Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 1

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Deleted at the request of AAAdad
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Lace'emUp wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:For once I think I agree with pepper.
The girls from "up north" won it all at HP 17s, but that championship meant little in the way of college commitments, or even scouts ATTENDING that first place game. I believe only 1 girl off that team went farther along the HP yellow brick road.
Bottom line, the SOS of many of those teams allow for stats that are far and away not similarly achievable in a metro schedule. Which is why colleges want to see their prospects playing against the best players, and don't just make their offers from the Hub leader boards.
There is undoubtedly D1 talent in every corner of the state, but if the girls ARE NOT competing against the best teams in season and out, it is (true or not) assumed by many that they CAN'T compete with the best.

An aside, now that Prospects and Futures and Elite League and PP are getting so big, if a player isn't showcasing anywhere like that IN state and not showcasing somehow (AAA or HP) OUT state, colleges want to know why...
I do not disagree with you. I was only stating the facts. Gobel just happened to score more goals, so I noted it. If I disregarded Gobel's numbers, someone would have called me on it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. If anything, it makes GH's 32 goals even more of an achievement as a freshmen. Though, I have seen Gobel and the Bird Twins play. They are good players.

The whole point to my rebuttal in the first place was to note that:
1. It doesn't matter if GH scored 7 goals versus a weak team. D1 schools already know about her and will not care one way or the other.
2. Panpan wanted to see what GH could do versus Tonka and PN. I noted they have already competed against each other, and stated the facts and stats that put GH at a high level with PN.

Question: What if GH scored 7 goals versus Tonka? What would it matter? Would it be looked at as an astonishing achievement, or a shameful act of disrespect to hockey? Either way, D1 has known about her for a long time.
http://www.richmolnar.com/Sounds/Homer% ... 20that.wav
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Sorry to get back to the original post.

St. Paul United 3 Benilde 0

shots were 35-11.
Nevertoomuchhockey

🙊
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Knight7 wrote:Sorry to get back to the original post.

St. Paul United 3, Benilde 0

shots were 35-11.
Thanks, Knight7.
SPU got goals from Samantha Burke, Lauren Boettcher and Joie Phelps while BSM's netminder Anna DeGiulio stopped 33 of 36 shots to keep the score respectable. SPU's Catherine Johnson recorded 12 saves for the shutout.

In other games:

Eden Prairie 3, Lakeville South 0
Rachel Werdin's two goals paced the Eagles offense while Alexa Dobchuk stopped 19 shots to keep Lakeville South off the board.

Chaska/Chanhassen 7, Buffalo 2
Game details still not available.

No correct scores in Thursday night's games. Not too surprising I guess with a 7-2 score plus two 3-0 shutout wins.

Here's where things stand with nine "Big Games" still to be played, three tomorrow night and six more on Saturday:

1. panpan111 - 9 points
mnhockey3535 - 9 points

3. clutterbucket - 8
puckdreams - 8
hugo_lucas - 8
rascalbrock - 8
The Bone - 8
spars46 - 8

9. Six tied at 7 :cry:

15. Three at 6

18. Two at 5

20. Three at 4

Also FWI I'll be a little late posting both Friday and Saturday's results - Go Gophers!
u12dad

Post by u12dad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Knight7 wrote:Sorry to get back to the original post.

St. Paul United 3 Benilde 0

shots were 35-11.
11 shots. Ouch.
There were actually 12 shots: the goalie from BSM threw a blocker haymaker in front of the net that landed on the helmet of an SPU player and scorer did not record it- I'm guessing she will lead the team in penalties this year.
Nevertoomuchhockey

The goalie?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

u12dad wrote:There were actually 12 shots...
According to the box score on the Hub the shots were 36-12, so they did end up counting that final one after all.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:The goalie?
Not surprising ....the last 2 years SPU has become notorious for behind the play cheap crap....teams they play would retaliate and take penalties also...had hoped that getting rid of old coach would correct that mentality and maybe it will...SPU has a nice team and doesn't need to play that way..
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I like bringing these up, so.....

Madelyn Skelton (02 - Cambridge) and Kallie Abrahamson (02 - Princeton) both scored last night in what were, respectively, what I believe were their varsity debuts.

Both are 8th graders. Congrats to both players!!
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Sorry about the shots for SPU-Benilde. I left with 34 seconds left. Nu2hockey, the game I saw was the refs letting a lot things go both ways and for cheapshots I believe BSM was worse. SPU goes hard to the net, that's hockey.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:GH is the real deal, absolutely. But you have to take into account her opponent last night. Having said that, I would expect her to be a point threat in every game on their schedule if her D can give her some room.
Chance to see a "Big Game" next week online when GH and Centennial take on a tough Maple Grove team.

