Player of the Week Nominations - Girls Hockey Hub

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

puckdreams

Player of the Week Nominations - Girls Hockey Hub

Post by puckdreams » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I know I will likely get gored for this, however, please know that this is directed at the Professional, paid, editors of a news outlet, not at the players or their accomplishments

I would just like to suggest that the Girls Hockey Hub Editors dig a little deeper and find performances to recognize that are not in running time and blowout games.

This past week, seven of the top ten performances nominated occurred in running time games.

itsfoilcoach

Re: Player of the Week Nominations - Girls Hockey Hub

Post by itsfoilcoach » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:07 pm

puckdreams wrote:I know I will likely get gored for this, however, please know that this is directed at the Professional, paid, editors of a news outlet, not at the players or their accomplishments

I would just like to suggest that the Girls Hockey Hub Editors dig a little deeper and find performances to recognize that are not in running time and blowout games.

This past week, seven of the top ten performances nominated occurred in running time games.
Spot on. But that would mean getting out from behind a laptop and maybe stop depending on Twitter feeds for information. But then the Starless Tribune would have to hire an investigative style sport reporter, and a working editor. I imagine that won't happen anytime soon.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockeybozo

Post by hockeybozo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:30 pm

I agree with this observation. Statistics have become the standard for determining a great player or performance. It starts with the all state selections. The selectors look at stats and pick the teams. This leads to players piling on points in blowout games because at the end of the year it does make a difference in making all state or honorable mention. Some of the best players in the state know when to take it easy on a team, but have a difficult time deciding to actually take the foot off of the gas because of this. I do not feel that a 7 or 8 point individual performance in a blowout game is worthy of an award but I do understand the dilemma.

Misterright

Post by Misterright » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:57 pm

What is a better way to determine players of the week?

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 pm

hockeybozo wrote:I agree with this observation. Statistics have become the standard for determining a great player or performance. It starts with the all state selections. The selectors look at stats and pick the teams. This leads to players piling on points in blowout games because at the end of the year it does make a difference in making all state or honorable mention. Some of the best players in the state know when to take it easy on a team, but have a difficult time deciding to actually take the foot off of the gas because of this. I do not feel that a 7 or 8 point individual performance in a blowout game is worthy of an award but I do understand the dilemma.
I agree. You have kids who score 5 to 6 goals a game. Sure they are very talented players. But it may say more about who they played, then the player who played that day. In a post somewhere in this forum. Someone brought up the Hill goalie from a two years ago. She was a all conference goalie with an upper 958 SV%. I think someone said a traffic cone could of had a + 900SV%. She averaged less than 8-10 shots a game. More than likely from outside the face off circles to the blue line area with what she had in front of her. Was this an all conference performance by numbers?... Yes. Did she earn that title?... No. She was sent to a D1 school, then sent down to a D3. I'm not sure if she is currently playing anywhere. This sure didn't help her, or that work horse these stats overlooked because of her stellar numbers. The risk is there could of been a player out there that a D1 could of taken interest in, but overlooked because of these wacky numbers. In reference to all these awards these kids strive for - All State, or All Conference, or what ever it maybe should be looked at more objectively. Maybe combine SOS with possible onsite visits. Who knows what the answer is. But these numbers on the Hub should not be followed blindly that's for sure. But maybe a good indicator what the player could be. The coaches should be honest with themselves, and their players. Yes if your good enough you will more than likely be noticed. But for this discussion they need to step out of their office (and the bench) and do their jobs no matter who the player plays for, or what particular game/award she is being judged for that week.

Rugland

Post by Rugland » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:21 pm

I also agree. The games in question had a combined score of 94-7 I believe. Lets try and reward the players that bust their butts playing to a 2-1 win and have to work hard for the points. Getting 5 goals against a team that might win 5 games all year and then getting pick as 'Athlete of the Week' because of it would be like HS player beating up on a Youth player and getting a trophy for it (oh wait, we have that happen too).

The bottom line is we have no say with the selections and it will not change. And 'YES' I would be happy to help find good candidates for Athlete of the Week.

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:39 am

I see no problem with the Hub getting some different names out there than the same 5 girls that get all the press all season long.

So a couple of girls from outside the metro had a 5 or 6 point night and now the Strib is getting some internet clicks for votes. It's about the website hits, and if someone from a small community can generate some clicks and interest in the sport for having a good game, then so be it. Girls hockey is probably better for it.

Is 10 nominees too many? Probably. Is there anything wrong with getting some kids recognition that wouldn't normally get it? Not in my opinion.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 am

Maybe they could use a handful of players from the 10 big games of the week (which I think that they do a solid job with each week). Then have a couple of others from random games from all the rest of the games of the week (many of which will be crazy games with crazy stats...).