7A 2015-2016 Prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier

Post by rainier »

PuckRanger wrote:
howardst wrote:Westerholm was not mentioned as he struggled to say the least early in the year and is today making the biggest impact in 7a
"To say the least"? :shock:
I disagree with that entirely... not even a hint of reality in that statement.

Westerholm has not struggled at any point this season. He did not start against Cloquet and did not play in a couple of other games. He faced a combined 80 shots in the 3-3 and 2-2 ties Virginia had against I Falls and Eveleth early in the season. He did all he could to keep Virginia in their game against Grand Rapids (it was 3-2 well into the 3rd period before the flood gates opened... for the only time they have on him all year despite being put under constant heavy stress). He has faced more than 37 shots in 8 of the 14 games he has started. Against teams like Rapids, Brainerd, and Eagan, a very high percentage of those were high quality shots.

In fact, his "worst" game was a 27 save performance against Greenway early in the season where he faced 31 shots. In 10 of his 14 starts his save percentage was .927 or better (and the 4 games that were lower have been spread out throughout the schedule against Greenway in the aforementioned game, and the 3 AA teams I also already mentioned).

The reality is that the young team around him has gotten a little better, thus garnering the attention he is getting (and deserves) because they are able to score a few goals and lessen the pressure to some degree. As a result, instead of a game going in the direction of a 4-1 loss, it ends up 3-2 and those games that were ties are now two goal wins. Westerholm has been very consistent and VERY good through ALL of it from day 1.

As for the no-goal in the Greenway/Virginia game, it was originally called a goal and signaled as a goal by the referee nearest to the play. The referee and linesman came skating in immediately to discuss the play. They eventually ruled it went in off of his hand (not thrown in or kicked in). I was standing behind the glass on that end of the ice and saw it pretty clearly. #7 from Virginia tried to swat the puck out of the air with his stick and it appeared that he missed it and hit his glove and ricocheted over the Greenway goalie into the net. He did not catch it and throw it in the net. The replays shown at the arena were poor and you could not see the puck at any point until it was in the net, therefor the fans could not see a reason for the change in call and were upset as you would expect. Even some of the people standing by me thought he hit it with his stick. The call, however, was correct. Even the player knew it, he did not even attempt to celebrate until his teammates mobbed him (that you can see on the replay).
MCTV showed the replay a couple of times and it was hard to see the puck at all. The tv guy couldn't tell either and someone told him it was kicked in.. Did Larson even argue the call? It didn't appear on the broadcast that he did. Good to see the refs got it right.

There was a funny sequence involving the refs. Greenway had a 2 on 1 and the Raider with the puck and the ref collided near the boards, spoiling the rush. Clafton was apopletic, and understandably so. On the replay it looked like the ref turned with his knees bent at the last moment, and had he stayed flat against the boards the collision might have been avoided.

On this same sequence, Greenway had good pressure and a Virginia player finally got the puck and iced it, except it hit a different ref near center ice! So Virginia was able to clear the puck without getting an icing. Now that is some hometown reffing. :D :D

Westerholm is fantastic, but Seitz is also keeping that team afloat. Kid is a sniper. You have to be so careful when he's on the forecheck, because he'll turn even the smallest mistake into a quality scoring chance in a hurry.

That was a fun game to watch. Greenway pouring 55 shots on goal was insane.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
rainier

Post by rainier »

Team name [overall record (7A record)]

1. Hermantown [16-2-1 (4-0)] The Hawks crushed Proctor, hammered WBL, and then scored a totally convincing victory over top-5 A team Mahtomedi. They will travel to Virginia on Tuesday and then host Cloquet on Thursday, and there is no reason to think they won’t continue to roll. Only a loss to Hibbing in the season finale could possibly cost Hermantown the #1 seed.

2. Hibbing [17-1 (4-0)] The Bluejackets had a great week, as they took down Denfeld 3-1, routed Warroad 6-0, and then used some late game heroics to beat TRF 3-2 in an absolute barnburner. This week all but wrapped up at least #2 for Hibbing (assuming they hold serve vs the lower tier 7A teams), and they will have a chance for another high quality win when they travel to Apollo on Friday. Before that, they will host Proctor and I-Falls, two games in which Hibbing will be heavy favorites.

The Greenway game on Feb 2nd is a big one, but Hibbing’s overall resume thus far is superior enough where even a loss to the Raiders may not cost the Bluejackets the #2 seed. (Unless Greenway destroys Hibbing.)

