UMD Women's coaching staff?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

UMD Women's coaching staff?

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

My buddy up north said the school announced it would not renew contracts for any of the existing coaches for 2015. Who has more info? It's hard to believe it's a financial motivation considering where this program was when Miller got hired on. ??? I imagine the head coach will be employed elsewhere very quickly. Who's on the short list to replace her? Any prospects following her out the door?
Lace'emUp

Re: UMD Women's coaching staff?

Post by Lace'emUp »

It is true.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... 15891.html

http://www.uscho.com/2014/12/15/longtim ... 15-season/

I wonder how this will affect the gals that signed on last week, or have made early commitments. We will see.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

What is the rule on that? Are they free to play elsewhere if the coach who recruited them is released/quits prior to the following season?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

sinbin wrote:What is the rule on that? Are they free to play elsewhere if the coach who recruited them is released/quits prior to the following season?
No
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Froggy Richards wrote:
sinbin wrote:What is the rule on that? Are they free to play elsewhere if the coach who recruited them is released/quits prior to the following season?
No
Correct but as a practical matter it is more common than not that schools will grant transfer requests when there is a coaching change. It's usually in their best interest to let them go rather than forcing players who don't want to be there to stay.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Tough situation all around
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
No
Correct but as a practical matter it is more common than not that schools will grant transfer requests when there is a coaching change. It's usually in their best interest to let them go rather than forcing players who don't want to be there to stay.
To expand further, once you sign your NLI to play somewhere, you can only be released by the school, not the coach. I agree with MNHF, if a new recruit has signed their NLI and wants out, my guess is UMD will grant it for the reason he stated. As for the recent verbal commitments, those are all non-binding. They can change their minds this afternoon if they like without any penalties.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I would say It Is strictly financial, She was making more than Sandelin. Most likely was asked to take a pay cut and it went South from there. Program was strong in the early years of women's hockey on the strength of foreign players and Olympians. These State schools should rely more on Minnesota kids IMO. Hopefully they hire someone with MN ties, there are plenty of viable male and female candidates that fit this criteria.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Sorry but no women's hockey coach should be paid over $200,000 per year. Women's hockey is not a revenue generating sport.

Her ability to win championships and coach Olympic caliber women should enable her to find another job quickly or even a spot with USA Hockey Women's Development.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

alcloseshaver wrote:I would say It Is strictly financial, She was making more than Sandelin. Most likely was asked to take a pay cut and it went South from there. Program was strong in the early years of women's hockey on the strength of foreign players and Olympians. These State schools should rely more on Minnesota kids IMO. Hopefully they hire someone with MN ties, there are plenty of viable male and female candidates that fit this criteria.
Yes, it was financial. She wasn't making more than Sandelin, but it was close. She is at $215,000, Sandelin $245,000. That is waaaaay too much for a Coach in a sport that doesn't make a profit. She said her and her staff were willing to take a pay cut, but that of course was after it was announced she wouldn't be back. She wasn't happy, said it came out of the blue and she was embarrased for UMD.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Read the AD's interview...
The responses to specific questions are very telling

The school wanted her gone and the budget deficit gave them an easy out.

It will be interesting to see who asks for a release
from the school.. (present players and recruits who have signed their NLI)
Nevertoomuchhockey

So interesting question...
If your daughter was NLI signed, orally (twitter) commited, or seriously considering, what would you advise her?
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Marty wrote:Sorry but no women's hockey coach should be paid over $200,000 per year. Women's hockey is not a revenue generating sport.

Her ability to win championships and coach Olympic caliber women should enable her to find another job quickly or even a spot with USA Hockey Women's Development.
Coach Miller is Canadian, she would not be part of USA women's hockey. Miller is a great coach and person, my daughter who played for her was very sad at the announcement.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:So interesting question...
If your daughter was NLI signed, orally (twitter) commited, or seriously considering, what would you advise her?
I think any player, recruit, or commit of UMD needs to to a hard look at the AD's words..

