Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 10

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Tuesday, January 13, 2015
#6AA Edina 2 @ #3AA Minnetonka 3
#14AA Hopkins 2 @ #7AA Wayzata 3
#1A Blake 5 @ #8A Orono 1
#2A Thief River Falls 3 @ #5A Warroad 2

Wednesday, January 14, 2015
#4AA Hill-Murray 6 @ #18A Mahtomedi 1

Thursday, January 15, 2015
#2AA Maple Grove 2 @ #3AA Minnetonka [BGotW] 3
#19AA Rochester John Marshall/Lourde 2 @ #8AA Dodge County 4
#6A East Grand Forks 2 @ #5AA Roseau 3
#9A Proctor/Hermantown 3 @ #15A Hibbing/Chisholm 2

Friday, January 16, 2015
#19AA Rochester John Marshall/Lourde 2 @ #12AA Chaska/Chanhassen 4

Saturday, January 17, 2015
#1AA Eden Prairie 3 @ #14AA Hopkins 1
#14A Mound Westonka 2 @ #4A Breck 4
#19A New Ulm 2 @ #10A New Prague 4
#2AA Maple Grove 2 @ #4AA Hill-Murray 3
#7AA Wayzata 2 @ #3AA Minnetonka 4
#17AA Blaine 2 @ #13AA Elk River/Zimmerman 3
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 1 @ #12AA Chaska/Chanhassen 3
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Just a quick note that I may not update scores until tomorrow AM, as I must head back to work. 20 contestants so far, although we're missing a few of the usual suspects. Good luck to all.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

These picks will likely prove that last week was all luck! :? :o :?

Week 10

Tuesday, January 13
#6AA Edina 1, #3AA Minnetonka 3
#14AA Hopkins 2, #7AA Wayzata 3
#1A Blake 5, #8A Orono 1
#2A Thief River Falls 2, #5A Warroad 1

Wednesday, January 14
#4AA Hill-Murray 7, #18A Mahtomedi 1

Thursday, January 15
#2AA Maple Grove 1, #3AA Minnetonka 3 [BGotW]
#19AA Rochester John Marshall/Lourdes 2, #8AA Dodge County 4
#6A East Grand Forks 1, #5AA Roseau 4
#9A Proctor/Hermantown 4, #15A Hibbing/Chisholm 2

Friday, January 16
#19AA Rochester John Marshall/Lourdes 2, 12AA Chaska/Chanhassen 4

Saturday, January 17
#1AA Eden Prairie 3, #14AA Hopkins 1
#14A Mound Westonka 1, #4A Breck 5
#19A New Ulm 1, #10A New Prague 5
#2AA Maple Grove 2, #4AA Hill-Murray 1
#7AA Wayzata 2, #3AA Minnetonka 3
#17AA Blaine 2, #13AA Elk River/Zimmerman 3
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret’s 2, #12AA Chaska/Chanhassen 4
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNHockeyFan wrote:These picks will likely prove that last week was all luck!
Just teasing us, huh? Thinking we all had a chance this week and then entering your picks at the 11th hour?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Just teasing us, huh? Thinking we all had a chance this week and then entering your picks at the 11th hour?
My last-minute entry was just doing everyone a favor, lest they be dragged down into the "others" category where I usually finish. :wink:
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Sorry Grand Rapids. Respect!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

21 contestants this week, vying for 17 games, with the two Maple Grove games (vs. Tonka and vs. Hill-Murray) showing the most disagreement. Also, there are quite a few close games in that our esteemed panel predicted a total of 9 ties. Anyway, on to the Tuesday night games . . .

Minnetonka edged Edina 2-1, Edina scoring a short-handed goal with 3 seconds remaining to avoid the shutout. 16 of our panel predicted this outcome, but no correct scores.

Wayzata clipped Hopkins 3-1 behind Heising's two goals. Again, 16 of our panel predicted this one correctly, with U10father, D6GirlsFan, FishEye and hockeybozo hitting the correct score, while some of us continue our year-long patterns of getting one score correct and missing the other score by one goal.

Blake shut out Orono 3-0 to the surprise of only one. What was surprising was that the game was much closer and lower-scoring than anyone on the panel predicted, so no correct scores.

In the final game, Thief River Falls toppled Warroad 5-2, Bergland with the hat trick. Once again, 16 of our panelists selected TRF, but no correct scores.

With only 4 games played so far, there is a lot of bunching going on. The leaderboard stands as:

5 D6GirlsFan
4 clutterbucket, Conventional Wisdom, FishEye, hockeybozo, hugo_lucas, MNHockeyFan, Nordic, panpan111, sinbin, U10father, wolfman
3 6 others
2 4 others

Good luck the rest of the way.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

One game last night and points for almost everyone. Sometimes right is wrong, unfortunately. Hill-Murray mopped up Mahtomedi 10-1, Bonfe and Zarembinski with hat tricks. Although no one hit the correct score, kudos to hockeybozo for his 9-0 prediction.

Our leaderboard is virtually unchanged, with:

6 D6GirlsFan
5 clutterbucket, Conventional Wisdom, FishEye, hockeybozo, hugo_lucas,
MNHockeyFan, Nordic, panpan111, sinbin, U10father, wolfman
4 6 others
3 3 others
2 1 other

Four games tonight, including the BGotW, Maple Grove @ Tonka. Good luck to all.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Hill-Murray mopped up Mahtomedi 10-1, Bonfe and Zarembinski with hat tricks.
Just from looking at the box score it appears that the score could have been even more lopsided than it was. Final shots were 47-11 H-M, but only 6 of those 47 were taken in the 3rd period, during which the Pioneers scored just once and Mahtomedi got its only goal. Hill-Murray's coaching staff obviously instructed its players to back off, which I think most would argue shows good sportsmanship.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Four games tonight, several of them top-notch, as Judge Smails would say.

