Chicago Showcase

capt mudshark

Chicago Showcase

Post by capt mudshark » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:44 am

Minnesota opened up with a 7-2 victory over Missouri.Dave Watters had 2 goals and 2 assists.Jake Obrmeyer and Sean Fish each added 3 points and Jeff Budish,Tony Selvog and Matt Stendahl had the other goals.Minnesota had 3 power play goals and one short handed score.<br> In game two the boys edged out California 8-6.Stendahl had a hat trick and Obermeyer 3 assists.Other goal scorers were Brandon Vossberg,Jesse Vesel,Garrett Raboin,Mike Lundin and Watters.Despite 30 penalties in the game,there were no power play goals.Dan Tomassoni and Troy Davenport split the time in the nets both games.Minnesota takes on Michigan tonite in their final game of pool play.Michigan lost 5-4 to Califprnia and tied Missouri 1-1. <p></p><i></i>

capt mudshark

Re: Chicago Showcase

Post by capt mudshark » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:14 pm

Minnesota defeated Michigan 3-0 in their final game of pool play behind a goal and an assist from both Tony Selvog and Dustin Mercado.Josh Frider had the other goal.Minnesota takes on Colorado in quarterfinal action today. <p></p><i></i>

onedogtoomany

Chicago Showcase

Post by onedogtoomany » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:38 am

Capt Mudshark: Thanks for the reports on the Chicago Showcase. It sounds like the boys are playing very well so far. Many people on this board thought this was gonna be a weak team. Glad to see them representing MN so well. Any scores from this weekend's action? <p></p><i></i>

trojans45

Team Minnesota Loses 3-1 To Wisconsin In Finale

Post by trojans45 » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:27 pm

Just a quick note that Team Minnesota lost 3-1 on an empty netter to Team Wisconsin Red. Sounds like the MN boys played well throughout the week. Congrat's on a great tournament Team MN. Thanks for all the memories this past year. <p></p><i></i>

petey1321

Re: Team Minnesota Loses 3-1 To Wisconsin In Finale

Post by petey1321 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:49 am

Good work fellas. You guys represented the state of hockey well. <br><br>I just hope Wisconsin doesn't get too uppity. After all, a lot of our guys are still playing, because they're already in the USHL. <p></p><i></i>

Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Post by Mitch Hawker » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:32 am

Team Minnesota was fun to watch when they had it going. They put on an exhibition against Colorado in the quarterfinals and in the first period against California.<br><br>Wisconsin did a good job of limiting second chance opportunities and their goaltender (from Hudson) played very well.<br><br>Does anyone here have a list of the players that played high school hockey THIS YEAR that have played/are playing in the USHL this spring?<br><br>In the past, there have been a dozen or so players with D1 commitments who could not play in Chicago and I am wondering if it is about the same number that are now playing after the high school season in the USHL (now that college teams seem to be passing on taking any players straight from high school hockey).<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub33.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUser ... wker>Mitch Hawker</A> at: 4/21/03 11:09:10 am<br></i>

joe lulic

Post by joe lulic » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:52 am

It is a credit to the Minnesota player that a team that many felt was not as strong as it could be did so well. I am sure we could do better but I really get tired of the constant birage of how we arent developing players and we should do this and that and how Minnesota is behind everybody else. Maybe the NCAA championship and successes like this will cause some to chill out for a short time anyway. <p></p><i></i>

tarpaper

Post by tarpaper » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:14 pm

Player                      High School        USHL Team<br>Ben Gordon                 International Falls           Lincoln<br>Brent Borgen               Mahtomedi                    Lincoln<br>Jim Kilpatrick          Academy Of Holy Angels  Green Bay<br>Tony Parrish        Brainerd        Tri City<br>Ryan Hawkins              Eden Prairie                   Sioux City<br>Brad Peterson              Bloomington Jefferson      Green Bay<br>Kevin Huck                  Academy Of Holy Angels   Sioux Falls<br>David Marshall        Buffalo        Chicago<br>Tim Hartung        Eastview        Tri City<br>Scott Thauwald        Rochester Mayo        Sioux Falls<br>Garrett Regan        Hill Murray        Waterloo<br>Alex Goligoski        Grand Rapids        River City<br>Corey Carlson        Greenway        River City<br>Andrew Guyer        Greenway        Lincoln<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub33.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUser ... arpaper</A> at: 4/21/03 1:17:55 pm<br></i>

capt mudshark

Post by capt mudshark » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:54 pm

Six first place finishes and one second in the last seven Chicago Showcase events is not too bad a performance for the boys from Minnesota. <p></p><i></i>

Bishnati

stats

Post by Bishnati » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:12 pm

The stats for the Chicago Showcase can be found at www.offserv.com/showcase <p></p><i></i>

DoRight101

Team Minnesota

Post by DoRight101 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:50 pm

Did Kaufmann and Budish make the trip? They're not listed in the stats. <p></p><i></i>

freighttrain

Troy

Post by freighttrain » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:37 pm

read in the paper the other day that Troy Davenport was named MVP of the tourney. <p></p><i></i>

Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Re: Troy

Post by Mitch Hawker » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:08 am

Yes, Kaufman and Budish were there. Click on the team name in the scores page to get all the stats for the team.<br><br>Kaufman took a game misconduct and missed one game (semifinals?).<br><br>Davenport was named MVP. Awards were given on Saturday and he played well, but it still seemed a strange choice to me.<br><br>Interesting Factoids:<br><br>Minnesota had averaged almost 9 goals scored in the prior six championship games with an average margin of victory of 6 goals. Closest of those six was an 8-6 victory over Michigan in 2001.<br> <p></p><i></i>

hubbaa

Post by hubbaa » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:37 pm

it is good to see wisconsin producing more good hockey players. <p></p><i></i>

petey1321

Post by petey1321 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:30 pm

Several of the Minnesota games were closer than in year's past. I don't think you have to look much farther than the fact that literally an entire team's worth of kids went directly to play in the USHL after the season. I know that things like that have happened in the past, but never can I recall it happening on such a large scale. Plus, other than those 14 guys listed above, you've still got guys like Dey, Garrity, Anderson, Van Bockel, Becker, etc. who have commitments already, so they couldn't go either. Furthermore, there were about 30 some guys playing in various junior leagues during the season who would have been eligible to play as well (like Howe, Hartman, Fallon, Zacharias, Beaverson, Madsen, Pohl, etc). <br><br>Having literally some 50 guys at the top end of the talent pool who were not eligible to play did not help the team in any way whatsoever, I'm sure. The fact that the talent pool in the state is so good that the boys STILL got to the championship game in pretty convincing fashion says a lot about the state of HS hockey in general. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Post by JLS 81 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:00 pm

Great post Petey1321. Nice to see the positive comments regarding Minnesota kids. Ditto on the talent in this state, the land of 10,000 is still producing very good players. <p></p><i></i>