3. Greenway [18-3 (9-3)] The Raiders took care of business this week as they swept the three 7A opponents they faced, but it was a little tougher than most probably would have expected. They smothered Virginia for most of the game, but Westerholm the Wall and Seitz the Sniper made it a contest, as Greenway needed OT to get the win. The North Shore game was also puzzling, as after two it was tied 2-2 and the shots were about even, but the Raiders turned it on in the 3rd to win 5-2. And although they beat I-Falls 7-2, the Hub shows I-Falls had a 41-32 advantage in shots, which, if accurate, is shocking.

At this point, Greenway’s only chance to move up is their game at Hibbing, and given that Hibbing beat Denfeld and TRF, combined with the Raiders’ less-than-dominating week, I think it would take a convincing win vs Hibbing for Greenway to grab the #2 seed. But we’ll have to wait to see that match-up. Strangely, they don’t play another game until Feb 2nd, so during their 11-day layoff they can prepare like mad for Hibbing, or they may get rusty, which is what I’m hoping will happen. :)

4. Denfeld [9-11-1 (4-2)] The Hunters did not have a good week. The 3-1 losses to Hibbing and TRF are certainly respectable, but the 6-3 loss to Warroad is not. Yes, they have played a tougher schedule than Greenway, but the overall record is just not good enough, even with the early season win over the Raiders. Denfeld would have to run the table, which would include beating Duluth Marshall and Grand Rapids, a very tall task, in order to get back to #3. Denfeld has only one game this week as they host North Shore, and a loss may potentially drop them below #4.

5. VMIB [7-9-2 (2-4-2)] The Blue Devils gave Greenway a run for their money, but they fell in OT. They followed that by dispatching Eveleth at home. Despite some early season struggles, Virginia has recent one goal games vs the #’s 2 and 3 seeds in 7A, so that puts them at #5. Unfortunately, they have a tough schedule the rest of the way that could make it difficult to hold on to this spot. Hermantown, Cathedral, Apollo, Hibbing, North Shore, and St. Paul Johnson all loom as games that the Devils will need to find some success in in order to stay at #5 and avoid Greenway or Hibbing in the 7A quarters. (Although the recent results suggest Virginia can hang with them both.)

This week they have three home games, which is usually a good thing, but the games are vs Hermantown, Cathedral, and Apollo. Westerholm will probably have to buy new goalie pads after this week, as he will see a ton of shots. But, Virginia has been getting close to pulling a big upset, so perhaps this is the week it happens.

6. I-Falls [9-9-1 (4-6-1)] The Broncos beat Ely and then lost by five to Greenway, although they did put on a shooting clinic. (If the Hub is correct.) They will be road warriors this week, as they get a chance to prove their win over North Shore was no fluke, and then also go to Hibbing before then heading to Kittson.

7. North Shore [13-4 (4-3)] The Storm hung tough with Greenway for two periods before succumbing to the Green Machine, and this week they get two more 7A foes to tangle with. North Shore is a team that still has a big opportunity to move up. With game vs I-Falls and Denfeld this week, along with a Virginia matchup the week after, it would be hard to keep them from #4 should they win all three. (Along with winning their not-as-tough games.) If they can build off the effort they showed in the Greenway game, they may just be able to do it.

8. Proctor [10-9 (3-4)] The Rails fell to Hermantown and St Louis Park last week, and they will have a tough game at Hibbing Tuesday before taking on Eveleth later in the week. They still have several games remaining vs teams above them, so if they find a groove they might move up, but they have been scuffling lately.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [5-15-1 (2-8-1)] The Bears fell to North Shore and Virginia last week, and they face Proctor, Hibbing, and Denfeld this week.

10. Ely –It was sad to hear Ely may not be able to field a team soon. Although they have not been a factor in 7A, they do have a schedule that allows them to play some competitive games, which is nice. Although the hockey tradition is not near to what is in Greenway, we have seen tremendous turnarounds before, so never say never.

7A Game of the Week: North Shore at Denfeld-With apologies to the Hermantown-Virginia game, this game is the biggest in 7A this week because it has the potential to really swing some seeds. Denfeld is at #4 but needs to start winning again if they want to hold on to it, while North Shore has a huge opportunity to vault all the way up to #4 with a big three-win week. I’d love to see the Storm pull it out, but I’ll take Denfeld 4-3.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier wrote:Team name [overall record (7A record)]

1. Hermantown [16-2-1 (4-0)] The Hawks crushed Proctor, hammered WBL, and then scored a totally convincing victory over top-5 A team Mahtomedi. They will travel to Virginia on Tuesday and then host Cloquet on Thursday, and there is no reason to think they won’t continue to roll. Only a loss to Hibbing in the season finale could possibly cost Hermantown the #1 seed.

