Reality vs Fantasy

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Reality vs Fantasy

Post by zambonidriver »

It is really interesting to take part in this message board. Usually the same topics keep getting recycled under different headings. That last one was the stat.e of girls hockey. I offered up an idea about how to attract more numbers to girls hockey and a pretty good discussion ensued. Is my idea the best probably not but at least I offered up a possible solution to encourage growth of the game on the girls side. Immediately people started ripping the deficiencies well at least I had an idea. Let's understand a couple of things.
1. Year round triple A will be here within the next 10 years maybe sooner.
2. Associations better change the way they do business or they will go the way of the DoDo.
3. For you people who say there won't be enough ice for triple A. whether it be city or county the people who schedule ice don't care who buys it as long as the get full price.
4. People will travel and pay premium dollars to be a part of premier Triple A programs. Look at the Bauer Emerson roster and they have screwed up more than most programs.
The problem with we Minnesotans is we don't like change our system has worked for decades and we don't need to change. Our model is a good one but like any model it has to stay modern. Instead of fighting change embrace change and discuss ways to improve and keep Minnesota hockey the best program in the country. Instead of tearing down ideas add to them or come up with one that is better.
that is all.
Snap Happy

Re: Reality vs Fantasy

Post by Snap Happy »

Try not to be offended Zam when people poke holes in your ideas, they're not always trying to tear it down. As for me, I'm not trying to tell you your idea sucks. I just threw out a thought I had, considering the situation we're in, in our area.

I like your thought really. I just don't like the thought of competing with AAA teams to get ice when our association (Rosemount) really struggled with it the last few years -- and it will be worse next year because the city won't support a 2nd sheet and private options are not materializing AND our programs are growing.
zambonidriver wrote:It is really interesting to take part in this message board. Usually the same topics keep getting recycled under different headings. That last one was the stat.e of girls hockey. I offered up an idea about how to attract more numbers to girls hockey and a pretty good discussion ensued. Is my idea the best probably not but at least I offered up a possible solution to encourage growth of the game on the girls side. Immediately people started ripping the deficiencies well at least I had an idea. Let's understand a couple of things.
1. Year round triple A will be here within the next 10 years maybe sooner.
2. Associations better change the way they do business or they will go the way of the DoDo.
3. For you people who say there won't be enough ice for triple A. whether it be city or county the people who schedule ice don't care who buys it as long as the get full price.
4. People will travel and pay premium dollars to be a part of premier Triple A programs. Look at the Bauer Emerson roster and they have screwed up more than most programs.
The problem with we Minnesotans is we don't like change our system has worked for decades and we don't need to change. Our model is a good one but like any model it has to stay modern. Instead of fighting change embrace change and discuss ways to improve and keep Minnesota hockey the best program in the country. Instead of tearing down ideas add to them or come up with one that is better.
that is all.
BluehawkHockey

Re: Reality vs Fantasy

Post by BluehawkHockey »

I think your idea could work. I'm just trying to point out the things that need to be overcome in order for something like it to work.

Of course there will be some ice available. Early morning and late night hours are almost always available. Those winter hours are also about 40% higher priced than the off season hours that AAA programs get now. The prime hours are all taken so those hours won't free up until AAA starts to grow. So it could take a long time to get to access to those prime hours.

I think your idea could work with girls hockey. On the boys side, I think it is less likely. The associations focus on those boys already so there is less of an upside for them to switch to AAA teams on a year around basis. Of course some of the elite boys would make the switch, but many of those boys still want to play other sports which would be more difficult on a year round AAA team.