Independent Cup

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Gotothenetman

Independent Cup

Post by Gotothenetman » Sun May 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Was the independent cup this weekend? Any results or anyone see any games at all?

AggieSpirit

Post by AggieSpirit » Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 pm

We brought a team up from Texas and won the 12u Pacific Girls division.

Can someone tell me if there is a skill difference between Atlantic and Pacific?

We are also curious where the girls from these teams come from (who are their normal Rec teams):

Easton Synergy
Skate to Excellence Red

We had a great time in Minnesota and hope to come back next year.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 am

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 am

Congrats to your daughter's team! Way to go, they are fun to watch....

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon May 23, 2016 9:37 am

They played well :D

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue May 24, 2016 6:48 am

AggieSpirit wrote:We brought a team up from Texas and won the 12u Pacific Girls division.

Can someone tell me if there is a skill difference between Atlantic and Pacific?

We are also curious where the girls from these teams come from (who are their normal Rec teams):

Easton Synergy
Skate to Excellence Red

We had a great time in Minnesota and hope to come back next year.
Atlantic was an upper division, Pacific considered lower. Level of competition can change from tournament to tournament, based on who is available to play. Looks like you came out on top of some solid MN summer teams, but not the best we have to offer. It was a fun weekend to watch hockey.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:42 am

Hope the kids had Fun in Mn !!

AggieSpirit

Post by AggieSpirit » Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 am

zooomx wrote: Atlantic was an upper division, Pacific considered lower. Level of competition can change from tournament to tournament, based on who is available to play. Looks like you came out on top of some solid MN summer teams, but not the best we have to offer. It was a fun weekend to watch hockey.
That's the information I wanted.

Which orgs in the Atlantic division had the best MN girls playing Spring hockey?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

AggieSpirit wrote:
zooomx wrote: Atlantic was an upper division, Pacific considered lower. Level of competition can change from tournament to tournament, based on who is available to play. Looks like you came out on top of some solid MN summer teams, but not the best we have to offer. It was a fun weekend to watch hockey.

Which orgs in the Atlantic division had the best MN girls playing Spring hockey?
If you want to identify the "best" U12 MN girls playing spring hockey, most of them played in the Clash two weeks prior. Most of them were not playing in Minnesota this past weekend.

The 2003 Miracle Gold won the U14 division at the Clash. This past weekend they were in Toronto. The 2003 Machine Orange was also in Toronto.

The MN 2004s are a mix of several teams including the 2004 Machine Orange and the 2004 Miracle Gold, which won the U12 division at the Clash. The 04s were in Grand Forks this past weekend and won the U12 division.

The 2003 Machine Black defeated the U12 Miracle Silver (who finished first in their pool at the Independent) 6-0 at the Clash two weeks ago. They were also in Grand Forks and finished second.

The Northern Polar Bears (Stroot, Folden, Trosvig) probably had the best U12 MN players in this tourney.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Tue May 24, 2016 3:45 pm

jg2112 wrote:
AggieSpirit wrote:

If you want to identify the "best" U12 MN girls playing spring hockey, most of them played in the Clash two weeks prior. Most of them were not playing in Minnesota this past weekend.

The 2003 Miracle Gold won the U14 division at the Clash. This past weekend they were in Toronto. The 2003 Machine Orange was also in Toronto.

The MN 2004s are a mix of several teams including the 2004 Machine Orange and the 2004 Miracle Gold, which won the U12 division at the Clash. The 04s were in Grand Forks this past weekend and won the U12 division.

The 2003 Machine Black defeated the U12 Miracle Silver (who finished first in their pool at the Independent) 6-0 at the Clash two weeks ago. They were also in Grand Forks and finished second.

The Northern Polar Bears (Stroot, Folden, Trosvig) probably had the best U12 MN players in this tourney.
After looking at the results I think the MN Edge team that played in the upper U14 championship game is a U12 team and could have played u12, but I am not totally sure. Not sure how they fair against the above teams listed.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 24, 2016 4:34 pm

AggieSpirit wrote:We brought a team up from Texas and won the 12u Pacific Girls division.

Easton Synergy
Skate to Excellence Red
From my experience Skate to Excellence (aka STE) is generally a team of girls from the northern half of the metro area. From Elk River and beyond across to White Bear Lake. The director/founder of STE is the father of Gabbie Hughes. One of the top sophomore players in the country. She was in the top 5 scorers in the state last winter for Centennial HS.

I think that Easton Synergy is more of a W/NW burb (Minnetonka to Maple Grove and beyond) team with their practices being held in Plymouth and Orono.

There are girls from all over that play for teams all over the metro in the summer. The Machine teams have girls from every side of the metro and even have kids that drive 90 minutes + for practices. Not a big deal at all in other parts of the country but a long way for most kids in the metro at U12.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
AggieSpirit wrote:

After looking at the results I think the MN Edge team that played in the upper U14 championship game is a U12 team and could have played u12, but I am not totally sure. Not sure how they fair against the above teams listed.
That's a good call. The Edge group are a very good group of mostly 2003s. Sometimes it's easy to forget (and I did) that each year age groups play up to give players experience at the next level for winter. This year it's 2003 teams with a majority of players born in the first half of the year.

AggieSpirit

Post by AggieSpirit » Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
AggieSpirit wrote:

That's a good call. The Edge group are a very good group of mostly 2003s. Sometimes it's easy to forget (and I did) that each year age groups play up to give players experience at the next level for winter. This year it's 2003 teams with a majority of players born in the first half of the year.
Well... other than the coaches that told us 'Nice player' instead of 'Nice Game' (STE Red)...... We had a good experience in MN.

Won't lie -- we were very dependent on our 'ringer' -- she had 21 goals and 6 assists. But it still takes a team.

It was eye opening to see some of the great talent base at all age groups in MN. We have roughly 250 girls total in the state of Texas playing hockey. So it's a challenge just to get a team together at times!

Obviously, playing in the lower bracket helped a lot. Thanks for the info guys. Jealous of the State of Hockey's girls programs and development.