Big Games and Your Predictions - Week 5

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Blaine 1, Elk River/Zimmerman 0

Courtney Moser’s goal midway through the 3rd period lifted the 6AA Bengals over the 9AA Elks in a key Northwest Suburban Conference matchup. Moser was assisted by fellow junior Sarah Ganley. This game was very even throughout as neither team outshot the other by more than one in each period. Shots on goal finished at 28-27 Blaine. Both teams’ goalies were stellar. Elks goalie Michaela Gould finished with 27 saves on 28 shots, while Bengals tender Jaela O'Brien was one better with 27 of 27, and the shutout.

A little surprising that the majority – 20 of 30 – thought the lower ranked team would win this one. There was one who said tie, so just 9 of 30 get a point. Nobody came close on the score.

Two more games and our final standings will be reported on when the results are posted.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: In total 109 shots [ ! ] were put on net by the two teams, with White Bear Lake holding a slight edge at 57-52.
How do I get this guy or gal to come count shots at my daughters games?
:lol: I assume she's a goalie?
This is what we get...Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker[/img]

This is everywhere else, it seems...Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker[/img]
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Blake 4, Breck 0
Blake used a balanced scoring attack, getting even strength goals from Phoebe Warner, CC Wallin and Carly Bullock plus an unassisted short-handed tally by Lily Delianedis to beat their No. 1 rival Breck. Delianedis also assisted on Wallin’s goal and was the only player to record two points on the night. Olivia Bizal was perfect in net for the Bears, stopping all 31 Mustangs shots for the shutout.

In terms of how our group voted this was as evenly balanced as we’ve had all season, with votes split right down the middle, at 15-15. And once again nobody expected a shutout, thus no bonus points.

Maple Grove 5, Buffalo 2
Julia Pias got Maple Grove on the board, scoring twice midway through the first period, pacing the Crimson to a 5-2 win at the Buffalo Civic Center. Hailey Herdine scored Maple Grove’s third goal before Jillianne Hovland would answer for the Bison, still in the first period. Payton Rudiger then scored the lone goal in the 2nd period, closing the gap to one with a full period left to play. But Buffalo could not come up with the equalizer, and allowed Maple Grove two more in the 3rd which put the game away. The Crimson outshot the Bison in each period and finished with a 36-21 advantage.

The outcome was no surprise to our group, other than one who predicted an upset. And this time there were three – GoalieDefense, READYtoPLAY and hugo_lucas – who nailed the score to earn the extra point.

This concludes Week 5. And the winner is ……. a Six Place Tie! Congrats to 36Guy, panpan111, u12dad, READYtoPLAY, spars46 and The Bone who finish in 1st Place with 10 points each.

1. 36Guy – 10 points
panpan111 - 10
u12dad - 10
READYtoPLAY - 10
spars46 - 10
The Bone – 10

7. Hansonbrother - 9
GoalieDefense – 9
nu2hockey – 9
easthockeydad – 9
sinbin – 9

12. clutterbucket – 8
hockeybozo – 8
glovesareoff – 8
Sparlimb – 8

16. mnhockey3535 – 7
Bardown96 – 7
THEBUCKSTOPSHERE – 7
MNHockeyFan – 7 (meh)
MN_Bowhunter – 7
hockeyfan87 – 7
massalsa – 7

23. Knight7 – 6
wolfman – 6
hugo_lucas – 6
MIYY4U – 6
puckdreams – 6

28. One with 5

29. One with 4

30. One with 3

All in all, kind of a weird week, with all the ties and shutouts. At least that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it! ;)

Look for Week 6 to be posted Sunday morning.
u12dad

Post by u12dad »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Is Sydney any relation to Hannah and the Brodt's (Vic, Winny, etc) that went through Roseville?
I was told tonight (at the Gophers/Huskies women's game) that they are related, cousins maybe? The guy I asked was not 100% positive, however. Maybe someone else can confirm. In any case it would appear that Minnesota-Duluth has recruited a very good player.
Sydney Brodt (pronounced Braht) is not related to Winny Brodt (pronounced Brohdt) and that comes straight from Grandpa Brodt (Braht).