Eden Prairie vs Holy Family - Section 2AA final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eden Prairie
62%
Holy Family
38%

Total votes: 47

BigWorm

Eden Prairie vs Holy Family - Section 2AA final

Post by BigWorm »

After watching both teams play yesterday, this should be an entertaining game on Wednesday night. Eden Prairie is led by a few high end horses, while Holy Family seems to have quality depth with a lot of team speed. This is basically a defacto state semi-final/final game. I'd like to see Casey again at the X, but Holy Family might be too much to handle.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

I think these are the two best teams in the state. I'll say HF gets the win.
blueblood

2AA

Post by blueblood »

this hype for this game started 1 year ago in the epic semifinal match which saw an apparent HF goal disallowed after an extended conversation btwn the assigned referees and included the goal judge early in the 3rd period.

Note to forum members, I was sitting on the extended goal line in the bench side corner of Braemar and thought this wasn't a goal to begin with due to a hand pass.

All the momentum that HF had at that time was killed, giving Ep an extended timeout of about 8 to 10 minutes.

Then late in the 3rd period, A HF player was called for slashing, putting Ep on the power, play where they scored the game winner.

Both teams are playing the best hockey of any of the remaining AA teams. Get to Mariucci early, as it could be an ESPN instant classic.
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

I love the contrast in style between the teams which should make for a great game. I don't THINK the big sheet of ice will ruin that either - hopefully. EP offensive power v. HF D corps. I'm guessing - like the state tourney often, an unsung player decides it. Should be played at a fast pace - even tho the rink size will make it look slower. Should be a fun showcase-like game with plenty of atmosphere. Can't wait!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

redtundra wrote:I love the contrast in style between the teams which should make for a great game. I don't THINK the big sheet of ice will ruin that either - hopefully. EP offensive power v. HF D corps. I'm guessing - like the state tourney often, an unsung player decides it. Should be played at a fast pace - even tho the rink size will make it look slower. Should be a fun showcase-like game with plenty of atmosphere. Can't wait!
Gotta say I've been looking forward to this matchup for a couple months. While EP is the favorite, HF has a chance to beat them if the game is low scoring. Should be the best 2AA final in years.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree with 59.

EP is favorite, but if HF D corp and Jared Moe can keep things close , maybe Almquist and Reddan can get a few and win it.

Somehow, HF has to figure a way for kids to stay fresh down the stretch into the 3rd period, cause big EP forwards can take a cumulative toll otherwise.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Eagles all the way. If O' Connell and the spuds can shred Holy Family for 6.....,,think about what Casey can do to them
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

How many people are expected to be at this game and how can you buy tickets prior to getting to the box office?
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Ref22 wrote:How many people are expected to be at this game and how can you buy tickets prior to getting to the box office?
I believe you have to go through the respective schools to get pre-order tickets.

That being said, I was not impressed with EP Saturday. Prior lake had a clear plan to collapse in front of the net and block shots and it worked for better than 2 periods. EP did not do a good job of passing the puck and creating, but rather just tried to pump pucks through multiple skaters. I don't see that working against Holy Family.

Prior Lakes lone goal was a SH goal on a terrible pinch by Leivermann, who I didn't think played a real strong game. He'll need to be better for EP to advance.

I'm taking Holy Family with the upset.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
blueblood

2AA

Post by blueblood »

clogging up the offensive zone on a NHL rink is as old as elliott70 :shock:

clogging up the offensive zone on an Olympic rink doesn't work, too much space
GoldyGopher

Re: 2AA

Post by GoldyGopher »

blueblood wrote:clogging up the offensive zone on a NHL rink is as old as elliott70 :shock:

clogging up the offensive zone on an Olympic rink doesn't work, too much space
shots fired
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I will say that CM finds a way to get back to the X. However it turns out I bet the last few minutes of this game are intense.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Latest poll results are 50/50 with 12 votes each out of 24 votes cast.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I'll take EP 3-1, with ENG. Holy Family gives EP a good game, but the Mittelstadt effect takes over Mariucci.

Besides, EP beat Stillwater and Stillwater beat Holy Family. :)
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Wow, best game of the year, cant wait. I have a hard time nailing down a winner here but I am going to go with defense and goaltending and Holy Family. Of course CM is the X factor, can he be denied another shot at a State Championship? See, now that I said Holy Family the other half of me is screaming, NO WAY! Its gotta be EP! we'll find out on Wednesday, can't wait. I'm calling overtime.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Why don't these 2 play each other during the regular season?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think EP in a close one. I think the underrated aspect of this game is that EP is not just all offense, all the time. I've watched them 3 times this year & they have a solid goalie. I didn't think last year's was a sieve, but he wasn't the type that was going to win a game for them. I think Wincek can be a difference maker for them if he has to be.

Plus, we all know that nobody in the SW suburbs is really going to let Noel Rahn advance to the X anyway..... :D
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

50in15

Because holy family is not part of the lake conference. So it would have to be a nonconference game. And there is a particular coach who will not agree to schedule this non conference match up. At this point, I think it is actually probably by mutual agreement that they will not schedule it. Maybe someday this will all be put behind them, but not for for seeable future. Others input?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

50IN15; West Metro: It more has to do with Noel was the EP Peewee A coach for many years. When HF started their varsity hockey program, Noel left EP. The first years he was poaching/recruiting EP kids to play for him at HF. Nothing really wrong with this, he need to field the best team possible and why not go after the EP kids he was familiar with. Smith and the EP faithful didn't like this. Hence, like Kentucky/Louisville bb for many years, why let the "little brother" have a chance to beat the "big brother" and if they do win, help them even more in taking our players. So EP won't schedule HF. GB
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Thank you GoldenBear. That makes sense. Very similar to Holy Angels/Jefferson back in the day.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

GoldenBear wrote:50IN15; West Metro: It more has to do with Noel was the EP Peewee A coach for many years. When HF started their varsity hockey program, Noel left EP. The first years he was poaching/recruiting EP kids to play for him at HF. Nothing really wrong with this, he need to field the best team possible and why not go after the EP kids he was familiar with. Smith and the EP faithful didn't like this. Hence, like Kentucky/Louisville bb for many years, why let the "little brother" have a chance to beat the "big brother" and if they do win, help them even more in taking our players. So EP won't schedule HF. GB
That scenario looks painfully familiar from a Duluth standpoint. It was framed slightly differently, but still the public/private thing.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Lee, Lee, Lee. It's time to put your big boy pants on and play the family during the regular season.
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

Clarkkent wrote:Lee, Lee, Lee. It's time to put your big boy pants on and play the family during the regular season.
There is no reason to help Noelle improve his strength of schedule - Wright County has all Mr Noelle can handle for now😘

I see he focused his attention hunting in the hornets nest now - maybe Mr Giles should consider not helping him in SOS next year 🐝

I personally think it's brilliant to keep them off the schedule- only one to gain anything is Noelle
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

Clarkkent wrote:Lee, Lee, Lee. It's time to put your big boy pants on and play the family during the regular season.
There is no reason to help Noelle improve his strength of schedule - Wright County has all Mr Noelle can handle for now😘

I see he focused his attention hunting in the hornets nest now - maybe Mr Giles should consider not helping him in SOS next year 🐝

I personally think it's brilliant to keep them off the schedule- only one to gain anything is Noelle
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

And by family you mean Hermantown right? 😆
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!