Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 1

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

u12dad

Post by u12dad »

Tuesday, November 10
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret’s 0 @ #2A Breck 4
#18AA Hopkins 3@ #9A New Prague 2
#1A Blake 5 @ #1AA Hill Murray 3

Thursday, November 12
#13AA Buffalo2 @ #14AA Chaska/Chanhassen 3
#8AA Lakeville South 4 @ #6AA Eden Prairie 3
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 2 @ #4A St. Paul United 5

Friday, November 13
#1A Blake 6 @ #7AA Lakeville North 1
#9AA Cretin-Derham Hall 0 @ #3AA Edina 3
#12AA Roseau 3 @ #2AA Minnetonka 5

Saturday, November 14
#18AA Hopkins 3 @ #10A Proctor/Hermantown 2
#5A Warroad 1 @ #2AA Minnetonka 7
#6AA Eden Prairie 2 @ #1AA Hill-Murray 5
#5AA Wayzata 4 @ #20AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 0
#2A Breck 5 @ #11AA Centennial 2
#14AA Chaska/Chanhassen 2 @ #1A Blake 3
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Thanks, U12dad, for getting in on the fun! We're now up to 21 "players" for the balance of the week. Here's a summary of the picks for Tuesday night's games:

BSM vs. Breck: Everyone believes Breck will win.
Average predicted score: 5-1 Mustangs

Hopkins vs. New Prague: 14 of 21 say Hopkins, with one thinking tie.
Average predicted score: 3-2 Royals

Blake vs. Hill-Murray: A battle of the two top-rated teams in their respective classes, this is clearly the Game of the Week. 15 of 21 favor H-M, with one tie.
Average predicted score: 3-2 Pioneers
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNHockeyFan, thanks for running things this year. I've been busy and out of town in warmer climes, but I'll try to pull a rabbit out of the hat for the remaining games (if I'm still allowed to enter, that is):

Big Games - Week 1

Friday, November 6
#8AA Edina @ #4AA Maple Grove - N/A

Saturday, November 7
#9AA Cretin-Derham Hall @ #1A Blake - N/A
#16AA Elk River/Zimmerman @ #11AA Centennial - N/A
#9A New Prague @ #10A Proctor/Hermantown - N/A

Tuesday, November 10
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret’s 1 @ #2A Breck 4
#18AA Hopkins 3 @ #9A New Prague 2
#1A Blake 1 @ #1AA Hill Murray 3

Thursday, November 12
#13AA Buffalo 2 @ #14AA Chaska/Chanhassen 3
#8AA Lakeville South 2 @ #6AA Eden Prairie 3
#20AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 2 @ #4A St. Paul United 3

Friday, November 13
#1A Blake 2 @ #7AA Lakeville North 3
#9AA Cretin-Derham Hall 1 @ #3AA Edina 4
#12AA Roseau 2 @ #2AA Minnetonka 4

Saturday, November 14
#18AA Hopkins 4 @ #10A Proctor/Hermantown 1
#5A Warroad 1 @ #2AA Minnetonka 4
#6AA Eden Prairie 1 @ #1AA Hill-Murray 3
#5AA Wayzata 3 @ #20AA Benilde-St. Margaret's 1
#2A Breck 3 @ #11AA Centennial 2
#14AA Chaska/Chanhassen 2 @ #1A Blake 4
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

sinbin wrote:MNHockeyFan, thanks for running things this year. I've been busy and out of town in warmer climes, but I'll try to pull a rabbit out of the hat for the remaining games (if I'm still allowed to enter, that is):
Why of course, I was wondering where you were! Enjoy the "warmer climes" - it's been beautiful here but that's supposed to change, starting tomorrow.
ZamboniGuy

Post by ZamboniGuy »

Does the November 12th 16AA Elk River vs 15AA Dodge County
Qualify for the "Big Game" predictions?

