Is EP This Year's Achiever Academy?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

faceisoff

Is EP This Year's Achiever Academy?

Post by faceisoff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 am

Can anyone confirm that one of the EP goalies who played varsity games this year has been released/cut from the playoff roster for violations of the MSHSL Transfer Rule, and if so, how does that affect the Section Seeding and EP's eligibility for the remainder of the year?

Lace'emUp

Re: Is EP This Year's Achiever Academy?

Post by Lace'emUp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:03 am

faceisoff wrote:Can anyone confirm that one of the EP goalies who played varsity games this year has been released/cut from the playoff roster for violations of the MSHSL Transfer Rule, and if so, how does that affect the Section Seeding and EP's eligibility for the remainder of the year?
How many games did this goalie specifically play? My guess is that EP just found out about this now. If it's only one player, and they did not contribute to a significant part to their season, I predict that nothing will happen. It appears that EP has applied it's own self discipline once they found out about the violation and has removed this player from the team. If this player actually contributed significantly to the team throughout the season, EP will be at a disadvantage between the pipes for the remainder of the playoffs.

Remember, AA had multiple violations and did not apply any "self discipline". They knew they were breaking the rules from the start of the season. They only pulled out after coming under heavy scrutiny from the media, etc.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:43 am

Interesting that these issues always seem to be "discovered" right around playoff time. Even if true, much different from AA. If a truly ineligible player played in one or more games, what are the MSHSL consequences?

Newly1234

Post by Newly1234 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 am

faceisoff wrote:Can anyone confirm that one of the EP goalies who played varsity games this year has been released/cut from the playoff roster for violations of the MSHSL Transfer Rule, and if so, how does that affect the Section Seeding and EP's eligibility for the remainder of the year?
Didn't they return both goalies from last year?

How could you violate the transfer rule if you attendeed the school the previous year?

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:17 am

EP had three goalies all season long. One was cut for the playoff team roster. I don't know what went into the decision, and I won't conjecture. It must be painful for all involved. I know that my daughter feels terrible when one of her teammates is left behind. I do know that the decision has nothing to do with eligability as the player in question lives near my neighborhood, smack dab in the middle of Eden Praire. This was her second season with the team and she was an eligable player last year.

Maybe some of our players should be ineligable because they are too skilled, work too hard, or do too well in school.

I enjoy hockey because my daughter likes to play and it is a fun game to watch. Other people appear to have other interests. Instead of hockey you should try "Dance Moms" or any of the "Real Housewives" shows.

boardguy1998

Post by boardguy1998 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:20 am

She was not put on the roster due to issues with the coach, is what I heard from EP dads. She played in EP last year, so the issue would have been last year not this year.

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:39 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
EP had three goalies all season long. One was cut for the playoff team roster. I don't know what went into the decision, and I won't conjecture. It must be painful for all involved. I know that my daughter feels terrible when one of her teammates is left behind. I do know that the decision has nothing to do with eligability as the player in question lives near my neighborhood, smack dab in the middle of Eden Praire. This was her second season with the team and she was an eligable player last year.

Maybe some of our players should be ineligable because they are too skilled, work too hard, or do too well in school.

I enjoy hockey because my daughter likes to play and it is a fun game to watch. Other people appear to have other interests. Instead of hockey you should try "Dance Moms" or any of the "Real Housewives" shows.
This is getting funny now. Your saying that they "cut" her to go with a backup goalie that played 1 game which was vs. East Grand Forks and chose not to take a goalie with State Tourney experience from last year and about 6 games this year! LOL ! come on..gotta be more to the story or this trails to bad area !! Need update !!

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 pm

If you or AMERICAN are looking for a story you could check a certain single A teams score sheets and compare them to Hockey Hub. Confirmed by 2 of 2 coaches that 4 of 4 games against said team had the goalie's stats padded by 25%. I'm sure nobody cares but if your daughter was a senior goalie and got overlooked for a senior goalie semifinalist spot you might be a little upset knowing that one of those kids real save % was potentially 20 or 30 points lower.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:04 pm

tinroofrusted wrote:This is getting funny now. Your saying that they "cut" her to go with a backup goalie that played 1 game which was vs. East Grand Forks and chose not to take a goalie with State Tourney experience from last year and about 6 games this year! LOL ! come on..gotta be more to the story or this trails to bad area !! Need update !!
The coaching staff made the decision. It was not forced upon they by any rule infraction. That is all I or you need to know. Going beyond that is prying into the life of the player, a young lady who is no doubt devistated. Where's your sense of propriety? I need to go wash my hands now.

