Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 9

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Scores from Friday and Saturday:

Friday, January 9
#15A Hibbing/Chisholm 2, #3AA Roseau 1 (OT)
#8A Orono 2, #14A Mound Westonka 1

Saturday, January 10
#4AA Hill-Murray 6, #13AA Chaska/Chanhassen 3
#14AA Hopkins 2, #17AA Buffalo 1
#16AA Mounds View 1, #12AA Cretin-Derham Hall 2
#4A Warroad 1, #5A East Grand Forks 1 (OT Tie) [http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ ... ay-1-1-tie]
#10A New Prague 2, #9A Proctor/Hermantown 4
#5AA Minnetonka 1, #1AA Eden Prairie 2 (OT) [BGotW]
#1A Blake 3, #18AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 0
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

An abbreviated weekly re-cap, thanks to MNHockeyFan for posting the scores. This week's theme is 2-1 games.

Thursday, January 8
Wayzata 0, Maple Grove 3. 14 of us for MG, no correct scores.
East Grand Forks vs. Thief River Falls - postponed
Rochester JM/Lourdes vs. Red Wing - postponed
St. Paul United 1, Blake 3. All but 1 for the Bears, no correct scores.

Friday, January 9
#15A Hibbing/Chisholm 2, #3AA Roseau 1 (OT). H/C scoring the game-winner with about 1 minute remaining in OT.
#8A Orono 2, #14A Mound Westonka 1. Orono converting on 2 of 3 power plays for the win. Wolfman and MNHockeyFan hitting the correct score.

Saturday, January 10
#4AA Hill-Murray 6, #13AA Chaska/Chanhassen 3. Kaasa with the hat trick, but no correct scores.
#14AA Hopkins 2, #17AA Buffalo 1. No correct scores.
#16AA Mounds View 1, #12AA Cretin-Derham Hall 2. MNHockeyFan also continues his hot hand with the correct score.
#4A Warroad 1, #5A East Grand Forks 1 (OT Tie). Our panel had EGF over Warroad by an 11-6 margin.
#10A New Prague 2, #9A Proctor/Hermantown 4. P/H used an empty-netter with 0:06 remaining to secure the win. Hockeymaven, blondegirlsdad, MNHockeyFan, spars46, and mnhockey3535 with correct scores, while for others of us the clock did not tick quite fast enough to secure the bonus point.
#5AA Minnetonka 1, #1AA Eden Prairie 2 (OT) [BGotW]. Our panel had EP favored by a 10-6-1 margin. EP took advantage of a rare OT power play to score the game-winner midway through the extra stanza. MNHockeyFan picks up the 2 bonus points with the correct score.
#1A Blake 3, #18AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 0. Other than one contestant who predicted a tie, we all predicted the Bears, although no correct scores.

If you were paying attention to the recaps, you can guess who is this week's winner. Also, in case there are any suspicious minds out there, it is merely a coincidence that MNHockeyFan supplied many of the game scores and also is our weekly winner. I did verify that all scores were correct. I do not have a particularly suspicious mind, but was merely doing my due diligence. :wink: Here is the weekly rundown:

21 MNHockeyFan
16 Hockeymaven
15 hockeybozo, hugo_lucas, Knight7, sinbin, spars46
14 blondegirlsdad, clutterbucket, D6GirlsFan, mnhockey3535
13 2 others
12 2 others
11 2 others

Congrats to MNHockeyFan for his outstanding performance. Probably about the largest margin of victory that I can recall for a non-tournament week. Look for a post with Week 10 games later today.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Congrats to MNHockeyFan for his outstanding performance. Probably about the largest margin of victory that I can recall for a non-tournament week.
If there's one thing I've learned since first participating in these contests it's that it's better to be lucky than good. I find it's that element of luck that makes this guessing game a lot of fun.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
sinbin wrote:Congrats to MNHockeyFan for his outstanding performance. Probably about the largest margin of victory that I can recall for a non-tournament week.
If there's one thing I've learned since first participating in these contests it's that it's better to be lucky than good. I find it's that element of luck that makes this guessing game a lot of fun.
Also perhaps the largest amount of modesty that I can recall. :D