Tier 1 National Championship

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mavs

Tier 1 National Championship

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:21 am

There was discussions about this in the 2002 thread...

U16 National Championship game this morning

MN Elite Grey vs Shattuck St. Mary's

U19 National Championship game

MN Elite Black vs Shattuck St. Mary's

Looks like MN is doing just fine and MN had multiple teams and not one stacked team.

http://nationals.usahockey.com/page/sho ... tier-i-16u

In U16 MN had 3 teams (counting Shattuck) and they all won their pool

observer

Post by observer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

Awesome performances by our MN girls! Good luck in the championship games!

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:04 am

Very impressive showing by the MN girls. The brackets of the 19U level were such that ALL MN Elite teams (Red, White, and Black) were all in the same half of the bracket so they had to beat each other to get to the final.

Black was down 2-0 to Red at one point in the second period of the semifinal game. Heckuva comeback.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:47 am

Shattuck won the U16 title 2-1 (Grey was winning 1-0 after two)

Shattuck won the U19 title 2-1 in OT

Bowlby fell down (looked like it could have been a tripping penalty) and turned the puck over in her own zone and the player that tripped/ took the puck then went in on a 2 on 1, defender slid too early and the Shattuck player walked her and went backhand for the OT winner.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:56 am

How did the 14's look HD20? (HD20 had to look as they would be the competition for the MachineOS!)?

What did anyone think of the 14's that saw them?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:31 am

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:35 am

14U- Surprised that CYA did not make it out of pool play. Not surprised that Mission and East Coast Wizards were in the final. I am pretty familiar with the Mission group and they are some really talented girls. We've had a handful practice with us in the past and we have played against some of them as the West Coast Selects. I don't know anything about East Coast Wizards. They won it last year, too. 4-0 with an empty netter in today's final. Goalies were the difference today. Shots were dead even.

Lace'emUp

Re: Tier 1 National Championship

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 am

Mavs wrote:There was discussions about this in the 2002 thread...

Looks like MN is doing just fine and MN had multiple teams and not one stacked team.

Over the past several years, MN teams has proven their worth versus the rest of the country at tournaments such as Beantown. Now we've done the same at Nationals with having 3 MN teams in each of the semi's at the U16 and U19 levels. I wasn't surprised at all, but what does the rest of the country think now that we've entered their Tier 1 world? Anyone at the games talk to the out of town folks? One fella I talked to from the Chicago area was not surprised, and knew it was coming. The guy from MA was a surprised at the amount of teams we had entered (beyond the usual SSM teams) and didn't quite understand how our system worked. Pretty impressive weekend, and congrats to all the MN teams for proving who's #1.
U16 MN teams went undefeated (9-0) in pool play and 13-3 overall, with the 3 losses coming at the hands of the other MN teams. Totals goals for/against was 65-15.
U19 was similar going 11-1 in pool play, and 17-4 overall. All but one loss were to MN teams. Goals for/against was 69-29.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:04 am

Lace'emUp wrote:

Over the past several years, MN teams has proven their worth versus the rest of the country at tournaments such as Beantown. Now we've done the same at Nationals with having 3 MN teams in each of the semi's at the U16 and U19 levels. I wasn't surprised at all, but what does the rest of the country think now that we've entered their Tier 1 world? Anyone at the games talk to the out of town folks? One fella I talked to from the Chicago area was not surprised, and knew it was coming. The guy from MA was a surprised at the amount of teams we had entered (beyond the usual SSM teams) and didn't quite understand how our system worked. Pretty impressive weekend, and congrats to all the MN teams for proving who's #1.
U16 MN teams went undefeated (9-0) in pool play and 13-3 overall, with the 3 losses coming at the hands of the other MN teams. Totals goals for/against was 65-15.
U19 was similar going 11-1 in pool play, and 17-4 overall. All but one loss were to MN teams. Goals for/against was 69-29.
I heard there was some upset (maybe not the right word) people that these MN teams don't train together and practice together year round and Kind of thrown together teams and beating everyone. (maybe scared is the right word) What if MN truly put in ONE all-star team and trained together...I think the talk of the 2002 team is legit if they played Tier 1 U14 next year.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years. It probably even has Shattuck (only 4 MN kids on it) worried about their future as the dominant Tier 1 program?

How do you qualify?

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 am

Mavs wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

I heard there was some upset (maybe not the right word) people that these MN teams don't train together and practice together year round and Kind of thrown together teams and beating everyone. (maybe scared is the right word) What if MN truly put in ONE all-star team and trained together...I think the talk of the 2002 team is legit if they played Tier 1 U14 next year.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years. It probably even has Shattuck (only 4 MN kids on it) worried about their future as the dominant Tier 1 program?

