Section 7AA Final: GR vs. DE

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Thunder Indians
69%
Greyhounds
31%

Total votes: 48

Slammer

Section 7AA Final: GR vs. DE

Post by Slammer »

Thursday, 7pm @Amsoil Arena

Another sectional final home game for East.

I give the slight edge to East for four reasons.

1. Home ice

2. Randolph's experience

3. GR's lack of discipline compared to East'a disciplined style of play

4. Kirk Meiheroff's recent work (was outstanding against Cloquet)

Who you got?
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

I played Hockey from 6-18 years old, so please explain the "grueling" trek from Grand Rapids..... IMO We felt more intensity , more of a build up on a little road trip
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

But... That said.. ( Sorry I didn't answer the question )

I'm going:
East - 4
Rapids - 3
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

GPGT wrote:I played Hockey from 6-18 years old, so please explain the "grueling" trek from Grand Rapids..... IMO We felt more intensity , more of a build up on a little road trip
Not saying they can or will, but if GR plays like they did the last 7 minutes against ER, then DE will lose by a couple goals.'The big 3 HMM for GR...are that talented.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

hockey59 wrote:
GPGT wrote:I played Hockey from 6-18 years old, so please explain the "grueling" trek from Grand Rapids..... IMO We felt more intensity , more of a build up on a little road trip
Not saying they can or will, but if GR plays like they did the last 7 minutes against ER, then DE will lose by a couple goals.'The big 3 HMM for GR...are that talented.
I think all three were playing when they met earlier this season. Wasn't a problem then, but maybe it will be now.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Do they have running time in playoffs?
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Agreed. And more pressure being at home.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I would be surprised if the game isn't decided in the last few seconds of regulation or OT. That's just the way it is when these two play in the post season. I'll go with a Micah Miller goal to win in OT.

You had to know I was going Injuns. :)
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Slammer wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
I think all three were playing when they met earlier this season. Wasn't a problem then, but maybe it will be now.
Look for Randolph to open up the game a little bit and if he get a lead he will drop into that classic trap style that he used on GR a few years ago. Issue is going to be goal tending. That goalie for Rapids is a big kid who has no rebound control. Pucks come off of him like a tennis ball off of a concrete wall. The hounds will be crashing the net looking for rebounds on Thursday night. All in all Rapids has to maintain their composure and has to really focus on clearing rebounds from in front of their net.

Rapids 4
East 2

With an empty netter.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Goldyismoldy wrote:Do they have running time in playoffs?
Somebody who wasted their money going to the Hermantown game tonight can answer that one. Last I heard it was 9 to 0.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Wet Paint wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:Do they have running time in playoffs?
Somebody who wasted their money going to the Hermantown game tonight can answer that one. Last I heard it was 9 to 0.
Had to be just parents.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Wet Paint wrote:
Look for Randolph to open up the game a little bit and if he get a lead he will drop into that classic trap style that he used on GR a few years ago.
The same trap he said for years should be outlawed in high school hockey?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree this is likely to be a one goal last minute game again.

Hoping Kniven sets up his webcam at home again!
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Agree this is likely to be a one goal last minute game again.

Hoping Kniven sets up his webcam at home again!
Yes! I will certainly do that...it will be on my parascope channel for my metro forum pals :)))
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I love Randolph and what East can bring to the table. But I think Rapids wins this game. Huge win today for momentum and they did it last year. Talent wins this one if Klatt can get his boys to play to their potential.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Kniven, Will you be providing a direct link for that?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Wet Paint wrote:
Slammer wrote:
hockey59 wrote: Not saying they can or will, but if GR plays like they did the last 7 minutes against ER, then DE will lose by a couple goals.'The big 3 HMM for GR...are that talented.
Look for Randolph to open up the game a little bit and if he get a lead he will drop into that classic trap style that he used on GR a few years ago. Issue is going to be goal tending. That goalie for Rapids is a big kid who has no rebound control. Pucks come off of him like a tennis ball off of a concrete wall. The hounds will be crashing the net looking for rebounds on Thursday night. All in all Rapids has to maintain their composure and has to really focus on clearing rebounds from in front of their net.

