7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goaline

Post by goaline »

old goalie85 wrote:Should be fun year. I like the Ranger netminder. Could be the the key. :wink:
Agreed, best goalie in section
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

Get your block of rooms Elks! You will be representing 7AA at State!
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

old goalie85 wrote:Should be fun year. I like the Ranger netminder. Could be the the key. :wink:
I thought last years goalie left FL. not ture?
Marty2013

Post by Marty2013 »

panpan111 wrote:Get your block of rooms Elks! You will be representing 7AA at State!

Does this have the same effect as Saying "SHUT OUT!" in the last minutes of the game. :D
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Rocketwrister wrote:
I thought last years goalie left FL. not ture?
I haven't heard that and I think I would have by now.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Hockey hub has FL losing to the Elks last year in sections 7-1, on the heels of Duluth beating the Elks. According to the records, FL goalie had a save percentage of .811. Any insight what happened Goaline? Did she "tank" the team, or possibly did other factors come into play? Curious of your opinion...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I was at game. [daughter on team Not goalie] Many factors. Had big saves elks went to the net well. They will be team to beat.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Hard water fan wrote:Hockey hub has FL losing to the Elks last year in sections 7-1, on the heels of Duluth beating the Elks. According to the records, FL goalie had a save percentage of .811. Any insight what happened Goaline? Did she "tank" the team, or possibly did other factors come into play? Curious of your opinion...
G
Calm down...rumor out there if you want single A glory you go to proctor...and that's ONLY because Hibbing is a bit too far north. Hyduke continues to out coach. Hoff , non 9 th grade transfer was a no show that game...same with home grown Mcg. Now with the top 2duluth players will that get them over hump? I'd guess as long as blue line dump ins don't get through.
northhockey

Post by northhockey »

Wow, Rocket. Pretty harsh...
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Actually, Rocket is pretty accurate in his assessment...and I am calm. My point being is that many factors go into a loss, or a win. An .811 save percentage usually isn't good enough to move on in the playoffs. A .965 save percentage and 1 gpg average usually is. Usually. I don't agree with the cherry picking comment though. Successful programs attract good players. The Mirage coach does a fantastic job, so good in fact that they have 8 players that live in the Duluth School District. Culture is his top priority, which imo is paramount to a successful season...We open enrolled in 9th. The two new Duluth players you referred to haven't played a game yet either, although they are enrolled in Hermantown. No recruiting, just two families who feel that the current situation in Duluth wouldn't be good for their daughters. That's all I'll say about that. I would also say that continuing to get out coached isn't fair either. The Mirage did the same thing to Hibbing the year before. In that game, the top Mirage forward, Fawcett, was also held to minimum damage, but the second line bucked up and won the game. Didn't happen last year obviously, but regardless if the two Duluth players are cleared or not, you can expect the Mirage to be a favorite to make it to section finals. From there, who knows. I would imagine SPU, Breck, FL, EP, OMG and a whole host of other teams are feeling the same way.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

HW
I think he just means the questionable "moves" of girls renting instead of moving so on paper they get around the MSHSL rules. But I'd like to believe the Achiever story if nothing else made the rule enforcers more proactive. I for one think if you were cheating it would be out there already. Prob by the bubble players that aren't making the cut due to those transfers. Your team won't ever get credit because it's in Proctor and we metro dwellers covet your "easier" schedule. Which is in fact not really easier except maybe a handful of gimme games that are geography based. Look at TRF. Still get no love and they won it all! Just like privates get no respect because they "recruit," and north and south get no respect because of location, and we all hate Edina because they act entitled, and no one wants to play (insert nameless AA team here) because the goals against and penalty minute totals are directly correlated. If your goalie had those stats out of Tonka or Hill, wouldn't she be more heavily scouted? Don't take it personally. When people go off on how unfair the HM model is, I try to see that for what it is. Haters! Last, someone said you were getting 2 from Duluth, 2 from Cloquet, 2 from Moose Lake, and 2 from Superior. True or not, that's probably riling up the natives too?
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

We/she never worried about recruiting. She plays for the fun of it, and had plenty of interest from both D1 and D3 before choosing a school that fit her academic goals. Spot on regarding your assessment of North/South though. Regarding the rumors, I can say concretely they are wrong, and laughable. IMO the MSHSL has brought some, or all of this on themselves by having policies that are ambiquius and purposely vague.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Am I late to the party? Hermantown is class A right? Hermantown girls are doing a great job of bringing in new girls just like the boys have done for years. Ok back to 7AA. FL will be good but Andover will be better. ER will be a little better then last year. ER needs to find a way to win a section final game in overtime. GR might suprise a few this year but won't be in it at the end. The rest of the teams are up and coming in the future I hope. ER plays EP-Edina-Dodge Co-MG twice-Blaine twice-HM (maybe in Christams tourney)-Andover twice so should be a fun year. ER does not play Moose Lake-Hibbing-Two Harbors-I Falls-or any of the other nice class A teams up that way. On another note I think Breck and Blake should be class AA. ✌️
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

wolfman wrote:Am I late to the party? Hermantown is class A right? Hermantown girls are doing a great job of bringing in new girls just like the boys have done for years. Ok back to 7AA. FL will be good but Andover will be better. ER will be a little better then last year. ER needs to find a way to win a section final game in overtime. GR might suprise a few this year but won't be in it at the end. The rest of the teams are up and coming in the future I hope. ER plays EP-Edina-Dodge Co-MG twice-Blaine twice-HM (maybe in Christams tourney)-Andover twice so should be a fun year. ER does not play Moose Lake-Hibbing-Two Harbors-I Falls-or any of the other nice class A teams up that way. On another note I think Breck and Blake should be class AA. ✌️
7AA is interesting.The top three teams are probably closer than everyone might think. ER is the easier choice,but, they lost their #1 &#5 points players from last year. Andover and FL return all of their top 5 point producers. All 3 return their goalies and I believe their top D. GR-G is probably next and could pull a surprise. All in all , this section needs improvement seeing how last year only 2 teams (ER & GR-G) posted winning records and 6 teams were at .500 or worse.

I hope your reasoning for Breck & Blake is based on their success. If that is not the case, here is a list of class A teams that are private or have a private in their co-op.
Austin
Faribault
New Ulm
Mankato East
Minnehaha
St Paul Blades
St Paul United
Totino-Grace
Holy Angels
kniven

Post by kniven »

Rocketwrister wrote:My guess at section

Andover
Elk river
Forest lake
Rapids
St Francis ?
Duluth?
CEC
Cambridge

Debatable between duluth and st Fran. Duluth stud left for single A glory in proctor...st Fran seemed to be somewhat up and coming.
So what are thoughts of the section and possible seedlings? It seems like Elk River and Flake are top seeds so far? I know CEC is playing well/competing, but we got thumped in Forest Lake last week.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

kniven wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:My guess at section

Andover
Elk river
Forest lake
Rapids
St Francis ?
Duluth?
CEC
Cambridge

Debatable between duluth and st Fran. Duluth stud left for single A glory in proctor...st Fran seemed to be somewhat up and coming.
So what are thoughts of the section and possible seedlings? It seems like Elk River and Flake are top seeds so far? I know CEC is playing well/competing, but we got thumped in Forest Lake last week.
Rapids beat Flake.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

kniven wrote:So what are thoughts of the section and possible seedlings? It seems like Elk River and Flake are top seeds so far? I know CEC is playing well/competing, but we got thumped in Forest Lake last week.
Right now the top 3 would be:

1. Elk River/Zimmerman
2. Forest Lake
3. Grand Rapids/Greenway

Nos. 4-6 are still up in the air between Andover, Duluth and C-E-C, but C-E-C will probably need to beat Cambridge-Isanti tomorrow night to be assured of at least the 6th seed. Cambridge/Isanti and St. Francis/North Branch are likely battling for the 7 & 8 seeds, and the order there will likely depend on which team wins when they play on the 30th.

But it doesn't appear that those games will matter much in terms of who will win the section. ER/Z is of course the strong favorite, with Flake having a decent shot as well. I would also give GR/G a chance to win it, but not a very good one. We'll see how they do against Andover next Friday, then Duluth four days after that. Those games and the Duluth/C-E-C game will help sort out the order of Nos. 4-6.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Have seen Forest Lake play quite a bit. Played Rapids in Rapids heard the officiating was beyond bad. Outshot GR by a wide margin. Will see if for real Saturday as they play CDH. Have a strength of Schedule advantage. having played Blake, Breck, SPU, CDH twice Minnetonka, White Bear 3 times Stillwater twice and Moundsview twice. Now getting contributions from the 8th graders, who have been on the score sheet in 8 straight. Really the only team that can roll 3 lines that I have seen.
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

Does 7AA have a seeding meeting like the boys or do they use the QRF?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Should not be that hard and no meeting at Toby's like the boys. On the girls side of things we have female coaches and im not sure how a meeting at Toby's would go.
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

This should be as easy as...Elks run away with it! But the Elks (Boys & Girls) have always had a difficult time winning the big game they SHOULD win; only to lay a terd.
The one thing they have in their favor is FL is FL...right! Its should be a 2 horse race, the horse that can exorcise the demons of the past will prevail!!!! Elks win!
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

zambonidriver wrote:Have seen Forest Lake play quite a bit. Played Rapids in Rapids heard the officiating was beyond bad. Outshot GR by a wide margin. Will see if for real Saturday as they play CDH. Have a strength of Schedule advantage. having played Blake, Breck, SPU, CDH twice Minnetonka, White Bear 3 times Stillwater twice and Moundsview twice. Now getting contributions from the 8th graders, who have been on the score sheet in 8 straight. Really the only team that can roll 3 lines that I have seen.

More accurately, shots were 31 to 30 for GR game. Don't see where you played Blake. White Bear only 2x(ties),Breck(L),SPU(L),CDH(L),Tonka(L),Stillwater(W),MV(W)....but FL's SOS is good.

Not sure there are any quality wins though
goaline

Post by goaline »

[/quote]So what are thoughts of the section and possible seedlings? It seems like Elk River and Flake are top seeds so far? I know CEC is playing well/competing, but we got thumped in Forest Lake last week.[/quote]

Cloquet has surprised some -- the win over Andover and tie with GR this week even though they did get outshot 40-10 -- might be enough to get them into a 4/5 debate with Andover? Flake lost to GR, GR got thumped by the Elks -- it will come down to section records and head-to-head, SOS doesn't trump those. Good to see 7AA with some ranked teams and depth of skill again... Elks section to lose once again!!
Nevertoomuchhockey

wolfman wrote:Should not be that hard and no meeting at Toby's like the boys. On the girls side of things we have female coaches and im not sure how a meeting at Toby's would go.
??
Nevertoomuchhockey

wolfman wrote:Should not be that hard and no meeting at Toby's like the boys. On the girls side of things we have female coaches and im not sure how a meeting at Toby's would go.
??