How are JG teams formed?

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

scoreandscoreoften

How are JG teams formed?

Post by scoreandscoreoften » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Who's in charge of JG teams? High School coach? Youth Assn.? Do they work together? Who runs tryouts etc. please any info will help. Thx.

nofinish

Post by nofinish » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 am

Teams are formed by youth association after high school tryouts. League is run by the Metro Hocky League, not the districts. If you have a son interested I highly recommend trying it. My son played though his high school years and was a great experience. If your assn doesn't form a team call one that does, most are inclusive. Check out Metro Hockey League website for more info.

zooomx

Re: How are JG teams formed?

Post by zooomx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am

Yes, call some JG coaches. They probably have the best ideas on starting a team, or helping to find a home for players.

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am

scoreandscoreoften wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm
Who's in charge of JG teams? High School coach? Youth Assn.? Do they work together? Who runs tryouts etc. please any info will help. Thx.
Most Jr Gold teams are run and setup by the association, but if there is any incidents through out the year like any major penalty or a fighting penalty then Metro Hockey League would be notified and handle the situation not the local association but I'm sure they would still be notified.
Were lucky with our program, the association pretty much lets us run it and has little to do with us(the black sheep of the family) unless one of the board members kids is on the team then its a pretty important deal.
Most Jr Gold teams have non-player coaches and some have coaches with a kid on the team. I can't speak for all the programs but I'm pretty sure almost all the tryouts are run by the coaches of the Jr Gold teams and very few work with the high school team. However, I've been coaching Jr Gold for the last 8 years and we work with the HS coach and he talks to the boys that are getting cut and attempt's to steer them our way to keep playing hockey so that's a plus for us. Hope this helps

ticklemeblink

Post by ticklemeblink » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:00 pm

That feeling when a question you posted 2 years ago gets answered

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 am

All I do is give

ticklemeblink

Post by ticklemeblink » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Haha, I miss this Forum