First, any admin worth a grain of salt does not have this issue come out at this time . The student/players are starting finals and this happens. The lack of thought for the student/players by this AD should concern all associated with program..Also, in the interview,
the AD gives the impression that the girl's hockey program at UMD has a chance of being eliminated.
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

The Bone

Post by The Bone »

sinbin

Post by sinbin »

A bit of hemming and hawing and non-committal commitments. Mr. Berlo seems well-suited for an administration job.

Agree, very poorly timed. With two kids going through finals now, I know this is NOT something you throw on their plates during finals week.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I know nothing about or have anything against the coach and her staff but I looked at the roster. 8 from Canada-5 from Europe-4 from Minnesota and 2 from other states. I would like to see a college here in Mn that gets tons of funding from our taxpayers to have a few more Mn kids on the roster. Im sure those kids from Canada and Europe are great and wonderful and all that stuff but im a homer and want more homegrown kids. Im sure other people will tell me why im wrong but I don't care and that's that.
Nevertoomuchhockey

nu2hockey wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:So interesting question...
I think any player, recruit, or commit of UMD needs to to a hard look at the AD's words..

First, any admin worth a grain of salt does not have this issue come out at this time . The student/players are starting finals and this happens. The lack of thought for the student/players by this AD should concern all associated with program..Also, in the interview,
the AD gives the impression that the girl's hockey program at UMD has a chance of being eliminated.
Eliminated? I find that impossible to believe.
Never again fielding a world class team, not getting close to competing for national championships, and a dramatic reversal of their W-L record? Yes, all of this I believe.
And wolf, at least the next two recruiting classes are more heavily local. That is if they don't bail....
I wonder the level of anger and outrage up north? The repercussions of this decision will be far from negligible. Hope Coach Miller and staff move en mass to a struggling program and she takes the girls who chose UMD to play for HER with them.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

NTMH I hope your right. It would be great for more Mn girls if Coach miller takes all those Mn kids with her. There would be a bunch of new spots available up at Duluth. Any chance coach Miller heads back to Canada and brings some Mn girls with her? Oh wait I don't think that happens much with girls. I guess I could be wrong though. I was wrong back in 73 once according to my mom. :lol:
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

wolfman wrote:NTMH I hope your right. It would be great for more Mn girls if Coach miller takes all those Mn kids with her. There would be a bunch of new spots available up at Duluth. Any chance coach Miller heads back to Canada and brings some Mn girls with her? Oh wait I don't think that happens much with girls. I guess I could be wrong though. I was wrong back in 73 once according to my mom. :lol:
And I thought no one could take the place of Sid Hartman, but alas the wolfman appears. Coaches pick the players that fit in their system and gives them the best chance to win, no matter where they are from.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Clap for the wolfman. Glad to see Herr Miller gone. For us taxpayers and those that want to see more Minnesota girls playing it will be a welcome switch. She put some really good teams together, but at what cost? Once her buddy Chancellor Martin was being pushed out she gave Miller a sweetheart deal. Obscene amount of money for a program that puts a couple of hundred butts in the seats. Feel sorry for the kids though. Should have waited to the end of the season. Obviously some bad blood with the AD.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

When AD Berlo uses 'foresee-able future ' that time frame is at most a12-24 month window..

If the budget shortfall is not corrected quickly and if operating budgets don't start to balance you can be sure that program reductions will be implemented and Title IX issues will be followed.
Women's hockey is a very easy choice.

The so-called uproar over losing the program will be as loud as the uproar over the women's national tourney not being televised. The silence nationwide would be deafening after 2 days.

This game we love on the girl side is not even marginal in fan support. Sadly we all know that.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

When can we talk about the new coach that will hired? Is it to soon? I think a former Bulldog that is coaching out east now would be the perfect fit. Little Sid (aka Wolfman) has scooped you all... :D
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

wolfman wrote:When can we talk about the new coach that will hired? Is it to soon? I think a former Bulldog that is coaching out east now would be the perfect fit. Little Sid (aka Wolfman) has scooped you all... :D
No scoop, I thought about the Trinity coach right away. My daughter who played with her, thought she would be fantastic. I do like your style, Wolfman.