02 Os (formerly machine orange 02) played 01/02 Os today....

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mavs

Post by Mavs »

InigoMontoya wrote:I'm sure the MAP team was filled with quality players, but unless that team was also a title contender...
Pretty big difference in maturity with this team this year (mostly 8th and some 7th) vs last year (mostly 7th and some 6th grade) vs older kids. If those two played again this year the maturity difference would be significantly less and someone stated the shots were pretty much doubled up as it was.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Did they play JWCD last week?
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

InigoMontoya wrote:Did they play JWCD last week?
The 02's have played them twice so far. The 02's won 3 to 1 in the first game and then 2 to 1 the second game. Both games were very competitive and could have went either way.
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

I, personally, think that the 02 OsMachine would have a great shot of winning the National Tournament this weekend if it were in the field. But my opinion is clearly biased so should be taken with a grain of salt. Some contend that the team would have no shot...so, let's put our inductive reasoning skills to the test! I will present some facts and we should be able to induce a credible conclusion. Here we go!

Fact 1- There are 16 teams in the 14U Tier 1 National Tourney. Some of the teams include Chicago Mission, CYA, St. Louis Lady Blues, Pittsburgh Pens Elite, East Coast Wizards, to name a few.

Fact 2- CYA played in the Duluth Ice Breakers Tourney this year. They beat Minnetonka 2-1 in pool play. They beat Edina Green 3-1 in the Championship. On a Sunday. Edina skates 11 girls on Sundays. MN Association Hockey is considered Tier II.

Fact 3- 02 OsMachine played the West Coast Selects in NY last summer. Scores were 5-1 and 2-1 in favor of OsMachine. West Coast Selects is made up of the best girls off Mission, CYA, St. Louis Lady Blues, and Detroit area's best 02, plus some other solid players. They will be playing in Blaine this weekend.

Fact 4- 02 OsMachine played Canada's best 02 AAA team in NY last summer as well. We played them twice. Won the first one in OT and lost the second one in OT. That team is made up of the best girls in the Toronto area. Some of the girls play for Durham West Lightning. Durham's record vs. teams in the USA Hockey Tier I National Tournament this past season was 3-2.

Fact 5- The East Coast Wizards' (the #1 ranked 14U Tier I team in the US) record vs. the rest of the field in the National Tournament this weekend was 6-5-1 this past season.

Now I know nu2hockey's argument is going to be, "But OsMachine just played the 02s and the Tier I National tournament consists of 01s too!"

So here is Fact 6- As Northwoods pointed out the 02 OsMachine just played the JWCD. JWCD is primarily 01 birth year players. No 02s and maybe an 00 or two. Games were fantastic and could have gone either way.

Here is an opinion on my part. I think that JWCD team is the best 01 team in MN. Which by default, would make them one of the best 01 teams in the US.

Now I have wasted enough time on this exercise. But, from it, I can induce that the 02 OsMachine would have a shot this weekend if it were playing contrary to nu2hockey's definitive stance.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

out of modesty
Oh, that's what that is...
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

would the 02's compete?...absolutely! Win it? I don't believe they would...the main reason for that is that it takes 6 games to win the national tourney...don't underestimate how difficult that is.. the 02's (for the most part) are coming out of assoc hockey where they play 3/4 games in a tourney..big difference

a couple of things in their favor:
1. no travel
2. the refs: an anomaly occurs at the national tourney, normal winter Tier 1 games are crazy physical(think bantam b at its worst) even at u14. However, at the national tourney, the refs are being evaluated and they know it. There is a strong tendency to see ever little possible infraction to be called. Sometimes it becomes a game of specialty teams.

The 01's being involved, I think is a bit of a wash . There will be some size and strength difference with some players, but a lot of the best 01's are playing u16. The difference between u16 and u14 is huge. Think Mn high school vs Wi high school.

as a side note: it is amusing how the forum has its annual rite-of-passage, every year u12 parents come onto the forum; thin-skinned,defensive,strongly opinionated, and extrapolating the future based on u12 success. This year it's the 02's, last year 01's, before that 00's,99's etc next year the 03's will join the party.. It makes for a lot of fun and we still get to go watch the kiddos play
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

nu2hockey wrote:would the 02's compete?...absolutely! Win it? I don't believe they would...the main reason for that is that it takes 6 games to win the national tourney...don't underestimate how difficult that is.. the 02's (for the most part) are coming out of assoc hockey where they play 3/4 games in a tourney..big difference

1. no travel
2. the refs: an anomaly occurs at the national tourney, normal winter Tier 1 games are crazy physical(think bantam b at its worst) even at u14. However, at the national tourney, the refs are being evaluated and they know it. There is a strong tendency to see ever little possible infraction to be called. Sometimes it becomes a game of specialty teams.

