Class A Rankings 12-18-16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who should be ranked higher?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:12 am

Breck
11%
Hermantown
89%

Total votes: 19

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

greenwayraider wrote:TRF lost 9-0 to Hermantown in TRF and only had 4 shots on goal the entire game.
Yeah, they get badly outshot most every game I believe.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:Re: Princeton, Seems like your not really familiar with AA teams or maybe it doesn't matter for these rankings but I don't think there favored against AA teams Rogers, Buffalo and N St. Paul, a team that is much improved this year.
Those definitely look like the toughest games on the schedule, but I'd probably put my money on Princeton if the games were to happen today. There's lots of season left and much to be learned, but none of them seem amazing, each with a questionable result or two, while there are really no knocks against Princeton yet. Just one man's opinion.
HShockeywatcher

6A

Cathedral would seem to be the favorite and the 4-0 win over Fergus and 3-3 tie with Alexandria puts them at least in the top 3, but there's a few more games to be played. Alex tied Cathedral and lost by 1 on the road to Fergus. Little Falls is 4-1 in section play, but lost to Alex 9-3 and their win over Fergus is a close 1-0, along with an OT win over River Lakes. Then there's Sartell with a 5-1 win over River Lakes and 2-0 road win over Fergus.

So basically, there isn't much sorted out at this point. Fergus is probably the only team listed that doesn't technically control their own destiny here. With Fergus, Alex and Sartell in the same conference and lots of inter-sectional play, this will sort itself out...

1 Sartell
2 Cathedral
3 Alexandria
4 Fergus Falls
5 Little Falls
HShockeywatcher

7A

It's unlikely that Hermantown will be anything but the favorite now and going into sections. They have yet to play any section opponents, but 6 of their 10 Class A opponents are section opponents; Greenway, Denfeld, Proctor, Virginia and the last two games of the season are on the road against Eveleth and Hibbing. They have played 7 games thus far; 2 shutouts and 5 games with 1 GA. How long will that continue? Can Greenway or Hibbing compete with them?
Greenway and Hibbing have played twice, with the home team winning both and Greenway winning the most recent. Greenway also has 1 goal wins over both Virginia and Eveleth.

The top team is clear and the next two are clear...for now

1 Hermantown
2 Greenway
3 Hibbing
4 Virginia
5 Eveleth
rainier

Post by rainier »

HShockeywatcher wrote:7A

It's unlikely that Hermantown will be anything but the favorite now and going into sections. They have yet to play any section opponents, but 6 of their 10 Class A opponents are section opponents; Greenway, Denfeld, Proctor, Virginia and the last two games of the season are on the road against Eveleth and Hibbing. They have played 7 games thus far; 2 shutouts and 5 games with 1 GA. How long will that continue? Can Greenway or Hibbing compete with them?
Greenway and Hibbing have played twice, with the home team winning both and Greenway winning the most recent. Greenway also has 1 goal wins over both Virginia and Eveleth.

The top team is clear and the next two are clear...for now

1 Hermantown
2 Greenway
3 Hibbing
4 Virginia
5 Eveleth
I don't think anyone in 7A can compete with Hermantown. I don't think anyone in Class A can compete with Hermantown, for that matter. It's nothing short of a crime that last year's and this year's Hawk teams weren't given the chance to compete against the best in AA. With Hermantown's Pee Wees and Squirts both being amongst the best in the state right now, it won't be long before they will be back to being as good as they have been the past two seasons, so hopefully the right decision will have been made by then.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
HShockeywatcher

8A

This is East Grand Forks' section to lose.
They've beaten section opponents 8-0, 6-1 and 4-0, the 4-0 being over Warroad. They don't play Thief River Falls for another month, but TRF has also beaten Warroad, by a score of 3-1.
They have 2 other common opponent;, Crookston, that EGF beat 6-1 and TRF beat 3-2, and Totino, that EGF beat by 1 and TRF lost to by 2.
Until the 2 play on Jan 24th, it looks like...