2. Hibbing [17-1 (4-0)] The Bluejackets had a great week, as they took down Denfeld 3-1, routed Warroad 6-0, and then used some late game heroics to beat TRF 3-2 in an absolute barnburner. This week all but wrapped up at least #2 for Hibbing (assuming they hold serve vs the lower tier 7A teams), and they will have a chance for another high quality win when they travel to Apollo on Friday. Before that, they will host Proctor and I-Falls, two games in which Hibbing will be heavy favorites.

The Greenway game on Feb 2nd is a big one, but Hibbing’s overall resume thus far is superior enough where even a loss to the Raiders may not cost the Bluejackets the #2 seed. (Unless Greenway destroys Hibbing.)

3. Greenway [18-3 (9-3)] The Raiders took care of business this week as they swept the three 7A opponents they faced, but it was a little tougher than most probably would have expected. They smothered Virginia for most of the game, but Westerholm the Wall and Seitz the Sniper made it a contest, as Greenway needed OT to get the win. The North Shore game was also puzzling, as after two it was tied 2-2 and the shots were about even, but the Raiders turned it on in the 3rd to win 5-2. And although they beat I-Falls 7-2, the Hub shows I-Falls had a 41-32 advantage in shots, which, if accurate, is shocking.

At this point, Greenway’s only chance to move up is their game at Hibbing, and given that Hibbing beat Denfeld and TRF, combined with the Raiders’ less-than-dominating week, I think it would take a convincing win vs Hibbing for Greenway to grab the #2 seed. But we’ll have to wait to see that match-up. Strangely, they don’t play another game until Feb 2nd, so during their 11-day layoff they can prepare like mad for Hibbing, or they may get rusty, which is what I’m hoping will happen. :)

4. Denfeld [9-11-1 (4-2)] The Hunters did not have a good week. The 3-1 losses to Hibbing and TRF are certainly respectable, but the 6-3 loss to Warroad is not. Yes, they have played a tougher schedule than Greenway, but the overall record is just not good enough, even with the early season win over the Raiders. Denfeld would have to run the table, which would include beating Duluth Marshall and Grand Rapids, a very tall task, in order to get back to #3. Denfeld has only one game this week as they host North Shore, and a loss may potentially drop them below #4.

5. VMIB [7-9-2 (2-4-2)] The Blue Devils gave Greenway a run for their money, but they fell in OT. They followed that by dispatching Eveleth at home. Despite some early season struggles, Virginia has recent one goal games vs the #’s 2 and 3 seeds in 7A, so that puts them at #5. Unfortunately, they have a tough schedule the rest of the way that could make it difficult to hold on to this spot. Hermantown, Cathedral, Apollo, Hibbing, North Shore, and St. Paul Johnson all loom as games that the Devils will need to find some success in in order to stay at #5 and avoid Greenway or Hibbing in the 7A quarters. (Although the recent results suggest Virginia can hang with them both.)

This week they have three home games, which is usually a good thing, but the games are vs Hermantown, Cathedral, and Apollo. Westerholm will probably have to buy new goalie pads after this week, as he will see a ton of shots. But, Virginia has been getting close to pulling a big upset, so perhaps this is the week it happens.

6. I-Falls [9-9-1 (4-6-1)] The Broncos beat Ely and then lost by five to Greenway, although they did put on a shooting clinic. (If the Hub is correct.) They will be road warriors this week, as they get a chance to prove their win over North Shore was no fluke, and then also go to Hibbing before then heading to Kittson.

7. North Shore [13-4 (4-3)] The Storm hung tough with Greenway for two periods before succumbing to the Green Machine, and this week they get two more 7A foes to tangle with. North Shore is a team that still has a big opportunity to move up. With game vs I-Falls and Denfeld this week, along with a Virginia matchup the week after, it would be hard to keep them from #4 should they win all three. (Along with winning their not-as-tough games.) If they can build off the effort they showed in the Greenway game, they may just be able to do it.

8. Proctor [10-9 (3-4)] The Rails fell to Hermantown and St Louis Park last week, and they will have a tough game at Hibbing Tuesday before taking on Eveleth later in the week. They still have several games remaining vs teams above them, so if they find a groove they might move up, but they have been scuffling lately.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [5-15-1 (2-8-1)] The Bears fell to North Shore and Virginia last week, and they face Proctor, Hibbing, and Denfeld this week.

10. Ely –It was sad to hear Ely may not be able to field a team soon. Although they have not been a factor in 7A, they do have a schedule that allows them to play some competitive games, which is nice. Although the hockey tradition is not near to what is in Greenway, we have seen tremendous turnarounds before, so never say never.

