HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private School (Parochial) History
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Best of MN HS Hockey Forum Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockeyisthebest21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: SPA Reply with quote

Kodiak,
That is about all i know as well, and throw in Robin Larson too.

Knowlze

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: SPA Reply with quote

Mike Foley ran an excellent summer hockey school for young kids at SPA, probably one of best. It was very structured with great emphasis on fundamentals and technique. Video taped the kids, and went over technique and showed each kid things to work on.

Very disciplined, players went to one knee when instructor talked. Gave out hockey cards to certain kids daily. Had a small tournament the last days in groups based on skill level.

Don't know if it is still going, as a lot of the instructors were looking old 10 years ago.

Hockeyisthebest21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hockey school Reply with quote

It is still ran every summer, i think they are still doing pretty well at the camp. I think new instructors have been coming in but the format is still the same.

elliott70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Slappy Reply with quote

There was a Graham kid or Grammer that was good but I heard he was living somewhere just south of Hwy 2.

A Riopelle kid but he played in the later 70's.

Was there a Mattigan or something like that from Crookston - don't remember the year or if he was Cathedral or Central.

Edited by: elliott70 at: 3/10/05 10:42 pm
Zamman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

There was a strike in the Burnsville schoole district in the late 70's that caused some kids to transfer to AHA. My senior year a couple of kids who were sophomores came to the team who were pretty darn good. I wonder how good Burnsville would have been then. We also had an assistant coach who was a priest. After I left, they had a couple of good teams that competed with some of the better teams, but not well enough to get noticed. I know that in 1994? they played Mpls Roosevelt for the section championship and lost. The first coach at AHA was Bucky Kendig, then Mike Sack. Not sure after that.

starsalum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

Wow didnt know Sack was a coach.

Go Buffs

KodiakChew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

starsalum, same Mike Sack, the history teacher? That would make sense because he has been at AHA for awhile and was a really good hocke player. I think he was an all-american at D3, not sure what school though.

AHA 2002 & 2005 State Champions!

hockeyfanmn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

Zam and Kodiak - don't you think you should change your tag lines to include 2005 Girls State Champions as well??????

BELOW 0 ZERO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: that is sick Reply with quote

there is no private school tournament anymore girls... pull up yer skirts and see. there once was a time that it was ruled by #4 hehe-he.

got puck 2345

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

sack was a hockey coach?

starsalum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

Yes

Go Buffs

Zamman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

Yes, Mike Sack was a hockey coach for many years. He was an All-American at Augsburg. He also was and I think still is the boys tennis coach. He was an OK coach, he did not have much talent to work with. A lot of players came from Mpls back when I was there, and a few from West Bloomington. A lot of the guys I played with at my grade school in Mpls played in the parkboard league and moved to AHA. The ones that left AHA went to Mpls Central.....Which is where I would have ended up if I went the public school route.

Zamman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Slappy Reply with quote

There I changed mine.....:b

slapshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Began in 1965 Duluth Cathedral won the Championship 5 years in a row !

St. Paul Hill won in '70

Blake won in '71

Who knows after that?

VS maybe?

Standouts:

Duluth Cathedral Hill Toppers
Steve ( Pokey ) Trachsel 6'0" 190 pounds Defense Senior
Mike Randolf 5' 8" 155 pounds Center Senior
Steve Sertich 5'7" 140 pounds as a sophomore
Fred Paul, Gary Milich
Dennis Genereau, Coach

St. Paul Hill
Matt Conroy, Pat Conroy, Bob Young, John Shields

Benilde
Joe Wheaton

Crookston Cathedral
Paul Fontaine D, Gary Royal G, SL8o PSH8o 8o TER RW C.

Cretin
Joseph McDermott Andy Guzik

St Bernard's HS
John Olson goalie

Blake

St. Paul Academy

St. Thomas Academy

State Tournament Hockey Scoring Awards up to 1970

( 3 games )

Mike Randolf 13 points 1969 Duluth Cathedral

Gary Milich 13 points 1969 Duluth Cathedral
5 goals 8 assists

Thomas Coffman 8 assists 1966 Benilde

Phil Hoene 8 goals 1967 Duluth Cathedral

Single game up to 1970

13 goals 1969 Duluth Cathedral

Team totals up to 1970 ( 3 games )

55 points ( 28 goals and 27 assists) Duluth Cathedral

St Agnes High School- runner up in 1968

( standouts for St Agnes)
James Morin, Larry Doyle, Jerry O'Connor

St. Paul Brady ?

Steve Sertich from Duluth Cathedral tied the Tournament record in 1971 by scoring 5 goals against Breck in a consolation game.
Steve scored 3 goals against Crookston Cathedral earlier in a quarterfinal game but his team was defeated for the first time ever in an opening round game 5-3 !
Steve then scored another goal against goaltender Bill Lechner to help his team defeat Cretin for the consolation championship 5-2.

