Big Changes for sections as of today (4/29)

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LZ94

Big Changes for sections as of today (4/29)

Post by LZ94 »

MSHSL readjusted the sections (Again).

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/SectionAssig ... tivity=460

There are now 63 AA teams and 56 A teams.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Maple Grove on the move again and Tonka, EP and Edina in 2AA. Wow.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

April Fool's day was 4 weeks ago.

If true, great news for the 6AA survivors and for H-M.

Wonder who, I mean what, drove the geniuses at MSHSL to make it even worse.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Moving one of the 6AA teams to 2AA makes sense. 6AA is no longer overloaded, 2AA is no longer a two horse race, and traditional geographic rivalries are maintained.

I like it.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

sinbin wrote:April Fool's day was 4 weeks ago.

If true, great news for the 6AA survivors and for H-M.

Wonder who, I mean what, drove the geniuses at MSHSL to make it even worse.
I'd have been willing to keep Irondale or Woodbury in 4AA over CDH. HM fans are used to sacrifice though, so whatever is best for the sport...
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

When New Prague and Marshall were pulled back to class A a domino effect took place on the westside AA sections and the western/sw A sections.

Also if you recall, the mshs league claimed that all placements were determined by one(1) individual using an" as the crow flies" mentality, without regard to competition...LOL

I do like the western AA secs better.

Orono and Mound-Westonka are happy as is Owatonna..

Moundsview and Cretin in 4AA are potentially stronger opponents in the future than any of the other eastside AA schools(Eastridge,Woodbury, etc) to play with H-M
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

luckyEPDad wrote:Moving one of the 6AA teams to 2AA makes sense. 6AA is no longer overloaded, 2AA is no longer a two horse race, and traditional geographic rivalries are maintained.

I like it.
You like it because #26 graduated. I hardly think you would have "liked it" had Tonka been in your section the last 5 years.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

36Guy wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:Moving one of the 6AA teams to 2AA makes sense. 6AA is no longer overloaded, 2AA is no longer a two horse race, and traditional geographic rivalries are maintained.

I like it.
You like it because #26 graduated. I hardly think you would have "liked it" had Tonka been in your section the last 5 years.
I'd have welcomed Minnetonka with open arms. It would have been (and will be) a great rivalry. The results matter little, it is the struggle that counts. The girls grow up thinking of Edina and Minnetonka (and Wayzata) as rivals. In highschool they are our conference rivals, and some of the most hotly contested games each season. Why not have them as section rivals too? I feel sorry for teams like Roseau that have a relatively easy path to state each year.

Winning the Lake conference meant a lot to the girls last year, not because of the banner or the trophy or the title. I think a lot of the girls weren't even aware what a conference title was or even what conference Eden Prairie is in. The conference title meant a lot because they had to beat Minnetonka, Edina, Hopkins and Wayzata to do it. Its all about who you play, not where you play.

Of the last three years I liked this year the best. The prior two seasons ended with a meaningless third place game at an empty arena. The girls phoned it in and didn't appear too upset when they lost. This year the final game was full of passion and everyone played every minute like it was their last. You could clearly see the love of the game and the love of the team and it was hard not to think that hockey is the greatest game in the world. I was terribly, terribly sad when the game was over, but I felt, I don't know, alive? Really alive.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

luckyEPDad wrote: I was terribly, terribly sad when the game was over, but I felt, I don't know, alive? Really alive.
That's how I felt about the last game for my squad this year...

My daughter played in a 3rd place game her senior year (and also lost), but I don't think she'd trade it for the world. Going downtown with her friends, all the things to do and see. Getting to say Hi Mom on tv. Better than beating BSM to win their conference...

And looks like the MSHSL listened to me and put CDH back in 6AA. How odd. I'm guessing either they are having a glitch or this isn't done changing. So we can stay tuned...
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Winning the Lake conference meant a lot to the girls last year, not because of the banner or the trophy or the title. I think a lot of the girls weren't even aware what a conference title was or even what conference Eden Prairie is in. The conference title meant a lot because they had to beat Minnetonka, Edina, Hopkins and Wayzata to do it. Its all about who you play, not where you play.

Huh?? Did EP have a banquet? Or have you been out of town for 6 months? EP did not gain satisfaction by beating Tonka, Wayzata, Edina and Hopkins for the Lake Conference title...why? Because Tonka won the Lake Conference. Kind of weird one of your best moments is winning a imaginary title.

Oh, and your glad your season ended the way it did? Were your coach and kids? Sounds like you really strive for excellence over there. By the way, being in the 3rd place game, winning or losing, is an amazing year and any kid should be proud.

And last...the game of hockey, the will to compete, the will to get better and a locker room full of friends and teammates is what the game is about. Not how many people are in the flippen stands!
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

luckyEPDad wrote:
36Guy wrote:

I like it.
I'd have welcomed Minnetonka with open arms. It would have been (and will be) a great rivalry. The results matter little, it is the struggle that counts. The girls grow up thinking of Edina and Minnetonka (and Wayzata) as rivals. In highschool they are our conference rivals, and some of the most hotly contested games each season. Why not have them as section rivals too? I feel sorry for teams like Roseau that have a relatively easy path to state each year.

Of the last three years I liked this year the best. The prior two seasons ended with a meaningless third place game at an empty arena. The girls phoned it in and didn't appear too upset when they lost. This year the final game was full of passion and everyone played every minute like it was their last. You could clearly see the love of the game and the love of the team and it was hard not to think that hockey is the greatest game in the world. I was terribly, terribly sad when the game was over, but I felt, I don't know, alive? Really alive.
Huh?? Did EP have a banquet? Or have you been out of town for 6 months? EP did not gain satisfaction by beating Tonka, Wayzata, Edina and Hopkins for the Lake Conference title...why? Because Tonka won the Lake Conference. Kind of weird one of your best moments is winning a imaginary title.