http://www.twelve.tv/upcomingevents.aspx
Nevertoomuchhockey

nu2hockey wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:The goalie?
Not surprising ....the last 2 years SPU has become notorious for behind the play cheap crap....teams they play would retaliate and take penalties also...had hoped that getting rid of old coach would correct that mentality and maybe it will...SPU has a nice team and doesn't need to play that way..
Notorious among... Who exactly? And still unsure who you think will lead in penalty minutes. Blake, Breck, SPA, Red Wing, Mirage all play end to end with a lot of chase and one on one. The stats on penalties for the top teams don't reflect your opinion. Besides, the refs control the game. Considering how many Single A college prospects are coming out of these teams, your comment seems like doth protest too much.
Their opponents are forced to "retaliate." Holy over generalization. Would you say the same of any team that was losing to a better opponent?? Ridiculous.
I didn't see this game, but even if what you say is true, the shots on goal discrepancy tells a different story.
Nevertoomuchhockey

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:GH is the real deal, absolutely. But you have to take into account her opponent last night. Having said that, I would expect her to be a point threat in every game on their schedule if her D can give her some room.
Chance to see a "Big Game" next week online when GH and Centennial take on a tough Maple Grove team.

http://www.twelve.tv/upcomingevents.aspx
Can you start a thread/sticky like on the boys side where we can see which games are streaming/when?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Can you start a thread/sticky like on the boys side where we can see which games are streaming/when?
Good idea. I'll pm one of the moderators and ask that they do this.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Cretin-Derham Hall 0, Edina 3
Six different Hornets registered points in a balanced attack, while stout team defense limited the Raiders to just 9 shots on goal. Anna Goldstein stopped them all to earn the shutout.

In our contest all but one picked Edina to win, and two very wise panelists – clutterbucket and u12dad – foresaw the shutout to get the bonus.

Roseau 1, Minnetonka 6
Tonka had too much firepower for the Rams to contain and won going away, 6-1. Future Badger Presley Norby netted a hat trick while also adding an assist, and future Gopher (and opponent!) Kippin Keller scored two goals and assisted on two others, which also gave her a four point night.

Everyone had the Skippers winning this game, but nobody guessed the score…making this game a wash in our contest.

Blake 5, Lakeville North 1
Carly Bullock, a Princeton Tiger commit, scored three goals to lead No. 1 rated Blake in Class A over No. 7 Class AA Lakeville North. Will this be enough for Blake to retain their ranking lead over rival Breck? They each have opponents on Saturday who might have something to say about that. ;)

With an average score of 3-2, most of our prognosticators thought this would be a much closer game. Five predicted a Panther win and two others thought the two teams would tie. But fifteen others picked the Bears to come out on top, and win the point. With a predicted score of 6-1 U12dad came closest to getting the score right...but still, no cigar.

So heading into tomorrow’s grand six game finale, we have a three-way tie for first place:

1. Clutterbucket (12 points)
panpan111 - 12
mnhockey3535 - 12 (probably wishing he didn’t get in late, missing that first game)

4. puckdreams – 11
hugo_lucas – 11
The Bone – 11

7. 36Guy – 10
massalsa – 10
rascalbrock – 10
nu2hockey – 10
MNHockeyFan – 10 (we still got a shot, boys! ;))
spars46 – 10

13. Three with 9

16. Three with 8

19. Four with 7
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

After a full day of hockey for yours truly I'm just going to do the scores and contest results to wrap up Week 1.

Hopkins 5, Proctor/Hermantown 4 (OT)
Our panel was pretty split on this one, with just under half (9 of 22) believing Hopkins would win. Nobody guessed the score.

Warroad 2, Minnetonka 4
Our group was unanimous in picking Tonka to win, and most thought their margin of victory would be larger, as the average predicted score was 5-1. Again there were no correct scores - a single point for everybody.

Eden Prairie 1, Hill-Murray 4
The Pioneers showed why they deserve their early No. 1AA ranking with a convincing 4-1 win over a very good Eden Prairie team. This comes on the heels of their 3-1 win over Blake, the No. 1 ranked team in Class A. Our contestants were almost unanimous in believing the Pioneers would prevail, with one predicting the two teams would tie. And three correctly got the score right, adding the all-important bonus point: wolfman, puckdreams and nu2hockey. Nice going!

Wayzata 3, Benilde-St. Margaret's 1
Another game where there was a clear-cut favorite, with all but one liking the Trojans, and they were right. Plus there were four who were also right on the score: the wily veterans Sparlimb and Knight7, GoalieDefense (who I hear always appreciates low scoring games) and late-entrant sinbin (if only...) ;)

Breck 3, Centennial 2 (OT)
I see where Breck doubled up the Cougars on shots, but it took overtime to win it. Again almost everyone (19 of 22) got the winner right, and this time there were three who also nailed the score: GoalieDefense (getting hot!), hockeymaven and - once again - sinbin (who now must be really kicking himself).

And the last game of the week:

Chaska/Chanhassen 1, Blake 5
After beating a good Lakeville North team by the same score yesterday, another command performance by the No. 1 rated team in Class A. Our panel was mostly all right again, with 18 of 22 thinking the Bears would win. And guess who got his third correct score in a row? GoalieDefense, who finishes the week positively on fire! And nu2hockey joins in with the other perfect score to finish up strong also.