The 01's being involved, I think is a bit of a wash . There will be some size and strength difference with some players, but a lot of the best 01's are playing u16. The difference between u16 and u14 is huge. Think Mn high school vs Wi high school.

as a side note: it is amusing how the forum has its annual rite-of-passage, every year u12 parents come onto the forum; thin-skinned,defensive,strongly opinionated, and extrapolating the future based on u12 success. This year it's the 02's, last year 01's, before that 00's,99's etc next year the 03's will join the party.. It makes for a lot of fun and we still get to go watch the kiddos play
Now we are just talking semantics. Nobody is saying they would for sure win the National Title...in hockey the best team doesn't always win anyway. Saying they would compete for a National Title simply means they are worthy of the discussion.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

nu2hockey wrote:would the 02's compete?...absolutely! Win it? I don't believe they would...the main reason for that is that it takes 6 games to win the national tourney...don't underestimate how difficult that is.. the 02's (for the most part) are coming out of assoc hockey where they play 3/4 games in a tourney..big difference

1. no travel

Not sure what is more interesting;

reading posts about whether or not a team could win a tournament they are not in...

reading posts about whether a JR-A Gold team would beat a AA HS team...

or

reading post from a person who believes they have the upper hand in knowledge on what tier 1 hockey is all about, as if no one else could ever understand.

Typically when a person lacks knowledge in certain area, that person ends their posts or comments, with an attack on an individual and/or group that doesn't agree or doesn't respect their opinion.

Not quite sure who your last paragraph was directed at, but how ironic is it, that by posting it in the condescending way that you did, it places you in the same categories or at least has you fitting the same descriptions, at which you are trying to place on the people that disagree with you. Now that is amusing.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I like the idea behind this team. A lot of quality hockey players, with quality coaching, all pushing each other at a high level - though tough on girls that also want to excel in fall and/or spring sports; though not impossible, as some are doing just that. They are a lot of fun to watch - hopefully they'll continue to find opportunities to play locally.

I'm not sure how the newby description would apply to this group; this team has been the topic of many threads over the last few years. Just last year they were accused of chasing 12u trophies - quite a transformation in the last 10 months from (and I think fairly) unsure if they could compete at the 14U level in local summer tourneys to (and I think a stretch) sure they could compete at the 14U level in the national championships.

I certainly appreciate the E Bush Lake swagger, just a caution not to sound disrespectful - maybe a little reality check on the statement of all (or even the toned-down 'most') of the top 30 02's are on this list. Just cherry-picking the obvious: are there no 02s on the Andover 12U team, or OMG? are there no 02s on the Anoka 15 team? The less obvious: is it impossible that one or two very, very good players may exist on teams that had a little less success? Nobody from the east side? maybe a kid that can play, who was unlucky enough to be born of parents that don't care much for orange?
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

InigoMontoya wrote:I like the idea behind this team. A lot of quality hockey players, with quality coaching, all pushing each other at a high level - though tough on girls that also want to excel in fall and/or spring sports; though not impossible, as some are doing just that. They are a lot of fun to watch - hopefully they'll continue to find opportunities to play locally.

I'm not sure how the newby description would apply to this group; this team has been the topic of many threads over the last few years. Just last year they were accused of chasing 12u trophies - quite a transformation in the last 10 months from (and I think fairly) unsure if they could compete at the 14U level in local summer tourneys to (and I think a stretch) sure they could compete at the 14U level in the national championships.