1 East Grand Forks
2 Thief River Falls
3-11 Everyone else
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:Re: Princeton, Seems like your not really familiar with AA teams or maybe it doesn't matter for these rankings but I don't think there favored against AA teams Rogers, Buffalo and N St. Paul, a team that is much improved this year.
Those definitely look like the toughest games on the schedule, but I'd probably put my money on Princeton if the games were to happen today. There's lots of season left and much to be learned, but none of them seem amazing, each with a questionable result or two, while there are really no knocks against Princeton yet. Just one man's opinion.
We'll see but what quality win does princeton have? Sure buffalo lost to Monti but i bet thats an abberation. Buffalo has wins against AA STMA and St. Cloud competitive games against better AA teams like Bemidji, moorehead. N St paul has nice win vs Tarten and moundsview.
HShockeywatcher

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
We'll see but what quality win does princeton have? Sure buffalo lost to Monti but i bet thats an abberation. Buffalo has wins against AA STMA and St. Cloud competitive games against better AA teams like Bemidji, moorehead. N St paul has nice win vs Tarten and moundsview.
What has you convinced that one game was an aberration but not others?
Princeton has 2 shut outs and allowed 1 or 2 goals in their other 3 games, along with a win over over a team that beat Buffalo. I'm not anointing them; there just isn't anything on their schedule yet to suggest they're they're not good. It's also possible that their holiday tournament doesn't help a lot, depending on the result of the Chaska game.
Buffalo has had a very interesting season thus far; I bet the game between these two will be good.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Those definitely look like the toughest games on the schedule, but I'd probably put my money on Princeton if the games were to happen today. There's lots of season left and much to be learned, but none of them seem amazing, each with a questionable result or two, while there are really no knocks against Princeton yet. Just one man's opinion.
What has you convinced that one game was an aberration but not others?
Princeton has 2 shut outs and allowed 1 or 2 goals in their other 3 games, along with a win over over a team that beat Buffalo. I'm not anointing them; there just isn't anything on their schedule yet to suggest they're they're not good. It's also possible that their holiday tournament doesn't help a lot, depending on the result of the Chaska game.
Buffalo has had a very interesting season thus far; I bet the game between these two will be good.
An abberation deviates from from normal. Buffalo has several good wins and what looks like competitive games vs. top 8AA so loss to the lone A team they played would seem to be the abberation no?

Princeton shut out come against 1-8 A team and A team that is 4-6 with wins agaisnt moose lake chisago etc.

Not Princeton hater but baffles me how A team is favored against AA teams that play far tougher schedule and win their share.

But we shall see
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

HShockeywatcher wrote:8A

They've beaten section opponents 8-0, 6-1 and 4-0, the 4-0 being over Warroad. They don't play Thief River Falls for another month, but TRF has also beaten Warroad, by a score of 3-1.
They have 2 other common opponent;, Crookston, that EGF beat 6-1 and TRF beat 3-2, and Totino, that EGF beat by 1 and TRF lost to by 2.

1 East Grand Forks
2 Thief River Falls
3-11 Everyone else

I believe, by the end of the year, Warroad will surpass TRF. Yes TRF won their first meeting, but Warroad outshot TRF by a lot. I believe it was 39 to 15. The TRF goalie obviously had a heck of a night. So, unless their goalie can play that way all year, TRF will probably lose to Warroad next time. At least that is what I believe. :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Predicting that this is Delano's last week at #1.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

pekyman wrote:Predicting that this is Delano's last week at #1.
Yup, I suspect right after tomorrow evening.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Does anyone know if the Hermantown vs Delano game will be streaming online anywhere?
twincitiespuckmind

Post by twincitiespuckmind »

Hermit wrote:Does anyone know if the Hermantown vs Delano game will be streaming online anywhere?
Know one seems to know? You would think MSBN would try and pick the game up?
zamboniexhaustinhaler

1 East Grand Forks
2 Thief River Falls
3-11 Everyone else
Fwiw, TRF was badly outplayed in both the Warroad and Crookston victories.

Credit goes to their goalie for those.

But yeah, with EGF/TRF for 1-2, with that a very distant 2.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

TTpuckster wrote:

1 East Grand Forks
2 Thief River Falls
3-11 Everyone else

I believe, by the end of the year, Warroad will surpass TRF. Yes TRF won their first meeting, but Warroad outshot TRF by a lot. I believe it was 39 to 15. The TRF goalie obviously had a heck of a night. So, unless their goalie can play that way all year, TRF will probably lose to Warroad next time. At least that is what I believe. :mrgreen:
Me too.