SPU vs Warroad - Two pretty good U19 AAA teams playing today

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

puckdreams

SPU vs Warroad - Two pretty good U19 AAA teams playing today

Post by puckdreams »

Both are exceptionally skilled at utilizing the MSHSL Eligibility/Transfer Policy to their advantage.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Was thinking the same thing. Who are we allowed to root for these days? Eden Praire isn't an option nor Proctor.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Oh no, here we go again. :roll:
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I didn't know who to cheer for until I got hear. After watching Marvin it was easy to cheer for SPU. After he dropped the "F bomb" on the big screen I watched his team derail and spend a large chunk of time in the box for foolish penalties. The worst when the team refused to shake the refs hands after the game and just skated off.
puckdreams

Post by puckdreams »

#2) The game was officiated appropriately. Penalties are penalties, regardless of how many have been called on each of respective teams. "Let them Play" Bla Bla. The rules are the same whenever the game takes place and whatever the trophy is at stake. I applaud these officials for doing their job!
puckdreams

Post by puckdreams »

Classy language Coach Marvin. Even classier to allow your players to not shake the refs hand's!
puckdreams

Post by puckdreams »

After the Game:
Assistant Warroad Coach Shaugabay was heard on the MSBN Radio Network complaining about the amount of penalties, stating that "the Referees took that one way from us".
Last edited by puckdreams on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

puckdreams wrote:After the Game:
Assistant Warroad Coach Shaugabay was heard on the MSBN Radio Network complaining about the amount of penalties, stating that the Referees took that one way from us.
Anyone want to argue the better team didn't win? SPU had double the shots and outplayed Warroad in everything but goal all day long. Warroad played physical (looked like my HM team) and sometimes you get those refs that call those left and right. That's what happened today. But doesn't change the fact the best team won.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Warroad has no argument IMO. Every penalty I watched was legit. Hard to argue when you two hand someone after the whistle. After awhile I was looking to see if warroad was wearing black glasses with tape in the middle
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Sparlimb wrote:
Assistant Warroad Coach Shaugabay was heard on the MSBN Radio Network complaining about the amount of penalties, stating that the Referees took that one way from us.
Anyone want to argue the better team didn't win? SPU had double the shots and outplayed Warroad in everything but goal all day long. Warroad played physical (looked like my HM team) and sometimes you get those refs that call those left and right. That's what happened today. But doesn't change the fact the best team won.
I only had a problem with one of the calls. Take that one away and it's still 8 penalties though. Just not gonna work in state semifinals, especially when you consider how many were from Warroad's best two players. Warroad isn't deep enough to take those girls off the ice that much. SPU controlled the play for most of the game. The Warriors would get little spurts of pressure but never had the maintained pressure like St. Paul. Absolutely, SPU played better than Warroad today. They played smarter, had better depth, controlled the play, etc. Anyway you break it down they were better.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Lots of legit calls, and many they missed. SPU ran the Warroad goalie 3 times, one time with an intentional knee to the head. Both teams cheap IMO. Fans and parents turning their backs on Warroad during player line ups, Warroad returning the favor during handshake. Yuck. Can't root for either...
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

Story on girls hockey hub now has one of the refs married to a SPU employee.
kicksave33

Post by kicksave33 »

Yep, and although the story doesn't mention it, ref is a donor to the school, and their kid used to played there. Ooof.
Ever if it had no effect, it looks bad for SPU considering that they tied the game on the PP, then won the game on the PP.
http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=980516
kicksave33

Post by kicksave33 »

Factually speaking, the team's 2nd leading scorer left her school and transfered to this team for her senior year. And the 4th leading scorer came down from Duluth a couple yrs ago. Remembering how they got to state two years ago with their emails, do any of these stories surprise anybody?
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

kicksave33 wrote:Factually speaking, the team's 2nd leading scorer left her school and transfered to this team for her senior year. And the 4th leading scorer came down from Duluth a couple yrs ago. Remembering how they got to state two years ago with their emails, do any of these stories surprise anybody?
Ring, Ring, Ring - Hello, this is pot, I am calling the kettle black!
thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
kicksave33 wrote:Factually speaking, the team's 2nd leading scorer left her school and transfered to this team for her senior year. And the 4th leading scorer came down from Duluth a couple yrs ago and moved into a family's basement. Remembering how they got to state two years ago with their emails, do any of these stories surprise anybody?
Ring, Ring, Ring - Hello, this is pot, I am calling the kettle black!

