02 Os (formerly machine orange 02) played 01/02 Os today....

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Actually I paid more than you did and am very happy with the return on money. I was curious about the additional fees for practice time and tournaments. If your practice schedule is anything like it was with MM it is quite time consuming and expensive. I know that Winny has a set amount of ice for her developmental teams and if teams want additional ice they have to pay for it themselves. I know how hectic the spring time is just wondering how you guys do it.
I added another tab to my spreadsheet!! if you divide the total cost by the cumulative number of hours (practice ice, games, futures, dry land via the 8 week program, etc...) it works out to about $16 per hour. That does not include travel expenses. Pretty good value. All coaches are unpaid.
So what you are saying is you are not practicing extra at MM

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 pm

massalsa wrote:ZD. I do not know all the girls but here are a couple that I have heard about and seen. I feel stronger about some more than others but do not want to necessarily rank them. The underlined is a 2021 or 2022 candidate.

I also think that there are a couple of candidates on the 01/02 Os and also 2 class of 2020 kids that have shown themselves to be viable long term candidates on the JWCD (2001 8th graders).

HockeyDude20 wrote:Here is what the 02 OsMachine team looks like for the upcoming season:

1. Albrecht, Lakeville South 12UA 2. Bayless, Tonka 15UA Black 3. Bourgerie, NWC 15UA 4. Bowlby, Edina Green 15A 5. Chorske, Edina Green 12A 6. Fisher, Lakeville North JV 7. Guilday, Tonka Black 12A 8. Habisch, Buffalo Black 15A 9. Hackley, Wayzata Blue 15A 10. Halverson, Edina Green 12A 11. G. HEndrickson, Edina Green 12A 12. L. Hendrickson, Edina Green 12A 13. T. Jungels, Edina Green 15A 14. V. Jungels, Edina Green 12A 15. Langseth, EP Varsity 16. Lemke, NWC 15A 17. Little, Andover 15A 18. Malone, Armstrong Varsity 19. Maloney, Lakeville South Varsity 20. Martin, Tonka Black 15A 21. Martinson, Apple Valley Varsity 22. McNeil, Shakopee 12A 23. Melz, Tonka Black 15A 24. Nicholson, Tonka Black 15A 25. Parent, Choice League 26. Qualley, Andover 15A 27. Skelton, Cambridge Varsity 28. Swingle, St. Cloud Varsity 29. Urban, Wayzata Blue 15A 30. Ziemer, Chaska/Chan 12A.

30 skaters. Goalies are Gilgosch from Centennial, LaRose from NWC, and Spring from Chicago area.
Pick your finalists now and we can look back in a few years to see if any of them made it

observer

Post by observer » Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 pm

That's two teams. Break em up.

massalsa

Toronto tourney...

Post by massalsa » Mon May 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Saw via an instragram post on my kids phone that the MachineOS took down Toronto tourney.

HD20 or others in the know (even thru friends of friends of enemies) please let us know what happened...

HockeyDude20

Re: Toronto tourney...

Post by HockeyDude20 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm

massalsa wrote:Saw via an instragram post on my kids phone that the MachineOS took down Toronto tourney.

HD20 or others in the know (even thru friends of friends of enemies) please let us know what happened...
We were up there this weekend. It was a great tournament. It was an all US final which I am sure they were not hoping for. OsMachine vs. Big Dogs. Mavs, you will find it interesting to know that the Big Dogs team is from Boston and most of the team was East Coast Wizard players. They happened to win the 14U Tier 1 Championship in Blaine. The coaches on that team were great guys and we enjoyed meeting them and playing them twice. The head coach mentioned that this Bog Dogs roster is better than their East Coast Wizards team as the bring in some other Boston area girls and lose some of their weaker ECW players. We beat them in pool play 3-0. It was a much closer game than that. We scored a soft goal very early then scored the third goal late in the game. We won 4-3 in the final. Another great game.

The competition as a whole was the best we have seen at the 02 level. There were 6 teams in the tournament. Here is the schedule for anyone interested:

http://www.durhamhockeyinstitute.com/ttg-schedule

DHI was the host team. Toronto area girls along with girls from greater Ontario. They were the weakest of a very strong group. They were very big and we had trouble with their physical play. We beat them 2-0.