7A Game of the Week: North Shore at Denfeld-With apologies to the Hermantown-Virginia game, this game is the biggest in 7A this week because it has the potential to really swing some seeds. Denfeld is at #4 but needs to start winning again if they want to hold on to it, while North Shore has a huge opportunity to vault all the way up to #4 with a big three-win week. I’d love to see the Storm pull it out, but I’ll take Denfeld 4-3.
Nice Job Rainier!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Is Hermantown AA this year?
howardst

Post by howardst »

Rainier I agree with most other than the weight of the greenway game. A green win added to a hib loss to Virginia and a loss to hermantown that is not a 1-2 goal game could spell a swap in seedlings. Especially when you look at when in the season the losses come and by what margins.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Jeffy95 wrote:

Is Hermantown AA this year?
No, but if they were, they would be the clear cut #1 seed in 7AA. They've beaten the three 7AA teams they've faced by a combined score of 17-5, and all three of those teams have beaten East this year. :shock:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

QRF
No. 1 Hermantown (110.7) 5-0-0 18-2-1 5.0 1.9 Won 5
No. 3 Hibbing/Chisholm (105.8 ) 6-0-0 19-1-0 5.2 1.5 Won 5
No. 8 Greenway/Nash-Kee (80.0) 9-3-0 18-3-0 5.7 1.7 Won 4
No. 10 North Shore (77.7) 5-4-0 14-5-0 4.5 2.7 Lost 1
No. 28 Duluth Denfeld (58.9) 5-2-0 10-11-1 2.5 2.8 Won 1
No. 30 Proctor (57.3) 2-6-0 10-9-0 3.7 4.5 Lost 2
No. 43 Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl (48.6) 2-5-2 7-10-2 3.3 3.3 Lost 1
No. 48 International Falls (45.3) 4-8-1 9-11-1 3.2 3.7 Lost 3
No. 65 Eveleth-Gilbert (33.4) 2-8-1 5-15-1 3.4 5.3 Lost 6
No. 75 Ely/Northeast Range

PAGESTAT
9 HERMANTOWN 7A 16 2 1 0.868 96 37 21.24
20 HIBBING 7A 17 1 0 0.944 88 27 20.07
31 GREENWAY 7A 18 3 0 0.857 119 35 18.90
66 DULUTH DENFELD 7A 9 11 1 0.452 50 58 16.49
70 VIRGINIA 7A 7 9 2 0.444 61 59 16.34
92 NORTH SHORE 7A 13 4 0 0.765 80 46 14.99
98 INTERNATIONAL FALLS 7A 9 9 1 0.500 67 68 14.47
110 PROCTOR 7A 10 9 0 0.526 70 84 13.01
114 EVELETH GILBERT 7A
Ely

Ranier
1. Hermantown
2. Hibbing
3. Greenway
4. Denfeld
5. VMIB
6. I-Falls
7. North Shore
8. Proctor
9. Eveleth-Gilbert
10. Ely

I think Ranier is pretty close but may have to move North Shore up and IFalls down.

While the Greenway-Hibbing rematch will be fun, I don't think a Greenway win would be enough to move them up.

The only game I see that may have an impact is the North Shore - Virginia game.

So I have it:
1. Hermantown
2. Hibbing
3. Greenway
4. Denfeld
5. VMIB
6. North Shore
7. I-Falls
8. Proctor
9. Eveleth-Gilbert
10. Ely
howardst

Post by howardst »

About the only way Hibbing drops out of 2 is a greenway loss followed by a loss to hermantown by a margin of say more than 3. Coaches always use how your doing at the end with more weight than early and that could be a way that greenway could move ahead of Hibbing.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:About the only way Hibbing drops out of 2 is a greenway loss followed by a loss to hermantown by a margin of say more than 3. Coaches always use how your doing at the end with more weight than early and that could be a way that greenway could move ahead of Hibbing.
Hibbing will not lose to Greenway.
Hibbing could lose to Hermantown by 4.
rainier

Post by rainier »

1. Hermantown [18-2-1 (5-0)] The Hawks keep on keeping on, as they beat Cloquet and Virginia by identical 4-1 scores this past week. This week, they play two more AA teams in Farmington and Brainerd, thus their status in 7A should not change this week. The only way they don’t get the #1 seed is if Hibbing beats them the last game of the season.

2. Hibbing [19-2 (6-0)] The Bluejackets did what they were supposed to do last week by handling Falls and Proctor, and then lost a tough game at #3 Apollo on Friday. This week they have two more 7A matchups as they host Greenway Tuesday and then travel to Eveleth.
Obviously, the Greenway game is huge, as a win for Hibbing will lock up at least the #2 seed, while a loss could open the door for Greenway to grab the #2.