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
tinroofrusted wrote:This is getting funny now. Your saying that they "cut" her to go with a backup goalie that played 1 game which was vs. East Grand Forks and chose not to take a goalie with State Tourney experience from last year and about 6 games this year! LOL ! come on..gotta be more to the story or this trails to bad area !! Need update !!
The coaching staff made the decision. It was not forced upon they by any rule infraction. That is all I or you need to know. Going beyond that is prying into the life of the player, a young lady who is no doubt devistated. Where's your sense of propriety? I need to go wash my hands now.
Getting more interesting. "It was not forced upon they by any rule infraction." and she was obviously the stronger of the backup goalies since she played vs. top ranked team like Hill Murray. How is this prying into a "life of a player". Either you're saying she was "cut" and it was a coach that cut her and there should be reason or did she quit? and for that I will not ask about!
Last edited by tinroofrusted on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:15 pm

The coach made the call. Everyone's legal here. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as Acheater's Academy is insulting.

puckdaddy99

Post by puckdaddy99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:28 pm

It's really a shame this has unfolded this way if true. A great kid and very good goalie. We have a log jam at goalie with two sophomores and if things stayed the same would have been 1 junior and 2 sophomores.

I am sure there were plenty of games they both could have played versus going exclusively with a freshman and only time will tell when you may require that seasoned tandem. I am sure our goalies wish they could each play more too. Should have worked at EP. Hope this does not become the distraction Edina needs to knock them off.

Big schools chasing titles. And from all the scores including ours the state of girls hockey is becoming the haves and have nots. You will not get a close game until the finals or semis at best. Much different than the boys side.

Plenty of opportunities for all these coaches to play all their kids and still win while developing all their players. Roll Tide Roll

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Bowhunter I wonder if that is the same A school being investigated for an ineligible transfer - playing in her third school in three years and faked a move to get to the x.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

D6 Girls Fan wrote:The coach made the call. Everyone's legal here. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as Acheater's Academy is insulting.
Maybe it's time to call in Tipler from St.Paul United to find the infraction with eligibility here...or perhaps it's not worth his time and effort since it doesn't involve him getting to a state tournament...like last years mess between United and Achiever

hockeybozo

Post by hockeybozo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Low blow HB, Whoever turned in Cheater Academy did us all a favor
The new school was purposely cheating and was flaunting it in front our faces. I would not be surprised if CP is still flaunting rules in AAA in order to "Achieve" success. But that is for a different forum.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Hansonbrother wrote:
D6 Girls Fan wrote:The coach made the call. Everyone's legal here. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as Acheater's Academy is insulting.
Maybe it's time to call in Tipler from St.Paul United to find the infraction with eligibility here...or perhaps it's not worth his time and effort since it doesn't involve him getting to a state tournament...like last years mess between United and Achiever
Who? What?
Dozens of complaints were made to the MSHSL against Achiever beginning from their first game. The fact that Perry and company couldn't be bothered to investigate eligibility violations until the Star Trib got involved at the very end of the season, well I don't see how you can attribute Achievers demise to anything other than the fact that they cheated all along and the MSHSL was going to be forced to show some integrity after dodging the AA bullet all season.

kicksave33

Post by kicksave33 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm

HansonBro: ignore that other chatter, you nailed it. At this point, only a self-serving e-mail like the one from Tipler-St Paul United last year can save the day now. But remember, do not bust that e-mail out until the eve of the section final like he did! If you expose the cheaters too early, you may actually have to win a section final to advance to the tournament. (And please ignore the hypocrisy of them having a player from up north living in the basement of an SPA student.) No problem tho, the hockey gods paid them back in the state tournament.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 pm

I love how people find creative and self serving ways to defend cheating. Who cares who discovered it or how they presented it? If somebody is cheating, they should be punished, not rewarded.

I bet if Tipler got date raped some of you would tell him he deserved it for dressing like a slut.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 am

kicksave33 wrote:HansonBro: ignore that other chatter, you nailed it. At this point, only a self-serving e-mail like the one from Tipler-St Paul United last year can save the day now. But remember, do not bust that e-mail out until the eve of the section final like he did! If you expose the cheaters too early, you may actually have to win a section final to advance to the tournament. (And please ignore the hypocrisy of them having a player from up north living in the basement of an SPA student.) No problem tho, the hockey gods paid them back in the state tournament.
Well you don't normally see an attorney work his butt off for free do you?There has to be a payback for them I would think!?? Would they do it for the integrity of the sport if they had nothing to gain personally?? I doubt it! So a State Tourney appearance banner was won but there is still the underlying fact that one team had better overall group of players than the other and the parents of the weaker wanted nothing to do with playing the stronger and getting beat 7-1 again....Protecting your daughter is a very natural And Honorable trait!! Good job!!! Looks like SPU has a nice easy path this year to State tournament appearance glory now that that evil, cheating, Better team is not in section 4A.
Good-luck to all the teams remaining!

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:51 am

I suspect Achiever Academy played fast and loose with eligibility rules because they didn't care. Their saw little value in following MSHSL rules, all the time wanting to be the metro version of SSM. They were likely shocked that it took nearly the entire season before MSHSL was forced to take action. Now they have what they wanted from the very start, a clearly different option to high school hockey. I don't know if what happened last year was cheating or a business plan.

RailingWizardofOZ

Post by RailingWizardofOZ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:06 am

AAA Dad wrote:
kicksave33 wrote:HansonBro: ignore that other chatter, you nailed it. At this point, only a self-serving e-mail like the one from Tipler-St Paul United last year can save the day now. But remember, do not bust that e-mail out until the eve of the section final like he did! If you expose the cheaters too early, you may actually have to win a section final to advance to the tournament. (And please ignore the hypocrisy of them having a player from up north living in the basement of an SPA student.) No problem tho, the hockey gods paid them back in the state tournament.
Well you don't normally see an attorney work his butt off for free do you?There has to be a payback for them I would think!?? Would they do it for the integrity of the sport if they had nothing to gain personally?? I doubt it! So a State Tourney appearance banner was won but there is still the underlying fact that one team had better overall group of players than the other and the parents of the weaker wanted nothing to do with playing the stronger and getting beat 7-1 again....Protecting your daughter is a very natural And Honorable trait!! Good job!!! Looks like SPU has a nice easy path this year to State tournament appearance glory now that that evil, cheating, Better team is not in section 4A.
Good-luck to all the teams remaining!

WOW!! I guess in the almost 12months we’ve had since this incident that there hasn’t been any clarity reached or brought your way. There is not a “team” when it is not deemed official by the rules in place of the league you chose to compete in. Your argument, position and understanding of the rules is flawed, but it does help us all understand now how AA could get into the situation they did with this path of logic. I do also love the irony of how you worked in the word “honorable” within your classic Psychology 101 example of deflection. PRICELESS!!!!

“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”
Mark Twain
(You are well on your way AAA Dad)

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:14 am

You can play wherever you want, just play by the rules in place. Which AA did not. Note the Jackie Robinson West little league team now being stripped of their title. Arrogance in flaunting the rules was the saddest part.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:55 am

If you really think you KNOW that EP or SPU or the Mirage or SSP or any program (successful or not, tourney bound or not) is cheating, instead of saying so here or bitching to out of town parents at your local tournament or railing on some guy who maybe did something a year ago, why don't you speak up in a manner which counts? Instead of rumors and speculation bring your info to the press and the MSHSL. If it's legit, you are helping to restore integrity to the game. If it's not (or can't be proven) you just seem spiteful and wanting to excuse the "unfairness" of the situation. Whether your motive is to help your own team or section, or you just really are invested in the parity, impartiality, and equal standards for all MSHSL teams - seriously, it's almost tourney time. Put up or shut up. Good luck to everyone at section finals.

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Nevertoomuchhypocrisy, you really are a tool. First you drop this turd: "Bowhunter I wonder if that is the same A school being investigated for an ineligible transfer - playing in her third school in three years and faked a move to get to the x." Then in typical Nevertoomuchposturing style you write this: "Instead of rumors and speculation bring your info blah,blahblah" Wow. I suppose next you will erase your other posts just like you always do when called on the carpet. Get a life. YEs, we all get it, you don't have any girls playing HS yet, your just a big fan. LOL What a joke. :roll:

esox101

Post by esox101 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 pm

You know, reading all this makes me kind of grateful that my daughter plays for a team that isn't all that good.

She can go win some, lose a few more, and actually enjoy the game of hockey without it turning into a soap opera with a cast of characters who, when it comes right down to it, don't have anything beyond opinions shared loudly and often.

Honestly - sometimes this place has all the social dynamics of a middle school at recess.