This is rich :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

DID YOU WATCH THE GAME??? Watching those penalty calls on the big screen and on the news highlights make it obviously clear that those were good calls. OBVIOUS. I'm sorry a good Warroad team lost their composure and in the process lost a good game. I'm sorry the team that was better today has to have the Warroad coaches and fans take away from the win they deservedly earned by this sore loser bs.
And as for illegal/ineligible/cheater comments against Warroad Proctor SPU Blake - do you guys honestly think the MSHSL (and more importantly, opposing coaches) wouldn't address any actual impropriety? Do the losing teams and teams at home and in the stands sleep better thinking they were wrongly screwed out of their rightful state titles?
And damn, why don't the AA teams get this bs? Back to the game, gentlemen. After saying congrats to Warroad and Proctor on their great seasons.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Since the Strib wrote about it, feel free to discuss the ref situation, but can we please keep from turning every thread into rumors about who moved where and when?
kicksave33

Post by kicksave33 »

Sure. But you're on this bored a lot and you're a decent writer -- so certainly you know the difference between rumor and fact.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Sparlimb wrote:
Warroads nine penulties would cut down on zone time a awful lot, and that would have a direct impact in Warroads shot count. Not a good indicator if that's your rational for thinking the better team won.The refs did impact the outcome of this game. The call in the last 2 min was terrible, like a few others before that. This also wasn't the only game the officiating was bad in. Warroad did let in a few weak goals in. I also think Warroad is deeper in line strength. But when comparing the two teams, SPU had the slight edge in the nets, and this is where the game was won. Refer to the OMG/Hill game from last night for instance. The Warroad goalie was athletic, but not technically sound when comparing the two, and it cost them in this particular game.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Does it bother anyone else that people who don't watch or attend the games feel qualified to judge the quality of play or officiating? Smh.
Warroad took 7 penalties this morning. 7.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:DID YOU WATCH THE GAME??? Watching those penalty calls on the big screen and on the news highlights make it obviously clear that those were good calls. OBVIOUS. I'm sorry a good Warroad team lost their composure and in the process lost a good game. I'm sorry the team that was better today has to have the Warroad coaches and fans take away from the win they deservedly earned by this sore loser bs.
And as for illegal/ineligible/cheater comments against Warroad Proctor SPU Blake - do you guys honestly think the MSHSL (and more importantly, opposing coaches) wouldn't address any actual impropriety? Do the losing teams and teams at home and in the stands sleep better thinking they were wrongly screwed out of their rightful state titles?
And damn, why don't the AA teams get this bs? Back to the game, gentlemen. After saying congrats to Warroad and Proctor on their great seasons.
I'll back this. I only watch girls hockey during the state tournament and was able to catch a good half of this game. At times, I was very surprised with the physicality and Warroad's inability to keep their hands down every time they raced to a puck. I have a northern team bias with all high school sports and was pulling for Warroad's, but in the time I watched I saw 4 or 5 penalties against Warroad and felt all were earned. It seemed like every loose puck Warroad raced to they were hitting SPU girls high, in the face quite a bit. They refused to change the whole way through.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Warroad earned every penalty. IMO the refs had no choice but call them because they were so blatant. I thought SPU was better regardless. Their top line was skilled. Won't matter today unfortunately when they play the top triple A team in the cities today for the state title
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Does it bother anyone else that people who don't watch or attend the games feel qualified to judge the quality of play or officiating? Smh.
Warroad took 7 penalties this morning. 7.
That's not nice to say. Big screens and replays don't lie (or have conflict of interest). Besides refs in many sports use the replays/TVs to make close calls all the time. It's like if I said your opinion didn't matter because your bias towards privates. I'm sure your not that way however. Nothing over the past dozen or so posts from you would indicate that what so ever. Just sayin...