Rapids 4
East 2

With an empty netter.
I think Stejskal did a great job of keeping GR in it and giving them the opportunity for that flurry late. I was only following on radio but the play by play guys didn't mention anything negative about his performance. The goalie rotation has worked great all year and I really don't recall a bad game by either. I have no idea what the plan is for Thursday but I would assume Holum will get the next start. It's the way the 2 have done it for many years and they both seem to be very comfortable with it.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

I was a little disappointed WDIO didn't offer a stream last year, hopefully that changes this year but I highly doubt it. Anyway this Rapids team reminds me of the Patty White era, they just find ways to win. I'll take the Halloween Machine 4-3, the big three for Rapids should show out.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Kniven, Will you be providing a direct link for that?
I'll probably just use high school cube. I've used it in the past and works well. I post the link here.
kniven

Post by kniven »

GPGT wrote:But... That said.. ( Sorry I didn't answer the question )

I'm going:
East - 4
Rapids - 3
I'll be rooting for both teams. Either would be an awesome rep from 7AA in the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament ( which I hope to experience with my team before I die).

My pick. I'm going to have to take overall consistentcy over overall talent. It's like the ole saying, "defense wins championships ". So does consistency.

Duluth East. The New England Patriots of high school hockey. "You don't have the talent to match your opponent. ". Yea.....tell that to the Greyhounds or Pats! Are you kidding me....
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

kniven wrote:

I'm going:
East - 4
Rapids - 3
I'll be rooting for both teams. Either would be an awesome rep from 7AA in the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament ( which I hope to experience with my team before I die).

My pick. I'm going to have to take overall consistentcy over overall talent. It's like the ole saying, "defense wins championships ". So does consistency.

Duluth East. The New England Patriots of high school hockey. "You don't have the talent to match your opponent. ". Yea.....tell that to the Greyhounds or Pats! Are you kidding me....
Kniven,

Is it at all possible that Jamie Langenbrunner would ever take the head coaching job for Cloquet? Might seem crazy, but Jamie already seems to be helping out. If he was the head coach Cloquet would instantly become one of the hottest attractions for players to move to, and would probably recruit more than East already does.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Slammer wrote:
kniven wrote:

I'm going:
East - 4
Rapids - 3

Kniven,

Is it at all possible that Jamie Langenbrunner would ever take the head coaching job for Cloquet? Might seem crazy, but Jamie already seems to be helping out. If he was the head coach Cloquet would instantly become one of the hottest attractions for players to move to, and would probably recruit more than East already does.
Anything is possible. But this would be unlikely, I think. I watch a lot of practices. Esse and Jamie and Young and Hansen work together like so well. I watch the coaches probably as much as our boys. If Esse moved on to something else....I do think in that situation it would be a possibility, at least till his boys move on. Coach Young is fantastic as well and would be a long-term if Esse moved on.

Cloquet has not been an attractive destination for any body. Since I've been around anyway, 2010-2011. Do kids come for the coach or a chance to win it all. Our chances to win it all are forever slim. When we've got talent, that just means the tradional powers around us pick up their recruiting/attracting. Whatever you call it. Since I've been around, we've never had more than 1 player in the elite league. 1 year we had 3, Kuhlman and the Michaud's but all 3 left early. Heck..we loose players a lot more than we keep. On cloquets own NAHL team seems to think we are their personal feeder program. I had a glimpse of a lot of talent here. But greed ripped it to shreds. In the present day, you hurt someone feelings and you get your ass sued. 20 years ago, it would. E obvious to must that you have to work harder, that's all.

I don't want CEC to become a recruiting/attracting sess pool.
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Kniven, Will you be providing a direct link for that?
I'll probably just use high school cube. I've used it in the past and works well. I post the link here.
Watch Choir featuring schools HSC, HSC #cube http://thecube.com/e/719718
norcon

Post by norcon »

Slammer wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Were without Michael Heitkamp and Drake Anderson, though. Both very competent defensemen.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

GR needs to put a whole game together and stay focused. Even though I have personal stake in this team, I know that this will be a challenge. They can do it. Top players virtually unstoppable when they are playing the game not the outside issues. Come on guys. This one is for all the marbles. Leave no regrets out there.
And as far as CEC goes, anyone else remember wild Bill K? CEC has good coaching no doubt, but there was so much team loyalty on those old teams, no one would have left early. Miss those days.