I certainly appreciate the E Bush Lake swagger, just a caution not to sound disrespectful - maybe a little reality check on the statement of all (or even the toned-down 'most') of the top 30 02's are on this list. Just cherry-picking the obvious: are there no 02s on the Andover 12U team, or OMG? are there no 02s on the Anoka 15 team? The less obvious: is it impossible that one or two very, very good players may exist on teams that had a little less success? Nobody from the east side? maybe a kid that can play, who was unlucky enough to be born of parents that don't care much for orange?
Solid post.

Just want to point out, if orange is not your color, no worries, the team wears white now:).
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Zamboni spotted last night at FL arena playing goalie vs BA team. He got the win 9-8. =D> Father son game.
Last edited by old goalie85 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Careful. If someone you don't know walks up to you out of the blue asking, are you OG85, you may be getting served.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Random thoughts, many of which seemed as related to this thread as any other:

In seeing the NCAA women's basketball results, it seems to me that what UConn has done, though very impressive, isn't good for NCAA women's basketball.

In seeing what the Minnesota girls did in Blaine, it seems to me both very impressive and good for MN girls hockey; it also serves as validation of the proportion of MN girls on the U18 team. I've read a bunch of posts regarding the creation of a superteam of allstars - I get the excitement of pondering how great they'd be, but why do it? If three teams of MN girls get to the final four teams in the country, aren't we giving 60 MN girls an opportunity at hockey at it's highest national level? Why would we choose to pare that down to 20 MN girls getting that experience?

Zero chatter about the Selects tourney in St Cloud. A couple observations: at the 02 level the two teams in the championship were each about half Machine-to-Os kids; two or three or four of those kids on each team were top players on those teams; the other five or six or seven fit in nicely with the other nine or so players on their teams. Also, in contradiction to posts over the last few years stating that, with very few exceptions, the top 80 kids at each age group are in St Cloud that weekend - 1/3 of the M-to-O team was not in St Cloud - if half, or 2/3 of the top players are there, still very impressive. Also, isn't it fun to see these top players playing against each other.

Tying these two thoughts together: I have stated that I think what the 02 M-to-O team has done, and is doing, is impressive, and if it works for that group of coaches, parents, and players, kudos. However, with the caliber and number of talented girls in the state, possibly individually and certainly in aggregate, a better model might be to have several quality programs that compete with and against each other locally - maintaining the high caliber of hockey for a greater number of kids. Concentrating quality on a single team leaves that team few options but to travel to Toronto or Boston, which as we could probably mostly agree is expensive, but as has been illustrated in Blaine, not likely to be better competition. After this weekend, the rest of North America knows they will have to come to Minnesota if they want to compete against the best.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
massalsa wrote:GD31, I have heard that the 02 OS Elite Selects roster at least 30 or more kids. That is a LOT of "Elite" 2002 talent the OS Elite Selects Jungles have essentially locked up and taken off the market so to speak. If you have 20-25 kids that are 2001's on the JWCD team (from a weaker year?) and 30+ kids that are 2002's on two different teams not called 01/02 Os you are going to have somewhat of a diluted talent pool for any remaining teams within 60 minutes of the metro area.
I'm on the outside looking in, and though I know Winny and Os run a great program, but why would 20-25 kids want to try and fight for time on the 2001 team? Where's the playing time for girls who are not in the top 15? Regarding the 30+ kids who are 2002, are all 30 very high end so that they can have 2 equal teams? Or is there an upper and lower team? Or, do they have one team with a lot of 2nd tier practice players who might fill in on the tournament teams from time to time? Please define the make-up of these teams - just trying to sort these teams out.

Whatever the case might, the point for signing up for summer club team or training is that you're hoping your kid is having fun, and is getting the best possible coaching for the amount of money you're willing to spend.

Though I doubt they have all the top talent "locked-down", I would be willing to bet each team has 3 or 4 forwards who do most of the scoring, 2-3 very good defenseman, and a good goalie. The rest of the players are role players. No different than any other top AAA team - they just have better players than most other teams. The list of players who travel to Boston will tell us for the most part who their top players are.