3. Greenway [18-3 (9-3)] The Raiders had the week off and now they head into a tough week, as they go to Hibbing and then host a decent S.P. Johnson team. If Greenway can avenge their earlier 4-2 loss to Hibbing, they will give themselves a chance at the #2 seed. Even if they do lose to Hibbing, it is doubtful they would fall to #4.

4. Denfeld [10-11-1 (5-2)] The Hunters picked up a solid win over North Shore this week, thereby eliminating any chance of them falling below #4. This week they once again only play one game as they take on Eveleth. For Denfeld to move up past #4, they need Hibbing to beat Greenway and then the Hunters need to pull an upset against either Duluth Marshall or Grand Rapids. A win against either of those teams would give Denfeld two wins that are better than anything Greenway has. (Denfeld has a win over Cloquet.)

5. VMIB [7-12-2 (2-5-2)] The Blue Devils just finished probably the toughest week of Class A opponents anyone has had this season, as they lost to Hermantown, Cathedral, and Apollo. They showed once again that they can hang around vs top teams as they played a respectable 4-1 game vs Hermantown and then lost to Apollo 3-2, although their 5-0 lost to Cathedral shows that they can just as easily be trounced by a good opponent.

This week will be big as Virginia can lock up the #5 seed by beating Proctor and North Shore. Even if the Blue Devils beat Hibbing in the last week of the season, I don’t see them leapfrogging Denfeld; the section record just won’t be good enough.

6. North Shore [14-5 (5-4)] The Storm avenged their earlier loss to I-Falls this week and they move up to #6. They played Denfeld reasonably tough in a 5-3 loss, and this week they have a huge chance to move up to #5 with a win over Virginia. A loss may not drop them any, but it would make their game vs Proctor in the last week of the season more meaningful.

7. I-Falls [10-11-1 (4-8-1)] The Broncos tumble back a spot as they lost to North Shore 2-0 and Hibbing 7-0 this week. (They did pick up a win vs Kittson.) The Broncos only play one game each of the last two weeks of the season and it appears they will only play 24 games total this year. They have no 7A games left this season.

8. Eveleth-Gilbert [6-15-1 (3-8-1)] The Bears got a nice 6-3 win over Proctor to move themselves up a spot and put them in position to be the home team in a play-in game. All three of their remaining games are vs 7A team, and they would have to upset Denfeld and/or Hibbing if they want to move up, as their other game is against Ely.

9. Proctor [10-11 (2-7)] The Rails fell to Hibbing first this week, and then lost to Eveleth 6-3 to drop them back to #9. The Rails do have games vs Virginia and North Shore left this season, and they must win them both if they want to move up at all.

10. Ely –Hopefully they can keep the program going there.

7A Game of the Week: Greenway at Hibbing- These two teams played a fantastic game earlier in the season and Tuesday’s matchup should be no different. Greenway will be coming off a ten day break, so we will see if they are rested or rusted. Hibbing is coming off a tough loss to Apollo, and will be looking to make a statement at home. The #2 seed may very well be on the line in this game, and it should be a packed house at the Memorial Building, given that there are no other Iron Range games that night. I’ll take Hibbing to win, 4-2.
rainier

Post by rainier »

1. Hermantown [19-2-1 (5-0)] The Hawks had their game vs Farmington cancelled, and then they squeaked by Brainerd 2-1 in a game that was much closer than most expected. They will start the week off by crushing Superior, but then they will host Hibbing in a game that will decide the #1 seed in 7A. As far as seeding goes, Hermantown basically heads into this game with a one-goal lead, as even if Hibbing tied them they would still get the #1 seed based on a better overall resume.

2. Hibbing [21-2 (8-0)] The Bluejackets ensured themselves of at least the #2 seed as they beat Greenway again by two and took care of business versus Eveleth. This week, they start off by hosting a Virginia team that has put a scare into several top ten A teams, including Hibbing earlier this year. Clearly Hibbing can’t take them lightly and it should be a good test to see if the Bluejackets can bring the intensity early and put away an inferior team.

On Thursday, Hibbing will visit the best team they have seen all season when they travel to Hermantown with the 7A #1 seed on the line. Can they pull off the upset?

3. Greenway [20-4 (9-4)] The Raiders lost at Hibbing, but then beat St. Paul Johnson and River Lakes to hit the 20 win mark for the season; quite an accomplishment for a program that was a whisper away from folding completely not too long ago. This week, they will pick up their 21st win as they will pound Northern Lakes.

Unless Denfeld upsets one or both of the AA opponents they play this week, the Raiders should be the #3 seed.

4. Denfeld [11-11-1 (6-2)] The Hunters won their only game of the week as they took down Eveleth on Hockey Day MN. This week they take on Duluth Marshall and Grand Rapids, and while their chances of winning either of those games aren’t great, a win vs Marshall would be the more likely of the two games, and should this happen, Denfeld may have an argument for the #3 seed over Greenway. Assuming section games carry more weight, here’s how the two teams stack up in 7A games.

Denfeld:
Losses-Hermantown 5-1, Hibbing 3-1
Wins-Greenway 4-3 (OT), Virginia 4-1, I-Falls 4-2, Proctor 4-0, North Shore 5-3, Eveleth 5-2
Other notable wins-Cloquet
Argument for Denfeld at #3- They beat Greenway, have two wins that are better than any win Greenway has (Cloquet and Greenway), and have played a harder schedule (61 on PageStat vs 88 for Greenway), better 7A record if you take out the second conference games Greenway played (Denfeld 6-2, Greenway 5-3).

Greenway:
Losses- Hermantown 2-1, Hibbing 4-2 and 3-1, Denfeld (4-3 OT)
Wins- Virginia 4-1 and 4-3 (OT), Proctor 11-0, Eveleth 8-1 and 7-2, I-Falls 10-1 and 7-2, North Shore 6-0 and 5-2
Other notable wins-none
Argument for Greenway at #3-Common wins vs 7A have been more convincing, 21 total wins, played Hermantown much tougher, loss to Denfeld was in OT very early in the season, Greenway has been ranked in or near top ten in A for a while now.

Looking at this, I think a Denfeld win over Marshall would be enough to give the Hunters the #3 seed. Do the coaches in 7A want to reward Greenway for having such a soft schedule? Will coaches be voting purely in their own best interests, or will they be seeding teams where they actually think they belong?

If they voted today using the seedings I have, here’s how I think each team would vote for the #3 and the reasons why-
1. Hermantown-Greenway (Raiders gave Hawks all they could handle, while Hunters did not.)
2. Hibbing-Denfeld (Likely doesn’t want to have to try to beat a quality team for a third time.)
3. Greenway-Greenway (Would rather face Hibbing than Hermantown in semis.)
4. Denfeld-Denfeld (Same reason as Greenway.)
5. Virginia-Greenway (Would rather play Denfeld in QF game.)
6. North Shore-Denfeld (Would rather play Denfeld in QF game.)
7. I-Falls-Greenway (IRC loyalty? But, Greenway did run up the score in both games, so perhaps they want to stick it to the Raiders.)
8. Proctor- Denfeld (LSC loyalty, plus Greenway also ran score up on them too.)
9. Eveleth- Greenway (IRC loyalty? But, Greenway did run up the score in both games, so perhaps they want to stick it to the Raiders.)
10. Ely- Greenway (IRC loyalty.)

Should be interesting to see how the seeding meeting unfolds.

5. VMIB [9-13-2 (3-6-2)] The Blue Devils started the week off strong with a 5-2 win over North Shore, and finished the week with a 5-2 win over a decent SP Johnson team, but sandwiched in there was a 3-2 loss to Proctor. With the North Shore win, Virginia likely clinches the #5, as even a win over Hibbing this week would not be enough to move them up to #4. (Although a Proctor win over North Shore this week might get the Rails past the Devils.)

6. North Shore [17-6 (6-5)] The Storm’s chances at moving up evaporated with their recent losses to Virginia and Denfeld, but they continued to beat weak teams and their superior record and more recent win vs I-Falls keeps them at #6. The Proctor win over Virginia makes the Storm’s game vs the Rails this week much more interesting, as a loss will likely drop them into the bottom four and force them to play a play-in game, with either Hibbing or Hermantown as their likely QF foe. North Shore played respectable games vs both Greenway and Denfeld recently, so if they can get the job done vs Proctor this week they will set themselves up for a QF rematch vs one of those teams, and I imagine they would go in feeling pretty good about their chances.

7. I-Falls [10-12-1 (4-8-1)] The Broncos have not been doing anything special lately, but they stay ahead of Proctor via their win over them earlier in the season. However, a Proctor win over North Shore would likely drop the Falls down to 8, setting up a rubber match with Eveleth in the play-in game.

