Girls HS Hockey in Major Decline

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zooomx

Post by zooomx »

thegreatone99 wrote:60 - 2 shots: New State Record - for fewest shots on a goalie in a State game

At least the Blake goalie will forever be in the record books :lol: :lol:
The dead horse has been beaten so soundly, you can't even recognize it was once a horse. :roll:

I don't think SPU belongs in this discussion though. Alex did not play their best game, although they played 2 very solid periods. They had SPU on the ropes and an insanely quick whistle cost Alex the tying goal in the 3rd. If not for that, momentum was going their way. SPU looks like a very good A team, but does not outclass other solid public programs at this level. Their goalie was rock solid today too. Hats off to them!

The Blake game was out of hand. Partially due to Blake just being that crazy good, and yes, should make the move to AA anytime now, but the way sections are divided, sometimes we have weaker A teams play in this tournament. Would love to see Warroad knock them off in this tournament.

I still think there needs to be strong teams in Class A hockey, or as other posters have said, we become a B tournament.

That being said, we get it... we really do... we know how you feel... you couldn't have articulated it any better. Please, for the love of all that is holy, please, please, please let it go. MSHSL is not going to read this forum and change because of your pleas. You are not going to rouse hundreds of hockey fans to your cause.

Your best bet is to contact the Blake athletic department and tease them mercilessly until they capitulate and go AA. Fart in their general direction. The ball is in their court, not ours, not the MSHSL.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

zooomx wrote:
Your best bet is to contact the Blake athletic department and tease them mercilessly until they capitulate and go AA. Fart in their general direction. The ball is in their court, not ours, not the MSHSL.
Yes, and you may have to get them a shrubbery, fyi.

I chatted with some Luverne players last night while we waited for the elevator. They were all smiles and giggles and the lopsided defeat didn't seem to bother them much, they seemed really happy to be here in St Paul...
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

For those that stated they do not go to the X to see a team like Northfield or any of the four other teams. Well this is what it is all about, great to see what it means to a smaller community, hats off to Northfield. It's the name on the front of the sweater, not the back.

The afternoon attendance was announced as 2,458, the largest ever for a Class 1A quarterfinal afternoon session.

Leaving the podium after his postgame news conference, Northfield coach Brett Bielenberg made a point to say, “How about that Northfield crowd, huh?”

Raiders fans filled up an entire section of Xcel Energy Center, making an impression on Warroad coach Dave Marvin and his players.

“Tip your cap to Northfield a little bit,” he said. “That was maybe the biggest following I’ve seen at the tournament the six years I’ve coached here. That was pretty awesome.”
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

thegreatone99 wrote:For those that stated they do not go to the X to see a team like Northfield or any of the four other teams. Well this is what it is all about, great to see what it means to a smaller community, hats off to Northfield. It's the name on the front of the sweater, not the back.

The afternoon attendance was announced as 2,458, the largest ever for a Class 1A quarterfinal afternoon session.

Leaving the podium after his postgame news conference, Northfield coach Brett Bielenberg made a point to say, “How about that Northfield crowd, huh?”

Raiders fans filled up an entire section of Xcel Energy Center, making an impression on Warroad coach Dave Marvin and his players.

“Tip your cap to Northfield a little bit,” he said. “That was maybe the biggest following I’ve seen at the tournament the six years I’ve coached here. That was pretty awesome.”
Great games yesterday, good luck to the big schools today!
Northfield wasn't even close to the biggest section but they traveled a heck of a long way, much longer than some teams (but not Warroad!)
The attendance record seems to contradict the apathy some have claimed has consumed the girls' game. We saw hats and jackets from dozens of teams yesterday.
There would be an even bigger crowd if it didn't cost so much. But that's another argument all together.
u12dad

TGO99

Post by u12dad »

thegreatone99 wrote:packed X, losing 6-0, shots 50-0 after two, priceless

You all should be mighty proud of this historic display of dominance by Blake.

My bad, I am the idiot for even thinking this is wrong...
I finally agree with one thing TGO99 said: "My bad, I am the idiot for even thinking this is wrong..." All this time I thought he was pulling everyone's chain! :D
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

thegreatone99 wrote:For those that stated they do not go to the X to see a team like Northfield or any of the four other teams. Well this is what it is all about, great to see what it means to a smaller community, hats off to Northfield. It's the name on the front of the sweater, not the back.

I was 97% sure you wouldn't agree, but 100% sure I wouldn't care if you did or not.

If you go back and read, I said, I speak for myself and no one else and it doesn't make it right - it is what it is.

You are somewhat right, it is about the name on the front of the jersey, as those teams/programs, either attract or develop, whatever your opinion is, the players I would go watch. So for me, to spend the $200 and make the 3-1/2 hour round trip to the X, it IS about the names on the back of the jerseys. For the other 4, I will either stream their games for $6 or watch on CH. 45.

