8AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

8AA

Post by kniven »

What does this section look like this coming season? Is Bemidji still the front runner?[/list]
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

8AA - Pre-Season Prediction

JOMO - (Just one man's opinion) .... In July no less :-)

1. Moorhead - the 'Taters' are the clear, cut favorite. Very solid returning players (several high end), and great youth coming up from JV and Bantam. Goaltending remains a question mark; inconsistent goaltending and Youth may result in a slow start, but they have the best talent in the section, combined with solid leadership and coaching, come play-off time the rest of the section should 'Beware of the Spuds'. 8AA should be theirs for several years to come.

2. Bemidji - Paul Bunyan's boys will not go quietly, but their two year reign of 8AA is over...no trifecta for the Jaccks. High end players in key positions, but will greatly miss the depth and strong leadership they have enjoyed the past two seasons; not much help coming from JV and/or Bantam; personnel losses will be difficult to replace (especially at D); goalies will be tested more this season (still not sold).

3. Brainerd - the "Wizard' has them going in the right direction and this could be the Warriors year, but don't think they have enough to get past the Spuds or Jacks. Lost quite a bit of scoring and leadership; returners are very capable and should get adequate help from JV and bantam ranks to make some noise; will need to find a replacement for 3 year starter in the goal (no easy task).

4. STMA - Knights are a program on the rise; solid returners, combined with decent crop coming in; but this team will only go as far their goaltending will take them; if they can focus on playing hockey, stay out of the penalty box and get a consistent performance between the pipes, they will be a factor in the end.

5). St. Cloud Tech/Apollo (if this is where they land) - UPSET special - good overall talent; strong (incoming) junior class on the Tech side, including a very nice goaltender, combined with quite possibly the best coach in the section; they will be a serious 'darkhorse' in the section.

6. Roseau - this will not be the year of the Sheep - several very nice players, but serious lack of depth; losses to graduation (and privates) and BIG question mark in between the pipes will be too much to overcome for the Rams;

7. Rogers - 'also rans' - Royals will be improved, but will not be a serious factor in this section.

8. Buffalo - see above

Have at it boys!
kniven

Post by kniven »

GoldenBear69 wrote:8AA - Pre-Season Prediction

1. Moorhead - the 'Taters' are the clear, cut favorite. Very solid returning players (several high end), and great youth coming up from JV and Bantam. Goaltending remains a question mark; inconsistent goaltending and Youth may result in a slow start, but they have the best talent in the section, combined with solid leadership and coaching, come play-off time the rest of the section should 'Beware of the Spuds'. 8AA should be theirs for several years to come.

2. Bemidji - Paul Bunyan's boys will not go quietly, but their two year reign of 8AA is over...no trifecta for the Jaccks. High end players in key positions, but will greatly miss the depth and strong leadership they have enjoyed the past two seasons; not much help coming from JV and/or Bantam; personnel losses will be difficult to replace (especially at D); goalies will be tested more this season (still not sold).

3. Brainerd - the "Wizard' has them going in the right direction and this could be the Warriors year, but don't think they have enough to get past the Spuds or Jacks. Lost quite a bit of scoring and leadership; returners are very capable and should get adequate help from JV and bantam ranks to make some noise; will need to find a replacement for 3 year starter in the goal (no easy task).

4. STMA - Knights are a program on the rise; solid returners, combined with decent crop coming in; but this team will only go as far their goaltending will take them; if they can focus on playing hockey, stay out of the penalty box and get a consistent performance between the pipes, they will be a factor in the end.

5). St. Cloud Tech/Apollo (if this is where they land) - UPSET special - good overall talent; strong (incoming) junior class on the Tech side, including a very nice goaltender, combined with quite possibly the best coach in the section; they will be a serious 'darkhorse' in the section.

6. Roseau - this will not be the year of the Sheep - several very nice players, but serious lack of depth; losses to graduation (and privates) and BIG question mark in between the pipes will be too much to overcome for the Rams;

7. Rogers - 'also rans' - Royals will be improved, but will not be a serious factor in this section.

8. Buffalo - see above

Have at it boys!
I tell you. 8AA and 7AA are pretty strong this year. Hopefully the state participates will be in different brackets so as to the possibility of meeting for championship
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I don't think 8AA is quite in that category this year Kniven. 7AA definitely could contend for a title this year. Maybe the following season 8AA will start to have some teams that could contend for a title again but in my eyes it's a year away.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Section 8 guy wrote:I don't think 8AA is quite in that category this year Kniven. 7AA definitely could contend for a title this year. Maybe the following season 8AA will start to have some teams that could contend for a title again but in my eyes it's a year away.
Thanks for the info 8guy. I just love high school hockey! Especially north and west of Hinckley (and the Elks and the Bears)...respect all teams without a doubt.
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

GoldenBear69 wrote:8AA - Pre-Season Prediction

8. Buffalo - see above

Have at it boys!
Who's this "very strong" goaltender for St. Cloud? I've seen them play a few times this summer, not very strong outside of their forwards, and one solid Dman.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Noah Althaus, who will be a junior ... And the comment was "a very nice goaltender" :-)
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

GoldenBear69 wrote:Noah Althaus, who will be a junior ... And the comment was "a very nice goaltender" :-)
I wouldn't say Noah is a very nice goaltender. He didn't even play hockey his freshman year or 8th grade I believe. Solid bloodline, but not quite what his brothers were.
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

