referees

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

C-dad wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
And I am leaving Christmas day for a week or so in Mexico.

Thanks.
How is that Mexican hockey looking these days?
If we could get that dang ocean to freeze over we could have a pretty good team.
JSR

Post by JSR »

The Next One wrote:I believe they are stuck to the 1-2 system because they believe it is a better development tool for referees. I disagree, but I am too old to be worrying about advancing to nahl tier 7, ushl, or anything beyond high school.

As far as refs not controlling games, when is the last time you saw a coach tell a player u can't do that even though it wasn't called? Umm never.
When is the last time u told lil jonny that slash behind the play was really stupid that the ref didn't see? Ummm never
Actually I coach and I say stuff to kids when I see it all the time even if the ref doesn't say anything. I've even benched kids for taking cheap shots that the ref didn't see... and I know several other good coaches who do the same... so yea you are wrong about that
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

JSR wrote:
The Next One wrote:I believe they are stuck to the 1-2 system because they believe it is a better development tool for referees. I disagree, but I am too old to be worrying about advancing to nahl tier 7, ushl, or anything beyond high school.

As far as refs not controlling games, when is the last time you saw a coach tell a player u can't do that even though it wasn't called? Umm never.
When is the last time u told lil jonny that slash behind the play was really stupid that the ref didn't see? Ummm never
Actually I coach and I say stuff to kids when I see it all the time even if the ref doesn't say anything. I've even benched kids for taking cheap shots that the ref didn't see... and I know several other good coaches who do the same... so yea you are wrong about that
I am glad you do this and that there are some good coaches left. I think coaches/parents disciplining the players could happen a lot more instead of always blaming the refs about the game. I feel the last 10-15 yrs the lack of respect for your opponent is one aspect that has greatly changed.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I'm thinking back on my experiences as a coach over the years and especially this year. I will honestly say that I have come across very few "bad" coaches, you know the ones always working the refs for a call regardless of how guilty their player is of committing the crime, screaming at the kids, only caring about W's or L's. A vast majority of the coaches I come up against on game day are "good guys" who try to teach their kids the right way of doing things, that are very complimentary of the opposing team and the opposing players, and who will not hesitate to share information or "trade secrets" whether that be in the handshake line at center ice after a game or while you are hanging out in the hallways outside the locker rooms between games.

Maybe I'm just feeling like a little softy on Christmas Eve but thank you to all those good coaches out there. You are the ones who contribute to making coaching this sport an enjoyable experience.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

jg2112 wrote:I guess it's worth mentioning here. MN Made uses 2 referees and 0 linesmen. While sometimes there are a lot of penalties called, I think that goes to the speed and nature of their games (at my daughter's level, there is checking).

I've heard enough horror stories about officiating (Bantams reffing tournament games up north, a horribly officiated local game last night with 16 penalties) to give me serious pause about returning to Association hockey next season.
Just so you know the refs doing the choice league at MN Made are the same guys reffing association hockey.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

D8 is two refs no lines.