new 02/03 league

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Docs_88

Post by Docs_88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Never....have they been invited and are considering it or is it just talk? I only ask because I've heard a few people talking about it around the rink but nobody has been contacted.

Seems expensive for no practices and 14 games but fits nicely with the summer baseball schedule. If the skill level is what top end it might be worth it for some families though.

[/quote]

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Docs_88 wrote:Never....have they been invited and are considering it or is it just talk? I only ask because I've heard a few people talking about it around the rink but nobody has been contacted.

Seems expensive for no practices and 14 games but fits nicely with the summer baseball schedule. If the skill level is what top end it might be worth it for some families though.
It's not an invite format. It's open entry. The players we know who are already playing AAA are not participating. I could be wrong but it seems to me it will be difficult to fill that many spots without compromising skill level at least to some degree.
If they were billing this as anything other than an elite showcase league I think it would be a bigger draw. Many of the best players are already AAA committed. The huge number who are right at their heels talent wise are maybe not thinking they can play LPH.
I think it's important for every skater to skate somehow somewhere off season. But not everywhere everything off season.
Good luck![/quote]

knights58

Post by knights58 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:50 am

It is invite only....Most the top 02's are playing this along with AAA...the majority of Blades, Machine, and Euro kids along with a handful of the top northern kids have been invited and accepted to play. This is at the 02 boys level that I'm speaking to....I'm not sure where anyone got the "it's open entry" info from. if it is, where is the link? I know this because we personally know about 40 of the kids that have agreed to play at this point and have been apart of planning meetings. These boards are great, but people really need to get facts...If you have questions, email the link in the article and find out for yourself whether or not it's "open entry"

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Well, that's a relief. Just the other day, I was just wondering to myself, where in the world can these poor Machine and Blades kids go to fill the gaps in their hockey schedules. Thank you so much for sharing with the forum, so we can sleep a little easier at night.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm

knights58 wrote:It is invite only....Most the top 02's are playing this along with AAA...the majority of Blades, Machine, and Euro kids along with a handful of the top northern kids have been invited and accepted to play. This is at the 02 boys level that I'm speaking to....I'm not sure where anyone got the "it's open entry" info from. if it is, where is the link? I know this because we personally know about 40 of the kids that have agreed to play at this point and have been apart of planning meetings. These boards are great, but people really need to get facts...If you have questions, email the link in the article and find out for yourself whether or not it's "open entry"
I talked to the coordinator and exchanged a number of emails with LPH. We were discussing the girls side so maybe the two leagues are different in some respects. Thanks for the advice about getting the "facts." If I speak directly to the organization involved I assume they are giving me those "facts."

Still, 40 is a long way from having the numbers to fill the proposed teams. I am still of the opinion that there are no where close to that many elite players yet at 02 03. But good luck!

(P.S. I apparently have the secret "invite" link to register your players. With only the person with the credit card needing to certify your child as "elite." In other words, some are apparently being invited. Some are registering OPEN.)

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Just another CHECK BOOK hockey league, get in line behind the others please.

swede65

02/03 boys confirmation

Post by swede65 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:17 am

Hockey dudes -
Thanks for all the posts. My kid was invited by his coach so I came to this forum for some hockey insider info.
I'll call the league coordinator and ask about the vetting process (who got invited and why...) I'll post what I learn.
For the record:
I've asked other parents in our association (AA,A and B levels) to see if they've heard of this league. I know of only 3 that have heard of it. Their kids were also invited (two were first year '03 born PWAA players the other was a first year PWA player.)
Thanks again!

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:08 pm

My insiders tell me they went to their 1st choices of top end kids and about 80-90% said no thanks. So now they are on to the 2nd and 3rd round of phone calls. Eventually it will only be about filling out the rosters so the organization can make a few bucks

What I see happening is a few of the crazy dads who's kid plays on an invite team and who can't say no to any hockey will sign up. His kid will be surrounded by kids not at the same level (invite versus open). His kid will score 4, 5 to 6 goals a game. This dad will be so proud that his kid is so much better than the rest and will be standing by every stranger in the stands hoping it's a scout. The dads who's kid normally plays on an open team will scream short bench and be unhappy the way it's being coach

In the end, both parents will do it again next year because these type of parents just can't say no to hockey.