Just Curious
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
sinbin wrote:MNHockeyFan, thanks for running things this year. I've been busy and out of town in warmer climes, but I'll try to pull a rabbit out of the hat for the remaining games (if I'm still allowed to enter, that is):
Why of course, I was wondering where you were! Enjoy the "warmer climes" - it's been beautiful here but that's supposed to change, starting tomorrow.
Well, only Milwaukee this time.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

ZamboniGuy wrote:Does the November 12th 16AA Elk River vs 15AA Dodge County
Qualify for the "Big Game" predictions?

Just Curious
Yes, it qualifies, but unfortunately I missed it. Please accept my apologies.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Two of tonight’s scores and results:

Breck 4, Benilde-St. Margaret’s 0
Wow, what a start to the season for Breck junior and Gopher recruit Grace Zumwinkle! Miss Zumwinkle scored all four of No. 2A Breck’s goals to provide all the offense her team needed, while in goal Jenna Brenneman stopped all 26 shots she faced to record the shutout.

Everyone in our contest picked up at least one point, and there were two – clutterbucket and (late entrant) u12dad – who also got the score right to earn the bonus.

Hill-Murray 3, Blake 1
The Hill-Murray Pioneers prevailed over the Blake Bears in a battle of the State’s No. 1 ranked teams at Aldrich Arena. Hill-Murray’s first two goals, scored by Jac Kaasa and Laura Anderson, came on the power play. Kate Smith added an even-strength goal late in the 2nd period to stake the Pioneers to a three goal lead. Blake’s Carly Bullock scored with just 14 seconds remaining in the game to spoil Mara Johnson’s shutout bid.

Three of us correctly guessed the 3-1 score: clutterbucket (again!), Knight7 and our other late entrant and “warm weather traveler”, sinbin. ;)

The result of the Hopkins/New Prague game has not yet been posted. I’ll post our Leaderboard when that score is final.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

New Prague 4, Hopkins 3
Catie Skaja’s two goals and one assist paced the Trojans over the Royals. After falling behind 0-4, Hopkins made it a game starting mid-way through the 2nd period, scoring the game’s final three goals, two by junior Stella Haberman.

An upset according to our panel, 15 of whom had Hopkins winning. The lone perfect score was posted by mnhockey3535 who picks up a point, or two, on the rest of the field.

Here’s our Leaderboard heading into Thursday’s three games.

1. clutterbucket – 7 points
rascalbrock – 7 points
3. hugo_lucas – 6
panpan111 – 6
mnhockey3535 – 6
6. Six tied with 5
12. Five tied with 4 :oops:
17. Four with 3
21. Two with 2
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I know these weren't games we picked, but did anyone else see that Centennial's Hughes scored 7 goals last night?

And.....Blaine freshman Ramsey Parent scored 2 goals in her varsity debut.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jg2112 wrote:I know these weren't games we picked, but did anyone else see that Centennial's Hughes scored 7 goals last night?
Wow, 7 goals? That's a whole season's worth for many...I would imagine she's already drawing some interest from some colleges?

Also congrats to Ramsey Parent! Nice way to open one's high school career.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
jg2112 wrote:I know these weren't games we picked, but did anyone else see that Centennial's Hughes scored 7 goals last night?
Wow, 7 goals? That's a whole season's worth for many...I would imagine she's already drawing some interest from some colleges?

GH is the real deal, absolutely. But you have to take into account her opponent last night. Having said that, I would expect her to be a point threat in every game on their schedule if her D can give her some room. Some big blowouts in week one all over the board
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
GH scoring 7 goals on a team that obviously struggles each year to compete should draw the interest of some D1 Coaches? I would look at it differently as a Coach or Scout, but that just me.
I was looking forward to see her play against a quality opponent like Tonka to see how she competes against a complete, well coached team and F like Norby...but they dropped them from the schedule for this season recently. I guess it makes more sense to play Roseville from a stats perspective.
ZamboniGuy

Post by ZamboniGuy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

GH is the real deal, absolutely. But you have to take into account her opponent last night. Having said that, I would expect her to be a point threat in every game on their schedule if her D can give her some room. Some big blowouts in week one all over the board
Just an FYI on that performance. The goalie that played for North Metro that night is just starting her SECOND year of playing goalie. Not what I would call a seasoned High School goalie. GH is a very good player but let's not put her on the Olympic team yet.
ZamboniGuy

Post by ZamboniGuy »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

Just an FYI on that performance. The goalie that played for North Metro that night is just starting her SECOND year of playing goalie. Not what I would call a seasoned High School goalie. GH is a very good player but let's not put her on the Olympic team yet.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

panpan111 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
GH scoring 7 goals on a team that obviously struggles each year to compete should draw the interest of some D1 Coaches? I would look at it differently as a Coach or Scout, but that just me.
I was looking forward to see her play against a quality opponent like Tonka to see how she competes against a complete, well coached team and F like Norby...but they dropped them from the schedule for this season recently. I guess it makes more sense to play Roseville from a stats perspective.
You cannot be serious? Draw interest from D1 schools? My guess is that GH is high on pretty much every D1 list. Have you actually seen her play? You wanted to see GH go against Tonka? How about when she was an 8th grader, and Centennial beat then #1 Tonka 1-0 in Jan-2014. Who had the lone game winning goal? Looks like it was GH. Yes, last year Tonka got their revenge and beat Centennial 3-0. But I don't see any points from PN in the box score for either game.

Want more? Look at both Centennial's and Tonka's schedules last year. Arguably about the same strength of schedule. In 27 games, GH went 32g-26a for 58 pts as a freshman. In 24 games, PN went 25g-19a for 44 pts. GH was 2nd in the state in freshman points to Red Wing's T.Heise (79 points), and 2nd in freshman goals to New Prague's C.Skaja (33 goals) and Moose Lake's A.Gobel (33 goals).

Want more? GH made the same Select 66 Camp roster as PN this past summer. She was one of the youngest forward selected. I HIGHLY doubt GH will have any issues landing on a D1 roster.

End point is that you seem to put PN in pretty high regard. Rightfully so, she is one of the best seniors out there. But along with that, you seem to know little to nothing about GH. Now you know she's one of the best 10th graders out there. But if you're watching anything outside of Tonka hockey, you would've known about GH, Heise, Skaja, Gobel, and other good freshman and 10th grade players. Right?
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

There is some crazy posts going on, but this I have to comment. Gobel in the same conversation as those others? Have you ever looked at Moose Lake schedule? Lots of goals scored against Wisconsin town teams. Probably the weekest schedule in A. Sorry but not even in the same league and shouldn't be in the conversation. :roll:
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

Lace'emUp wrote:
panpan111 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: Wow, 7 goals? That's a whole season's worth for many...I would imagine she's already drawing some interest from some colleges?
You cannot be serious? Draw interest from D1 schools? My guess is that GH is high on pretty much every D1 list. Have you actually seen her play? You wanted to see GH go against Tonka? How about when she was an 8th grader, and Centennial beat then #1 Tonka 1-0 in Jan-2014. Who had the lone game winning goal? Looks like it was GH. Yes, last year Tonka got their revenge and beat Centennial 3-0. But I don't see any points from PN in the box score for either game.

Want more? Look at both Centennial's and Tonka's schedules last year. Arguably about the same strength of schedule. In 27 games, GH went 32g-26a for 58 pts as a freshman. In 24 games, PN went 25g-19a for 44 pts. GH was 2nd in the state in freshman points to Red Wing's T.Heise (79 points), and 2nd in freshman goals to New Prague's C.Skaja (33 goals) and Moose Lake's A.Gobel (33 goals).

Want more? GH made the same Select 66 Camp roster as PN this past summer. She was one of the youngest forward selected. I HIGHLY doubt GH will have any issues landing on a D1 roster.