8. Proctor [11-11 (3-7)] The Rails scored a big win over Virginia this week, and with games vs North Shore and Cloquet this week, they have a chance to climb all the way up to #5. A win over the Storm would give the Rails very recent victories over the #5 and #6 teams, which may be enough to for the voters to forget about their recent loss to Eveleth. If the Rails find a way to beat Cloquet also, then I think #5 is theirs for sure.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [6-17-1 (3-10-1)] The Bears’ win vs Proctor ten days ago is their lone bright spot in a big stretch of 7A games, thus they stay at #9. With only a game with Ely remaining, Eveleth will be playing at the #8 seed in a 7A play-in game.

10. Ely –The Wolves picked up two wins over Bag-Foss, but will lose to Eveleth this week before having a chance to take down Moose Lake. Pulling an upset in a play-in game will be a tall order.

7A Game of the Week: Hibbing at Hermantown- If you’re a Hibbing fan or even a 7A fan you’ve probably had this game circled on your calendar since mid-November. For all of the talk of Hibbing being an improved team, this is where they must show it against the #1 team in Class A. The Bluejackets have shown that even top teams such as Apollo or Grand Rapids will have a tough time scoring more than 3 goals against them, but finding offense against these top squads has been Hibbing’s Achilles’ heel.

Scoring against Hermantown won’t be any easier, as their defense and goaltending have been excellent all year. And stopping the Hawks’ potent offense will also be a tall task given they can run two superb lines out on the ice for most of the game.

However, Hermantown has shown some vulnerability recently, as Greenway and Brainerd-two teams Hibbing has beaten-both played the Hawks to 2-1 nail-biters. This should give the Bluejackets confidence that they can play with them heading into the game. Even so, it is hard to pick against the Hawks when no one else in Class A has been able to beat them, especially when they play in Hermantown.

I’d love to see the upset, but I’ll go 4-2 Hawks.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

1. Hermantown [19-2-1 (5-0)
2. Hibbing [21-2 (8-0)]
3. Duluth Denfeld
4. Greenway
5. Virginia
6. North Shore unless Proctor beats them then Proctor
7. Intl Falls unless Proctor jumps
8. Proctor unless they win
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

Just another view of it.
Not sure Hibbing gets 1 with a win at Htown unless it's decisive. Which I don't think,will happen.
Difficult to discern between DD and Gway so I gave it to DD because of their win.

5-8 pretty even - can't see Virginia losing the 5 spot nor IF above 7.

But as Ranier pointed out, coaches vote and what might they be thinking??

Thanks Ranier for doing this all year.
rainier

Post by rainier »

elliott70 wrote:1. Hermantown [19-2-1 (5-0)
2. Hibbing [21-2 (8-0)]
3. Duluth Denfeld
4. Greenway
5. Virginia
6. North Shore unless Proctor beats them then Proctor
7. Intl Falls unless Proctor jumps
8. Proctor unless they win
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

Just another view of it.
Not sure Hibbing gets 1 with a win at Htown unless it's decisive. Which I don't think,will happen.
Difficult to discern between DD and Gway so I gave it to DD because of their win.

5-8 pretty even - can't see Virginia losing the 5 spot nor IF above 7.

But as Ranier pointed out, coaches vote and what might they be thinking??

Thanks Ranier for doing this all year.
No problem, I like doing it and I'm glad 7A had some strong teams again this year; it makes it that much more interesting.

I do disagree about Hibbing and Hermantown. If Hibbing were to win, I 100% think they would get the #1 seed, even though Hermantown would still have the overall better resume. Not only would Hibbing have earned the #1 seed, but I imagine there are quite a few coaches in 7A who also don't appreciate Hermantown's refusal to opt up, and thus would love the chance to drop them a spot.

I'm just hoping that between Westerholm, Alander, Ullan, and LaDoux, some excellent 7A goalie makes that extra save or two that finally takes down the Hawks in the section playoffs.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Kudos to PuckRanger for directing traffic back to the REAL 7A thread. :)

My seeding thoughts haven't really changed:

1. Winner of tonight's Hib/Herm game
2. Loser of Hib/Herm game
3. Greenway
4. Denfeld
5. Virginia
6. North Shore
7. I-Falls
8. Proctor
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

As in my last rankings post, I think there is an argument to be made for Denfeld at #3 as they beat Greenway, have a better section record, and have two signature wins while Greenway has none.

Personally, I think Denfeld should be rewarded for playing Rapids, East, TRF, Cathedral, Jefferson, Cloquet, Blake, Eagan, Warroad, etc., even if they lost almost all of those games. If Denfeld had Greenway's schedule, I'd bet they'd have the same record, or very close to it.