To clarify, I wouldn't normally go out of my way to watch a Centennial game either, except there is a name on the back of one of the jerseys, that is very fun to watch play. Same with Blaine, Minnetonka, Blake and even Breck - there are some very talented players on these teams, that I would go out of my way to go watch.
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

All I can say is how excited I am to see the Screamin EP Eagles up next. So great to see them back at the X :lol: :lol: :lol:
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

Hope FL can pull off the upset since they do represent section 7 and bias there, but so much fun seeing EP, the champions of section 2, skating around the X, a real toss up and fun game between two community teams. Predict 3-2 for FL
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

thegreatone99 wrote:Hope FL can pull off the upset since they do represent section 7 and bias there, but so much fun seeing EP, the champions of section 2, skating around the X, a real toss up and fun game between two community teams. Predict 3-2 for FL
Congrats to both EP and Edina, sounds like pretty close games, no blowouts and how it should be for a State Tourney. With section 7 eliminated have to get behind the community based Champions from Section 2, the Screamin Eagles. Go EP!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

And.... another attendance record. #nodeclinehere
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

pretty cool article and the support

http://www.people.com/article/minnesota ... _peoplemag
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

It was fun to see the name on the back of all the FL girls sweaters - "RANGERS"
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

It was fun to see some Elk River girls and most of the Forest lake girls yuk it up and seem to have a great time together during the eve games. Just a week ago those same Flake kids broke some major hearts. That my friends is what its all about..
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

Interesting - it appears when you receive a get out of school pass and have small community teams positivity happens.

AA Night Session - Attendance:2663
AA Afternoon Session - Attendance:4267

A Night Session - Attendance:1834
A Afternoon Session - Attendance:2458

Good for NF and in the afternoon session, almost tied the AA night session, build a strong community team and they will come
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

thegreatone99 wrote:It was fun to see the name on the back of all the FL girls sweaters - "RANGERS"
Ok, not sure why I feel I need to explain it again, but I will try. I actually like the fact that FL puts the "Rangers" on the back of their jerseys. I think it sends a good message to the players.

I think it is great that small town community based teams make the tournament. I think it is good for not only "Girls" hockey, but hockey in general. I believe I said, they would certainly draw fans and interest from their area.

I don't think it would draw the same interest from people that are not from that area, which may not even matter. My point was that either game would probably draw the same amount of fans. However, the Championship game that would be played at a higher level, would draw more interest from people not associated with those HS's. For me, I would go as it would be a chance to see really good "individual" players, that I would normally not be able to see during the year. I couldn't care any less who wins between Blake and Breck or Blake and SPU. But it is fun to watch players that play the game at a very high level.

I also feel the private schools, should opt up. I just suggested that the quickest way to have them move up - is to change the title of "A" to "B". I am pretty sure they would opt up immediately.

However, I also realize that if the MSHL change it to "B", the smaller but consistently stronger programs, such as "Warroad" would probably opt up as well. Therefore the tourney would truly become a "B" level tournament. Which wouldn't be good for girls hockey or hockey in general.

The private schools are playing within the rules set by the MSHL. No matter how many times you say the same thing over and over to people on this forum, it won't change anything. All it is doing is annoying everyone, even the people that agree.

Keep supporting and promoting the small publics, nothing wrong with that at all!
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

thegreatone99 wrote:It was fun to see the name on the back of all the FL girls sweaters - "RANGERS"
Ehh, I get the sentiment but I respectfully disagree. The name on the front of the jersey is sufficient. The players should be allowed at least some modicum of individuality.
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Ok, not sure why I feel I need to explain it again,
NWH - do not take my posts to heart, I was simply making some observations from the tourney on attendance and sweaters, not sure why you feel you have to explain yourself. Keep it simple

And Jg had his opinion which is totally fine too.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

thegreatone99 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Ok, not sure why I feel I need to explain it again,
NWH - do not take my posts to heart, I was simply making some observations from the tourney on attendance and sweaters, not sure why you feel you have to explain yourself. Keep it simple

And Jg had his opinion which is totally fine too.
To heart? Ha, no!! You take snippets out of certain posts, use them out of context and then post the same stupid things over and over as if those snippets justify your rants. Either you do not get it, so further explanation is required, or you have no other goal but to annoy people.

I get it, it is my fault for getting sucked into your little rant, play on Great one!
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

This is getting exciting! only one more game to go so we can have a all private championship. Is there anyway we can sneak Breck in so we can just do a round robin?
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

At least I know you can buy a Championship!

This will be great, a full private school championship, just like a private movie screening.

I wonder if you have to be invited to watch, gonna be great :lol: :lol: :lol:
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

Congrats to the Screaming Eagles on their BIG win!!!!

Great job girls, keep it going, so fun watching EP win
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

. Go Maple Grove!!!
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

Great game by MG knocking off Goliath.

Finally an all public championship, how refreshing, no entitlement with two highly skilled community based teams

Congrats EP and MG, good luck tomorrow
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

thegreatone99 wrote:Great game by MG knocking off Goliath.

Finally an all public championship, how refreshing, no entitlement with two highly skilled community based teams

Congrats EP and MG, good luck tomorrow
While I too am happy to see EP and Maple Grove in the final, I fail to see how this is "refreshing". The purpose of community hockey is to provide an opportunity for kids to play hockey, not to serve as a feeder system for the HS team. Instead of complaining about Blake or Hill stealing our players, I look at it as an opportunity for more girls to play hockey, and for that I am grateful.

For purely selfish reasons I was looking forward to an EP/HM final. There is a bit of history there at the X and I wanted EP to have a chance for redemption. EP played two flat games against HM at the X, losing by 1 goal each time. How sweet it would be to win a rematch for the championship.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

EPDad, congrats, it is good to see a Lake team again in the finals, as we have for so many years now. Also, the Tonka 3peat continues to stand alone. An EP/HM final would have been intense, but I think a final of any of the 4 semi-final teams would have been compelling. I sense that EP would gladly take any state championship, whether over HM or over Paducah. In any event, good luck to both teams and looking forward to a great game!