End point is that you seem to put PN in pretty high regard. Rightfully so, she is one of the best seniors out there. But along with that, you seem to know little to nothing about GH. Now you know she's one of the best 10th graders out there. But if you're watching anything outside of Tonka hockey, you would've known about GH, Heise, Skaja, Gobel, and other good freshman and 10th grade players. Right?
Thanks for the stats update...think u missed the point of my post, but basically you proved the point that stats really are that important to you!
Good Luck this season!
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Lace'emUp wrote:
panpan111 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: Wow, 7 goals? That's a whole season's worth for many...I would imagine she's already drawing some interest from some colleges?

Hmmm..do I leave the gloves on or off? Let's start with them on because by the time I am done I am sure they will be off. Since Presley seems to be thrust into this conversation I will give my two cents.

First, Presley would never and I mean never score 7 goals in a game she has respect for her opponent and her team mates. Second, her coach would never let score 7 and if she did she would get more than an ear full. Last year at Warroad she had 3 very early in the game and he told her not to score again our of respect for the other team and get her team mates involved. Ej has a TEAM plan and does not care about Presley getting "hers"! Last, her college coach..I am putting words in his mouth, however, I know he would be extremely disappointed in her if she went out and hung 7 on North Metro.

I guess there is two different mind sets. Even I like scoring..after the Prior lake game (2-1) I said "boy that was an awful lot of passing, and she said "I just got back from Sweden and I want my team mates to appreciate me so I tried to get the puck to them."

I am not doubting GH's skills, she is a wonderful player. I am sure GH would light it up in the Lake Conference, after all Edina and Ep are no Coon Rapids and Andover. Babble on about stats all you want, hustle, passing, forechecking, team work (and character) all do not have stats attached to them.

And by the way...I do know GH and got a lot more, so let it rest!

Have a great year and may GH lead the state in scoring!

Peace
Last edited by 36Guy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Wow, 7 goals? That's a whole season's worth for many...I would imagine she's already drawing some interest from some colleges?
Gee, sorry folks, and believe me when I say that my intention was NOT to start a big argument! Just giving the young lady some props, that's all, as I have many other players over the years.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Apparently no good deed does go unpunished, MHF. :wink:
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

36Guy wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
panpan111 wrote: GH scoring 7 goals on a team that obviously struggles each year to compete should draw the interest of some D1 Coaches? I would look at it differently as a Coach or Scout, but that just me.

Hmmm..do I leave the gloves on or off? Let's start with them on because by the time I am done I am sure they will be off. Since Presley seems to be thrust into this conversation I will give my two cents.

First, Presley would never and I mean never score 7 goals in a game she has respect for her opponent and her team mates. Second, her coach would never let score 7 and if she did she would get more than an ear full. Last year at Warroad she had 3 very early in the game and he told her not to score again our of respect for the other team and get her team mates involved. Last, her college coach. Ej has a TEAM plan and does not care about Presley getting "hers"! I am putting words in his mouth, however, I know he would be extremely disappointed in her if she went out and hung 7 on North Metro.

I guess there is two different mind sets. Even I like scoring..after the Prior lake game (2-1) I said "boy that was an awful lot of passing, and she said "I just got back from Sweden and I want my team mates to appreciate me so I tried to get the puck to them."

I am not doubting GH's skills, she is a wonderful player. I am sure GH would light it up in the Lake Conference, after all Edina and Ep are no Coon Rapids and Andover. Babble on about stats all you want, hustle, passing, forechecking, team work (and character) all do not have stats attached to them.

And by the way...I do know GH and got a lot more, so let it rest!

Have a great year and may GH lead the state in scoring!

Peace
You're insinuating that I have disrespected PN in some way. Absolutely NOT! There was no disrespect toward PN. She's one of the best in the state (as I noted). Panpan was the one who wanted to compare GH to PN, and noted they would like to see what Centennial would do versus Tonka. I gave him game notes and stats. The wording of his post suggested that he had no idea who GH was. So I informed him.

