USA Hockey Nationals: High School division

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

USA Hockey Nationals: High School division

Post by O-townClown » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Edina won the Junior Gold A tournament in the 7th overtime. Minnesota is sending a representative to USA Hockey Nationals where they will compete in the "Pure" division.

It will give a sense of how high school hockey compares to JGA.

Obviously Varsity hockey in Minnesota is a whole 'nother level.
Be kind. Rewind.

57special

Post by 57special » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:26 pm

How does a JGA Champ compare to MSHSL teams? I'm guessing they could hang in the top 20?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am

Is this national tourney only open to junior gold teams in Minnesota, or could a team like Lakeville North or Edina play in it?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:35 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Is this national tourney only open to junior gold teams in Minnesota, or could a team like Lakeville North or Edina play in it?
Just a guess on my part, but I would think that a team in this would have to be registered with "USA Hockey" and I'm guessing the MSHSL wouldn't allow that.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Yes, these are registered USA Hockey teams. Different from MSHSL Varsity.

(USA Hockey would love it if the State of Hockey switched over and let them oversee its HS level. Won't happen.

Credit USA Hockey. They've seen tremendous growth of ACHA and HS hockey under their watch.)
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 pm

P.S. Lakeville North and Edina would be quite bored in St. Louis this weekend. The level of play is several rungs down.
Be kind. Rewind.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:32 pm

It will be interesting to see how it goes for the JGA team from Edina. Half the team played JV, one kid got into the Varsity line up 2 or 3 games as a Junior and one played Varsity for AHA.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:01 am

I'm going to predict they win their pool. In the finals the only team that gives them a game is Regis Jesuit out of Colorado. Christian Brothers College HS and Saint Louis University HS out of Missouri are decent programs I've heard of before too. I could be totally wrong and the competition level is higher than that. Looking at the Combined Division (which is supposed to be lower) there are some teams out of the midwest I recognize (Dubuque, Omaha, Kansas City, Rushmore out of South Dakota) that I would say are probably the level of play of a decent A school. I'll be interested in following this tournament.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:42 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:I'm going to predict they win their pool. In the finals the only team that gives them a game is Regis Jesuit out of Colorado. Christian Brothers College HS and Saint Louis University HS out of Missouri are decent programs I've heard of before too. I could be totally wrong and the competition level is higher than that. Looking at the Combined Division (which is supposed to be lower) there are some teams out of the midwest I recognize (Dubuque, Omaha, Kansas City, Rushmore out of South Dakota) that I would say are probably the level of play of a decent A school. I'll be interested in following this tournament.
I haven't seen any of these teams, but the hs hockey in Alaska is not very good. I think the state champion up here West Anchorage would get beat by 10 goals if they played any of the top 20 teams from MN.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 am

green4 wrote:It will be interesting to see how it goes for the JGA team from Edina. Half the team played JV, one kid got into the Varsity line up 2 or 3 games as a Junior and one played Varsity for AHA.
I'll be routing for them

/throws up in mouth a little
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Edina won their first game 4-1 against a team from Illinois while taking 10 penalties

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 pm

green4 wrote:It will be interesting to see how it goes for the JGA team from Edina. Half the team played JV, one kid got into the Varsity line up 2 or 3 games as a Junior and one played Varsity for AHA.
Am I correct in that you are saying they did those things prior to this season?
Be kind. Rewind.

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Am I correct in that you are saying they did those things prior to this season?
Yeah, they did this in previous years as sophomores and juniors.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 am

I see the two Missouri teams I commented on earlier brought the lumber winning their games 14-1 and 9-1. All the other games on the day were within 3 goals and at least look like respectable game scores.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:25 am

Talk about chasing trophies. Edina doesn't win the state tourney. Then they don't win bantam or pee wee. The town is in shambles. But there is hope. Let's send our junior golds to some tourney no one cares about and bring home another trophy to place in our "empty" case! Edina is so full if themselves they need to ensure a championship somewhere to keep their " place" as champions!! Hilarious!!!!
Don't see East or other prominent teams doing this.
Hermantown the runner ups six years in a row don't even feel the need to!!! At least Hermantown will wait for trophies that matter instead of fabricating a championship trophy to place in their case!!!