In the first game, also the Biggest Game of the Week, Minnetonka toppled Maple Grove 3-1. Shots were about even, but Tonka used a steady 1 goal per period to pull out the win. Things don't get much easier for Maple Grove, with Hill-Murray next. This could perhaps clarify the Section 6AA seedings as well. 2/3 of our 21 panelists predicted a Skippers' win. The cagey veteran, MNHockeyFan, hit the correct score and picks up the extra bonus point as well. I think he now has too much time on his hands and is performing the requisite research to make these sterling picks week after week.

In the second game, quite the upset according to our illustrious panel, as Rochester John Marshall/Lourde nipped Dodge County 1-0. No one predicted that outcome, although I have an odd feeling that MrLeft may have been the only one wise enough to see that one coming, had he entered this contest.

Roseau skated past East Grand Forks 3-1. Again, we were unanimous in that prediction, with hockeybozo, The Bone, and Misterright connecting on the correct score.

In the final game of the evening, Proctor/Hermantown blanked Hibbing/Chisholm 3-0. All but four of us foresaw that outcome, but no correct scores.

By virtue of his BGotW wizardry, MNHockeyFan vaults into the lead. Here is a recap of the rest of us trying to chase him down. With eight games to go, most of these are very one-sided, so the MG/H-M game and correct scores will determine the final results for the week.

10 MNHockeyFan
9 hockeybozo
8 Conventional Wisdom, D6GirlsFan, Nordic, panpan111, sinbin, The Bone, U10father
7 blondegirlsdad, clutterbucket, FishEye, hugo_lucas, nu2hockey, wolfman
6 4 others
5 3 others

Good luck to all (yes, even to MNHockeyFan, I suppose). 8)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:Good luck to all (yes, even to MNHockeyFan, I suppose). 8)
Thanks for wishing me the good luck, sinbin, even if somewhat belated. Although I normally don't gamble, I'm thinking seriously about buying a lottery ticket today...provided I can first find some time to do the necessary research. :wink: :roll: :wink:
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

My only advice is don't pick 1-2-3-4-5-6. The odds are SO against that happening.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

One quick update from last night, then a full docket of Hockey Day MN activities. Chaska/Chan defeated Rochester John Marshall/Lourde 6-1. All but one of us had that result. While a couple of close calls, no cigars for correct scores. The leaderboard is almost unchanged:

11 MNHockeyFan
10 hockeybozo
9 Conventional Wisdom, D6GirlsFan, Nordic, panpan111, sinbin, The Bone, U10father
8 blondegirlsdad, clutterbucket, FishEye, nu2hockey, wolfman
7 5 others
6 3 others

Good luck in today's games.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Most games final from today, but not quite finished. I need to drown my sorrows with some Wisconsin suds after tonight's thumping by the host Gophs men's team. Anyway, on to more pleasant news:

EP doubled up Hopkins 4-2, scoring 3 unanswered goals to pull away. EP continues to find a way to win games, somewhat reminiscent of a certain Lake Conference competitor in recent years. All but one of our panel picked the Eagles to soar over the Royals, while panpan111, nordic, mnhockey3535, and nu2hockey all correctly picked the final score. This tightens up the leaderboard somewhat.

Although tied after the first period, Breck skated away from Mound Westonka 10-1. Sy. Breza had a hat trick. Although many of us picked Mound Westonka to score 1 goal, no one picked more than 6 for Breck. A unanimous selection by our panel, so the leaderboard is unchanged.

In the battle of the New's, Prague topped Ulm 5-2. New Ulm with 11 more penalty minutes than SOG. Only one incorrect result and only one correct score, panpan111 again. Well done pan!

There's another thread about the ending of this game, but it must have been a thriller as Maple Grove nipped Hill-Murray 3-2 in overtime, scoring with just 4 seconds remaining in the extra stanza. This game was hotly contested by our panel, with 8 of us picking up points and massalsa painfully close to picking up a point if the game would have been a tie. We do congratulate Kinight7 and clutterbucket who both picked the correct score.

Minnetonka sailed past Wayzata 2-0. While only one of us did not pick this result, there were no correct scores.

Two more games to go yet tonight, Blaine vs. Elk River/Zimm and BSM vs. Chan/Chaska, an abbreviated leaderboard (i.e., those who have a chance of winning) is:

16 MNHockeyFan
15 panpan111
14 clutterbucket, hockeybozo, nordic, The Bone
13 and/or less - all the others

The picks are not quite unanimous in the final two games overall, but it appears that they're unanimous for the elite group above, so correct scores will decide their fates. Good luck to all.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Two final games Saturday to decide our collective predictive fates.

In the penultimate game, Elk River/Zimmerman blanked Blaine 2-0. All but two of our group predicted this outcome. Fisheye was the only contestant who hit the correct score.

In the final game, the biggest upset of the week according to our panel, Benilde-St. Margaret's edged Chaska/Chanhassen 5-3. Seven of the game's eight goals were scored in what must have been a wild second period. Congrats to massalsa and rascalbrock as the only two who picked a Red Knights win.

The final standings are as follows. MNHockeyFan continues his hot streak, holding off panpan111's late charge. Congratulations!

17 MNHockeyFan
16 panpan111
15 clutterbucket, Conventional Wisdom, FishEye, hockeybozo, Nordic, The Bone
14 D6GirlsFan, Knight7, nu2hockey, rascalbrock, sinbin, wolfman
13 4 others
12 1 other
10 2 others
9 1 other

Look for the Week 11 contest later today.