Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 am

Conboy out at Rosemount. Unsure of the details of his departure. New coach has not been named yet.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Snap Happy wrote:Conboy out at Rosemount. Unsure of the details of his departure. New coach has not been named yet.
They're 1-51 the last two years, maybe it's time to co-op?

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:12 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:Conboy out at Rosemount. Unsure of the details of his departure. New coach has not been named yet.
They're 1-51 the last two years, maybe it's time to co-op?
I was secretly hoping that might happen, but the numbers are back up this year so I doubt it will. It's been a rough few years here and numbers has played a role. We have some strong 7th and 8th graders that appear to be committed to staying around and a couple good girls sprinkled throughout 9-12. We unfortunately lost 3 good 9th graders to other schools this year that would have contributed to future success. Looking forward to better times that's for sure with the new crew coming in.

Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Former Roseau Ram and St. Cloud State Huskies Amanda Monkman named head coach at River Lakes.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 am

Hansonbrother wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Tony Scheid resigned from Stillwater today, will link the pretty depressing strib story later....
Pioneer Press already has a story out, along with the Hub and the Stillwater paper. Sad how all this comes out in a down year for the program, his very first in 14 YEARS! Losing is not fun, but it certainly isn't reason to attack the coach or his family. I'm not a close friend, but I talk to Tony from time to time, and I've known him for several years. I've never seen him act inappropriately at a practice (yes, I have watched) or during a game. Nor have I ever heard anyone else complain either. The worse part is that the parents, or whomever, attacked his family. Awful.
In my opinion, Tony is a good guy, and will land a new coaching job very quickly (if he wants one).
I am saddened by this news, but not surprised. I've heard nothing but complaining about how bad things are in Stillwater now. The funny thing is, when Stillwater was winning state tournaments, Tony could do no wrong. People there couldn't love him enough. Nothing has changed with the coach, the only differences are more losses than wins. Granted, part of his headaches now are having his own kids coming through the program. That is a tough tough situation, and never fair to the coach or his kid(s). Parents are brutal when their child isn't taken over a coaches kid. So Stillwater isn't as good now as they were a few years ago. Is it possible that maybe the kids aren't as good during these years as they were in the past? Is it possible that maybe the kids today don't care about tradition like they used to? Hey parents, how much does you kid and their teammates work at becoming the best during the off season?
Sometimes the biggest benefits a coach brings a team aren't measured in W's or L's. Wow.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am

Just heard a couple of things over the weekend...was hoping for some clarification here or on the Hub but none yet. Heard something about 6 or so Varsity players available for their section game due to suspensions and then some parents blaming the coach about a curfew for some bad behavior? Yuk.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:27 pm

massalsa wrote:Just heard a couple of things over the weekend...was hoping for some clarification here or on the Hub but none yet. Heard something about 6 or so Varsity players available for their section game due to suspensions and then some parents blaming the coach about a curfew for some bad behavior? Yuk.
Maybe someone closer to the situation will give us the details. If this was a boy's team every metro news station and paper would have covered it.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:20 pm

massalsa wrote:Just heard a couple of things over the weekend...was hoping for some clarification here or on the Hub but none yet. Heard something about 6 or so Varsity players available for their section game due to suspensions and then some parents blaming the coach about a curfew for some bad behavior? Yuk.
Yuk is right. Parents were blaming the coach? How could they when the players did the vandalizing? I wonder if the parents blaming the coach are the same ones who wanted Tony out last year?
2015-16 win total = 9
2016-17 win total = 9
Someone mentioned on this thread (or another) last summer that Stillwater was going after former alum Kristina King for head coach. I don't know if that's true or not, but I cannot see why she would want to go to a volatile program unless a large dump truck full of money was backed up into her driveway. However, Stillwater has a very good 12A team and arguably the top 10A team in the state (per the YHH). Maybe she would make the move if there is seemingly very good talent on the way for years to come. After next year, Centennial will go back to the middle of the pack, if they already haven't started sliding that way this year.

zambonidriver

From a friend of mine

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

My friend has a daughter who Was not suspended and sent me this

These girls were suspended for the Roseville section game:

4 varsity D suspended

3 varsity F suspended

2 varsity G suspended

1 varsity F out with mono

Other JV players suspended too

Nobody is blaming the coach for this, parents and kids looking in the mirror to make better decisions.

READYtoPLAY

Post by READYtoPLAY » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Lace'emUp wrote:
Yuk is right. Parents were blaming the coach? How could they when the players did the vandalizing? I wonder if the parents blaming the coach are the same ones who wanted Tony out last year?
2015-16 win total = 9
2016-17 win total = 9
Someone mentioned on this thread (or another) last summer that Stillwater was going after former alum Kristina King for head coach. I don't know if that's true or not, but I cannot see why she would want to go to a volatile program unless a large dump truck full of money was backed up into her driveway. However, Stillwater has a very good 12A team and arguably the top 10A team in the state (per the YHH). Maybe she would make the move if there is seemingly very good talent on the way for years to come. After next year, Centennial will go back to the middle of the pack, if they already haven't started sliding that way this year.

Didn't Coach King already get the large dump truck full of money from the Centennials :wink:

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 am

READYtoPLAY wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
2015-16 win total = 9
2016-17 win total = 9

Didn't Coach King already get the large dump truck full of money from the Centennials :wink:
It's hard to believe Centennial was ranked 8th in the state almost the entire season when 12 of their 15 wins came against teams that finished below 500. Their 3 "signature" wins were Spring Lake Park, Eagan, and Thief River Falls. For Centennial's sake, I hope the dump truck was a toy size "tonka" truck. Their true ranking is somewhere between the current KRACH rankings of 13th and QRF rank of 20th.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am

Lace'emUp wrote:It's hard to believe Centennial was ranked 8th in the state almost the entire season when 12 of their 15 wins came against teams that finished below 500. Their 3 "signature" wins were Spring Lake Park, Eagan, and Thief River Falls. For Centennial's sake, I hope the dump truck was a toy size "tonka" truck. Their true ranking is somewhere between the current KRACH rankings of 13th and QRF rank of 20th.
Back in the early days of girls high school hockey you could go a long ways with just one dominant first line. Obviously that's no longer the case.

puckdreams

Post by puckdreams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am

The 2016-17 Centennial team was plenty good. They outshot a very strong and deep Maple Grove team 41-24, in their section semi final game last night. Without very strong goaltending Maple Grove loses that contest!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:40 pm

puckdreams wrote:The 2016-17 Centennial team was plenty good. They outshot a very strong and deep Maple Grove team 41-24, in their section semi final game last night. Without very strong goaltending Maple Grove loses that contest!
Yes they were a good team, having won all 15 games they were supposed to win. But looking back, no real "signature wins" against top-ranked teams, losing all 12 despite having one of the most talented forward lines in the State.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am

Dave Herbst retiring at Benilde. Any word on replacement?