times have changed on this forum ...

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyhockeyhockey

times have changed on this forum ...

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Back in the day if an Edina vs hill Murray game was on for the night a thread 2 days before would be made, some good discussion and maybe even an ingame between period update or two..

in today HighSchoolHockeyForums.com forumland........ crickets...

end of an era?

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 pm

2008? What do you know about back in the day? :wink:

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 pm

I've been thinking the same thing. 5-8 years ago there were a ton of reports and summaries from fans. I wonder if it has changed because of sites like mnhockeyhub.com and twitter?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:04 pm

It's mostly a matter of being able to find scores elsewhere now, and has been that way for a couple years. The Hub got a lot better, Twitter is more efficient than loading this place, and FTP gets stuff together a lot better than ever before. This is more of a discussion forum now than a score-updating place. Page views have been very steady for the past few years, and this year is no different.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:33 pm

Triple Hockey:

Trouble is, the Hornets Pioneers games the last two years havent been that great. You got to go back to Jan 2013 for the last epic battle between those two.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:23 am

Man, you should have been around with Slapshooter, Videoscout, Neutron, Packerboy, Joe Dudic, Ram Hockey, et. al. We still get HShockeywatcher, Elliott, Sparlimb (on occasion) East Hockey( get better Lee) but some of those threads with those above mentioned were as good as it gets. Message Bored Hall of Fame material if you ask me.

Of course 3AHockeyScout and the rest of the 3A people are bringing in their own set of epic threads..... Roll Cards Roll has to go down in the annals of great moments of this message board along with "Demise of the rink rat and other observations" IMHO.

As said above...... This was the place to get scores during section tournaments, scores were here long before anywhere else. We were cutting edge prior to twitter, scores reported here ended up on the 10pm news, this was the source. WCCO gave scores reported here.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:09 am

goldy313 wrote:Man, you should have been around with Slapshooter, Videoscout, Neutron, Packerboy, Joe Dudic, Ram Hockey, et. al. We still get HShockeywatcher, Elliott, Sparlimb (on occasion) East Hockey( get better Lee) but some of those threads with those above mentioned were as good as it gets. Message Bored Hall of Fame material if you ask me.

Of course 3AHockeyScout and the rest of the 3A people are bringing in their own set of epic threads..... Roll Cards Roll has to go down in the annals of great moments of this message board along with "Demise of the rink rat and other observations" IMHO.

As said above...... This was the place to get scores during section tournaments, scores were here long before anywhere else. We were cutting edge prior to twitter, scores reported here ended up on the 10pm news, this was the source. WCCO gave scores reported here.
Don't forget when the entire "Shady Bunch" was in full force and Brainerd had a decent team in Section 7AA.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

GTTN

Post by GTTN » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 am

Twitter

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:39 pm

I still say the SynergyStud provided one of the most entertaining evenings on here that I can remember.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Just my two cents worth. It's not the scores that being me to this site two of three times a day. I come to this site to get observations on teams that I don't get to see. Some too far away, some just dont fit in schedule of life, others are on days where I already picked a different game. Teams way up north like Warroad, bemidji, Roseau, morhead. Teams way too Far East or too far west. These are things that you will not find anywhere else.

The second thing that brings me to this site is hockey talk about team a of team b better. That ranking by everyday folks is great reading.

Third thing the administrators do a great job of keeping it clean. Keeping it relevant, and giving freedom to tell ones story. That is what this site has that there is nowhere else!!!!!

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:42 pm

I agree, Karl can you determine the number of locked threads as compared to past years, seems way down to me.

Also did the east side lose the Internet? Where are the Hill boys? They should be hyping the squad by now, top five with a good chance to get to state, and beyond, let's go.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Just Checking wrote:I agree, Karl can you determine the number of locked threads as compared to past years, seems way down to me.
:-$ I've been enjoying the blessed lack of discipline, especially since we're down an admin for the time being. Maybe after 13 years or whatever it's been, we've finally found that pleasant balance of trolling without going overboard.

Either that, or everyone just fears my iron fist so much that they cower in fear before me. Well, except for goldy313. But I kinda like him in spite of the 1AA victim fixation. And Elliott. No admin could ever boss Elliott. :wink:

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:29 pm

Consistency Karl, consistency. I've stuck with my 1AA teams through thin and thinner. We've been put down and disregarded by the best, usually deservedly so, but since that Justin Kloos led South team (actually Century in 2007) we've shown you naysayers the way, though you still deny it. I told you that South squad was a very good team, I was the first one on North's bandwagon last year.

What was Mel Gibson's line from Braveheart about revenge? It may have taken me years and two iterations of this bored but I may finally have it.

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:05 am

WestMetro wrote:Triple Hockey:

Trouble is, the Hornets Pioneers games the last two years havent been that great. You got to go back to Jan 2013 for the last epic battle between those two.
I mean... it might not have been the best game in the world, but...... there was a game in early March of 2013 between these two teams.... The state championship I believe. Fairly competitive too...

black sheep

Re: times have changed on this forum ...

Post by black sheep » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:54 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:Back in the day if an Edina vs hill Murray game was on for the night a thread 2 days before would be made, some good discussion and maybe even an ingame between period update or two..

in today HighSchoolHockeyForums.com forumland........ crickets...

end of an era?
and did you know Roseau & Warroad played last thurs? Arguably one of the biggest HS rivalries...one that has earned national press in the past...not one post this year...

granted teams not what they once were and maybe will not be for the foreseeable future but wow how times are a changing

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 am

7AA still going strong.

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 am

goldy313 wrote:Man, you should have been around with Slapshooter, Videoscout, Neutron, Packerboy, Joe Dudic, Ram Hockey, et. al. We still get HShockeywatcher, Elliott, Sparlimb (on occasion) East Hockey( get better Lee) but some of those threads with those above mentioned were as good as it gets. Message Bored Hall of Fame material if you ask me.

3ASpaghettiTrout is an entertaining punching bag... but the bottom line is that IF you are seriously interested about the games, not only can you get the scores, but most of the time an informational Scoresheet is attached for viewing. Times just changed.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:54 pm

goldy313 wrote:Consistency Karl, consistency. I've stuck with my 1AA teams through thin and thinner. We've been put down and disregarded by the best, usually deservedly so, but since that Justin Kloos led South team (actually Century in 2007) we've shown you naysayers the way, though you still deny it. I told you that South squad was a very good team, I was the first one on North's bandwagon last year.

What was Mel Gibson's line from Braveheart about revenge? It may have taken me years and two iterations of this bored but I may finally have it.
I didn't ever doubt South was a good team. Not sure where you got that idea. I had them in the top 10 in 2012, and was certainly was not among the people that gave them "no chance" against East. I was also fairly high on them the two previous years, but they choked in sections. I wasn't even around here yet during the 2007 Tourney. You sure you're not making me a scapegoat for the many other people who have been down on 1AA over the years?

I missed on North last year, no doubt, but that had a lot more to do with not knowing they'd reeled in all that talent from South and Farmington, which caused them to slip through the normal means of preseason talent measurement. Those same methods had me picking Farmington as my surprise team before this season, and had me higher on South than pretty much anyone else. The method hasn't changed; the talent levels on the teams in question has.

Traxler

Post by Traxler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 pm

goldy313 wrote:Consistency Karl, consistency. I've stuck with my 1AA teams through thin and thinner. We've been put down and disregarded by the best, usually deservedly so, but since that Justin Kloos led South team (actually Century in 2007) we've shown you naysayers the way, though you still deny it. I told you that South squad was a very good team, I was the first one on North's bandwagon last year.

Can you explain Rosemount 6 - Lakeville South 3? Is Rosemount good too? Did South have a hiccup?

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:25 pm

The 2011-2012 team Traxler.

I'd argue that South choked in sections, they played North. Though it's hard to say for sure many believe that loss kept Kloos in high school which was a great thing for fans of high school hockey. In 1AA we probably have more "upsets" than most sections and I'd put the nature of 5 of the 8 schools come from 2 towns is at the heart of it (Dodge County has never won a quarterfinal game so could you argue 5 of 7). I'd bet even with North ranked #1 this year they'd rather avoid South in sections and play someone else, That's the nature of those games.

It's not you Karl, it's just with your rankings, moderator status, and Duluth roots you make an easy target :D I still think Farmington was getting discounted more than they deserved, though you seem to be coming around.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Goldy, who do you see replacing Dodge County in 1AA next year when they rework their co-op and go to A next year.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Lots of things could happen, remember Century opted up this cycle.
*LeSeuer and New Ulm were in 2AA but petitioned down to A.
*Hastings competes in section 1 in many if not most sports.

My bet would be it come from that group of 3 as the MSHSL has pretty much drawn the metro/non metro line at Dakota County Hwy 42 ( I think that's the one that runs east-west from Rosemount through Burnsville to Shakopee. 2AA already is short teams while 3AA has too many, so again Hastings seems like a good candidate.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Hastings... I can see that

New Ulm dropped 2 schools out of co-op , their numbers aren't close

StPeter co-op would probably do the same

Thx

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 pm

No love for petey or scheids?

In the beginning this place was formless and empty. And the aforementioned posters along with Zamman, Bader/BIAFP, ChrisK, and others brought light.

And that was good.

But this place was still a baby, and still hadn't learned to walk.

TBC

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:14 am

The Petey/Slapshooter threads were about as good as it gets. For those who don't know Petey was a Jefferson guy through and through and SS was a section 8 guy (both in terms of geography and Maxwell Q. Klinger) and among his many talents Slapshooter could Petey going at any moment. In my opinion those were the best two posters this forum has seen. Demise of the rink rat was/is a topic anyone involved with running youth hockey anywhere would be wise to read. When SS was serious he was about as smart as it comes in relation to hockey and its evolution, when he wasn't he was still a good read.

There was an article linked on here about Bader and the WHL, it did remind me of the multiple Bader names we had, baderisgod, badersucks, BIAFP (use your imagination on that) etc.

(Lulic not Dudic I think)

Sheids was great as well, there was a great core of posters.

Among the other greats were a guy from Princeton, there was a poster who committed suicide, that really shook the "bored" I think and we were all fans of his posts.

Sterfry and hockeydad don't post much anymore but they're section 1 old timers I like to hear from and have really good takes.

TBC will keep me awake trying to figure out who that is....but the goldy/moldy reference is at least 10 years old and dissapeared after the Moorhead/Holy Smokes championship game :shock: