs vs. Andover it sure looked like a close game per box score...going A isn't a guarantee with PH, Hibbing, moose Lake.

I do agree numbers are a huge issue. Any idea how many moving up?
As for asking girls...I thought I heard the AD had girls vote for A or AA. Parents voted too?? Do you have any idea if true and if so how it turned out?

Look forward to your answers as always. Any idea on new candidates?
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I believe there are a projected 27 kids for 8th - 12th next year. Hardly strong numbers for a rejuvenated AA program. They will have a hill to climb, no question. There currently is not 14U team and a handful of 12U's moving up. I will say there is some exceptional talent on the 12U team that could help in a few years. The problems is they will have Class A depth. The next question is who is going to take over as coach? This has been a revolving door with three coaches in five years.
observer

Post by observer »

Like the Duluth girls hockey discussion I wouldn't count U12s and U14s for the purpose of this exercise. I understand a 14 or two can make the team but generally a good HS team is girls grades 10-12. A HS team isn't a good situation for a 6th or 7th grader (U12) because of the age difference and girl players learn and develop offensive skills against players their same age. Also playing on one team for 4-5-6 years isn't ideal. The 3 year varsity experience is best.

For the purpose of this discussion how many 10th-12th grade players next year?
8th and 9th graders next year (U14)?
6th and 7th graders next year (U12)?

For a general view of girls hockey growth in the area how many new mite girls this year for the 3 different programs?
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

6th graders aren't allowed to play jv OR varsity, regardless of talent/skill level.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

7th graders participate in many different high school sports, in addition to hockey. I agree that a strong program probably has good numbers at every age level, which crowds out the younger girls until they are stronger. But I disagree that there is anything inherently wrong with 13 year olds working out with 18 year olds, unless your 18 year olds aren't very nice people; and if that's the case, I wouldn't want my 16 year old there either.
kniven

Post by kniven »

CEC accepting applications through the end of April. I haven't heard any names...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I think 7th graders and 12 th graders tend to talk about entirely subjects.[maturity] My wife and I have a 9th grader who has played on the high school team the last two years. Trust me there are differences.[My daughter has to older brothers/two younger bro's] So she hasn't "lived under a rock". But certain subjects have come up. That is more my wifes deal.
kniven

Post by kniven »

old goalie85 wrote:I think 7th graders and 12 th graders tend to talk about entirely subjects.[maturity] My wife and I have a 9th grader who has played on the high school team the last two years. Trust me there are differences.[My daughter has to older brothers/two younger bro's] So she hasn't "lived under a rock". But certain subjects have come up. That is more my wifes deal.
Pretty quiet. I haven't heard a thing. I might have to start asking around. Excited to see the girls get a fresh start with a new coach.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Parents are already sharpening their knives. I don't envy the new coach.
kniven

Post by kniven »

pepperpot wrote:Parents are already sharpening their knives. I don't envy the new coach.
I'm hearing nothing. I guess I can be patient......tic toc tic toc
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
pepperpot wrote:Parents are already sharpening their knives. I don't envy the new coach.
And the new head coach for the CEC Lumberjacks High School girls hockey program is _?
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:
And the new head coach for the CEC Lumberjacks High School girls hockey program is _?
Courtney Esse Olin. Congratulations !!!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Any relation to the boy's coach?
Antagonist

Post by Antagonist »

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Antagonist wrote:Congratulations Courtney!

http://www.csssaints.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2508
yes, daughter
goaline

Post by goaline »

[quote="Rocketwrister"][quote="Antagonist"]Congratulations Courtney!

