Hawks are the Buffalo Bills of high school hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thestickler07

Hawks are the Buffalo Bills of high school hockey

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm

6 runner-ups in a row, done in absolutely soul crushing fashion this time.

I'm not big on "emotional hangovers" and mental blocks but I don't know how else to describe what's going on with this team. Everytime they are on the big stage they freeze.

A lot of people have been clamoring for the Hawks to move up but I don't even know if they should at this point, the pressure cooker at Amsoil would probably ensure they never make the trip to St. Paul again.

Hats off to EGF on an incredibly played game, they answered the bell when Hermantown scored those two late and didn't let the momentum overcome them in OT.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Bills never won a title, Hawks have. And Marv Levy had better hair than Plante.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm

rainier wrote:Bills never won a title, Hawks have.
More of a reference to consecutive losses but the Bills actually did win a title back in the AFL days.
rainier wrote:And Marv Levy had better hair than Plante.
This is undeniable.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:56 pm

rainier wrote:Bills never won a title, Hawks have. And Marv Levy had better hair than Plante.
Plante has better teeth.

TTpuckster

Re: Hawks are the Buffalo Bills of high school hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:11 pm

thestickler07 wrote:6 runner-ups in a row, done in absolutely soul crushing fashion this time.

I'm not big on "emotional hangovers" and mental blocks but I don't know how else to describe what's going on with this team. Everytime they are on the big stage they freeze.

A lot of people have been clamoring for the Hawks to move up but I don't even know if they should at this point, the pressure cooker at Amsoil would probably ensure they never make the trip to St. Paul again.

Hats off to EGF on an incredibly played game, they answered the bell when Hermantown scored those two late and didn't let the momentum overcome them in OT.

I think they should move up to AA.
It might be a little easier to win..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is a Green Wave anyway?

GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Any team that goes to 6 class A Championship games in a row, should definitely move up in my opinion. I also think that this record may never be broken.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Except by themselves next year??
God I hope not. Those kids on the ice were just broken at the end. I'm cynical as hell and that was hard to watch.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Except by themselves next year??
God I hope not. Those kids on the ice were just broken at the end. I'm cynical as hell and that was hard to watch.
The thing that killed me was Plante talking about how there is no baggage year to year from this.

I just shook my head, you're not fooling anyone. An entire class of kids went through 7-12 grade on the team and finished runner up every time and no one holds on to that? Ok...

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:33 pm

I do feel for the kids, it would be a tough letdown after such an amazing comeback.

The Hawks will have the talent to make another run next year, and I predict they will get it done.

The curse will be broken!

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Name other teams that have lost 6 championship games or series in a row. I can't think of anyone.At least not in any of the 4 major sports leagues. Certainly not in NCAA basketball or football. As a Hermantown fan and alum this is beyond frusturation. This team keeps getting to the big game or at least the tournament and something or someone always messes it up(bad calls, whistles negating game winning goals, unlucky bounces off skates etc.)Just like watching the Vikings in the NFC Championship (missing game clinching field goals and throwing last minute interceptions) or the Cubs. Don't forget about England in the World Cup getting knocked out on pks (For anyone in England who may be reading this board by some chance!!.) Hermantown fans might show up with paper bags over their heads if this team is in the championship next year.Some franchises and programs are truly cursed

silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:32 am

hermantown2000 wrote:Name other teams that have lost 6 championship games or series in a row. I can't think of anyone.At least not in any of the 4 major sports leagues. Certainly not in NCAA basketball or football. As a Hermantown fan and alum this is beyond frusturation. This team keeps getting to the big game or at least the tournament and something or someone always messes it up(bad calls, whistles negating game winning goals, unlucky bounces off skates etc.)Just like watching the Vikings in the NFC Championship (missing game clinching field goals and throwing last minute interceptions) or the Cubs. Don't forget about England in the World Cup getting knocked out on pks (For anyone in England who may be reading this board by some chance!!.) Hermantown fans might show up with paper bags over their heads if this team is in the championship next year.Some franchises and programs are truly cursed
Or other teams out playing you [/b]

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Just a guess here, but I'm pretty sure most A schools in the state would gladly suffer Hermantown's woe. I know mine would.

pondhockeywizard

Post by pondhockeywizard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Its a curse, its fate, its bad luck, ever since they beat Duluth Marshall to win state they have been cursed. the only way to break the curse is for the kids to transfer to Marshall and win the AA title.

Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Post by Mitch Hawker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 am

pondhockeywizard wrote:Its a curse, its fate, its bad luck, ever since they beat Duluth Marshall to win state they have been cursed. the only way to break the curse is for the kids to transfer to Marshall and win the AA title.
That game was Duluth Marshall's second of their three straight runner-up finishes at state. Three consecutive runner-up finishes was a record at the time.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am

Yes it was but the Hermantown boys sure put their nose to the grindstone and went for it!!! Both teams suffered at the expensive of breck and st Thomas academy. These two dominated in every way for like a six or seven year span.