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Talk about chasing trophies. Edina doesn't win the state tourney. Then they don't win bantam or pee wee. The town is in shambles. But there is hope. Let's send our junior golds to some tourney no one cares about and bring home another trophy to place in our "empty" case! Edina is so full if themselves they need to ensure a championship somewhere to keep their " place" as champions!! Hilarious!!!!
Hermantown the runner ups six years in a row don't even feel the need to!!! At least Hermantown will wait for trophies that matter instead of fabricating a championship trophy to place in their case!!!
How about you go back and create more meaningless topics!!

I am assuming they attend this tournament every year after they win JR Gold tournament. These are apparently the "rejects" that didnt make varsity, this is their season! Hell they could beat a lot of HS teams.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Talk about chasing trophies. Edina doesn't win the state tourney. Then they don't win bantam or pee wee. The town is in shambles. But there is hope. Let's send our junior golds to some tourney no one cares about and bring home another trophy to place in our "empty" case! Edina is so full if themselves they need to ensure a championship somewhere to keep their " place" as champions!! Hilarious!!!!
Seriously, you don't have a clue as evidenced by this post.

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:32 am

This is for the Junior Gold A team, not Varsity. They did win the State JGA Championship, the prize besides being champion is that you get a chance to play at nationals.
The reason East or Hermantown does not do this is that they don't have Junior gold hockey. I believe there is just one team for the whole Duluth area for Junior Gold. If they would have won state however, they would be at nationals.
You should research or read the previous posts in detail before making blind accusations.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:34 am

green4 wrote:
This is for the Junior Gold A team, not Varsity. They did win the State JGA Championship, the prize besides being champion is that you get a chance to play at nationals.
The reason East or Hermantown does not do this is that they don't have Junior gold hockey. I believe there is just one team for the whole Duluth area for Junior Gold. If they would have won state however, they would be at nationals.
You should research or read the previous posts in detail before making blind accusations.
This is the internet green4 ... your world of fact-checking and logic have no place here.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 am

At least the beloved Edina teams have their trophy! Will they hang that trophy in braemer? I imagine they should. Keep chasing those trophy's HORNETS! Just remember 90% if the excel cheering for duluth east with 5 seconds left when east sealed the W vs the most arrogant, hated, team in the state!

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:At least the beloved Edina teams have their trophy! Will they hang that trophy in braemer? I imagine they should. Keep chasing those trophy's HORNETS! Just remember 90% if the excel cheering for duluth east with 5 seconds left when east sealed the W vs the most arrogant, hated, team in the state!
Maybe you should make a topic about it? :oops:

I am sure they will put it by the rest of the JGA trophies they have accumulated!

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:At least the beloved Edina teams have their trophy! Will they hang that trophy in braemer? I imagine they should. Keep chasing those trophy's HORNETS! Just remember 90% if the excel cheering for duluth east with 5 seconds left when east sealed the W vs the most arrogant, hated, team in the state!
Just when you think.... nah he can't post anything more inane... bang
Hang trophies? What a great concept.
GMHF you have got to be nominated for something on the Bored Team. Wow This is a schtick right? Brilliant!

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:08 pm

The thing I am looking forward to most at next years state tourney! At the lower level of the excel they have the state champions for all levels of hockey. There won't be any Edina hornet pictures. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Oh I forgot they won their JR gold A championship against the other wha ten cities that actual have this team level, BE PROUD Edina faithful. I better get my spot reserved on the street for the parade down Edina mainstreet and the speech by the king, er, I mean Giles. Does any one have the parade route handy so I can plan to get there.
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:14 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:The thing I am looking forward to most at next years state tourney! At the lower level of the excel they have the state champions for all levels of hockey. There won't be any Edina hornet pictures. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Oh I forgot they won their JV gold A championship against the other wha ten cities that actual have this team level, BE PROUD Edina faithful. I better get my spot reserved on the street for the parade down Edina mainstreet and the speech by the king, er, I mean Giles. Does any one have the parade route handy so I can plan to get there.
You are on a roll. JV and Jr Gold are two different things, lets get that straight first.

Hey don't be mad you did not make the Jr Gold team back in the 1960s :lol:

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Don't forget the other Edina teams. This is your top fifteen right Edina fans!!!!

1 Edina 2015
2. Edina 2014
3. Edina 2013
4. Edina 2012
5 Edina 2011
6. Edina 2010
7. Edina. 2008
8. Edina. 2009
9. Edina. 2007
10. Edina. 2006
11. Edina 2005
12. Edina 2004
13. Edina. Jr gold a 2015
14. Edina 2003
15. Edina 2002
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.