I do think Greenway is the better team right now, but I'd hate to see a team get rewarded for playing a cream puff schedule.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Here are the 7A seeds as posted by Karl on the official section seeds thread:

7A

1. Hermantown
2. Hibbing
3. Duluth Denfeld
4. Greenway
5. North Shore
6. Virginia
7. Proctor
8. International Falls
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

It isn't completely surprising Denfeld got the #3, for the reasons I outlined earlier, but I am surprised North Shore got the nod ahead of Virginia, given Virginia just beat them 5-2 very recently.

Here's my predictions:
Play in
Proctor over Ely 7-1
Falls over Eveleth 4-2

Quarters
Hermantown over Falls 8-0
Hibbing over Proctor 6-2
Greenway over North Shore 5-3
Virginia over Denfeld 3-2

Semifinals
Hermantown over Greenway 5-2
Hibbing over Virginia 4-2

Final
Hibbing over Hermantown 4-3 8)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

7A:
1. Hermantown
2. Hibbing
3. Duluth Denfeld
4. Greenway
5. North Shore
6. Virginia
7. Proctor
8. International Falls
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

Denfeld at 3 is a total joke! Final might have been 'green machine' and Hermantown for all the marbles. Match up deserving of a second shot.
Whataboutely

Post by Whataboutely »

I'm surprised as well that North Shore was ahead of Virginia as well as Proctor being ahead of I falls. have to believe that the Proctor win over Virginia recently caused all of this yet I still don't agree.

No argument with me on your play in predictions but I don't see Virginia taking down Denfeld. Virginia is playing with a reduced roster and will simply wear out in the 3rd period. Also, no one in 7A is taking down Hermantown as last night showed their to big and too fast and playing with a lot of confidence

Cant wait until Hermantown leaves 7A
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

There will be a large crowd cheering against Hermantown at Amsoil next Saturday. All the AA fans and the rest of 7A will hopefully make it feel like a hostile away game for the Hawks.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Ranier, where did you dump howardst body?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Whataboutely wrote:I'm surprised as well that North Shore was ahead of Virginia as well as Proctor being ahead of I falls. have to believe that the Proctor win over Virginia recently caused all of this yet I still don't agree.

No argument with me on your play in predictions but I don't see Virginia taking down Denfeld. Virginia is playing with a reduced roster and will simply wear out in the 3rd period. Also, no one in 7A is taking down Hermantown as last night showed their to big and too fast and playing with a lot of confidence

Cant wait until Hermantown leaves 7A
Hermantown wil lbe in 7AA soon enough. In the mean time they are playing good hockey and will be very tough to dethrone in 7A.
Whataboutely

Post by Whataboutely »

Hermantown left after the 2007-2008 season and came back to 7A for the 2013-2014 season. So do they go away again in a couple of years
rainier

Post by rainier »

elliott70 wrote:Ranier, where did you dump howardst body?
I fed him to my pigs. :)

Actually, I think he may have been reincarnated under another name on this forum. I can't tell for sure, but perhaps he learned his lesson about pretending to be a fan of another team and he is now posting as a fan of the team he really roots for.

Sucks that Greenway lost a defenseman. They did give Hermantown the best game of the 7A teams, by far.
rainier

Post by rainier »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:7A:
1. Hermantown
2. Hibbing
3. Duluth Denfeld
4. Greenway
5. North Shore
6. Virginia
7. Proctor
8. International Falls
9. Eveleth
10. Ely

Denfeld at 3 is a total joke! Final might have been 'green machine' and Hermantown for all the marbles. Match up deserving of a second shot.
Denfeld beat Greenway, had a better section record, and had two signature wins that were better than anything Greenway had.

All Greenway had was a gaudy record vs a super weak schedule and a tight game vs Hermantown.

As I said, I think Greenway is the better team right now (depending on which defenseman it was they lost), but I can see why the coaches gave the nod to Denfeld.

Or if you are a conspiracy theorist: Perhaps the 7A coaches are so annoyed by Hermantown's sandbagging that they conspired to set up the seeds so that Hermantown would have to face the two teams with the best chance of pulling the upset, Greenway and Hibbing.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

rainier wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Ranier, where did you dump howardst body?
I fed him to my pigs. :)

Actually, I think he may have been reincarnated under another name on this forum. I can't tell for sure, but perhaps he learned his lesson about pretending to be a fan of another team and he is now posting as a fan of the team he really roots for.

Sucks that Greenway lost a defenseman. They did give Hermantown the best game of the 7A teams, SO far.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

"Actually, I think he may have been reincarnated under another name on this forum. I can't tell for sure, but perhaps he learned his lesson about pretending to be a fan of another team and he is now posting as a fan of the team he really roots for."

FOUND HIM.