What has happened to the Caribou Cup?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Snap Happy

What has happened to the Caribou Cup?

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:05 am

This used to be the premier end of summer season tournament. Horrible game scheduling, scores and website not kept up, etc. Seems like others feel it's slipping too due to the lack of teams this year.

What happened?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 am

Price, Most expensive tournament of the summer. Not enough people working the tournament. One guy is basically in charge his partner has been distracted by other interests.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 am

zambonidriver wrote:Price, Most expensive tournament of the summer. Not enough people working the tournament. One guy is basically in charge his partner has been distracted by other interests.
Protein shakes?

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:55 am

I had to miss half a day of work on Thu and the whole day on Friday due to scheduling. I've succumb to being ok with taking Friday off for most AAA tournaments now, but to have to take an additional half day is just stupid.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:18 pm

Not sure who puts it on but everyone we know (boys and girls) played at the Summer Finale last weekend.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Price, Most expensive tournament of the summer. Not enough people working the tournament. One guy is basically in charge his partner has been distracted by other interests.
Protein shakes?
Yep

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Not sure who puts it on but everyone we know (boys and girls) played at the Summer Finale last weekend.
It's run by the Ice Cougars AAA program leadership.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Not sure who puts it on but everyone we know (boys and girls) played at the Summer Finale last weekend.
I cannot speak about the boys side, but the top teams on the girls side that were actually playing last weekend were at th Caribou?

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:26 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
I cannot speak about the boys side, but the top teams on the girls side that were actually playing last weekend were at th Caribou?
01/02 Os Selects were playing at one of their Northland Hockey Group tournaments.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:03 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
I wasn't commenting on the talent of the teams in each tourney, just on the quantity of kids at many age levels, multi-pools, both genders, etc. Huge tourney. Our team pulled out of SF because the coaches and parents didn't want to play 1-2 games vs the Sabres. Caribou was full at that point.

To me most amazing is that MN can support so many tournaments (obviously of differing levels of play) almost every weekend all spring/summer/fall. The girls game is either dramatically growing in numbers overall, or more girls and families are taking the sport year round.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:01 am

As the landscape in girls' summer hockey starts to settle in, it'd be nice to have a late summer tourney that draws in the high profile programs. The Meltdown seems to be as close to a spring gathering as any right now. There are some programs, or individual teams, that have more of a local focus, with some talented kids (maybe not the depth) that would like to compete with the programs, that on most weekends feel like they need to travel to Winnipeg or Boston or Toronto or Chicago to find competition. I think everyone would get excited about a tourney that could bring in Os, Machine, Blades, Ice Cougars, STE, MG, some northern teams like LS Stars, Northern Storm, Northern Wings, Polar Express, Polar Bears, and draw from CO, WI, IL and Canada.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:10 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:As the landscape in girls' summer hockey starts to settle in, it'd be nice to have a late summer tourney that draws in the high profile programs. The Meltdown seems to be as close to a spring gathering as any right now. There are some programs, or individual teams, that have more of a local focus, with some talented kids (maybe not the depth) that would like to compete with the programs, that on most weekends feel like they need to travel to Winnipeg or Boston or Toronto or Chicago to find competition. I think everyone would get excited about a tourney that could bring in Os, Machine, Blades, Ice Cougars, STE, MG, some northern teams like LS Stars, Northern Storm, Northern Wings, Polar Express, Polar Bears, and draw from CO, WI, IL and Canada.
We're in! Let us know when your online registration is live...!