HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Results, Records and Rarities
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
G is M says:

(Agree about the Centennial 3 shutouts, often underrated)

Against teams ranked 2,3, & 4 no less.

When is that going to happen again?
=================================

Safe to safe is never going to happen again!


As I recall, Centennial was lucky to make it out of sections that year...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goldyismoldy



Joined: 13 Jan 2015
Posts: 308

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparlimb wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
G is M says:

(Agree about the Centennial 3 shutouts, often underrated)

Against teams ranked 2,3, & 4 no less.

When is that going to happen again?
=================================

Safe to safe is never going to happen again!


As I recall, Centennial was lucky to make it out of sections that year...


If you can't beat them, get them thrown out of your section.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldy313



Joined: 05 Mar 2002
Posts: 2923

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 shutouts is overlooked far too much....
The 1977 John Marshall team was the tourney and team that defined Cinderella for me...
Reggie Miracle.....
The buzzer sounding and the mass exodus to the concourse to light 'em up, the blue haze in the Civic Center......
Clear boards.....

From the site...... I had forgotten in 1989 how the place was 90/10 in favor of John Marshall, when Marshall took a 4-3 lead over Jefferson with less than 5 minutes left it may have been the loudest the state tournament crowd has ever been. Inexplicably JM takes a penalty off the ensuing faceoff, Jefferson scores to tie it up and eventually wins in overtime......setting up their run over the next few years.

The demise of South Saint Paul, Minneapolis Southwest, Richfield, John Marshall, International Falls, etc....you can probably add Jefferson and Roseau to that list too. The teams of my youth.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryguyMN



Joined: 21 Feb 2016
Posts: 245
Location: SW Metro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldy313 wrote:
The 3 shutouts is overlooked far too much....
The 1977 John Marshall team was the tourney and team that defined Cinderella for me...
Reggie Miracle.....
The buzzer sounding and the mass exodus to the concourse to light 'em up, the blue haze in the Civic Center......
Clear boards.....

From the site...... I had forgotten in 1989 how the place was 90/10 in favor of John Marshall, when Marshall took a 4-3 lead over Jefferson with less than 5 minutes left it may have been the loudest the state tournament crowd has ever been. Inexplicably JM takes a penalty off the ensuing faceoff, Jefferson scores to tie it up and eventually wins in overtime......setting up their run over the next few years.

The demise of South Saint Paul, Minneapolis Southwest, Richfield, John Marshall, International Falls, etc....you can probably add Jefferson and Roseau to that list too. The teams of my youth.......


Rumors of Jefferson's demise might be greatly exaggerated. They're playing in the 3AA championship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tartan takes a 1-0 3rd period lead on WBL. Queue the Fire Sager thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final. 1-0 Tartan.

I wish I could say I didn't see it coming. I won't say more, because there are passionate WBL fans here and they don't deserve more needling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goldyismoldy



Joined: 13 Jan 2015
Posts: 308

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparlimb wrote:
Final. 1-0 Tartan.

I wish I could say I didn't see it coming. I won't say more, because there are passionate WBL fans here and they don't deserve more needling.


Sparlimb the compassionate? Man, are you getting old...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldyismoldy wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
Final. 1-0 Tartan.

I wish I could say I didn't see it coming. I won't say more, because there are passionate WBL fans here and they don't deserve more needling.


Sparlimb the compassionate? Man, are you getting old...


Well I was going to wait at least another 15 minutes. My team is next for the Titan machine, so I better be careful what rocks I throw...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
50in15



Joined: 21 Feb 2016
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennial's defense was unreal that week. They gave up about 2 scoring chances in 3 games, maybe exaggerating but not by much. I am pretty sure 2004 led to the seeding process so 2,3,4 won't happen again.

I think the 4 upsets in same day slightly over shadows how big an upset lakville south over east was. This was before lakeville north became a presence and section 1 was the whipping boy. East was dominate that year. Everyone assumed it was going to be 6-7 goal game.


1993 Austin was before I started attending, so I could be wrong, but could anyone be worse than 1998 owatonna? 😄
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50in15 wrote:
Centennial's defense was unreal that week. They gave up about 2 scoring chances in 3 games, maybe exaggerating but not by much. I am pretty sure 2004 led to the seeding process so 2,3,4 won't happen again.

