Oh, wait...

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InigoMontoya

Oh, wait...

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

It sure is lucky Tyus' parents had enough foresight to transfer him to a private school to help his development. Oh, wait...
Rather than letting him languish at a wrestling school, at least they sublet an apartment at in the Hopkins school district, so he'd get noticed. Oh, wait...
Being that Minnesota isn't a basketball hotbed, they billeted him with a family in Indiana or Kentucky to prove he could play at the college level. Oh, wait...
They had him boarding at the US Olympic team development program. Oh, wait...

Sats81

Re: Oh, wait...

Post by Sats81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:30 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:It sure is lucky Tyus' parents had enough foresight to transfer him to a private school to help his development. Oh, wait...
Rather than letting him languish at a wrestling school, at least they sublet an apartment at in the Hopkins school district, so he'd get noticed. Oh, wait...
Being that Minnesota isn't a basketball hotbed, they billeted him with a family in Indiana or Kentucky to prove he could play at the college level. Oh, wait...
What does this have to do with hockey? Is basketball even a sport?

nahc

Post by nahc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Plus Tyus played his basketball at Apple Valley Highschool....... don't know where you are going with this........

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Sats81 wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:It sure is lucky Tyus' parents had enough foresight to transfer him to a private school to help his development. Oh, wait...
It has nothing to do with hockey. But yes, basketball is a sport. A very popular one at that. Are you so narrow minded that you can't take pride in the fact that MN produced the Final Four MOP? Good for This Jones and his family.

Nahc, that is what he is saying. His parents didn't feel the need to have him play at a private school or open enroll him at Hopkins or have him live with a billet family and he still turned out all right. I don't think its a very good comparison but I believe that was his point.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Congrats to the kid. If you are good enough, scouts/colleges will find you-especially in hockey.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:54 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
It has nothing to do with hockey. But yes, basketball is a sport. A very popular one at that. Are you so narrow minded that you can't take pride in the fact that MN produced the Final Four MOP? Good for This Jones and his family.

Nahc, that is what he is saying. His parents didn't feel the need to have him play at a private school or open enroll him at Hopkins or have him live with a billet family and he still turned out all right. I don't think its a very good comparison but I believe that was his point.
I realized that. Honestly, no. I don't take pride in the fact that MN produced the final 4 MVP in basketball. What I do take pride in is that I didn't watch 1 "march madness" game.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Shame the kid didn't play hockey.

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

I realized that. Honestly, no. I don't take pride in the fact that MN produced the final 4 MVP in basketball. What I do take pride in is that I didn't watch 1 "march madness" game.
are you always this bitter and negative? If so your life must suck. But then again from everything I have seen you post on this site makes you seem to be a very bitter person unless everyone agrees with you. If they don't agree with you they are wrong. Your opinion is just that an opinion and means nothing.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Sats, might want to look at expanding your horizons a little bit, there is a big world out there.

nahc

Post by nahc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Warriors44: Thanks for the interpreting of the comments!!!!!!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

are you always this bitter and negative? If so your life must suck. But then again from everything I have seen you post on this site makes you seem to be a very bitter person unless everyone agrees with you. If they don't agree with you they are wrong. Your opinion is just that an opinion and means nothing.
Relax!! Just could care less about basketball. So I am negative and bitter because I don't take "pride" that a MN kid won the final 4 MVP in basketball?!?!?

I am sure there are many on here who feel the same way. If they don't, I really don't care!!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:03 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Sats, might want to look at expanding your horizons a little bit, there is a big world out there.
Thanks buddy!

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

That's a shame, you really missed out on a great tournament.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm

rainier wrote:Congrats to the kid. If you are good enough, scouts/colleges will find you-especially in hockey.
Not that great an analogy...

Yes, the kid played high school ball in AV in front of scouts and college head coaches as an eighth-grader. But by that point he already was a seasoned veteran of highly-scouted national summer camps/programs. Story is that he met his buddy Okafur (who lived in Chicago) while they were playing in the AAU nationals in Orlando as third graders.

Probably better to compare Tyus with a D-1 hockey recruit who plays high school hockey for Hopkins...but only after eight solid years of year-round Machine hockey.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Nice trolling......

