2016-17 Undefeated and Winless Teams

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

2016-17 Undefeated and Winless Teams

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Thought I would add a thread again this year with separate groupings for each class listing teams that have yet to lose - or win - a game this season. It seems that there is more parity this season, as fewer teams make the list in each category as we enter the New Year.

Undefeated - Class AA
Brainerd/Little Falls (13-0-0)
Edina (12-0-1)

Winless - Class AA
Duluth (0-14-0)

Undefeated - Class A
None*

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-9-0)
Morris/Benson (0-7-0)

* Blake is 9-2-1 with both losses coming at the hands of Class AA schools Hill-Murray and Eden Prairie
goaline

Re: 2016-17 Undefeated and Winless Teams

Post by goaline »

Chip off Duluth and Brainerd from the list, and get rid of the asterisk for Blake who should be playing AA hockey anyhow

MNHockeyFan wrote:Thought I would add a thread again this year with separate groupings for each class listing teams that have yet to lose - or win - a game this season. It seems that there is more parity this season, as fewer teams make the list in each category as we enter the New Year.

Undefeated - Class AA
Edina (12-0-1)

Winless - Class AA
Duluth (0-14-0)

Undefeated - Class A
None*

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-9-0)
Morris/Benson (0-7-0)

* Blake is 9-2-1 with both losses coming at the hands of Class AA schools Hill-Murray and Eden Prairie
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

goaline wrote:Chip off Duluth and Brainerd from the list, and get rid of the asterisk for Blake who should be playing AA hockey anyhow
Agreed. Here's a simple solution for MSHSL.

If any class A team plays more than 20% of it's non conference games against AA opponents, they must participate in AA sections. This way Blake and private schools like Blake will have to choose to beat up on single A teams all year, instead of just playoffs and state. They obviously have no interest in playing crappy single A teams unless it means adding a trophy to the case.

Of course they'll have to add verbage saying they can't play Breck and United 25 times in one season.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
goaline wrote:Chip off Duluth and Brainerd from the list, and get rid of the asterisk for Blake who should be playing AA hockey anyhow

If any class A team plays more than 20% of it's non conference games against AA opponents, they must participate in AA sections. This way Blake and private schools like Blake will have to choose to beat up on single A teams all year, instead of just playoffs and state. They obviously have no interest in playing crappy single A teams unless it means adding a trophy to the case.

Of course they'll have to add verbage saying they can't play Breck and United 25 times in one season.
I like the idea...probably should be more like 50%. Breck, United, and Blake are all in the same conference.

It should/could be interesting to see if any changes are made for next season with Sections and A/AA stuff. Doesn't that happen every 2 years? If Blake wins again (Breck certainly has a chance of winning the section with Zumwinkle) wonder if the MSHSL will make them move up.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

massalsa wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:

I like the idea...probably should be more like 50%. Breck, United, and Blake are all in the same conference.

It should/could be interesting to see if any changes are made for next season with Sections and A/AA stuff. Doesn't that happen every 2 years? If Blake wins again (Breck certainly has a chance of winning the section with Zumwinkle) wonder if the MSHSL will make them move up.[/quote

One thing, the MSHSL cannot make Blake move up...
Also, be sure, if Blake chooses to move up, Breck most definitely will not.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

nu2hockey wrote:

If they can move 2A schools down to 1A I would assume they can move them the other way, too. They have no interest in making that happen, though, for sure.

I don't understand the appeal of winning single A titles when you have the ability to win at a higher level. You're essentially winning a 2A JV title. WOOHOO!

That title plus 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

If they can move 2A schools down to 1A I would assume they can move them the other way, too. They have no interest in making that happen, though, for sure.

I don't understand the appeal of winning single A titles when you have the ability to win at a higher level. You're essentially winning a 2A JV title. WOOHOO!

Those teams petitioned to move, and the MSHSL ruled on their petition,,,
Saint Thomas Academy,Hermantown,Blake, all three have been juggernauts in class A, yet, the league could not make them move into a higher class. That would take a change in the league's by-laws, not sure the membership wants that power given to the few who sit on the board.( the mishandling of transfer/move issues comes to mind)

In a perfect girls' hockey world, I think a few changes would be awesome.

a few moves come to mind
Have Blake,EP, Edina in sec2AA,
Tonka back in sec6AA with Breck added(Breck then might see the X)
CDH,SPU in sec 4AA
MV/Irondale co-op and move to sec 7AA

sec 2,4,6 and 7 would be a lot of fun
maybe someday
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

nu2hockey wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

Saint Thomas Academy,Hermantown,Blake, all three have been juggernauts in class A, yet, the league could not make them move into a higher class. That would take a change in the league's by-laws, not sure the membership wants that power given to the few who sit on the board.( the mishandling of transfer/move issues comes to mind)

a few moves come to mind
CDH,SPU in sec 4AA

maybe someday
There's no reason for MV and Irondale to co-op at the high school level. Both programs have enough skaters for varsity and JV teams.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Thought I would add a thread again this year with separate groupings for each class listing teams that have yet to lose - or win - a game this season. It seems that there is more parity this season, as fewer teams make the list in each category as we enter the New Year.