Great to have another young, promising female in the business rather than a dad or old boys clubber -- and one with some coaching in the genes no less
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

goaline wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:

Great to have another young, promising female in the business rather than a dad or old boys clubber -- and one with some coaching in the genes no less
Given the relative youth of girls hockey, so to speak, we should be seeing this happen more and more, and it's exciting to see. Women/girls will build the game of girls' hockey into a sustainable long-term item in Minnesota.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jg2112 wrote:Given the relative youth of girls hockey, so to speak, we should be seeing this happen more and more, and it's exciting to see. Women/girls will build the game of girls' hockey into a sustainable long-term item in Minnesota.
Yes, but in order for this to happen we will still need girls's hockey to attract more fan support - more people in the stands, other than parents, relatives and close friends of the players.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Given the relative youth of girls hockey, so to speak, we should be seeing this happen more and more, and it's exciting to see. Women/girls will build the game of girls' hockey into a sustainable long-term item in Minnesota.
Yes, but in order for this to happen we will still need girls's hockey to attract more fan support - more people in the stands, other than parents, relatives and close friends of the players.
Two things, I don't think it is a must to have fan support. It would be nice, but there are many examples of boys and girls sports that have stood the test of time without fan support. In reality outside of Football, boys b-ball, and boys hockey what sports have a large non family following at the HS level?

I also support getting more females involved in the game, and some organizations do that exclusively, and some programs hire only female candidates, while I support this to some extent, you also need the best coach for the job so the game continues to grow and players continue to develop. It's nice to have the dream of a world with all female coaches in female sports, but look at girls b-ball which has been around a lot longer, you are always going to have male coaches as men tend to care more about sports. I'm not saying one way is right, just stating facts. Coaching is a tough gig these days, pay is bad, but the hours are long. While some women are starting to devote a lifetime to the game, the majority tend to want to spend their free time doing things not sport related.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

allhoc11 wrote:Two things, I don't think it is a must to have fan support. It would be nice, but there are many examples of boys and girls sports that have stood the test of time without fan support.
Yes, those other sports have existed for a long time, but how much have they grown without fan support? If more parents of daughters who have finished their playing days continued to attend games that would certainly help to generate more "buzz" about girls hockey, but unfortunately most lose interest in the sport once their daughters' playing days are over. Also true with boys high school hockey to an extent, as their regular season and playoff attendance numbers are down, but the AA State Tournament continues to be a huge success.
allhoc11 wrote:In reality outside of Football, boys b-ball, and boys hockey what sports have a large non family following at the HS level?
Unfortunately, none. Even attendance for boys' basketball is way down from what it used to be.
allhoc11 wrote:I also support getting more females involved in the game, and some organizations do that exclusively, and some programs hire only female candidates, while I support this to some extent, you also need the best coach for the job so the game continues to grow and players continue to develop. It's nice to have the dream of a world with all female coaches in female sports, but look at girls b-ball which has been around a lot longer, you are always going to have male coaches as men tend to care more about sports. I'm not saying one way is right, just stating facts. Coaching is a tough gig these days, pay is bad, but the hours are long. While some women are starting to devote a lifetime to the game, the majority tend to want to spend their free time doing things not sport related.
I have nothing to add to any of your points here; well stated.
kniven

Post by kniven »

goaline wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:

any word yet from the board meeting today on the hiring of Courtney Olin?
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
goaline wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote: any word yet from the board meeting today on the hiring of Courtney Olin?
The board has tabled a decision for a month.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:
goaline wrote: The board has tabled a decision for a month.
hmmmm ??? why kniven? pepper you know anything?? stop lurking
kniven

Post by kniven »

Rocketwrister wrote:
kniven wrote:
kniven wrote: hmmmm ??? why kniven? pepper you know anything?? stop lurking
What does it mean when a board "tables" a decision for a month? So in a month they all of a sudden decide to not hire who was hired than the entire process starts all over? I know the girls hockey season doesn't start for awhile physically. But mentally, our girls need to start getting ready now. and our program needs to move forward for our girls high school hockey future....not just the next 3 years. All I know is that I don't know much. Our girls...our student athletes....our awesome girl student athletes just want a coach that can lead them. that can enspire them to be the absolute best they can be. She was hired. But now she isn't. Or she is but she isn't yet. Or she maybe is but we'll see. Or that the person who hired her is sure, but I(we) know better so maybe I(we) should do the hiring. Who knows. When leadership isn't confident, the people they lead sure are not.