St. Cloud played up in the Duluth Marshall AA tournament this weekend going 2-1 and winning consolation, beating Brainerd and Bemidji both in 2OT in the process, should be a very interesting season for them. Bemidji didn't play all of its studs however. Still interesting to see them hanging in there.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

CornerBar wrote:St. Cloud played up in the Duluth Marshall AA tournament this weekend going 2-1 and winning consolation, beating Brainerd and Bemidji both in 2OT in the process, should be a very interesting season for them. Bemidji didn't play all of its studs however. Still interesting to see them hanging in there.
A few solid forwards, one solid D, and a horrible goalie is good enough for St. Cloud to beat Brainerd and Bemidji, eh? :roll:
The U invented swagger.
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
CornerBar wrote:St. Cloud played up in the Duluth Marshall AA tournament this weekend going 2-1 and winning consolation, beating Brainerd and Bemidji both in 2OT in the process, should be a very interesting season for them. Bemidji didn't play all of its studs however. Still interesting to see them hanging in there.
A few solid forwards, one solid D, and a horrible goalie is good enough for St. Cloud to beat Brainerd and Bemidji, eh? :roll:
Keep in mind both Bemidji and Brainerd are worse than last year, and Bemidji didn't play its entire varsity team, it was about have JV half Varsity and their JV is god awful. Brainerd is a solid team but nobody knows what's going on in net there so I can't speak for what happened in that game as I was not there. Also, I never said they had a "few" solid forwards, I said they aren't very strong outside of their forwards. They have about 3 solid lines that can play. And I never said a horrible goaltender either. Watch yourself before you go putting words in my mouth :wink:
BP

Post by BP »

CornerBar wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Keep in mind both Bemidji and Brainerd are worse than last year, and Bemidji didn't play its entire varsity team, it was about have JV half Varsity and their JV is god awful. Brainerd is a solid team but nobody knows what's going on in net there so I can't speak for what happened in that game as I was not there. Also, I never said they had a "few" solid forwards, I said they aren't very strong outside of their forwards. They have about 3 solid lines that can play. And I never said a horrible goaltender either. Watch yourself before you go putting words in my mouth :wink:

It's summer hockey. You can't put ANY stock into scores. Way too many factors and the game is completely different come November. Teams are missing guys, players aren't going 100%, etc. I wouldn't predict section steeds by anything you have viewed in the summer.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

CornerBar wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Sounds like a lot of back peddling to me.
The U invented swagger.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
CornerBar wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: A few solid forwards, one solid D, and a horrible goalie is good enough for St. Cloud to beat Brainerd and Bemidji, eh? :roll:
Sounds like a lot of back peddling to me.
Bemidji's top nine players and top goaltender were not at Duluth.
Not saying they will be the top team in 8AA but will be in the running.
Moorhead should be #1 depending on transition of some bantam - younger players.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Me thinks Elliott is sandbagging a bit.

The section is still Bemidjis until someone proves otherwise.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Section 8 guy wrote:Me thinks Elliott is sandbagging a bit.

That's a hot take.
The U invented swagger.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Goldy Gopher wrote:

That's a hot take.
I'll take the Spuds for sure. I like that system up there in Moorhead a lot. If I weren't such a huge CEC fan, I'd probably move to Moorhead and do what I do there. But, that's why they play the games. Being the better team on paper don't mean much when it comes to rivalry games. Speaking of rivalries, who are the Spuds Duluth East?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

kniven wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:

That's a hot take.
I'll take the Spuds for sure. I like that system up there in Moorhead a lot. If I weren't such a huge CEC fan, I'd probably move to Moorhead and do what I do there. But, that's why they play the games. Being the better team on paper don't mean much when it comes to rivalry games. Speaking of rivalries, who are the Spuds Duluth East?
Do your HS hockey allegiances really play a factor in where you choose to live?
The U invented swagger.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
kniven wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: That's a hot take.
Well no. I've got a wife and family so I do exaggerate. But if I were single, or retired, it would be something I'd consider. Luckily I don't see that happening though. Cloquet/Esko/Carlton hockey rocks!! And the rivalries in 7AA are amazing :)))
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

kniven wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
kniven wrote: I'll take the Spuds for sure. I like that system up there in Moorhead a lot. If I weren't such a huge CEC fan, I'd probably move to Moorhead and do what I do there. But, that's why they play the games. Being the better team on paper don't mean much when it comes to rivalry games. Speaking of rivalries, who are the Spuds Duluth East?
Well no. I've got a wife and family so I do exaggerate. But if I were single, or retired, it would be something I'd consider. Luckily I don't see that happening though. Cloquet/Esko/Carlton hockey rocks!! And the rivalries in 7AA are amazing :)))
Cambridge, St. Francis, and Andover really get me jacked up too :!:
The U invented swagger.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
kniven wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: Do your HS hockey allegiances really play a factor in where you choose to live?
Cambridge, St. Francis, and Andover really get me jacked up too :!:
Pretty sure he meant the Northern Rivalries Goofy. Nothing down in the Metro compares.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

On January 27th one of the best rivalries ever is being renewed. Greenway will be playing the Chickenhawks in Rapids.
kniven

Post by kniven »

greenwayraider wrote:On January 27th one of the best rivalries ever is being renewed. Greenway will be playing the Chickenhawks in Rapids.
That's awesome!!
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

greenwayraider wrote:On January 27th one of the best rivalries ever is being renewed. Greenway will be playing the Chickenhawks in Rapids.
Very relevant in an 8AA thread. :shock:
The U invented swagger.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Round 1 to MHD 4-1