Final Leaderboard
(a wild last day and the tightest finish in memory, with 8 First Place winners):
1. clutterbucket - 17 points (14 of 19 correct picks + 3 correct scores)
1. puckdreams - 17 points (16 of 19 + 1 correct score)
1. GoalieDefense - 17 points (14 of 19 + 3 correct scores, all today!)
1. hugo_lucas - 17 points (all on correct picks - no bonus points - great job!)
1. nu2hockey - 17 points (15 of 19 + 2 correct scores, both today)
1. The Bone - 17 points (matches hugo_lucas, picking the winners in 17 of the 19 games - no bonus points - tremendous!)
1. panpan111 - 17 points (nearly as good - 16 of 19 + 1 bonus)
1. mnhockey3535 - 17 points (again, 16 of 19 plus a bonus, and finished in a tie for first despite being too late to pick the first game)

9. 36Guy - 16 points
sinbin - 16 (what if I didn't miss those first four games!)

11. Knight7 - 15 points
MNHockeyFan - 15 (meh, no correct scores! :( )

13. wolfman - 14
massalsa - 14
hockeybozo - 14
spars46 - 14
hockeymaven - 14
u12dad - 14 (also missed first 4 games, couldn't get lucky on last day)

19. Two with 13

21. Two with 11

Great opening week! Congrats to our 9 First Place winners.
Look for Week 2 to be posted early tomorrow!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Anyone else at the Anoka game? Good showing for them, although SOG would tell a different story. They may suprise some people in the next few years.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

A couple notable things from yesterday's games.

First, I realize again this is against North Metro (like Hughes earlier this week), but Ramsey Parent scored 3 yesterday. That's 5 goals in her first two varsity games.

I am not Parent's, er, parent, but I find this pretty impressive for a high school freshman.

Also, the most impressive player I saw at U12 two years ago scored two for Breck against Centennial yesterday. Sydney Breza lighting the lamp as a freshman.

Hughes scored in that game for Centennial.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Well, I will blame my MKE friends for pulling me away from hockey for a long weekend. Besides, I prefer to consider points-per-game, rather than total points, as the truest barometer of predictive skill. Or, more accurately, I will traditionally after the fact expend great effort to find a measurement that makes my picks look the best in relation to others. :wink: I only fear that I've already used up a season's worth of correct scores in Week #1 with nothing to show for it. :cry: It's a long season, though, and good luck to all contestants, players, and coaches.
Nevertoomuchhockey

jg2112 wrote:A couple notable things from yesterday's games.

First, I realize again this is against North Metro (like Hughes earlier this week), but Ramsey Parent scored 3 yesterday. That's 5 goals in her first two varsity games.

I am not Parent's, er, parent, but I find this pretty impressive for a high school freshman.

Also, the most impressive player I saw at U12 two years ago scored two for Breck against Centennial yesterday. Sydney Breza lighting the lamp as a freshman.

Hey maybe you should start a frosh thread like the boys forum. There are 7-9th grader playing all over the state with great success - not just Section 10 alums. Just a thought.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
jg2112 wrote:A couple notable things from yesterday's games.

Hey maybe you should start a frosh thread like the boys forum. There are 7-9th grader playing all over the state with great success - not just Section 10 alums. Just a thought.
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that.

- Father of a Section 2 Female Hockey Player.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Lace'emUp wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:For once I think I agree with pepper.
The girls from "up north" won it all at HP 17s, but that championship meant little in the way of college commitments, or even scouts ATTENDING that first place game. I believe only 1 girl off that team went farther along the HP yellow brick road.
Bottom line, the SOS of many of those teams allow for stats that are far and away not similarly achievable in a metro schedule. Which is why colleges want to see their prospects playing against the best players, and don't just make their offers from the Hub leader boards.
There is undoubtedly D1 talent in every corner of the state, but if the girls ARE NOT competing against the best teams in season and out, it is (true or not) assumed by many that they CAN'T compete with the best.

An aside, now that Prospects and Futures and Elite League and PP are getting so big, if a player isn't showcasing anywhere like that IN state and not showcasing somehow (AAA or HP) OUT state, colleges want to know why...
I do not disagree with you. I was only stating the facts. Gobel just happened to score more goals, so I noted it. If I disregarded Gobel's numbers, someone would have called me on it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. If anything, it makes GH's 32 goals even more of an achievement as a freshmen. Though, I have seen Gobel and the Bird Twins play. They are good players.

The whole point to my rebuttal in the first place was to note that:
1. It doesn't matter if GH scored 7 goals versus a weak team. D1 schools already know about her and will not care one way or the other.
2. Panpan wanted to see what GH could do versus Tonka and PN. I noted they have already competed against each other, and stated the facts and stats that put GH at a high level with PN.

Question: What if GH scored 7 goals versus Tonka? What would it matter? Would it be looked at as an astonishing achievement, or a shameful act of disrespect to hockey? Either way, D1 has known about her for a long time.
All this nonsense talk about GH. Waste of ink IMO. Not only will she get attention, she already has. Every WCHA teams has interest in her. Pick your team GH. Just don't play for the City rats in gold.