Blades with Braids is a Toronto based team. They were very good. We beat them 4-0 but they had a hard time staying out of the box.

Big Dogs- See above

Toronto Wizards- Mostly girls that play for Brampton and Durham- Toronto area club teams in the winter. They are a huge, physical team. We lost to them in pool play 2-1. We split with them last year in NAPS/Rochester.

East Coast Selects/Ontario. Mostly Canadian girls from greater Ontario but a couple Detroit girls, a couple Pittsburgh girls that I saw. We lost to them in pool play 3-2.

West Coast Selects had to back out at the last minute as Chicago Mission had their tryouts and they have a handful of Mission girls on their team. They would have been right in the thick of it.

Only the top two seeds moved on- OsMachine and Big Dogs. As you can see from the results there was not a single dominant team. It was a great tournament and the girls were very proud to win it. That collection of teams this weekend had all of the top 02 teams in North America there. West Coast Selects is one of the top that couldn't make it because of scheduling. Sask Grrrowl has a really good 02 team that we suggested to them that they try make it but they had a conflict. It was a great tournament.

There were some other MN teams at different birth years that went as well. I think they had a good time, too.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks for the update HD20. Congrats on the win. I believe that it is good for us as a state of girls hockey when our girls (any of them) are successful in tournaments outside of MN. Also good to find out in a sort of backwards way how our other teams might have stacked up when comparing each of our past results with MachineOS (both 01/02 & other). If that makes ANY sense at all.

You mentioned how big lots of the teams were. Would you say that many were underskilled compared to their size? Or did they play a style of hockey that was exploitable at times with the speed and skill of your girls? Any kids on other teams that would slot in with what some might consider the best 4-5 kids on your team?

This may be a reach but how might the 01/02 Os girls have done? Who scored most of your goals? Lastly, was there an all tourney team?

Sorry for all the questions...again, congrats on a great result...go MINNESOTA!!!

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Awesome win, love it

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Curious about west cost selects as my daughter is going to be playing with them in July and August.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm

zambonidriver wrote:Curious about west cost selects as my daughter is going to be playing with them in July and August.
Very strong team. The 02 OS beat them 5 to 1 in pool play and then 1 to 0 in the Championship Game in the Chicago Shootout - systems were clicking for OS;).

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:50 pm

massalsa wrote:Thanks for the update HD20. Congrats on the win. I believe that it is good for us as a state of girls hockey when our girls (any of them) are successful in tournaments outside of MN. Also good to find out in a sort of backwards way how our other teams might have stacked up when comparing each of our past results with MachineOS (both 01/02 & other). If that makes ANY sense at all.

You mentioned how big lots of the teams were. Would you say that many were underskilled compared to their size? Or did they play a style of hockey that was exploitable at times with the speed and skill of your girls? Any kids on other teams that would slot in with what some might consider the best 4-5 kids on your team?

This may be a reach but how might the 01/02 Os girls have done? Who scored most of your goals? Lastly, was there an all tourney team?

Sorry for all the questions...again, congrats on a great result...go MINNESOTA!!!
massalsa, for the size of of the girls on these Canadian teams they were very skilled. More skilled than you would think. But their modus operandi is to play the body and plug up the middle. In our first game against DHI we had a heckuva time getting the puck to the net. We may have had 15 shots over the course of the game. They blocked more than that I am guessing. The Toronto Wizards had 3-4 girls that made our biggest girl look averaged size.

There was an 02 girl (Van Wieren) on ECS-O that played 16U Honeybaked last year who is one the best 02s out there. She has size, speed, skill, and a very heavy shot. She typically plays on the West Coast Selects team so we have seen her many times. But WCS backed out of the tourney so she moved to the ECS team for the weekend. ECS had another girl who I had never seen before. Wheeler was the last name. She has always played boys hockey but will be playing girls next year for Nepean Wildcats. Just for the sake of comparison those two would be top 6 F on our roster, no question. As individual players they stuck out the most to me. The Big Dogs were a very skilled team. Played a style very similar to us.

I won't comment on how the 01/02 Os team would have done because if I said they would've competed I would be fibbing and if I said they wouldn't have then that would just be mean! How is that for an anwer?! LOL.

