MN High School Hockey X-mas Wishlist

joe lulic

Community

Post by joe lulic » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:16 pm

jr, I understand your point and any community that accomplishes what Centenniel has should be proud. But should we be proud if kids are making the decision on where to go to high school based on who is the latest hockey power? We encourage kids to "stick together" because of hockey,even though their academic needs are diverse and maybe better served by going to different schools. <br><br>We can have it both ways if we seperate the schools from the hockey. <br> <p></p><i></i>

jr

transfer

Post by jr » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:30 pm

Joe,<br><br>I think any kid should be able to transfer for academic reasons. In my many years of coaching I had a few that did for academics and many more that did for sports. Knowing many coaches the vast majority of kids transfer to both public and private schools in today's system with a sports first mentality. That is not good for anybody. Personally, I just wish their parents would be honest instead of hiding behind the new rules. We have become a society where "Win with whatever it takes" is okay!<br><br>I personally have a bigger problem with the handful of PUBLIC A and AA programs in this state that have welcomed all comers no matter what. It's bad for the game and it teaches some horrible lessons to our youth! <p></p><i></i>

fran

Re: wish list

Post by fran » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:28 pm

I wish for more jobs on the Iron Range and north. This would provide for stability of numbers in everyone's program. <p></p><i></i>

BIAFP

wish list

Post by BIAFP » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:40 pm

I would change one thing, one tourney would eliminate most of the problems, privates included. <p></p><i></i>

jr

Open Enrollment

Post by jr » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:52 pm

Wishes:<br><br>1. Open Enrollment students must sit out an entire year. This shouldn't be a problem since they are going there for educational purposes.<br><br>2. All private schools should be AA.<br><br>3. Runner-ups in 3AA and 6AA play champs from 1AA and 2AA for the right to go to the show. Not really, but weak sections do bother me. <p></p><i></i>

Jacks Fan

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS

Post by Jacks Fan » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:25 pm

ALL I WANT IS A BEMIDJI LUMBERJACK VICTORY. they still havent pulled one off. starting to bother me. 7 straight losses. just one that is all i ask one PLEASE! <p></p><i></i>

IJasonI

BIAFP, jr, etc.

Post by IJasonI » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:38 pm

Are you suggesting that teams like St. Bernards/St. Agnes and SPA should be matched up against teams like centennial in sections? <p></p><i></i>

hocke101

Private Schools

Post by hocke101 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:52 pm

I agree, I mean even some teams who have won class A titles would not be able to play AA like totino a couple years ago. I think that there are a couple teams that could go like Breck Blake and Benilde but having all private schools go AA just because some teams have a lot of players would be pointless. <p></p><i></i>

BIAFP

Private Schools

Post by BIAFP » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:21 pm

IJasonI- Yes, they should all work towards a "STATE" championship. Remember, there is no "I" in Team! <p></p><i></i>

Finn70

Wish

Post by Finn70 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:16 pm

Some of the things I would wish for have already been said so I won't repeat them. <br><br>I would say that one wish I would have is that more parents would be responsible in how they handle their kid. <br><br>A lot of people complain about MSHSL, NTDP, etc. but I see just as many problems coming from parents. Either they think their kid is better than what the kid truly is and create unnecessary problems or else they don't teach their kid enough about loyalty by making them stick with the local program they were brought up in. <br><br>Recruiting players to private schools or thru open enrollment to public schools is a two way street. You can blame a HS coach for trying to recruit but you can also blame a kid's parents for allowing it.<br><br>I have no problem with a parent who has their kid go to another school for legitimate education (or religious) reasons. But we all know that some parents allow it strictly for hockey purposes and I think that sends the wrong message to kids. Those are the parents that bother me. <p></p><i></i>

joe lulic

Re: Wish List

Post by joe lulic » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:05 am

Finn70, <br>There are a lot of parental issues with the "free agency" that now exists but it is the system that has been created that is the real problem. For sure there are parents who "play the game" real well and are cut throat when it comes to their kid. But there are a lot of parents who have a good player who get sucked into this stuff who dont really know what to do.They get torn and confused. <br><br>We need to simplify it for everybody. <br>Parents shouldnt have to be agents for their kids at the age of 15. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Christmas Wish List

Post by JLS 81 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:54 pm

1. That all kids playing today from Mite through High School could experience the joy of playing youth hockey in its "zenith" era of 1969 through 1976. Outdoors, no parental involvement and nothing but great rink rat fun and a lot of "old school coaching" to boot. Skating 6-8 hours on the weekends and every night at the rink, no nintendo!<br>2. Mike Randolph back at East<br>3. John Rothstein head coach at Grand Rapids.<br>4. Single one champion State tourney.<br>5. Demise of open enrollment.<br>6. Demise politically correct entity known as MSHSL.<br>7. Rapids kids to have Mark Columbus size and joe lulic, BIAP, Videoscout, Slappy, etc. heart.<br> <p></p><i></i>