I think the 4 upsets in same day slightly over shadows how big an upset lakville south over east was. This was before lakeville north became a presence and section 1 was the whipping boy. East was dominate that year. Everyone assumed it was going to be 6-7 goal game.


1993 Austin was before I started attending, so I could be wrong, but could anyone be worse than 1998 owatonna? 😄


Austin was the #7 seed in their own section. I don't think that's ever been replicated. Although they had a decent record that year according to HAL (18-7 or something like that).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
east hockey
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2002
Posts: 6617
Location: Proctor, MN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparlimb wrote:
50in15 wrote:
Centennial's defense was unreal that week. They gave up about 2 scoring chances in 3 games, maybe exaggerating but not by much. I am pretty sure 2004 led to the seeding process so 2,3,4 won't happen again.

I think the 4 upsets in same day slightly over shadows how big an upset lakville south over east was. This was before lakeville north became a presence and section 1 was the whipping boy. East was dominate that year. Everyone assumed it was going to be 6-7 goal game.


1993 Austin was before I started attending, so I could be wrong, but could anyone be worse than 1998 owatonna? 😄


Austin was the #7 seed in their own section. I don't think that's ever been replicated. Although they had a decent record that year according to HAL (18-7 or something like that).


Chisago Lakes went to the state tourney in 1995 as an #8 seed in Section 2A.

Lee
_________________
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
50in15



Joined: 21 Feb 2016
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparlimb wrote:
50in15 wrote:
Centennial's defense was unreal that week. They gave up about 2 scoring chances in 3 games, maybe exaggerating but not by much. I am pretty sure 2004 led to the seeding process so 2,3,4 won't happen again.

I think the 4 upsets in same day slightly over shadows how big an upset lakville south over east was. This was before lakeville north became a presence and section 1 was the whipping boy. East was dominate that year. Everyone assumed it was going to be 6-7 goal game.


1993 Austin was before I started attending, so I could be wrong, but could anyone be worse than 1998 owatonna? 😄


Austin was the #7 seed in their own section. I don't think that's ever been replicated. Although they had a decent record that year according to HAL (18-7 or something like that).


Valid point, Austin win/loses for worst AA ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldy313



Joined: 05 Mar 2002
Posts: 2923

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin was the 6 seed. Their quarterfinal game with JM ended with two JM players fighting each other in the corner. It is not against the rules to fight your own team.....Austin went on to best #7 Albert Lea and #1 Owatonna.

Winning one game eliminates you as the worst team ever.......for my money it was the 2009 Century team. At least out of 1AA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WarmUpTheBus



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Posts: 495

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoopskater wrote:
1992-93 Bloomington Jefferson the best team all time? Those guys were unreal.
'92, '93 and '94 teams were combined 79-3-2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
50in15



Joined: 21 Feb 2016
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1993 seems to be the most unique collection of teams with 3 teams in first tournament. Can anyone shed some light on how that happened. Ton of upsets in sections?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HappyHockeyFan



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Location: Lakeville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the 1985 QF game between Jefferson and Minnetonka that went to 4 overtimes in the first game of the night session. They stopped the game and made them come back early the next morning to finish the game. I hope that NEVER happens again. Jefferson ended up winning and then losing that night to eventual Champion Burnsville.
_________________
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
507Ole



Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could spend (not waste) hours on this site!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
east hockey
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2002
Posts: 6617
Location: Proctor, MN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50in15 wrote:
1993 seems to be the most unique collection of teams with 3 teams in first tournament. Can anyone shed some light on how that happened. Ton of upsets in sections?


Some upsets. Of the first-timers, Austin was a #7 seed in their section, Elk River was #2, Park Center a #3 seed.

Lee
_________________
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
east hockey
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2002
Posts: 6617
Location: Proctor, MN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Yoopskater wrote:
1992-93 Bloomington Jefferson the best team all time? Those guys were unreal.
'92, '93 and '94 teams were combined 79-3-2.