Scoring for our team was pretty balanced. We scored 16 goals total. 2 girls had 3 each and 10 girls had 1 each. There was no tournament team. We will see many of the same teams in Rochester next month.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Curious about west cost selects as my daughter is going to be playing with them in July and August.
Very strong team. The 02 OS beat them 5 to 1 in pool play and then 1 to 0 in the Championship Game in the Chicago Shootout - systems were clicking for OS;).
Yes, you are right NWH, systems were on point in all 4 victories in 4 games vs. WCS!! Don't forget about the 2 in Rochester last summer.

ZD, is your daughter playing with them in NAPS/Rochester? In all seriousness, WCS is a very good team.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm

HockeyDude20 wrote:
massalsa, for the size of of the girls on these Canadian teams they were very skilled. More skilled than you would think. But their modus operandi is to play the body and plug up the middle. In our first game against DHI we had a heckuva time getting the puck to the net. We may have had 15 shots over the course of the game. They blocked more than that I am guessing. The Toronto Wizards had 3-4 girls that made our biggest girl look averaged size.

There was an 02 girl (Van Wieren) on ECS-O that played 16U Honeybaked last year who is one the best 02s out there. She has size, speed, skill, and a very heavy shot. She typically plays on the West Coast Selects team so we have seen her many times. But WCS backed out of the tourney so she moved to the ECS team for the weekend. ECS had another girl who I had never seen before. Wheeler was the last name. She has always played boys hockey but will be playing girls next year for Nepean Wildcats. Just for the sake of comparison those two would be top 6 F on our roster, no question. As individual players they stuck out the most to me. The Big Dogs were a very skilled team. Played a style very similar to us.

I won't comment on how the 01/02 Os team would have done because if I said they would've competed I would be fibbing and if I said they wouldn't have then that would just be mean! How is that for an anwer?! LOL.

Scoring for our team was pretty balanced. We scored 16 goals total. 2 girls had 3 each and 10 girls had 1 each. There was no tournament team. We will see many of the same teams in Rochester next month.
Good stuff!!! Thanks for giving us the "behind the music" on your teams performance and also what else is "out there" so to speak.

Looking forward to seeing how you guys do in your other tourneys across the country!

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 24, 2016 4:18 pm

HockeyDude20 wrote: There was an 02 girl (Van Wieren) on ECS-O that played 16U Honeybaked last year who is one the best 02s out there. She has size, speed, skill, and a very heavy shot. She typically plays on the West Coast Selects team so we have seen her many times. But WCS backed out of the tourney so she moved to the ECS team for the weekend. ECS had another girl who I had never seen before. Wheeler was the last name. She has always played boys hockey but will be playing girls next year for Nepean Wildcats. Just for the sake of comparison those two would be top 6 F on our roster, no question. As individual players they stuck out the most to me. The Big Dogs were a very skilled team. Played a style very similar to us.

Scoring for our team was pretty balanced. We scored 16 goals total. 2 girls had 3 each and 10 girls had 1 each.
Who were your 3 goal scorers (ignoring this request is totally ok)?

Also was wondering if this 02 year was more like the 00's with a handful of way above average kids. There were 3 2000's that were selected to go to the USA Hockey "Select 66" camp last summer from MN (Wethington of Edina/Blake, Ostertag of Shattuck/Shakopee, and Heise of Red Wing. Only other kid in US from MASS named Browne also went).

I can only predict 1 2001 from MN that I think will be invited to that camp this year assuming that she is healthy enough (Breza of Breck/Mound). There is one girl from Wisconsin who plays in MN all year that was already invited...Miranda Anthony of Hill Murray.

I would not be surprised if there was more than 1 or 2 from that MachineOS team...

We will see!

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm

massalsa wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote: There was an 02 girl (Van Wieren) on ECS-O that played 16U Honeybaked last year who is one the best 02s out there. She has size, speed, skill, and a very heavy shot. She typically plays on the West Coast Selects team so we have seen her many times. But WCS backed out of the tourney so she moved to the ECS team for the weekend. ECS had another girl who I had never seen before. Wheeler was the last name. She has always played boys hockey but will be playing girls next year for Nepean Wildcats. Just for the sake of comparison those two would be top 6 F on our roster, no question. As individual players they stuck out the most to me. The Big Dogs were a very skilled team. Played a style very similar to us.

Scoring for our team was pretty balanced. We scored 16 goals total. 2 girls had 3 each and 10 girls had 1 each.

Also was wondering if this 02 year was more like the 00's with a handful of way above average kids. There were 3 2000's that were selected to go to the USA Hockey "Select 66" camp last summer from MN (Wethington of Edina/Blake, Ostertag of Shattuck/Shakopee, and Heise of Red Wing. Only other kid in US from MASS named Browne also went).

I can only predict 1 2001 from MN that I think will be invited to that camp this year assuming that she is healthy enough (Breza of Breck/Mound). There is one girl from Wisconsin who plays in MN all year that was already invited...Miranda Anthony of Hill Murray.

I would not be surprised if there was more than 1 or 2 from that MachineOS team...

We will see!
Miranda Anthony was already invited to national camp? I don't know anything about her. Does she play in MN HP next years since it goes to sections for 2001's and she is Hill Murray? Forward or defense?

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 pm

massalsa wrote:

We will see!
I am a dad and a coach so I make it a point to not discuss individuals on the team even if I would only be stating facts. That leads to a slippery slope that I don't want to navigate.

I think that the 02 birth year is a strong and deep group. I don't know the 00 group well enough to compare the 02s with them. I don't think the top end 02s are any better than the top end 01s or 03s at this point in their respective hockey careers I just think there happens to simply be more of them. Our team rolls 4 lines of forwards and we could roll 6-7 without missing a beat. Plus there are many other 02s in the metro that are very good and not on our team. We'd like to have them! I am not sure that the 01s or 03s have the depth of the 02s.

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Tue May 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Mavs wrote:Miranda Anthony was already invited to national camp? I don't know anything about her. Does she play in MN HP next years since it goes to sections for 2001's and she is Hill Murray? Forward or defense?
She plays defense. She and Addi Scribner from the Jr. Blues in St. Louis are the two 2001s I've seen that will be going to the Maine camp so far. I thought I had seen one other, but I can't find who it might have been right now.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed May 25, 2016 7:12 am

Iceburg wrote:
Mavs wrote:Miranda Anthony was already invited to national camp? I don't know anything about her. Does she play in MN HP next years since it goes to sections for 2001's and she is Hill Murray? Forward or defense?
She plays defense. She and Addi Scribner from the Jr. Blues in St. Louis are the two 2001s I've seen that will be going to the Maine camp so far. I thought I had seen one other, but I can't find who it might have been right now.
Does she play MN HP next year because of HM?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 am

No has to play in Wisconsin Bailey from hill couldn't try out

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed May 25, 2016 9:09 am

zambonidriver wrote:No has to play in Wisconsin Bailey from hill couldn't try out
Is she a 2000?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 am

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 am

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 am

zambonidriver wrote:01
01 had to play WI this year as HP for MN Hockey went by districts still at the 01 level. Next year when 01's go to High School sections instead of districts is it the same??? Did anyone from Wisconsin (2000) that went to HS in MN play MN HP or are they still WI because of residence?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 am

Have to stay in wisc

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Yes, you are right NWH, systems were on point in all 4 victories in 4 games vs. WCS!! Don't forget about the 2 in Rochester last summer.

ZD, is your daughter playing with them in NAPS/Rochester? In all seriousness, WCS is a very good team.
Not rochester but will be there for the camp right after. Playing For them in July and Aug.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:
massalsa wrote:Thanks for the update HD20. Congrats on the win. I believe that it is good for us as a state of girls hockey when our girls (any of them) are successful in tournaments outside of MN. Also good to find out in a sort of backwards way how our other teams might have stacked up when comparing each of our past results with MachineOS (both 01/02 & other). If that makes ANY sense at all.

I won't comment on how the 01/02 Os team would have done because if I said they would've competed I would be fibbing and if I said they wouldn't have then that would just be mean! How is that for an anwer?! LOL. Just so I understand you say that the 01/02 is selects can't compete with these teams is that what I have read. Am I correct?