Docs_88

Post by Docs_88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
knights58 wrote:It is invite only....Most the top 02's are playing this along with AAA...the majority of Blades, Machine, and Euro kids along with a handful of the top northern kids have been invited and accepted to play. This is at the 02 boys level that I'm speaking to....

Or....

My insiders tell me they went to their 1st choices of top end kids and about 80-90% said no thanks. So now they are on to the 2nd and 3rd round of phone calls. Eventually it will only be about filling out the rosters so the organization can make a few bucks...

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth!

mackjogger

Is Bernie in Quebec City right now with team Minnesota?

Post by mackjogger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:41 pm

What is that exactly? :?: :?: :?: :?:

mackjogger

Re: Is Bernie in Quebec City right now with team Minnesota?

Post by mackjogger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 pm

mackjogger wrote:What is that exactly? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Bernie in Quebec City Pee Wee hockey tournament with Team MN
:?: :?:

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Funny timing, I just saw his kid interviewed on the bench during the Kings game.

Must be his Made AAU team at PeeWee Quebec.

SinBin125

Post by SinBin125 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:56 am

I heard they were using a 3 step process to get kids in the league. Last I heard they had a decent number of kids as a result of the initial invites. The next step was referrals and now they are having tryouts on the 19th to finish filling open spots. I know a couple of 02's from the south that are playing and an 03 goalie along with my son who is an 03 skater. All 4 of these kids play AAA as well as other summer sports.

We are approaching this as a fun opportunity...something new and a little different. It might be checkbook hockey, but it is also an opportunity for my kid to meet new kids, play some games with kids he might not have a chance to play with or against during regular season, but the most important factor is that my kid loves to play and he thinks it sounds like fun.

There is such a negative assumption when people talk about AAA hockey and similar programs. The truth is that anything outside of association hockey is checkbook hockey.

@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:44 am

The truth is that anything outside of association hockey is checkbook hockey
Partially wrong: they ALL take credit cards too. LOL.
But I would argue that the ultimate form of checkbook hockey is your association. Cha-ching! Every year: registration, team fund, ice, etc.

As for this league, it's the way all new opportunities are handled. All of the arguing and debating about "is it elite enough?"

My advice:
Just give it a try if you want, or skip it if you have other plans.

You can take a pass. It's OK. It really is OK.

If you weren't contacted, no big deal. If you want to use the secret registration button, do it and feel shame.

Listen to your insiders. They always speak the truth, because it is first hand info. I listen to a little birdie.

Docs88 is right-somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Start a 529 plan for your little 02/03.

And lastly, never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 pm

I think what is said by check book hockey, is considered a For-Profit type of hockey environment. Your association hockey is suppose to be Non-profit and the money goes to support the association. Check book hockey in my eyes goes right into the pockets of the guys smart enough to con you into thinking your little angels are the next Wayne Gretzky.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

My personal definition of checkbook hockey is that if the check clears the player makes the team (unless the player is so horrible it would be an embarassment). It's about families who can afford it being able to buy their player a spot onto the best teams where they will have the opportunity to get noticed. It rubs those families who cannot afford (or aren't willing) to spend that kind of money on a game the wrong way as they feel their player is being slighted, or held back, due to socio-economic reasons and not talent.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:My personal definition of checkbook hockey is that if the check clears the player makes the team (unless the player is so horrible it would be an embarassment). It's about families who can afford it being able to buy their player a spot onto the best teams where they will have the opportunity to get noticed. It rubs those families who cannot afford (or aren't willing) to spend that kind of money on a game the wrong way as they feel their player is being slighted, or held back, due to socio-economic reasons and not talent.
Disagree. Maybe in some cases, but some AAA programs definitely "negotiate" player fees for the best players the same way some privates "scholarship." We personally define "checkbook hockey" as the above poster said - FOR profit. Not just fees from the players for xyz but kick backs from apparel, photos, even certain venues. I don't think it's wrong to do any of these kinds of programs I am just pretty deliberate and careful in how I evaluate them. It's the unrealistic expectations that hurt the kids and the game. Otherwise, have fun. "Some of my best friends are checkbook hockey parents." 8)