Congrats to the kid!! (obviously)

This is a great story about one kids journey. What about the thousands of other kids who were not born with his skill? This kid could have taken ANY path and ended up where he is now. Almost all of the other kids who want to play at the highest level have to find another way.

ps...you're a dope

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 am

oldschoolpuckster wrote:
Nice trolling......

Congrats to the kid!! (obviously)

This is a great story about one kids journey. What about the thousands of other kids who were not born with his skill? This kid could have taken ANY path and ended up where he is now. Almost all of the other kids who want to play at the highest level have to find another way.

ps...you're a dope

I don't look at it as trolling, more like priming the pump.

I have no idea how many rookies land on NBA rosters each year, but I would guess (again, with no idea of actual numbers) a majority take a very similar path - thousands of other kids don't play at the highest level.

ps...I'm not arguing that I'm not a dope, but of everything I've ever written, I'm not sure how this post was the one that spurred you to make that comment.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:38 am

This kid could have taken ANY path and ended up where he is now.
And by the way, I completely agree with you. I think your observation hits that on the head with the majority of rookies that land on NHL rosters, as well.

Sanford

Post by Sanford » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:41 am

Mite-dad wrote:Shame the kid didn't play hockey.

:roll:

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:30 pm

almostashappy wrote:
rainier wrote:Congrats to the kid. If you are good enough, scouts/colleges will find you-especially in hockey.

Yes, the kid played high school ball in AV in front of scouts and college head coaches as an eighth-grader. But by that point he already was a seasoned veteran of highly-scouted national summer camps/programs. Story is that he met his buddy Okafur (who lived in Chicago) while they were playing in the AAU nationals in Orlando as third graders.

Probably better to compare Tyus with a D-1 hockey recruit who plays high school hockey for Hopkins...but only after eight solid years of year-round Machine hockey.
You couldn't be more right. People often forget the AAU part and the year round part in basketball. No he didn't move away from home but basketball allows those opportunities without having to move away. Plus it can literally be played year round in a multitude of venues in doors and out. The op's point misses the mark big time

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:35 pm

JSR wrote:
almostashappy wrote:

You couldn't be more right. People often forget the AAU part and the year round part in basketball. No he didn't move away from home but basketball allows those opportunities without having to move away. Plus it can literally be played year round in a multitude of venues in doors and out. The op's point misses the mark big time
Hockey can be played year round; hockey allows those opportunities without having to move away; hockey can literally be played year round; etc. It seems that what you meant to say was, the op's point is right on mark.

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:45 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
JSR wrote:
almostashappy wrote:

Hockey can be played year round; hockey allows those opportunities without having to move away; hockey can literally be played year round; etc. It seems that what you meant to say was, the op's point is right on mark.
You missed my point. Yes hockey can be played year round IF you have the money and resources. Basketball can be played year round, 365 days of the year by anyone, anytime with basically zero money, I guess the price of a basketball but that's it, you absolutely cannot say the same about hockey.... and no I mean what I said, you missed the mark completely when you ignored what he did in AAU basketball and ignored this other fact.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 pm

with basically zero money,
what he did in AAU basketball
I'm guessing taking your 3rd grader to Orlando isn't free, so I'm not sure what point you're making. I'm going to stick with the op's point is good; you seem a little all-over-the-road.

JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I actually thought the original post was kind of funny with subtle humor embedded meant to rile up the masses with some analogies that while loose in nature, are kind of directional...sort of.

With that in mind I say mission accomplished. Well done Iggy. 8)
"I find tinsel distracting"

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
with basically zero money,
what he did in AAU basketball
I'm guessing taking your 3rd grader to Orlando isn't free, so I'm not sure what point you're making. I'm going to stick with the op's point is good; you seem a little all-over-the-road.
I should have probably said basketball can be practiced year round with zero money anywhere anytime. And played to some degree in reference to be able to hone skills, I'd go further and say there are a lot more qualified basketball instructors in this country in every city than there are qualified hockey instructors.

As for the AAU thing, that was a note in regards to the fact that this kid didn't get recruited based on what he did in high school in MN, it's what he did on the AAU circuit playing all over the country is what got him recruited.

Which is to say, it's a much different sport than hockey and you cannot compare the two in any way. Hence why I think the op is way off base in the insinuations he is making