Youth Hockey Hub biased

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Youth Hockey Hub biased

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 am

Ever notice how youth hockey hub only offers token coverage of girls youth hockey? The Wiz Wyatt awards came out 4 categories for boys none for girls.
Same problem with associations girls are an after thought.

jg2112

Re: Youth Hockey Hub biased

Post by jg2112 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 am

zambonidriver wrote:Ever notice how youth hockey hub only offers token coverage of girls youth hockey? The Wiz Wyatt awards came out 4 categories for boys none for girls.
Same problem with associations girls are an after thought.
I don't think I'd call it bias. I think it's reality. YHH is providing content that its readers want. Heck, look at this forum, there are only 5-6 posters regularly showing up to talk about youth girls.

Fact is, the girls' youth game is diluted by co-ops, by lack of interest by associations (as if money from girls' parents cashes any differently), and the fact many top girls play with the boys.

I know you and I both are intensely interested in girls' hockey but outside of involved families there is just not that much interest. And that's okay!

Maybe we should offer up stories to YHH for the tournaments our girls play in this summer. We could attack this issue first-hand.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 am

I too am very disappointed with the coverage girls get on YHH. It is however his business and he can run it how he wants. I disagree that there isn't the interest. There have been some great stories on the girls side this year. I think self feeding info would be is a good idea, as I think that is how he gets most of his boy's information.

YHH: If you read this, how about a little more coverage of these great girls!

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

goaliedad31 wrote:I too am very disappointed with the coverage girls get on YHH. It is however his business and he can run it how he wants. I disagree that there isn't the interest. There have been some great stories on the girls side this year. I think self feeding info would be is a good idea, as I think that is how he gets most of his boy's information.

YHH: If you read this, how about a little more coverage of these great girls![/I disagree, He used to accept ideas for stories, I submitted a couple of ideas and suggested a couple of good games to watch no reply. He is a very nice guy I commend him for his entrepreneurial spirit. Though if you are going to offer awards for boys then you should for girls. There is absolutely no 14 u coverage, sporadic 12 u coverage even less 10 u coverage. There was no coverage of girls regions and State tournaments. All the stories even on the boys side are pretty much kept to the westside ]

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 am

To me, YHH focuses upon a few great girls programs or teams (and again that's okay). At the U12 level, to me whatever coverage existed focused upon St. Paul (due to a prior U10 player of the year winner and a top-level goalie), Minnetonka, Forest Lake and Edina. All make sense, as many of those girls played in the PeeWee Challenge.

At U10 level, Andover was spotlighted (spotlit?). It makes sense, they are a rising powerhouse program attracting talent from all over at the older ages.

In regards to U14, it'll never get the attention it probably deserves because the pool is diluted. Too many girls that should be playing at this level are poached by high school coaches. As a result, there are few programs that regularly compete at this level.

I know it's easy to say when my daughter just finished U10 and is a 5th grader, but I would much rather her play U14 as an 8th grader and get those games and practices, instead of playing JV and/or riding the pine on a varsity bench. Many folks choose the opposite approach. I think cost is a serious factor - leaving aside the huge ice bills of youth hockey is an appealing prospect. But that ends up gutting U14's talent base and appeal as a reportable spectacle.

Back on point - my daughter will be at the Meltdown, at the Shootout, at the Independent, and then some August tourneys. Perhaps it'll be worth submitting articles about those tourneys to YHH and see what happens.