I'm not "babbling" about stats. I've not twisted them in some unfair way, as you seem to suggest with your tone. You're correct, no stats on "hustle, passing, forechecking, team work and character". Are you suggesting that GH is lacking in those departments? GH shares the scoring with AL on that line almost equally. Both of them feed each other. She's a team player and just as good of a 2-way player as PN is. You say you have "a lot more", so please elaborate.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

panpan111 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
panpan111 wrote: GH scoring 7 goals on a team that obviously struggles each year to compete should draw the interest of some D1 Coaches? I would look at it differently as a Coach or Scout, but that just me.

Thanks for the stats update...think u missed the point of my post, but basically you proved the point that stats really are that important to you!
Good Luck this season!
Your welcome. I did not miss the point of your post:

"GH scoring 7 goals on a team that obviously struggles each year to compete should draw the interest of some D1 Coaches? I would look at it differently as a Coach or Scout, but that just me."
You're suggesting that a coach or a scout should by-pass their interest on a girl who just scored 7 goals against a weak team? Or discount it? That's fine, you have your opinion. What I was telling you is that D1 coaches and scouts have known about GH for a couple years now. Do you think it was frowned upon when GH scored 5 last year versus Andover (state tournament participant)? Years ago, Park Center (now North Metro) had a player named Krissy Wendell. Maybe you remember her. She scored 8 goals in a game TWICE in one season. In no way am I comparing GH to Wendell player-to-player. I am comparing that Wendell committed the atrocious act of scoring that many goals in a game, and things turned out ok for her in the end. She's not a bad person.

"I was looking forward to see her play against a quality opponent like Tonka to see how she competes against a complete, well coached team and F like Norby"
It seems like you do not know who GH is, so I gave you numbers to compare versus the team and player you wanted to compare her to. Both very good players.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

For once I think I agree with pepper.
The girls from "up north" won it all at HP 17s, but that championship meant little in the way of college commitments, or even scouts ATTENDING that first place game. I believe only 1 girl off that team went farther along the HP yellow brick road.
Bottom line, the SOS of many of those teams allow for stats that are far and away not similarly achievable in a metro schedule. Which is why colleges want to see their prospects playing against the best players, and don't just make their offers from the Hub leader boards.
There is undoubtedly D1 talent in every corner of the state, but if the girls ARE NOT competing against the best teams in season and out, it is (true or not) assumed by many that they CAN'T compete with the best.

An aside, now that Prospects and Futures and Elite League and PP are getting so big, if a player isn't showcasing anywhere like that IN state and not showcasing somehow (AAA or HP) OUT state, colleges want to know why...
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:For once I think I agree with pepper.
The girls from "up north" won it all at HP 17s, but that championship meant little in the way of college commitments, or even scouts ATTENDING that first place game. I believe only 1 girl off that team went farther along the HP yellow brick road.
Bottom line, the SOS of many of those teams allow for stats that are far and away not similarly achievable in a metro schedule. Which is why colleges want to see their prospects playing against the best players, and don't just make their offers from the Hub leader boards.
There is undoubtedly D1 talent in every corner of the state, but if the girls ARE NOT competing against the best teams in season and out, it is (true or not) assumed by many that they CAN'T compete with the best.

An aside, now that Prospects and Futures and Elite League and PP are getting so big, if a player isn't showcasing anywhere like that IN state and not showcasing somehow (AAA or HP) OUT state, colleges want to know why...
I do not disagree with you. I was only stating the facts. Gobel just happened to score more goals, so I noted it. If I disregarded Gobel's numbers, someone would have called me on it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. If anything, it makes GH's 32 goals even more of an achievement as a freshmen. Though, I have seen Gobel and the Bird Twins play. They are good players.

The whole point to my rebuttal in the first place was to note that:
1. It doesn't matter if GH scored 7 goals versus a weak team. D1 schools already know about her and will not care one way or the other.
2. Panpan wanted to see what GH could do versus Tonka and PN. I noted they have already competed against each other, and stated the facts and stats that put GH at a high level with PN.

Question: What if GH scored 7 goals versus Tonka? What would it matter? Would it be looked at as an astonishing achievement, or a shameful act of disrespect to hockey? Either way, D1 has known about her for a long time.