How do you qualify?
I'll go with "scared" for the rest of the country. SSM is probably more annoyed by it, but proved their worth today. To be a legit Tier 1 team eligible for Nationals, youth (boys) need to comply with the 20/10 rule. That is, compete as a team in 20 games, and players on the team need to compete in at least 10 of those contests. For girls, it's the 14/10 rule, so only 14 contests are required. Games and rosters are verified/certified by MNH. Rosters cannot be altered after 12/31. The MN Elite teams played 18-20 games in the fall, then another 8 in the spring. The Premier Prep teams played 14-15 games. So all qualify. I saw a team from Connecticut played in roughly 30 games, so not much off from our Elite teams. Neither of the East Coast Wizard teams even played a game in the 2016 calendar year until this past weekend.

Unfortunately for the 2002 Os/Machine team, unless they all play association hockey within the same district, they cannot play together as a Tier 1 team. But it would be interesting to see the MN all-star teams in a tournament with all-star teams from IL, MI, MA, NY, and so on. At U19, MN would be the easy pick. 16 of the 22 girls on the USA U18 National Team are from MN.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Lace em, where are the Nationals next year? Do you see the Minny teams traveling?

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Lace em, where are the Nationals next year? Do you see the Minny teams traveling?
Girls Tier 1 nationals are in Farmington, MI next year (Detroit sub). My guess is after the success of the Elite teams this past year, MNH will for sure send multiple teams. The only issue is 100% complete commitment from whomever is rostered on the U14, U16, and U19 teams. Girls cannot backout or that will disrupt the team roster. Whatever MN teams qualify from our MNH District playoffs in October will probably require players to give a full money deposit by 12/31, the final deadline for rosters. How else do you keep rosters intact? The other issue is HP tryouts and spring festival conflicts. MNH has to be careful of scheduling HP activities around the USAH Nationals. I heard that Sections were having HP tryouts over this past weekend, which makes no sense at all with the Nationals going on.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Lace em, where are the Nationals next year? Do you see the Minny teams traveling?
Girls Tier 1 nationals are in Farmington, MI next year (Detroit sub). My guess is after the success of the Elite teams this past year, MNH will for sure send multiple teams. The only issue is 100% complete commitment from whomever is rostered on the U14, U16, and U19 teams. Girls cannot backout or that will disrupt the team roster. Whatever MN teams qualify from our MNH District playoffs in October will probably require players to give a full money deposit by 12/31, the final deadline for rosters. How else do you keep rosters intact? The other issue is HP tryouts and spring festival conflicts. MNH has to be careful of scheduling HP activities around the USAH Nationals. I heard that Sections were having HP tryouts over this past weekend, which makes no sense at all with the Nationals going on.
HP has spring breaks and now this to work around. Not easy

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:28 am

It appears as if the "Tier 1" component of the HP process for next season will be somewhat diluted at my first glance. Unlikely we (MN HS & Youth players) will be able to field as strong of teams as the ones this year. Here is my logic, feel free to let me know where I am wrong...

It looks like they (whomever is in charge of these things) is planning to have district teams compete for a chance to go to Nationals.

1. The strongest district in my opinion (not worth much) is D6 which has Edina, EP, Chaska/Chan, and Tonka. That district should be the odds on favorite with D10 & D3 also being above average.

2. Everyone needs to agree to write the checks to travel to the Detroit area to play in the National tournament. That means it has to work with spring breaks, spring sports, finances, and any other extenuating circumstances. Said "district" needs to agree to most of that early in the year.

3. This years 16U teams were from the fall elite league. If I analyzed things correctly then there was a team of 1999's (Grey) and 2000's (Sky). The team that lost to SSM in the final was Elite Grey. Elite Sky lost in the semi finals.

4. I believe that most of the kids on each of those teams were national campers at their age. 15's for Sky & 16/17's for Grey.

5. Those 2 teams were made up of kids from all over the state or at least the metro. NOT districts. There were several districts represented on each of those teams.

I heard from several other parents that the experience was a good one for their kids. Who knows how good it was for the teams from other states to come here and get smoked by 5 new MN teams in u16 & u19.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 am

Mavs wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
HP has spring breaks and now this to work around. Not easy
It's getting more difficult, but doable if carefully planned. It really starts with the end of the youth season. Is there a need to take a 2 week break between Regions and State? Get State over with the first weekend in March. That was the event that messed with a lot of spring break plans, being the middle weekend in March.

All HP tryouts can then be moved up into the latter part of March - run them all at the same weekend like many of the Districts do with HP 14's and 15's. Maybe make Tier 1 National-bound players exempt from HP tryouts so they can rest for Nationals. All of the above frees the kids up a little more in April. Slide the final 54 stuff into early May.