Closest I can find was the '63-'65 International Falls teams which three-peated with a record of 65-3-1. But they had a five year run from '62-'66 with four titles and a 2nd place, and a 104-6-4 record.

I don't know what the '48-'51 Eveleth team's record was on route to four straight titles. They were the original and most dominant dynasty, albeit with far fewer teams playing statewide than what we have now.

Lee
_________________
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sparlimb



Joined: 05 Feb 2002
Posts: 1475

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

east hockey wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Yoopskater wrote:
1992-93 Bloomington Jefferson the best team all time? Those guys were unreal.
'92, '93 and '94 teams were combined 79-3-2.


Closest I can find was the '63-'65 International Falls teams which three-peated with a record of 65-3-1. But they had a five year run from '62-'66 with four titles and a 2nd place, and a 104-6-4 record.

I don't know what the '48-'51 Eveleth team's record was on route to four straight titles. They were the original and most dominant dynasty, albeit with far fewer teams playing statewide than what we have now.

Lee


I'm guessing Eveleth probably played about 15 games in a season back then. But they were clearly a step above everyone else.

Hill's best was 1980-1983 at 94-10...

Not that anyone cares, but I remember Hill playing Edina on tv early in the regular season in 1987 (87-88 season) and Hill's JV was on a winning streak of over a 100 games. But no way to compare that to anyone else...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stang5280



Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 337

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Park Center 1993 Reply with quote

50in15 wrote:
1993 seems to be the most unique collection of teams with 3 teams in first tournament. Can anyone shed some light on how that happened. Ton of upsets in sections?


This is much belated, but I wanted to add some context regarding Park Centerís 1993 state tournament appearance. Without giving away too many personal details, I grew up playing in the Brooklyn Park system slightly ahead of the 1993 Park Center seniors, so I have some insight regarding that era of the program. Following is a fairly lengthy explanation of the various factors that led to their tournament appearance.

It may be hard to believe now, but for many years Brooklyn Park had one of the stronger youth programs in the state. However, the program was aligned along city boundaries and BP residents could attend any of the following high schools: Park Center, Osseo, Anoka (later Champlin Park), Brooklyn Center, or Cooper. So while the program primarily fed into Park Center, the hockey talent from those youth teams was often divvied up to a number of other schools, most notably Osseo (see Trent Klatt).

The juniors and seniors who formed the core of the 1993 Park Center team were fairly talented and experienced quite a bit of success in the youth ranks. Whether by coincidence or design, nearly every one of the Bantam A players from those year groups lived within the PC boundaries. One significant player left for Hill Murray, but otherwise the usual talent drain was avoided. There was one star player, Craig Anderson, who was a junior in 1993 and later became a First Team All-WCHA defenseman for Wisconsin.

Gary Stefano was hired as Park Centerís coach prior to the 1991-92 season. Stefano immediately changed the program culture and recognized the younger talent in place. Under the previous regime morale was constantly low and players would often quit or leave for greener pastures. (Stefano departed for the new Maple Grove High School in 1996, along with many of the longer tenured faculty.)

Park Center had a very good regular season by their standards, playing in the Lake Red Conference with Apple Valley, Armstrong, Burnsville, Jefferson, Kennedy, Osseo, and Rosemount. One of the highlights was actually a loss, by one goal to Jefferson, which I believe was the Jaguarsí only win by less than a three goal margin all year.

The section was quite weak, with Park Center seeded third behind Wayzata and Minnetonka, and Osseo and Eden Prairie as the four and five seeds, respectively. This may sound like a group of death now. However, Wayzata was a perennial underachiever that hadnít been to state in decades, Tonka was in somewhat of a down cycle, and EP was coming off their first trip to state and was several years from becoming a consistent power. After squeaking by Cooper in the quarterfinals, PC crushed Tonka 5-0 in the semis. Meanwhile, Osseo knocked off EP and Wayzata, setting up a matchup between the neighboring rivals in the final. Park Center scored a late game-tying goal, and then went on to win in OT to clinch their first, and almost certainly only state tourney berth. (As an aside, this was fair turnabout after being stuck for years in a ridiculously gerrymandered section that spanned from Stillwater to Osseo and basically ensured Hill Murray a trip to the old Civic Center.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links:

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group