would you support

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zambonidriver

would you support

Post by zambonidriver »

A high school coach who:
1. rolls three lines no matter what the score
2. allows only 9-12 to tryout
3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
5. is willing to let stud players leave because of 1-4
THoughts
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

How would any coach who doesn't tell the truth be supported? As for rolling 3 lines no matter what, not sure I would understand that logic except for possibly at the youth levels. Also as for only 9-12 trying out, some schools have exceptional athlete policies that don't allow for anyone younger than 9th graders to try out.
LZ94

Re: would you support

Post by LZ94 »

zambonidriver wrote:A high school coach who:
3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
1. Rolling three lines no matter what could put some girls in PP/PK situations they are not ready for.

2. 9-12 is definition is HS.

3. Transparent is good

4. So is truth

5. Commit to a philospophy, not a player
PondHockeyChampion

Post by PondHockeyChampion »

3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
#1, #3, #4 would be very hard for the Head coach at Tonka to follow since he does not do this now unless you are the magnificent 10. Looks good from the outside, lots of tarnish on the inside
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

PondHockeyChampion wrote:
3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
#1, #3, #4 would be very hard for the Head coach at Tonka to follow since he does not do this now unless you are the magnificent 10. Looks good from the outside, lots of tarnish on the inside
It is so easy to sit in front of a keyboard and crititize. I'm sure Coach Johnson would be man enough to sit down with you and tell you why how he views your daughter as a player. Instead of bashing the program on the internet, man up and have a face to face meeting!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Funny thing is your first post on the site was commenting how you just popped into watch a game. The bottom line is a relative of yours in some capacity isn't getting enough playing time. Have this person talk to coach Johnson. I am sure he will gladly sit her down and talk about the role she has on the team. What are you teaching her by doing this?

Also, please comment on this. How many girls teams right now are playing 3 lines REGULARILY? I know of one AA team that third line played less then tonka and they are in state.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
The level of ignorance in this post is amazing.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
PHChump..You are not a parent on this team so you don't know, so don't speak on behalf of our program...very poor character bashing another program you are not involved in.
PondHockeyChampion

mulefarm wrote:
3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
It is so easy to sit in front of a keyboard and crititize. I'm sure Coach Johnson would be man enough to sit down with you and tell you why how he views your daughter as a player. Instead of bashing the program on the internet, man up and have a face to face meeting!
Sorry Mule, can't we post opinions here? For the record, already had that face to face meeting. Came away shocked by the behavior, language, and comments used. I am very happy there are alternatives for our youngest who happens to be on a top ranked youth team that hopefully will have a good chance to win state. Already have her registered. I know I will never let her to play for a coach who exhibits this type of behavior towards young girls. Remember - lazy coaches take the easy route until they are challenged.
PondHockeyChampion

36Guy wrote:
3.is totally transparent
4. tells the truth
THoughts
PHChump..You are not a parent on this team so you don't know, so don't speak on behalf of our program...very poor character bashing another program you are not involved in.
Are you a stalker following me around on this board? You need to go back to standing in the corner and cheering that 3rd line on. Will you be wearing your white-out for Thursday's game?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

mulefarm wrote:
PondHockeyChampion wrote: #1, #3, #4 would be very hard for the Head coach at Tonka to follow since he does not do this now unless you are the magnificent 10. Looks good from the outside, lots of tarnish on the inside
Sorry Mule, can't we post opinions here? For the record, already had that face to face meeting. Came away shocked by the behavior, language, and comments used. I am very happy there are alternatives for our youngest who happens to be on a top ranked youth team that hopefully will have a good chance to win state. Already have her registered. I know I will never let her to play for a coach who exhibits this type of behavior towards young girls. Remember - lazy coaches take the easy route until they are challenged.[/quote
So you are saying Coach Johnson is a lazy coach? I hope things work out for your youngest daughter. Just remember if her HS coach is only playing 6 forwards, and she is on of them, you tell the coach that you don't want her playing that much because you believe 3 lines should be played! I hope you practice what you preach? Remember lazy parents take the easy route until they are challenged.
tarasov

woud you support

Post by tarasov »

NO! But, I'd be in big time favor of whining parents just shutting up and letting the coaches coach and the players play. Life isn't fair...deal with it!
PondHockeyChampion

mulefarm wrote:
mulefarm wrote: It is so easy to sit in front of a keyboard and crititize. I'm sure Coach Johnson would be man enough to sit down with you and tell you why how he views your daughter as a player. Instead of bashing the program on the internet, man up and have a face to face meeting!
Sorry Mule, can't we post opinions here? For the record, already had that face to face meeting. Came away shocked by the behavior, language, and comments used. I am very happy there are alternatives for our youngest who happens to be on a top ranked youth team that hopefully will have a good chance to win state. Already have her registered. I know I will never let her to play for a coach who exhibits this type of behavior towards young girls. Remember - lazy coaches take the easy route until they are challenged.[/quote
So you are saying Coach Johnson is a lazy coach? I hope things work out for your youngest daughter. Just remember if her HS coach is only playing 6 forwards, and she is on of them, you tell the coach that you don't want her playing that much because you believe 3 lines should be played! I hope you practice what you preach? Remember lazy parents take the easy route until they are challenged.
All good - If I was that lazy parent I would stay knowing she has a great chance at state in the later years. I am thankful there are options and we are fortunate to have those which I know may not be the case for other girls or as 36 would call them, Blue Army. I choose not to be that hypocrite. It's not about winning at all costs and I hope she is coached life lessons while playing for a team that probably will be .500 at best when she is there. In today's electronic information age, poor behavior by coaches can be exposed to the masses. Do I have an agenda to expose that behavior, absolutely. The current group of Blue Army girls are a great group and I hope they win it all. Do I wish that same success for their coach, absolutely not. I was simply answering the questions posed in the topic if you would play for a coach who was like this....and that has been our experience dealing with this individual. It's free speech and everyone has the right not to read the posts I make...
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

Enough Gent's...let the kids play and find their way within the game.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

ARe there a lot of parents with the same thoughts? If so take the proper steps. Forum boards may not be the best way to get the results your looking for. If only a couple feel the way you just tell your player to keep working hard. It will payoff someday. The coach is the guy in charge, like it or not. Most programs play to win and do not play everyone.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

My two cents. If a player (note I did not say parent) is not happy with their play time, line, etc., they should take it up with the coach. Ask him/her what they need to do to play more or to get on one of the top lines. Honorable coaches respect that and will provide honest feedback and they learn that kid cares enough to want to get better. If the coach doesn't handle it well, then the parent either uses that as a life lesson for the kid OR takes it up with the AD. If the AD is any good, he/she says something like, "I know that is how this person coaches, and they are doing what I expect" (i.e., supports the coach). More likely though the AD caters to the parent. Either way, if a coach is not coaching the way the AD expects (play to win, play equally, teach them to be good citizens, just make everyone happy so they don't bother me, etc.) and enough parents complain, then something might be done. Forums aren't the place for this. And for the record, I have no reason to support this coach and perhaps have 2 or 3 Section final experiences to suggest I shouldn't, but I will say if winning is a substantial factor in retaining his job, he is a very good coach. If he is not doing what you think he should do, either you are wrong or the AD is wrong for keeping him. Don't blame the coach for doing what has worked for him over the last several years.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

My answer will always be yes I support the coach. As long as my kid is on his or her team, I will unquestionably support them in public and to anyone in or out of the program. If I can't support him/her to my child in the privacy of my own home and can't swallow his/her philosophy, favoritism, manipulation, or dishonesty toward the players or it's a question of ethics or integrity, the conversation at home with my son (12u is too soon for any athlete to carry these "game" burdens) is 1) what do YOU think, 2) what have YOU done to make it better, 3) can you live with it if it doesn't change? And 4) what do YOU want to do now? He's had coaches who have earned his highest respect and taught him lessons he will always take with him. He's had blowhard and coach dads and guys who shouldn't be around ANY kids at all ever. They've also taught him things he will never forget. I guess bottom line is that as long as we are part of a team or club or whatever, I will stand by the decisions of those who lead. My kid or family can leave if it gets so bad I want to bad mouth my own team. That's like taking the poison and waiting for your enemy to die. IMHO nothing trumps talent or divides a locker room more than parents who are sending their own agenda through their athlete to the coach and other players.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Based on the posting above, we know our Tonka parent has kids on the varsity and the U12A Black team (matter of fact, I know our daughters have played a few times in the past). I hope your daughters do well at State, at both levels!!