Undefeated - Class AA
Edina (12-0-1)

Winless - Class AA
Duluth (0-14-0)

Undefeated - Class A
None

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-9-0)
Morris/Benson (0-7-0)
Brainerd/Little Falls "falls" to Grand Rapids/Greenway by a 0-1 score, leaving Edina, now 13-0-1, as the only undefeated team in AA.
Also on Tuesday Duluth beat Duluth Marshall 6-4 to escape from the Winless AA list. Everyone in AA has now won at least once.
Meanwhile in Class A Worthington almost pulled out a win yesterday, but lost 2-3 to Waseca.
And Morris/Benson hasn't played since December 20th, but they'll get a real good chance to win one on Saturday when they play Worthington.

Undefeated - Class AA
Edina (13-0-1)

Winless - Class AA
None

Undefeated - Class A
None

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-10-0)
Morris/Benson (0-8-0)
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

jg2112 wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote: If they can move 2A schools down to 1A I would assume they can move them the other way, too. They have no interest in making that happen, though, for sure.

a few moves come to mind
CDH,SPU in sec 4AA

maybe someday
There's no reason for MV and Irondale to co-op at the high school level. Both programs have enough skaters for varsity and JV teams.

Yes.....now, you have 2 AA size schools co-oped at assoc level ...their future numbers are definitely a concern...hence the co-op
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

nu2hockey wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

a few moves come to mind
CDH,SPU in sec 4AA

maybe someday

Yes.....now, you have 2 AA size schools co-oped at assoc level ...their future numbers are definitely a concern...hence the co-op
Looking at the youth numbers on the webpage now. I see 60+ skaters in total at the U10 and U12 levels. That should be enough to have two separate high school programs into the future. Beyond that, who knows. Hardly any of the non-blue bloods can predict that far.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

MV/I has a 12ua, and two 12ub teams, each team has10/11 skaters. Then there are a 10ua and a 10ub with 14/15 skaters per team. No 15U teams. So each high school, theoretically, (assuming 50/50) has one line of girls playing 12ua hockey,and 7 playing 10ua.

60 total over 4 years is not enought to reasonably form 4 teams (jv,v) for two AA schools. Certainly, one of the schools will suffer if not both...Hopefully, the schools and associations are working to help these numbers...Woodbury association would be a similar situation, feeding 2 high school teams.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

nu2hockey wrote:MV/I has a 12ua, and two 12ub teams, each team has10/11 skaters. Then there are a 10ua and a 10ub with 14/15 skaters per team. No 15U teams. So each high school, theoretically, (assuming 50/50) has one line of girls playing 12ua hockey,and 7 playing 10ua.

60 total over 4 years is not enought to reasonably form 4 teams (jv,v) for two AA schools. Certainly, one of the schools will suffer if not both...Hopefully, the schools and associations are working to help these numbers...Woodbury association would be a similar situation, feeding 2 high school teams.
You mentioned MV/I does not have a U15 team. The high school rosters for both schools have a number of 8th graders. Even a 7th grader at Irondale.

That's the way forward for most schools, isn't it - looking at the 8-12 grades to find 30 skaters and a couple of goalies. So long as that's an option, and it looks like it here, there won't be a co-op.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Since my last update Edina has won three more games to go 16-0-1 to remain the state's lone undefeated team. In their last four games they have not allowed a goal, and over the course of the season they are holding their opponents to a goals against average of 1.06.

And at the other end of the spectrum Worthington becomes the state's lone winless team. Previously winless Morris/Benson defeated the Trojans this past Saturday by a 5-2 score to escape the list.

Undefeated - Class AA
Edina (16-0-1)

Winless - Class AA
None

Undefeated - Class A
None

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-10-0)
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Blake 2. Edina 1

Anyone see the game?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

nu2hockey wrote:Blake 2. Edina 1

Anyone see the game?
Did not, was at the X tonight, but wow, not too often when a team gets only two shots total on net in the first two periods - and just 11 total for the game - yet manages to win the game. I also see that all three goals came on the power play, with Edina converting one of two (very good) vs. Blake's two of three (even better). So penalties and power plays - plus some apparent excellent goaltending by Blake's Olivia Bizal who had 23 saves - were the obvious stories of the game.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

As noted above Edina finally lost a game, which leaves no unbeaten teams in the State, in either class. But the Hornets made a heckuva run and should be congratulated. Who knows, the loss to an outstanding Blake team may end up helping them through the playoffs, and then possibly the State Tournament.

Meanwhile poor Worthington is now down to its last three games to get in the win column. Have to have empathy for those girls, can't be very much fun. :cry:

Undefeated - Class AA
None

Winless - Class AA
None

Undefeated - Class A
None

Winless - Class A
Worthington (0-17-0)