The record was set by Phil Hoene also of Duluth Cathedral in 1967 !

This would possibly have set a new record for the tourney with Sertich tallying 9 goals in 3 games at the tourney, unless anyone from Hill did better in 1970 !

Back to the attic to find out!

I'll be back!

S8o S

Edited by: slapshooter at: 3/11/05 3:51 am
elliott70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Phil Hoene - wow. I forgot that name.

Whatever happened to him.

HE was a hockey god.

elliott70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Slappy Reply with quote

No, I am not Wayne - you and most everyone on here knows my name.

What about the Grahmer (sp?) guy?????

slapshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Still in the attic!~~~~~>8o

I'll be back with the story of Gramer !

No doubt he was a puck jammer! 8)

In front of the net, you know you could bet!

His shot was known as "the HAMMER !!" :lol

Edited by: slapshooter at: 3/10/05 11:22 pm
elliott70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Who's in the attic? Hoene? or Grahmer?

Edited by: elliott70 at: 3/11/05 9:33 pm
slapshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

I'm in the attic!

Still diggin' up info.....8o

KodiakChew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

I should change mine too, but then again its girls hockey and this is a boys hockey chatboard. So I won't (even though I should for personal reasons:rollin ).

AHA 2002 & 2005 State Champions!

slapshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Yeah,

Too bad you guys don't seem to know anything about the

history of your team! :rollin :lol :evil :rollin :lol

S8o S

Zamman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

SS did you know that DeLaSalle had Hockey. I did, my dad played there in the 50's and his brother-in-law to be was his coach...

bluesbuddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: the ole stick through the blades trick... by VS Reply with quote

in mammories uv ole scout, mah-self wood lack to relate dis story:

hay slipbobber, mah-self gotza tell yews guys 'bout a story 'bout ole vid-scout. dis wuz a classic. back wendy slappy wuz play'in in ha ha school, ole vid-scout 'an mah-self were in da pee wees 'an one night wendy cathedral wuz play'in 'gainst grafton at da old barn in crooked town vid-scout came up wit a praktical joke witch wheeze still laugh 'bout to dis day.

yewz see we yewzed ta play boot huckey under da bleachers at da old reena 'an behind da old wooden bleachers wheeze wood also hunt fer coins 'an udder money dat fell out uv da fans pockets 'an subsequently fell true da cracks uv da bleachers onta da dirt below.

won night vid 'an mah-self were look'in fer coinage when vid noticed dat dare were gaping holes (worn away by skates) near da feet uv da benches where da oppos'in teams sat. yewz could actually stick yer hands true deeze holes 'an grab da skates uv da playerz dat were sitting on da lower bench, usually da next line to go out on da ice.

also under deeze bleachers were old dis-carded shafts frum broken huckey sticks.

da old light bulb went off in vids head and he said "hey bluesbuddy (won't yewz mah-self's real name)--- let's take dis broken stick 'an slip it true da hole 'an thread it true da skates uv deeze 4 guyz ready ta go on da ice."

so we did it very carefully so dey didn't knowz whatz wuz up, 'an den wheeze ran out ta da warming roomz ta watch da chaos dat ensued dur'in da next line change. 8o

playerz frum grafton were com'in off da ice, gasping fer air 'an da playerz in dae box were try'in ta git on da ice ta replace dem butt dey werez all locked togedder at da skates. da grafton coaches werez yell'in at doze playerz ta git on da ice 'an dey couldn't because dey were all joined at da feet lack a bunch uv siamese twins. :rollin

meanwhilez, dur'in da chaos, slapshooter 'an hiz cronies {teemmates} skated down inta da offenseive zone wit a 4 on 1 'an scored da eventual game winner, as da grafton spoilers were tree playerz short-handed. :lol

da cops 'an areena personnel werez called over to da bench 'an dey finally figured out watt happenstanced 'an patrolled behind da bleacherz da rest uv da game butt vid 'an mah-self werez long gone by den, hang'in wit da cute chicks 'an buy'in dem soda popz wit da coinage wheeze found beneath da bleacherz.

ever since dat night, doze holes were boarded up.:rollin

ole scout wuz quite da prankster in hiz day.

may he rest in pieces. :lol

:smokin hay slope slipper --- yewz gotza any stories 'bout da ole lucker roomz ware da ole senior bucaneerz played? yewz know --- dat toe knee schlitz guyz?8o

elliott70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Slappy
Went to best of and read most of it.
Thanks for pointing it out.
I have to print it when I get to the office.

slapshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: State Independent Hockey Tournament Reply with quote

Zamman,

Can you tell us anymore about his team?

S8o S

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Best of MN HS Hockey Forum Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links: