UMD Women's coaching staff?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 pm

As they say, winning is the only salve for a pain in the neck.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Otter wrote:From Brad Elliot Schlossmans' post:

Privately, many in the athletic department have said for years that Miller is very impossible to work with. She has alienated a number of people there. That unquestionably has played a role in this decision.

By my count, the Bulldogs have had 10 players transfer out in the past two years as well, which can serve as a red flag to administration.

Miller has been very critical of the administration for not trying to find ways for it to work. Had the Bulldogs still been contending nationally on an annual basis, they probably would have found a solution. Had she not alienated so many in the department, they probably would have been willing to alter her salary and keep her on.

And this is what everyone was thinking.
Uh no. Not everyone. Not even close.

I would hope that if there were valid concerns jeopardizing her future with the program other than the $$, that 1) her termination wouldn't be the first time she and her staff are hearing about it, and 2) the school itself would expand on these issues publicly in regards to their decision not to give a new contract if for no other reason than to save themselves A LOT of the heat from the gender and Title IX issues defining the issue.

Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:

Uh no. Not everyone. Not even close.

I would hope that if there were valid concerns jeopardizing her future with the program other than the $$, that 1) her termination wouldn't be the first time she and her staff are hearing about it, and 2) the school itself would expand on these issues publicly in regards to their decision not to give a new contract if for no other reason than to save themselves A LOT of the heat from the gender and Title IX issues defining the issue.
Well just casually reading the College Forum over the years made me expect exactly this kind of reaction, or 'revelation', once the laundry started getting aired. Apparently if you are close to the program you are shielded from the naysayers then are surprised by people saying she was a tyrant who was really good friends and allies with the former AD who let her have free reign. But one thing we all knew was:

"....the Bulldogs have had 10 players transfer out in the past two years....."

The interesting part came from another story which suggested that the recruiting budget had been cut which prevented Coach Miller from traveling to Europe as often and affected her recruitment of Europeans, which explains why Scandinavian players have been showing up in St Cloud, Mankato and Grand Forks lately, and why there have been a handful of Minnesota girls heading to Duluth. And why Coach Miller, starting at least in 2013, started showing up at Minnesota summer hockey events.

And what Title IX issues? Title IX is strictly geared to student athletes and has nothing to do with coaches. And what gender issues? Are you suggesting female coaches are in a protected class and are immune from getting fired? The fact that Coach Miller hired a lawyer hours after getting the 'notification' had nothing to do with her gender. She might try to use that to her advantage of course, but it wasn't relevant in the decision certainly.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:11 pm

any news on a new coach yet?

OnTheBench

Post by OnTheBench » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:58 pm

wolfman wrote:any news on a new coach yet?
http://umdbulldogs.com/news/2015/3/24/W ... th=whockey

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 pm

3 Finalists, A Canadien, A New Yorker and the third from Mass.
Curious if the Shuler candidate has the blessing of Miller, was her assistant.
Also, Is there coaching candidates with some Minnesota backgrounds out there?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:33 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Also, Is there coaching candidates with some Minnesota backgrounds out there?
Many thought Jenny Potter would be a candidate. But for some reason she was not named as one of the three finalists, assuming she did in fact apply.

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:3 Finalists, A Canadien, A New Yorker and the third from Mass.
Curious if the Shuler candidate has the blessing of Miller, was her assistant.
Also, Is there coaching candidates with some Minnesota backgrounds out there?
I Heard one of the candidates has a friend who knows a guy that visited the Mall of America once and also some speculation that he even saw the movie Fargo.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 pm

I got a guy who knows a gal who said she knows a guy who played hockey and back in the day said when his gal was kinda in the know he has all the answers. This guy says a gal will be an asst coach on the staff at the end of the day no matter who gets the job. I'm not sure I believe any of this stuff but my gal on the inside says this guy knows everything.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 am

Wonder if any "experts" from the stands applied? :roll:

Don't Poke The Bear

Congratulations to the Bulldogs and Maura Crowell!

Post by Don't Poke The Bear » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Maura Crowell Bulldog Women's Hockey head coach!

http://umdbulldogs.com/sports/2015/4/3/ ... owell.aspx

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 pm

I'm sure Maura will be a fine coach for the lady Bulldogs. I'm a big fan of the local college teams. I hope the Dogs can can keep the rodents honest and SCSU-BS-MS can compete also. I love Minnesota college hockey!