citypages article

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Don's interview

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:29 am

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

That writer is a hack, Gophers have won more games than any program in the country over past 4 years. Article should be on Big Ten hockey not Gopher hockey. Give it time and Big Ten will be top conference. Its all about money and they have it.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:07 am

minnscout wrote:That writer is a hack, Gophers have won more games than any program in the country over past 4 years. Article should be on Big Ten hockey not Gopher hockey. Give it time and Big Ten will be top conference. Its all about money and they have it.
You mean its about influence to change the rules to their benefit and they have it.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:22 am

How does the writer even have a job? I mean it is city pages which is trash, but since when did hipsters become interested in hockey?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:36 am

And really, who cares?
Its just the Gophers.
Now if it were the Sioux, The Dogs or the Beavs, that would be a different story.

Not every Minnesota youth/high school player or enthusiast is a Gopher fan. At least, not their first team.

But if you are not winning, this is what happens.

BSU Beavers have a very good coach. But a lot of locals are up in arms because hey do not like his boring style. Now with a subpar season (for BSU) they want him gone.

At a little tiny school where success is measured differently than the UofM it is still
"Win or Leave (get pushed out the door)".

Its a tough job.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:39 am

This does a lovely job of blowing things out of proportion and comes off as a hack job with all the anonymous sources. Which is unfortunate, because I think there are some legitimate questions about the Gophers under Lucia that are worth raising. Not gonna happen when this is how the criticism comes off.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:37 am

I like the article on the whole it points out some obvious issues with recruiting 15 year olds. A program like Minnesota, you're going to have high-end players," says former Ohio State Coach Mark Osiecki. "But you can't have your whole roster of that." That, in a short quote sums up the U's issues in the past few years. I do think it's idiotic to put the magnifying glass on this years team. But how can anyone disagree that The Don throwing a freshman under the bus for blowing a 2 goal lead against Kato is horrendous leadership.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 am

That article is right on target. No one in the sports media in Minnesota would have the courage to say things that a lot of people are thinking or take the time to talk to people about it. Let's see where the Gophers end up at the end of the season. That will confirm or prove his article. Wasn't it a few years ago when someone in the front office for the Islanders made similar comments? He was vilified by the local press. Looks like he was way ahead of the curve.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:33 am

minnscout wrote:That writer is a hack, Gophers have won more games than any program in the country over past 4 years. Article should be on Big Ten hockey not Gopher hockey. Give it time and Big Ten will be top conference. Its all about money and they have it.
No, the B1G will never be more than the third or fourth most competitive conference. It is bland with no personality. Right, it has the most money, but it generates very little interest.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 am

greenway1969 wrote:That article is right on target. No one in the sports media in Minnesota would have the courage to say things that a lot of people are thinking or take the time to talk to people about it. Let's see where the Gophers end up at the end of the season. That will confirm or prove his article. Wasn't it a few years ago when someone in the front office for the Islanders made similar comments? He was vilified by the local press. Looks like he was way ahead of the curve.
This is right on the money! For the last 5-6 yrs people in the hockey community have seen and heard these same comments. How many of Lucia's former players have come to his defense?

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 pm

greenway1969 wrote:That article is right on target. No one in the sports media in Minnesota would have the courage to say things that a lot of people are thinking or take the time to talk to people about it. Let's see where the Gophers end up at the end of the season. That will confirm or prove his article. Wasn't it a few years ago when someone in the front office for the Islanders made similar comments? He was vilified by the local press. Looks like he was way ahead of the curve.
You may want to come up with a better reference than Garth Snow if you want your comments to be taken seriously.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:17 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
You may want to come up with a better reference than Garth Snow if you want your comments to be taken seriously.
Last I checked he was the President and GM of the Islanders. They seem do being doing very well and have quite a few Mn guys! Who would you want to be referenced if you want it taken seriously?

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:22 am

Greenway - I don't understand what you mean by we will see how the season ends. What does that have to do with anything?

I love hearing people say the kids are to young that are committing to the gophers. Do those people really think the gophers were the only team recruiting Brinkman?

Did anyone really expect this years team to be much of anything? I mean if people really can't see how young they are this year and how much talent they lost from last year. The problem I have with gopher fans is they don't think there is hockey anywhere else in the country. The parity in this sport is like no other. That's what makes it fun to watch. Same goes true with the Stanley cup.

Last thing I got...does Hartzell have some personal beef with Lucia? Either wants his job or upset his kid didn't play for the gophers.

Teak

Re: citypages article

Post by Teak » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:52 am

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

To be fair to Lucia, what is he to do in terms of recruiting? Would the detractors have him recruit the players that are NOT the best in the state of Minnesota? Can you imagine Don going out and offering scholarships to numbers 11-20, allowing other schools to recruit numbers 1-10? The critics would be baying for his head if he did that.

As to the work ethic in the players, yeah he would be partly responsible for that.

O-townClown

City Pages article writer wants Lucia gone

Post by O-townClown » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:47 am

I think it is a good article that sums up the challenges faced by Lucia and other coaches. The part I'll add is that the Gophers are the biggest game on everyone's schedule, especially the other in-state schools.

Funny to read the beginning about the doom and gloom and then hit the part about them being very recent runners-up in the NCAA. Seriously? It can't be that bad.

I didn't understand why kids jumped so often after their junior year to play in the AHL. Made sense to me for NHL playing time and NHL money. The AHL? No thanks.