Oh, and your glad your season ended the way it did? Were your coach and kids? Sounds like you really strive for excellence over there. By the way, being in the 3rd place game, winning or losing, is an amazing year and any kid or parent should be proud.

And last...the game of hockey, the will to compete, the will to get better and a locker room full of friends and teammates is what the game is about. Not how many people are in the flippen stands!
NotMuchToSay

Post by NotMuchToSay »

All I can say is WOW...
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

36Guy wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:
36Guy wrote: You like it because #26 graduated. I hardly think you would have "liked it" had Tonka been in your section the last 5 years.

Oh, and your glad your season ended the way it did? Were your coach and kids? Sounds like you really strive for excellence over there. By the way, being in the 3rd place game, winning or losing, is an amazing year and any kid or parent should be proud.

I read last year to me Last year in which EP won conference, and it was this year 2015 that Tonka won the conference, but maybe I'm the dumb one.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2AA section final this year, and I think what EPdad is referring to is the atmosphere in the building. I think it might have been the most electric atmosphere for a girls hockey game that I have ever witnessed in many years of being around the sport. The game was great and it was a shame one team had to lose, but I imagine it will be a memory good/or bad those kids will keep with them forever.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

allhoc11 wrote:I read last year to me Last year in which EP won conference, and it was this year 2015 that Tonka won the conference, but maybe I'm the dumb one.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2AA section final this year, and I think what EPdad is referring to is the atmosphere in the building. I think it might have been the most electric atmosphere for a girls hockey game that I have ever witnessed in many years of being around the sport. The game was great and it was a shame one team had to lose, but I imagine it will be a memory good/or bad those kids will keep with them forever.
I'm still thinking of the 2014/2015 season as this year. I guess I'm not ready to let go yet. EP won the conference last year, 2013/2014. They should have won it this year, but Edina wouldn't give up. Kudos to them.(to 36guy, no that doesn't mean that I think Edina won the Lake conference last year. If they hadn't come back from a two goal deficit in the final two minutes of the final regular season game against EP it would be EP hosting another conference banner, not Minnetonka).

The building was electric, but the power came from the players. I was near the EP bench most of the game and the players hardly ever sat. Every good play was met with screaming and hugging, every setback answered with unwavering support. We see it at every hockey game, but on that day the knob got turned to 11.
Last edited by luckyEPDad on Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

allhoc11 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote: I'd have welcomed Minnetonka with open arms. It would have been (and will be) a great rivalry. The results matter little, it is the struggle that counts. The girls grow up thinking of Edina and Minnetonka (and Wayzata) as rivals. In highschool they are our conference rivals, and some of the most hotly contested games each season. Why not have them as section rivals too? I feel sorry for teams like Roseau that have a relatively easy path to state each year.

I read last year to me Last year in which EP won conference, and it was this year 2015 that Tonka won the conference, but maybe I'm the dumb one.

Allhoc, I agree with you and EPdad as far as great atmosphere. The memories are great because of whats at stake and almost everyone is emotionally invested. As was the Tonka/Wayzata overtime thriller, Buffalo coming from behind from two goals to stun Roseau and HM and CDH all tied with minutes to go...etc, etc.

I have now seen the light though, after careful thought. I hope they add Hill Murray and Maple Grove to our section as well. And even better...my club loses a heartbreaker so I know what it is like to feel "alive"..PEACE!
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Sparlimb wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote: I was terribly, terribly sad when the game was over, but I felt, I don't know, alive? Really alive.
That's how I felt about the last game for my squad this year...

My daughter played in a 3rd place game her senior year (and also lost), but I don't think she'd trade it for the world. Going downtown with her friends, all the things to do and see. Getting to say Hi Mom on tv. Better than beating BSM to win their conference...

And looks like the MSHSL listened to me and put CDH back in 6AA. How odd. I'm guessing either they are having a glitch or this isn't done changing. So we can stay tuned...
CDH to 6 is really strange as is swapping Minnetonka and Edina. Neither make any sense to me. What problems do these moves solve?
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

MORE CHANGES TODAY

Looks like someone's phone at the MSHSL must have burned off the hook. Most changes that happened earlier this week have been reversed.
As of 4pm today (Friday 5/1):
Edina is shown in 6AA
Maple Grove in 5AA
Irondale in 4AA
Maple Grove in 5AA

I guess they can just spin the wheel whenever they want to "make it right".
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Most likely the MSHSL tried to balance things with good intentions then were inundated with complaints from the schools because most of the schedules are complete and they typically schedule section opponents. Wouldn't have made sense for Buffalo to play their section 8 opponents when they were moved to 6. Would have been hard to reschedule I guess. Moral of the story is do it the right way the first time.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MSHSL still struggling with equity issues, but now they're advertising their woeful inexperience. I applaud them for initially at least trying to improve a sub-optimal system, but who's now driving the asylum bus?
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I agree that it's largely a scheduling, transportation, and $$ issue. I would like to think the MSHSL doesn't play favorites when it comes to sections? Change it now for 2016 season. Clean up the perceived inequities and questionable geography considerations far enough out that ADs can project and plot their school's winning campaign sooner...! That gives everyone an extra 365 days to consult their parents, maybe their coaches, and all of us experts on the forum.