The only thing that is still hurt by the extra activity are early AAA tournaments like Stick-it-to-Cancer and The Meltdown. It hurt attendence on many teams last year with higher end players being at the Spring Festival's and Final 54's (out-of-state teams didn't mind). It will be the same this year.

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:38 am

It looks like they (whomever is in charge of these things) is planning to have district teams compete for a chance to go to Nationals.
Where is the information that leads you to the conclusion that the MN Tier I Teams for 16-17 will be district based?

I like that idea - gets it out of the hands of a private/for profit entity.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:58 am

The Bone wrote:
Where is the information that leads you to the conclusion that the MN Tier I Teams for 16-17 will be district based?

This is what I have seen for 14's & 15's:

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/tier1

I believe that your HS team district will impact where you tryout for 16/17 HP. Depending on what district Blake/Breck (2/5/6?) is in will definitely strengthen that district and give them nice boost of eligible players. How that translates into potential elite league or national tourney slotted teams is unknown from what I have read.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 am

The Bone wrote:

Tier 1 for U14's and U15's teams are based upon the District you play association hockey within. You tryout in August, and play games amongst the other 8 district teams in the fall until the association season starts.

Tier 1 U16's and U19's are teams based upon the teams set up through the Elite and Premier Prep leagues. It's not based upon the District or Section you play in. They play in Sept/Oct until the high school season starts.

Edited my response to remove "HP" reference. Let's leave HP out of the conversation at a direct correlation to Tier 1, because their is none beyond schedule conflicts in the spring.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 am

Answers/Opinions in bold below:

1. The strongest district in my opinion (not worth much) is D6 which has Edina, EP, Chaska/Chan, and Tonka. That district should be the odds on favorite with D10 & D3 also being above average.
For Tier 1 U14's & U15's, yes, I would agree. Not the case for Tier 1 U16's & U19's since those teams are "random".

2. Everyone needs to agree to write the checks to travel to the Detroit area to play in the National tournament. That means it has to work with spring breaks, spring sports, finances, and any other extenuating circumstances. Said "district" needs to agree to most of that early in the year.
Again, I agree. Hopefully MNH has thought that process out. For example, if the D5 teams do well and make Nationals through the playoffs, but then too many de-commit, D5 will not be able to go, and the next team in line would. As noted previously, MNH also needs to be careful of the minimum games played. They talk about 15-17 games in the fall, but at the youth (boys) level they need a minimum of 20. Girls only need 14.
See:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_art ... _id=710946

3. This years 16U teams were from the fall elite league. If I analyzed things correctly then there was a team of 1999's (Grey) and 2000's (Sky). The team that lost to SSM in the final was Elite Grey. Elite Sky lost in the semi finals.
You are correct again. But see this link to the fall MNH District Playoffs:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/tier1playoffs
There were actually 6 Tier 1 teams at U16 between SSM, 3 Elite, and 2 Premier Prep. SSM and Grey made it in through the playoffs, and Sky got an at-large bid (USAH selection). U19 only had the 4 Tier 1 teams - SSM and 3 Elite league teams. There were no Premier Prep Tier 1 U19 teams.

4. I believe that most of the kids on each of those teams were national campers at their age. 15's for Sky & 16/17's for Grey.
I take your word for it. That would've been my guess too.

5. Those 2 teams were made up of kids from all over the state or at least the metro. NOT districts. There were several districts represented on each of those teams.
Yes, see my answer above - Elite and Premier Prep teams are somewhat "randomly" put together to make things more even, but I'm sure one team is slightly loaded up more than the others. As you can guess, only the top players get an Elite League tryout invite. Only high school coaches and the Elite League scouting staff can make that call. They scout the high school games during the season, and watch the spring HP festivals closely. Then the invites go out. At the Premier Prep level, all the other non-Elite-invite high school players get an invite to tryout, and most make it. For the Tier 1 teams, they ask the participants if they want to be considered for a Tier 1 U16 team. Those who do filled the 2 teams they put together, so I'm sure some did not make it and were placed on a regular Premier Prep team.

I heard from several other parents that the experience was a good one for their kids. Who knows how good it was for the teams from other states to come here and get smoked by 5 new MN teams in u16 & u19.
It's a new age for MNH, and it seemed to be very positive for all involved this past weekend. It helps to be in friendly territory. Next year we travel, so there will be only a fraction of the fans there to cheer on the MN teams. We'll still do well though. Again, it all comes down to MNH scheduling the Tier 1 process/season so there's no conflicts with the HP process.

observer

Post by observer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 pm