Summer Tournaments

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Summer Tournaments

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Duluth Marshall is having their annual Hilltopper Classic end of July with Bemidji, BSM, and others. Grand Rapids is going to Edina instead this season. I have no other info on the Edina tourney. The Hilltopper Classic tourney is on Mars Lakeview Arena web site.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Usthockey13

Re: Summer Tournaments

Post by Usthockey13 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Duluth Marshall is having their annual Hilltopper Classic end of July with Bemidji, BSM, and others. Grand Rapids is going to Edina instead this season. I have no other info on the Edina tourney. The Hilltopper Classic tourney is on Mars Lakeview Arena web site.
I know Duluth East will be in Edina as well.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

According to Karl, East is playing Delano, Lakeville South, and BSM.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl, do you have dates/pairings/ or a link for the Eagan and Edina tourneys? Sounds like Braemar stole most of what used to be a good Eagan trny lineup.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Karl, do you have dates/pairings/ or a link for the Eagan and Edina tourneys? Sounds like Braemar stole most of what used to be a good Eagan trny lineup.
7AA is going to be a crazy this coming season.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Forest Lake going to Duluth.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Karl, do you have dates/pairings/ or a link for the Eagan and Edina tourneys? Sounds like Braemar stole most of what used to be a good Eagan trny lineup.
Cloquet wins 7AA this year Knivsy. Lots of talent, Esse, and a stud goaltender. You heard it here first!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Cloquet wins 7AA this year Knivsy. Lots of talent, Esse, and a stud goaltender. You heard it here first!
I sure would like that!! Esse is getting some teams to scrimmage in Cloquet next Thursday. My first peek :). Indians, Hounds, Elks, and Toppers never make things easy. But that's what I love about 7AA...
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote: 7AA is going to be a crazy this coming season.
I sure would like that!! Esse is getting some teams to scrimmage in Cloquet next Thursday. My first peek :). Indians, Hounds, Elks, and Toppers never make things easy. But that's what I love about 7AA...
Jacks vs. Indians in the final. I think the Jacks win 4-2. Hounds have the Proctor kid who is going to be something special but that's probably not enough. Toppers have some good young talent too but probably a year or two away. Don't know anything about the Elks other than they can't win at Amsoil.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks for the schedule Karl.!!
Slapper Al

Post by Slapper Al »

That schedule was updated. SPA replaced SLP in Pool 3.

Pools now look like:
Pool 1: Duluth East, BSM, Delano, Lakeville South
Pool 2: Lakeville North, Wayzata, Holy Family, Jefferson
Pool 3: Eden Prairie, Eastview, Maple Grove, SPA
Pool 4: Elk River, Chanhassen, Grand Rapids, Prior Lake
Pool 5: Orono, Hopkins, Princeton, Wayzata #2

It should be a really fun field.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

20 solid teams and only one split squad. Very impressive. Should be a good tournament. Do they charge admission?
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

karl(east) wrote:Edina tournament schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxbq-f ... sp=sharing
Why isn't Edina in the Edina tournament?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl, do you have the details for the Eagan Tourney this weekend?

--------------------------------------------------------

Also Karl, maybe you could double check that I am not making a senior citizen mistake on the following observation:

On the Elite League website, it still shows Sunday July 24 as the final tryout date for this fall's candidates (those who have not already been selected.)

On the Braemar Hockey Festival schedule, it shows Sunday July 24 for the final games of the tourney.

Do these dates jive with what you know? Wouldn't there be at least a few kids who would have to make a decision as to where they will skate that day, at New Hope or at Braemar?
HockeyonFire

Da Beauty League & Summer Festival 2016 Tournament

Post by HockeyonFire »

Twitter Coverage of Da Beauty and Summer Festival

Follow @VelocityHockey for coverage of Da Beauty League tournament featuring 78 current professional and collegiate players. 6 Teams...

Follow @HFhockey for coverage of Pool 2 games at the Summer Festival 2016 at Braemar July 22-24

Follow @Roamsport for coverage of other teams playing at the Summer Festival 2016 from July 22-24 at Braemar Ice Arena.

[/img]
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

WestMetro wrote:Karl, do you have the details for the Eagan Tourney this weekend?

--------------------------------------------------------

Also Karl, maybe you could double check that I am not making a senior citizen mistake on the following observation:

On the Elite League website, it still shows Sunday July 24 as the final tryout date for this fall's candidates (those who have not already been selected.)

On the Braemar Hockey Festival schedule, it shows Sunday July 24 for the final games of the tourney.

Do these dates jive with what you know? Wouldn't there be at least a few kids who would have to make a decision as to where they will skate that day, at New Hope or at Braemar?
You are correct. Some players are in this situation and will have to make such a decision. At least one affected coach has told his players to go ahead and attend the Elite League tryout on the 24th, presumably because it's a summer tournament and while it's important, it isn't potentially as important as the development opportunity Elite League offers.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Yes it does become a conflict. We had 3 guys that were in that boat while the team was in Duluth several years ago. Played Friday ran to Mnpls. Sat. and then back to play Sunday. In the end, they didn't get selected so that was a bummer. They did get invited to play the following year though.
Unfortunately there will not be many spots left to play for in this last tryout but I think it's worth keeping yourself on the radar especially the Jr.s to be seniors next season.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I'm assuming there are approx 40 open elite league slots as usual?

I'm going to have to dust off my lists and take a guess at how many elite league sophomores might be selected?
----------------------------------------

Added: In looking over my lists: Im guessing approx 5 sophomores, maybe only 4 and possibly 6.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Cloquet wins 7AA this year Knivsy. Lots of talent, Esse, and a stud goaltender. You heard it here first!
Jacks vs. Indians in the final. I think the Jacks win 4-2. Hounds have the Proctor kid who is going to be something special but that's probably not enough. Toppers have some good young talent too but probably a year or two away. Don't know anything about the Elks other than they can't win at Amsoil.
CEC scrimmaging Brainerd tomorrow, Thursday at 3PM in Cloquet if anybody locally is interested. Probably not, but just sharing the info.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Tony YHH:

A while back you had predicted for 2016-17:

1 Minnetonka
2 Wayzata
3 Holy Family
4 Elk
5 STA

Your updated thoughts? ---based on action so far at Braemar, various transfers (assuming eligibility prevails), bantam vs varsity decisions, coaching changes, and other factors so far through July ?
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Here is our story on Friday Summer Hockey Festival in Edina.

Story, Scores, Pics, Players to Watch and Coming/Going.

http://bit.ly/2aCy7sM

Enjoy,

TS
Last edited by YouthHockeyHub on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

My notes from the games I watched on Saturday at Braemar: https://apatientcycle.com/2016/07/24/20 ... age-notes/
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Tony YHH , great to catchup today!

I read your and Peters updated predictions in your July 21 article. So yes, your earlier Minnetonka prediction was b4 CM decided to return for the EP season

After watching this weekend and taking into account latest known and speculated comings and goings, at this midsummer point I would say:

1. LV South
2. EP
3. STA
4. HM , unless Begley leaves ,then SW
5. Centennial
6. Edina, if Sorenson leaves WYZ
7. GR ( Elk runnerup)
8. Bemidji ( almost toss up with MH)

So I'm a bit different on 1, 4 , 6

One other takeaway after this weekend, the second best player in the state next year may be none other than: Ben Meyers
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Agree on Delano stud. Also like his line mate and Isaac Johnson but pretty sure he's going to desmoine. GB