How would these Os teams fair against the 01/02 Blades team?
What's the list of tournaments these teams will participate in this spring/summer? It would be fun to watch a game or two.
Also, if these teams set up scrimmages with the Blades, Capitols, Young Americans, Mission, or some other top-top teams, please let the board know where and when. I'd be more willing to watch that rather than blow-outs at the Meltdown (or wherever).
The O/S Jungels team is playing an O/S Spring League game on 3/29 at 7:00 in New Hope against "Moundsview," which is mostly a group of gals who played varsity last year for the Mustangs. Keep in mind the nucleus of the MV squad will be juniors this fall (Quam, A. Brodt, Robert, etc.), while the Jungels team is all 8th and 9th graders to be save the younger Jungels.
What was the result of this game?
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

The O/S Jungels team is playing an O/S Spring League game on 3/29 at 7:00 in New Hope against "Moundsview," which is mostly a group of gals who played varsity last year for the Mustangs. Keep in mind the nucleus of the MV squad will be juniors this fall (Quam, A. Brodt, Robert, etc.), while the Jungels team is all 8th and 9th graders to be save the younger Jungels.

[/quote] What was the result of this game?[/quote]

02 OsMachine played them twice that week- Winning 3-2 and 6-2.
zambonidriver

ass kicked

Post by zambonidriver »

01/02 got ass kicked by superior team. Still don't agree with the way they do things. But have to admit they are a damn good team. Got punched in the mouth and did not no how to respond. Happened against 03 MN team also Lindsey is a great coach with great philosophy. A lot of the 01/02 selects failed to get better either playing JV or 15's will see as summer progresses if the 01/02 selects develop or fall to the wayside.
InigoMontoya

Re: ass kicked

Post by InigoMontoya »

zambonidriver wrote:01/02 got ass kicked by superior team. Still don't agree with the way they do things. But have to admit they are a damn good team. Got punched in the mouth and did not no how to respond. Happened against 03 MN team also Lindsey is a great coach with great philosophy. A lot of the 01/02 selects failed to get better either playing JV or 15's will see as summer progresses if the 01/02 selects develop or fall to the wayside.
Yikes, that's quite a turn around from this time last year. Are you sure it isn't just the competition in the spring league? Things may look up a little as the Northland tourney season gets under way.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Re: ass kicked

zambonidriver wrote:01/02 got ass kicked by superior team. Still don't agree with the way they do things. But have to admit they are a damn good team. Got punched in the mouth and did not no how to respond. Happened against 03 MN team also Lindsey is a great coach with great philosophy. A lot of the 01/02 selects failed to get better either playing JV or 15's will see as summer progresses if the 01/02 selects develop or fall to the wayside.
He is alive!!!! Welcome back ZD!
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

No excuses the team was terrible. Against Lindsey's team it was effort lost every battle and race to the puck. Same thing against Jungels. Effort was better against JWCD and Zumwinkle still not where it should have been.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

zambonidriver wrote:No excuses the team was terrible. Against Lindsey's team it was effort lost every battle and race to the puck. Same thing against Jungels. Effort was better against JWCD and Zumwinkle still not where it should have been.
Hey, I know some people don't like to hear it, but that 03 team is for real. They are fast, skilled and very gritty. As with any team at their current age level, they will continue to get stronger as the year goes on. Over the next year, they will close the gap and there will be some seriously fun games played between the teams. The 02 OS and 01/02 OS should not overlook them at any point. Heck, the 01 OS better not overlook them either.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

At selects Lindsey and I sat and talked hockey for a couple of hours. I love his philosophy! I love aggressive play take away time and space don't play passive attack, attack, attack! Extremely positive guy!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Hey Zam any updates for us on the lawsuits?
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

wolfman wrote:Hey Zam any updates for us on the lawsuits?
Player was removed from team.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

zambonidriver wrote:No excuses the team was terrible. Against Lindsey's team it was effort lost every battle and race to the puck. Same thing against Jungels. Effort was better against JWCD and Zumwinkle still not where it should have been.
The OS Ziegler - OS Zumwinkle game was pretty good. 3-1 to the older girls. I think once the Zumwinkle team got used to the higher speed of play it was even.

That said, the Ziegler team had one of its best players in the box for 14 minutes of game time due to a major penalty, which evened things out for a bit.

Given the timing of that tournament (end of season, right near Spring Break) I wouldn't worry that much about the performance.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Will the rematch be on Pay-per-view?

The coaches can get bulletin board material in this thread. The press conference should be as good as the game. :lol: