Cheap Shot

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mgrockswayzata

Cheap Shot

Post by mgrockswayzata »

Wow. What a cheap shot by #7 Williamson of Edina.
Nice call by the ref to give her 5 minutes but should have
been thrown out of the game.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

You feel bad for her and the team, but that was the correct call.
MNHockeyFan

Re: Cheap Shot

Post by MNHockeyFan »

mgrockswayzata wrote:Wow. What a cheap shot by #7 Williamson of Edina.
It was close. Gutsy to call a major at that critical juncture, but for sure Williamson deserved at least that much. Glad the Hill-Murray player is OK.
mgrockswayzata

Post by mgrockswayzata »

Feel bad for her? I feel bad for the girl that she cross checked to the head for no reason. I hope the Hill Murray girl can play in the championship
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

You feel bad that she lost her cool and basically cost the team the game. But she won many many many more for them in her career.

The H-M girl was out for the subsequent power play , she's fine.
36Guy

Cheap Shot

Post by 36Guy »

Leave it alone! Win with grace..bad decision and her and her team paid for it. Now your going post...weak!!
Congrats to my buddy at HM! Another night to look forward to!!
Sparlimb

Re: Cheap Shot

Post by Sparlimb »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
mgrockswayzata wrote:Wow. What a cheap shot by #7 Williamson of Edina.
It was close. Gutsy to call a major at that critical juncture, but for sure Williamson deserved at least that much. Glad the Hill-Murray player is OK.
Was a tough call and its obviously tough to take a major with 8 minutes left in a tied game. When I told my wife HM took a penalty with 90 seconds left, she assumed it was a makeup call, but that was a legit penalty too. I've see too many HM playoff games (usually against Roseville) where they are 1 or 2 players short to end the game. Always makes for high tension.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Tough call?? nothing tough about that call. Williamson took a bad penalty and it cost Edina the game and a chance for a shot at a state title. To say it was a gutsy call is ridiculous. They don't come any more obvious than that.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

hockeywild7 wrote:Tough call?? nothing tough about that call. Williamson took a bad penalty and it cost Edina the game and a chance for a shot at a state title. To say it was a gutsy call is ridiculous. They don't come any more obvious than that.
I don't understood the attitude some people have about penalties. Why is it ok for a team to cheat just because the game is close or because the other team doesn't flop whenever they are tripped, hooked, checked, etc. Penalizing the infraction puts a team at a disadvantage, but that is the purpose of the penalty. Allowing play to continue has the effect of penalizing the other team for following the rules. I grind my teeth each time I hear someone yell "Let em play!". Next time shout "Let em cheat!"

The Williamson penalty was an easy call. She should have been tossed out. The HM player was clearly shaken and probably shouldn't have returned to play until after a concussion evaluation. She hit the ice hard twice in a short span and was slow getting up each time.
LZ94

Post by LZ94 »

luckyEPDad wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:Tough call?? nothing tough about that call. Williamson took a bad penalty and it cost Edina the game and a chance for a shot at a state title. To say it was a gutsy call is ridiculous. They don't come any more obvious than that.
I don't understood the attitude some people have about penalties. Why is it ok for a team to cheat just because the game is close or because the other team doesn't flop whenever they are tripped, hooked, checked, etc. Penalizing the infraction puts a team at a disadvantage, but that is the purpose of the penalty. Allowing play to continue has the effect of penalizing the other team for following the rules. I grind my teeth each time I hear someone yell "Let em play!". Next time shout "Let em cheat!"

The Williamson penalty was an easy call. She should have been tossed out. The HM player was clearly shaken and probably shouldn't have returned to play until after a concussion evaluation. She hit the ice hard twice in a short span and was slow getting up each time.
I agree 100% with EP dad - a penalty in the first minute of first period should be in last minute of tie game. In my experiences, refs have done a much better job of calling what they see, not the 1980's version of changing the rule book as the score stays close and the clock ticks down.
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

This was definitely a penalty and right call. I'm sure she will still be Ms. Hockey come Sunday afternoon.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

I am agreeing with you EP, my point was I said it was an obvious penalty and should have been called. As far as saying taking penalties is cheating, that's taking it a bit too far. Cheating is intentional and many penalties are not.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Well I did say that "Williamson deserved at least that much", i.e. the 5 minute major that she received. By "gutsy call" I should have been more clear. What I meant was that so often you'll see the refs swallow their whistles in the last few minutes of a tight game, or they'll call a real obvious major penalty a minor when the game's on the line at the end. But this time they made the right call, and as you say it did end up costing Edina the game, as it should have.
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

The penalty discussion is kind of a side story. Hill put up 47 shots on Edina. Edina had 18. Not sure if Hill is that much more talented or if Edina didn't show up.
Jiblet

Post by Jiblet »

Bulldog3489 wrote:The penalty discussion is kind of a side story. Hill put up 47 shots on Edina. Edina had 18. Not sure if Hill is that much more talented or if Edina didn't show up.
Hill is just better and should have put game away earlier. Edina is an average team with Ms. Hockey and 3 good players. Sad way to go down but #7 took over and won so many games By herself over her career, now she ended up losing game for team. Classy player, classy team, classy coaching staff so it's unfortunate.
sk8

Post by sk8 »

“Cheating”? wasn't EP was the most penalized team in the Lake Confc by quite a bit...possibly the most in the top 10 AA.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

It sounds like the better team won this contest, and the officials did a decent job of calling the game.

As for all the opinions on how, when and which penalties should be called, I'm wondering if any of those opinions are educated from real life experience?

There's a variety of threads based on what coaches and officials should be doing, that appear mostly based on opinions by people that have done neither at any comparative level. Strange....
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

inthestands wrote:
There's a variety of threads based on what coaches and officials should be doing, that appear mostly based on opinions by people that have done neither at any comparative level. Strange....
Because unless you've officiated at a high school level you can't possibly understand the finer nuances of a crosscheck to the face.

Forgive my sarcasm, but if comparative experience is a qualifier for having an opinion on something, then we should just stop having opinions on just about everything.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

She definitely got her money's worth on that 2 handed crosscheck to the head. I believe that there was a history with that girl and HM but I do not think that there is really any good excuse for that level of aggression to a skater that appeared to be dazed and was just trying to get off the ice.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=868951

I was watching that game at a restaurant and could not believe it when I saw it on the screen and had no volume to hear the announcers at the time but then listened to it at home on the DVR.

It looked as if HM played a tougher brand of defense against both Edina and Minnetonka. They were not afraid to play some body and use the stick to limit the ability of Williamson and then in the championship game on Norby and "the move in" as someone somewhere else on this forum first called #10.