Then I learned the kid I know bailed on his NCAA team where he was captain as a junior, not just for the $80,000 or so to play in the minors...but he also got a $100,000 signing bonus. Wow. Now I get it.

College coaches will always struggle to keep their top players, further leveling the playing field.

People said Gopher hockey was in disarray when Lake Superior won three NCs with the older players. Maine was once a top program. I'm going to bet the U remains a top program for several more decades. The problem for some restless fans is that being a top program no longer means annual treks to the Frozen Four and frequent NCs.
Be kind. Rewind.

observer

Post by observer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:25 am

what is he to do in terms of recruiting?
Recruit whoever he wants but don't fuss when your choices of 14 year old players is wrong. Obviously not the best approach for developing a winning program. Not a big fan of 21 year old freshmen (only sport that has junior development leagues) but it is what it is.

Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:59 am

right on. jr hockey is a business its about the money

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:36 am

Just did a quick check on former college players currently in NHL. These are close to accurate but maybe a player or two off either way. It shows 17 former Gophers and 15 former North Dakota players. (Pretty much equal)

I just thought that was interesting being the talk by many is that Minnesota does not develop players nearly as well as some other schools.

I will check into what other programs have in the NHL.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:53 am

I come up with:

19- Michigan
18-Wisconsin
17-Minnesota
17- BC
15- North Dakota
14- BU

These numbers could be off 1 or 2 either way but to me it looks as if former Lucia players are playing in the NHL at about the same rate as the other major programs.

Given the fact that the Gophers are getting most of their players from within the state and not going outside the borders like the others, I think they are doing okay.

JMHO

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:56 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Just did a quick check on former college players currently in NHL. These are close to accurate but maybe a player or two off either way. It shows 17 former Gophers and 15 former North Dakota players. (Pretty much equal)

I just thought that was interesting being the talk by many is that Minnesota does not develop players nearly as well as some other schools.

Yeah, but what you must take into consideration is most if Not all of the gophers currently playing in the NHL would have likely made it to the NHL regardless of where they played college hockey....Erik Johnson, Okposo, Goligoski, Leddy, M. Reilly, Paul Martin, Blake Wheeler, Bjugstad etc. All were guys who make it to the show no matter what...the U was merely a stop on their way there....and how much better/more prepared would they have been when they got to the NHL developing somewhere else?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:11 am

Sats81 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Just did a quick check on former college players currently in NHL. These are close to accurate but maybe a player or two off either way. It shows 17 former Gophers and 15 former North Dakota players. (Pretty much equal)

Yeah, but what you must take into consideration is most if Not all of the gophers currently playing in the NHL would have likely made it to the NHL regardless of where they played college hockey....Erik Johnson, Okposo, Goligoski, Leddy, M. Reilly, Paul Martin, Blake Wheeler, Bjugstad etc. All were guys who make it to the show no matter what...the U was merely a stop on their way there....and how much better/more prepared would they have been when they got to the NHL developing somewhere else?
That could be a valid point. I would think the same could be said for the other players though. Maybe not in all cases but I would think most of the former college players in the NHL would have reached that level no matter which school they attended. I may be wrong- just my line of thought.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:36 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

That could be a valid point. I would think the same could be said for the other players though. Maybe not in all cases but I would think most of the former college players in the NHL would have reached that level no matter which school they attended. I may be wrong- just my line of thought.
I think every player that I mentioned was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Less than 50% of 2nd rnd NHL picks ever play an NHL game....most of those guys being 1st rnd picks were almost guaranteed to make it there no matter what.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:28 am

Sats81 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

I think every player that I mentioned was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Less than 50% of 2nd rnd NHL picks ever play an NHL game....most of those guys being 1st rnd picks were almost guaranteed to make it there no matter what.
I can agree with that.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 am

Puckguy19 wrote:
No, the B1G will never be more than the third or fourth most competitive conference. It is bland with no personality. Right, it has the most money, but it generates very little interest.
Generates very little interest??? 2015-16 college hockey attendance:
Rank Team Dates Total Attendance Average Attendance
1 North Dakota 13 152,598 11,738
2 Minnesota 15 146,049 9,737
3 Wisconsin 12 104,274 8,690
4 Nebraska-Omaha 12 80,376 6,696
5 Minnesota-Duluth 13 84,010 6,462
6 Penn State 16 97,454 6,091
7 Colorado College 14 84,275 6,020
8 Mass-Lowell 14 75,676 5,405
9 Michigan 13 69,569 5,351
10 Boston College 13 68,731 5,287
11 Denver 12 62,396 5,200
12 Michigan State 12 60,398 5,033
13 Ohio State 11 55,047 5,004

So all six teams being in the top 13 of attendance is generating "very little interest".... hmmm... also all six teams are amongst the highest regular season TV ratings..... They also have the larges national fan bases..... hmmmm the numbers do not support you.... I get it, you hate the B1G and you wish they were still the WCHA blah blah blah.... resting on nostalgia and wishing for a by gone era doesn't make you right. The B1G will become the predominant college hockey conference. And like it or not, money, national exposure, power, name brand recognition etc... are what drives the bus like it or not. It's also the bus that will drive the PAC12 to inevitably have a hockey conference, and for more B1G schools to join D1 hockey and it ultimately is the reason that D1 hockey will survive because like it or not the previous model was not sustainable long term because the schools don't have the financial ability to sustain their programs long term. period, end of story....