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:My personal definition of checkbook hockey is that if the check clears the player makes the team (unless the player is so horrible it would be an embarassment). It's about families who can afford it being able to buy their player a spot onto the best teams where they will have the opportunity to get noticed. It rubs those families who cannot afford (or aren't willing) to spend that kind of money on a game the wrong way as they feel their player is being slighted, or held back, due to socio-economic reasons and not talent.
Disagree. Maybe in some cases, but some AAA programs definitely "negotiate" player fees for the best players the same way some privates "scholarship." We personally define "checkbook hockey" as the above poster said - FOR profit. Not just fees from the players for xyz but kick backs from apparel, photos, even certain venues. I don't think it's wrong to do any of these kinds of programs I am just pretty deliberate and careful in how I evaluate them. It's the unrealistic expectations that hurt the kids and the game. Otherwise, have fun. "Some of my best friends are checkbook hockey parents." 8)
Correct. Some AAA programs do find "sponsors" for top players in order to get them on the team so the team can win. But that doesn't change what I originally said, that checkbook hockey is about buying a place on a team. Players who otherwise wouldn't make a team can make a team if the check written is large enough. Players with similar talent who cannot afford to do such a thing are left on the outside looking in.

Docs_88

Post by Docs_88 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am

I wonder what Swede65 ever found out from the league coordinator?? My personal opinion is that if you want to call it checkbook hockey or not its no different than a AAA program. Half the price but fewer hours so the per hour price is still up there and expensive. I don't consider my son the next Great One. He is a first year AA peewee that is solid. Cost aside, would I consider this league? Sure, but only because he plays traveling AAA baseball so your typical AAA summer hockey schedule is tough to fit in without missing practice or game time for one or the other. This league starts about the time baseball season is over and if the other players in the league could push him to be better, great. No illusions that he would get noticed by some scout, come on. He's 12. If your good enough when you get closer to or in high school they will find you.

Better Dead Than Red

Post by Better Dead Than Red » Thu May 07, 2015 2:14 pm

This league is being run by Bernie and Minnesota Made:

https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/Busi ... 1ec94ffe7f

Interesting that he hasn't put the Minnesota Made name anywhere...

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 pm

That doesn't surprise. Right or wrong some people want nothing to do with anything stamped MN Made. So I'm sure he didn't want to "promote it" as a Mn Made product, especially when he's promising scouts at the games.

Personally I applaud the man for trying to make money selling ice. Is he perfect? far from it. Do I agree with most of his philosophies ? Nope... Will my kid being playing in this July league "not a chance'. But that being said he's lasted a lot longer than most critics gave him and he has forced associations to do a better job taking care of their young skaters.

I just don't know where we go from here? Hockey is now to expensive for most families. It now lasts 12 months for many families. Any chance the games with be streamed via the internet so when I'm sitting at the pool with my kids we can occasionally check it out online? Or will I just have to get a twitter account and follow all the NHL pro scouts who will no doubt be tweating from the games that they found the next Eichel

nobody

Post by nobody » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

might be some roster changes coming on the """"elite""" invite teams. even in the watered down premier league some trends are emerging....

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 pm

nobody wrote:might be some roster changes coming on the """"elite""" invite teams. even in the watered down premier league some trends are emerging....
Here's one trend. There are not enough players in the league on the girls' side.

Last weekend, the first weekend of games, the organizers were forced to play 4 v 4 in some of the 02 Girls games because each team had only 8 skaters in attendance. A couple of the 03 teams also only had enough for two lines.

Kind of a tough deal when the girls (rising 6th-8th graders) are playing 17 minute stop time periods.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Let's see.... 1-2 elite kids per team playing along side kids who normally play on their associations B team ....My guess is puck movement is at a minimum, the shifts are longer than long and those elite kids are padding the stats so daddy can continue to live his life thru the kid

If they want to equal out the teams, maybe they should ask all those pro and college scouts in attendance do a mock draft. :D Heck, I'm sure these scouts have been sending daily reports back to their head coaches and GM's. Do you think it's to much to ask for these NHL GM's to help pick the new teams? Can't hurt to ask can it?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:19 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Let's see.... 1-2 elite kids per team playing along side kids who normally play on their associations B team ....My guess is puck movement is at a minimum, the shifts are longer than long and those elite kids are padding the stats so daddy can continue to live his life thru the kid

If they want to equal out the teams, maybe they should ask all those pro and college scouts in attendance do a mock draft. :D Heck, I'm sure these scouts have been sending daily reports back to their head coaches and GM's. Do you think it's to much to ask for these NHL GM's to help pick the new teams? Can't hurt to ask can it?
=D>